Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #61
xxx_probe
Starter Motor

hey all just found this site i have a 96 ford probe. i love my baby but cant fnd any one else like me in wa
xxx_probe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #62
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Default V8 Probe - ahh hahaha (jeez it would be good though)

Haha - that's a cracker re: wanting to change the drive from a front to a rear driven car if a V8 was fitted. It reminded me of a recent TopGear comparison done between the new Vectra, Peugeot 407 and Subaru Legacy. In a nutshell the Vectra has a great engine but understeers so badly you can put the wheels full lock to one side, punch the accelerator & keeping going straight ahead; with the front wheels doing pretty much nothing except shredding rubber & creating a cloud. I think the Probe with a V8 would produce similar results. Nah I think the engine is best left pretty much as is. A couple of years ago I saw on E-bay a guy trying to sell a full turbo kit he'd been messing around with on his Probe but he got sick of blowing gaskets - so the morale is 'enjoy what you've got'
My Probe is in great nick (knock on wood) but at some point I'd love to give the paintwork a bit of a lift. Not that it's bad (white) and it hasn't faded at all but a fresh gloss would be great. Has anyone got any ideas how much a paint job costs? Do you have to go back to bare bones or could you get he top coat sanded & then a couple a fresh layers & gloss applied?
Cheers. :eclipsee_
GotheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #63
majapi69
Captain, My Captain

Angry

Hey Guys,

I am spitting chips at the moment. Got a trip planned for the first week of the holidays coming up here in NSW, taking the girlfriend for a drive through some of the Hunter Valley towns where I lived when growing up then up to Coffs Harbour to finish off the last 4/5 days. Weather's forecast to be a treat. Just got a new digital camera, was planning on taking some good shots of the Cougar in all her glory. So what happens, some bastard backs into her while parked in the street and shoots through, no details left of course.

Damage not to major (one lucky point), front skirt snapped near the seam on the driver's side. Still driveable, got it taped up with 100 mile a hour tape. Going to have to be careful with the angles when it comes to photo shots. Trip is still going ahead but glow is already fading on the trip and we haven't even started yet.

Doubly dirty on this guy, was plenty of room around me when I parked and when I came back, so he must really have been a bad driver to me and then to go and not own up to what he had done. Wrong, wrong, majorly wrong.
majapi69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #64
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey majapi,

hmm, a few of us have had a bit of bad luck over the past few months with our Cougar's. It seems people just really don't care on the roads. The Arrow was hit by a guy in a Hyundai which resulted in a fair bit of damage from what I read, but his car has since been fixed up good as new.

Mine was rear-ended (softly thank God) by a truck, the driver was talking on his mobile phone at a set of lights and didn't cover the brake pedal well enough so he rolled into the rear of my car.

You're probably insured, so they might be able to take care of everything for you, but my car was repaired at Eastern Creek Smash Repairs, if you want to give them a call on 96721927 they might be able to help you out, or L&M Smash 96248290 in Seven Hills.

So you mentioned a front skirt? Is yours an Eibach model as well? Hope it gets fixed up soon

Dan
Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #65
cpapashley

Default Mazda MPV - I got a Duratec too

I noticed this forum when surfing around looking to see if we had any performance versions of the cougar/probe bought over to Australia with the SVT components (You know those performance bits that are in america for one of the most popular vehicles around)

I have a Mazda MPV 2000 model that over the next few years I intend to make some "slight improvements" to performance of its delightful 2.5 v6 duratec engine. Amazing that I have this same engine (few slight changes but not much) as yourselves.

When I read about you guys being orphans I thought of myself as I am the only regular australian on the MPV club forum (mainly american/canadian). I think I must be the only one in Australia interested in Modding the MPV as there is "ZERO" available off the shelf so I certainly know the frustration that you all experience.

