Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Ridin-High

Default Hows everyones Cougars going?

Sup ppl,

Like this part of the forum :P

Just wondering much going on in the world of barry dawsons? (Cougars)

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

lol, thanks for dropping past our little world!! lol. My car's going well. Fixed my brake light issue (it was staying on, funny that lol). Other than that she's all sweet. We need more mexican Cougars, then we could have a cruise down here!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey Ridin-High, Barry's doing well...
The car spent a fair bit of time in Sinclair Ford's care due to my second door actuator failing which in turn stuffed the locking system, but that has since been rectified, and hopefully an issue I won't have to revisit for a while... though thank God for extended warranty!

Aside from that nothing much... PB on fuel consumption at 11.0/100. At the moment for me its a matter of keeping her clean and running. Pink slip, insurance etc is all going to be due soon :(

Dan
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
CHIXINGA
Starter Motor

Hey
First post from me (I think - I am a little vague ) . Have had my 2001 SX Cougar since new, and replaced all my tyres when the front ones wore out. I only have 68000 on the clock. Front stock tyres wore pretty quick I reckon, we repaced them all with a different type, but I still have the two tyres that were originally on the rear:
Michelin 215/50 R16 , they were only on for 25000 km. We have estimated they still have 75% wear remaining - anyone need them and wanna make a reasonable offer?

I am from Western Sydney , French blue Cougar, leather int.etc etc.
I love my car !
Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hi Chixinga, we might be in the same area? Welcome to the forums and would love to see some photos of your car some time

Dan
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
cpapashley

me too, I would like to see some photos
Custom Equal Length Headers and secondary pipes
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
and a greddy emanage waiting for install...
E-Manage Forums
A Mazda MPV is really only a cougar
in family friendly clothing............:
cpapashley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

My kitty died this morning :( I think a new battery is in order. the original one has lasted seven years!!! It would turn over but there wasn't enough charge to fire the sparks so it wouldn't get going. *sigh* there goes some more cash....

Old 20-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Correction, it's not the original battery LOL. RACV replacement one already in there. but yeh, the guy's comin out tomoz to check it out and hopefuly fix it.

Old 20-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar-Boy
Correction, it's not the original battery LOL. RACV replacement one already in there. but yeh, the guy's comin out tomoz to check it out and hopefuly fix it.
Get them to check the output from that alternator to make sure everything is charging correctly.
E-Manage Forums
Old 20-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ok, she's up and running again!!! SHE WAS FLOODED!!!! Here's a tip. Don't run Ethanol blend in these cars. An injector will eventually like to stay open and leak fuel. Harry, i know you run your's with it too (and beautiful fuel economy). The manual says 91oct but the bloke said to run premium 95 (pref Shell or BP).

If this happens to you, that is, the car gets flooded, remove the fuel relay (fuse box under the hood next to the battery. R1 black), pedal flat to the floor and crank untill the fuel is burnt up. Whack the relay back in and she should fire up. This is a 2 person job.

Old 21-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
cpapashley

Quote:
Ok, she's up and running again!!! SHE WAS FLOODED!!!! Here's a tip. Don't run Ethanol blend in these cars. An injector will eventually like to stay open and leak fuel. Harry, i know you run your's with it too (and beautiful fuel economy). The manual says 91oct but the bloke said to run premium 95 (pref Shell or BP).

If this happens to you, that is, the car gets flooded, remove the fuel relay (fuse box under the hood next to the battery. R1 black), pedal flat to the floor and crank untill the fuel is burnt up. Whack the relay back in and she should fire up. This is a 2 person job.
Good heads up on this one, I have had my suspicions when using any 91, the car pings and carries on something chronic, with 95 no worries.
E-Manage Forums
Old 24-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Update: the kitty looks to be fine now. Seems like a bad batch of fuel :jab: Runnin normal 95 in there now and she's running smoother than a baby's ***!

Old 25-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
cpapashley

Quote:
Update: the kitty looks to be fine now. Seems like a bad batch of fuel :jab: Runnin normal 95 in there now and she's running smoother than a baby's ***!
That is super to hear.

Great stuff.
E-Manage Forums
Old 13-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Guess what fellas?? My car is getting a new hub and bearing kit for the left side. The other one was rooted!!

Old 14-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
cpapashley

Quote:