First cab off the rank was a DIY cold air intake that has certainly allowed the vehicle to breath better. Second is is a set of headers. I am having them custom built by CES an exhaust place over near loganholme in Brisbane. Should be fitted this coming week so will be interesting to see if there is any performance improvement :

I know that Trevor (the guy at CES) said he had done a set of headers for a ford probe a couple of years ago, interesting to know anybody on here saw any significant improvement in their probes/cougars with exhaust changes. Anybody done any dyno tests?? I decided to do a baseline for the PV and it was very similar to a graph I found on D&T exhaust systems. Interesting indeed. :

So Just wanted to stop buy and encourage you all, personally I think a "Ford Duratec Club would be a great idea"

Happy motoring

cpapashley
cpapashley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #66
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey cpapashley,

do you have any pics of the cold air intake? I've been looking at getting one, but tremendous prices for a custom made one from the states (not the item but the postage) means I'd probably have to look locally. I knew the Duratec 2.5 was used in the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, but had no idea about the MPV.

Abraxas
Old 24-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #67
cpapashley

Default Mpv Cai

Hi Abraxas,

There are a couple of options for this, my little custom job so far has cost only $20 I will probably put a k&N filter in the air box to help the air flow a little more.

Some piccies below, it was really handy having a large hole into the wheel well from where the baffle box sat for the atrocious OEM HAI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baffle box hole Medium Web view.jpg (62.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg End of CAI.jpg (78.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 25-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #68
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Hate hearing about bad news & yeah it's way wrong being backed into & the person just shoots through. Probably someone with a big ar$e tow-ball that couldn't give a hoot. I'm a tad concerned about my Probe at the minute. It's just started to smell that bit oily when you park & get out of the car. I've had it once before & the mechanic replaced the bottom end gasket. It wasn't enough of a leak to actually drip on the ground but enough to (I guess) get on parts which when warmed up would give off some fumes. Hoping it's not the same thing as that was $1,000 :( I do very few k's as well so would hurt having another big bill in relative small distance. Maybe just a hose has gone/cracked (wishful thinking). On top of needing another car, a motorbike and a boat engine ALL serviced my toys are financially killing me. Worth it to keep the Probe though
I've seen on E-bay you can get (for $600) a turbo setup kit that appears to include (what I assume are) upgraded headers and gaskets to cope with increased pressures. Wonder if it would be worth going down that path - even though I wouldn't install a turbo - just to get better gaskets and shiny headers??? Thoughts??
Cheers to all.
Old 25-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #69
cpapashley

Default Gotheprobe oil leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotheProbe
I'm a tad concerned about my Probe at the minute. It's just started to smell that bit oily when you park & get out of the car. I've had it once before & the mechanic replaced the bottom end gasket. It wasn't enough of a leak to actually drip on the ground but enough to (I guess) get on parts which when warmed up would give off some fumes. Hoping it's not the same thing as that was $1,000 :( I do very few k's as well so would hurt having another big bill in relative small distance. Maybe just a hose has gone/cracked (wishful thinking). On top of needing another car, a motorbike and a boat engine ALL serviced my toys are financially killing me. Worth it to keep the Probe though
I've seen on E-bay you can get (for $600) a turbo setup kit that appears to include (what I assume are) upgraded headers and gaskets to cope with increased pressures. Wonder if it would be worth going down that path - even though I wouldn't install a turbo - just to get better gaskets and shiny headers??? Thoughts??
Cheers to all.
Hey GoTheProbe,

Is there any noticeable leaks?? I remember reading on the NECO cougar site about some probs with the bottom end leaks, also slow leaks from around the oil filter and also another common place to look is the pulley behind the engine mount. Below is a quote from the site on a common problem if the oil filter is not tightened enough.

Quote:
had experienced the same problem. I noticed that if the oil filter is not tightened enough it creeps loose and oil begins to leak on the front exaust manifold causing the burning smell to be picked up by the air inlet into the cabin. I had notice also that my oil was disappearing between oil changes. 1 to 2 litres (i guess quarts for you) down and since I started doing my own oil changes, my problem went away. Ask the service person to tighten the filter an extra 1/2 to full turn.
Thought Aussie Cougars were built in Germany though. I am pretty sure there was an upgraded kit for the bottom end with better baffles/gaskets, what did the mechanic put there?? If it was just the standard one could be same probs.

If you can identify where the leak is and post a picture might be easier to identify. In my cruising on the NA sites I will see what I can find out.

Last edited by cpapashley; 25-09-2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Update from NECO
Old 25-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #70
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Default Jeez you guys are good

Cpapashley - it's dudes like you that make forums so good. Thanks heaps for your reply & thoughts. I'll see what more I can get on the root cause of the leak. Not knowing my way around all the nuts & bolts I find a large part of the trouble being the engine bay is so full...makes it difficult to see where (letalone take pictures) problems could be emanating from. Think I need one of those spy cameras that can get into tight spots. Here's a laugh and another example....unless I've just got a blockage in the water hose somewhere I'm not getting a water stream through the front windshield cleaners. Do you think from the top of the engine you can even see the small water pump??? I guess it's on the bottom of the water bottle but even that's obscured by engine bits & barriers. arrggg. I'll have to consult the Hayes manual to hunt that little sucker down. Maybe it's the sort of car that's far easier working on it from underneath?
Well thanks again & I'll see what meaningful pictures I can get. I'm quite sure the mechanic would have put standard parts as replacements last time...although I don't go through a Ford dealership for my services.
Old 26-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #71
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotheProbe
Cpapashley - it's dudes like you that make forums so good. Thanks heaps for your reply & thoughts. I'll see what more I can get on the root cause of the leak. Not knowing my way around all the nuts & bolts I find a large part of the trouble being the engine bay is so full...makes it difficult to see where (letalone take pictures) problems could be emanating from. Think I need one of those spy cameras that can get into tight spots. Here's a laugh and another example....unless I've just got a blockage in the water hose somewhere I'm not getting a water stream through the front windshield cleaners. Do you think from the top of the engine you can even see the small water pump??? I guess it's on the bottom of the water bottle but even that's obscured by engine bits & barriers. arrggg. I'll have to consult the Hayes manual to hunt that little sucker down. Maybe it's the sort of car that's far easier working on it from underneath?
Well thanks again & I'll see what meaningful pictures I can get. I'm quite sure the mechanic would have put standard parts as replacements last time...although I don't go through a Ford dealership for my services.
Man I have to agree with you that the only way to see what is happening in these engines is from underneath. Thankfully the MPV has bucketloads of clearance so it is easy to drive one wheel onto the footpath leave the other on the road and hey presto easy to see underneath. The reason they have so much clearance is because they were designed as a 4wd/crossover in Japan (bit like the subaru outback only with 7 seats) great car for a family of six like mine.

I would strongly suggest a pair of ramps for your car. Will make it that much easier and they are just so cheap to get (supercheap are good)

Just had another thought with the oily smell, there are so many tubes/vacuum hoses/egr just check to see they are all on where they should be.

Just on the issue of performance, the best place to spend money is on the exhaust system first (I know d&t performance have a full system for the probe) and your intake is another place to look at with an SVT intake manifold. Should give you 30hp all up which would make a huge difference to the cars performance. Mind you you may already have all of this done.

Anyway, hope you find something, those cabin smells really make the driving pleasure diminish..... :(
Old 29-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #72
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Probe & the Cougar do NOT share the same engine. The Probe engine is a Mazda KL03 not a Duratech.
GotheProbe check for oil in the spark plug wells, yes they can be a bastard to get at but you should be able to eliminate the oil smell from the top end before you get it up on stands.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #73
GotheProbe
Warrp Warrrp

Default Wheels

Thanks again guys for the tips....I'll check them out.
Got another question...If you wanted to go up in rim size does anyone know for Vic whether it's 1 or 2 inches you can go before having to either making further mods to your car and/or needing a eng'ies signoff (or whatever is applicable)? I think it's 2 inches but aren't sure. Does tyre profile size also then come into the equation are well? So if you went from 15" standard to 17" with low profile tyres -do you have to meet any other regulations? Basically I'd like to get larger wheels but not have to forfill any other legal/road-worthy restrictions. Also don't want the problem of the speedo being out because of a tyre size change.
Does the Probe stud pattern also suit some other standard car? e.g. Can you buy Falcon rims/tyres and they'll fit right in there?
Cheers all :
Old 29-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #74
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

I do believe the Probe has a "common" stud pattern, I think it's 5x114 from memory?

Much better than the Euro Cougar's 4x108!

Dan
Old 29-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #75
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
The Probe & the Cougar do NOT share the same engine. The Probe engine is a Mazda KL03 not a Duratech.
GotheProbe check for oil in the spark plug wells, yes they can be a bastard to get at but you should be able to eliminate the oil smell from the top end before you get it up on stands.

Sorry must be thinking of North America. :
Old 30-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #76
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
I do believe the Probe has a "common" stud pattern, I think it's 5x114 from memory?

Much better than the Euro Cougar's 4x108!

Dan

Yep, think it is 5x114.3, also your offset is important when buying the tyre.

Great site I go to check to make sure certain tyre sizes will not cause problems with speedo etc (rolling radius is the same/similar) is

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

hth
Old 30-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #77
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapashley
Sorry must be thinking of North America. :
It's the same there too; US Probes use KL03 V6 (Aussie Probes were US built), some people have drop Mazda KLZE in but this is not original equipment.
I'm sure there is a Probe owner on these boards who has FTE wheel on his Probe, based in Brissy & also a FPV Club member.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #78
cpapashley

Quote:
It's the same there too; US Probes use KL03 V6 (Aussie Probes were US built), some people have drop Mazda KLZE in but this is not original equipment.
I'm sure there is a Probe owner on these boards who has FTE wheel on his Probe, based in Brissy & also a FPV Club member.
Funny thing this, I had in my mind that ford was sharing the engine of the mercury cougar, of course it is the Ford Contour that has the same motor as the mercury cougar which is sold over here as the ford cougar. So again apologies my confusion..
Old 09-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #79
cpapashley

Default Silver Cougar Sited

Sited a silver cougar down at a local cleveland smash repair shop, looked like the front end was having some work done to it, anybody know who it may be??

Thought I might share the great work done by CES on the equal length extractors for the PV. They do very good work over there at meadowbank, near the logan hospital if any one in queensland is looking for a performance upgrade for there vehicles. Also found out that the PV runs the same ecu as the cougars (the eecV). Has anybody had some ECU work done by any companies in australia??
Old 13-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #80
majapi69
Captain, My Captain

Hello guys,

Back from a week of cruising around parts of NSW and it was a great trip. The Friday of the long weekend got a nice early start headed up the Putty/Singleton Road via Singleton to end up at Muswellbrook just after lunch and settled in for the afternoon/evening.

Next day saw the girlfriend and I taking a leisurely drive through the Hunter Valley, stopping off to let her sample some of the local wineries’ wares before moving on to show her some of my childhood stomping grounds before making our way to Tamworth for Saturday.

Sunday saw us checking out the sights and sounds of Tamworth before heading over to Armidale to see how much it has changed in 18 years since I did Uni there.

Monday was a fun trip over to Coffs Harbour with a really nice windy stretch coming back over the mountains from Guyra to Coffs. The Cougar ate it up, cornering like a dream on some pretty tight bends, hugging the road and of course, just powering up the hills, passing more than a few SS Commodores and XR8 Falcons who would then pull out and try to keep up but they just couldn’t accelerate up the slopes the same way. Guys, if you ever get the change to do that run I highly recommend it, a really outstanding, fun drive.

After that it was all pretty tame, 5 days four nights in Coffs, sunning and funning, then a simple run back down the Pacific Highway back to Sydney. A good run but nothing spectacular.

Then, unfortunately back to the daily grind.

But what a great first real run with the Cougar, more and more, I am loving my cat.
Old 13-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #81
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Sounds like fun majapi, though Coffs is a long way to go for a good drive lol I think we should try and organise a Sydney-sider's Cougar meet some time. Maybe go for a dash through the National Park or something? Or Putty Rd, meh I dunno... will take a long time to organise and get the 4 main Sydney guys I know on this forum to meet up.

Have you had your car fixed up?

Dan
Old 14-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #82
cpapashley

Default A great ride....

Sounds like a great break.

That old putty road is fun, I think I have travelled on the road from Armidale through to coffs (my DW is nodding) so that is a yes. fun road indeed, so is your cougar modded at all?

Agree with you that it is hard to get back into the daily grind, best thing is to day dream about that glorious road, and your cat on the prowl through that windy road :hihi:
Old 15-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #83
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would really be great, if you don't mind a Probe tagging along!
Old 15-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #84
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey DRU842, sorry, I should have rephrased my post - of course it'd be great to have both Probe's and Cougar's come along

Just need a location, preferred date and away we go

Dan
Old 15-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #85
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
Hey DRU842, sorry, I should have rephrased my post - of course it'd be great to have both Probe's and Cougar's come along

Just need a location, preferred date and away we go

Dan
Have a great cruise guys, weather is great up here in Sunny Queensland today !!!
Old 15-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #86
cpapashley

Just an unrelated question, does anybody know of a transmission shop in brisbane area that has some experience with the cd4e auto transmissions??
Old 23-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #87
majapi69
Captain, My Captain

Hey Guys,

Girlfriend and I had some time on Sunday afternoon, so took a bit of a cruise around and took some shots of the Cougar, admittedly she needs a wash but hopefully that can be done this weekend. That's the Cougar, not the girlfriend who needs a wash, before any smart arsed comments are fired off and drop me in deep doo doo.

The casual gent leaning against the driver's door is my good self. Please be kind, good folk.

On a side note, just a little challenge for those who know Sydney, can you name the locations of the photos. No prize, just bragging rights. Obviously the more detail in the answer, the big the bragging rights. Suburb and street a minimum.

Let's see how you do fellas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Display 001A.JPG (63.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Display 002A.JPG (76.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Display 003A.JPG (74.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Display 004A.JPG (90.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Display 005A.JPG (80.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Display 006A.JPG (44.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Display 007A.JPG (47.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 28-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #88
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Andrew that would be me or more like the boss
The TE50 Azzuro wheels are now off the car as I sold them a few months ago and the stock 5 spokes are back on
The Falcon wheels will fit the Probe but the Probe wheels will not fit the Falcon as the hub is smaller on the Probe by a bees pecker
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #89
thearrow

Angry Battery Problems !!

This one for the Cougar owners.

Last night I came out of the office and my cat woudn't start, this is after driving it that afternoon.

Eventually I work out that I have a flat battery so I call the NRMA and the guy advises me that the battery is stuffed and guess what I need a new one :1syellow1 :1syellow1 : . So $190.00 dollars later I finally get on my way.

Nothing unusual about that you say, but what is interesting is the following.

The battery was the original so was over six years old (my build date is Feb 2000). :voldar02:

For last two weeks every time I have started the car the central locking system gave an audible "click" but the car still started fine.

Yesterday when I tried to start it the central locking system went haywire and was continually trying to lock the doors for about five minutes before stopping. :1syellow1 :1syellow1 :

So one of the key indicators for future battery trouble is if you hear an audible click from your central locking then get your battery checked.

I discussed with the NRMA guy and he said it is a common indicator that "something" is going on with the battery.

Just though i did give you boys a tip. CYA !!!
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #90
beaphy
Starter Motor

heya guys, found you...

Just got my cougs lowered today on the pedders, looks far beter, the drive seems to be (and I hate to say it) exactly the same, maybe a little tighter which is great as theres no or very little need to adjust to the change.... typically i wouldn't endorse pedders but in this case, and for us poorer orphns it is well worth it rather than importing...

anyway , good to finally have time to find you all... sory to hear bout you battery stuff, my tx3 and 73 xa coupe all had battery\alternator problems (solved ofcourse), painfully annoying I understand

cheers
beaphy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post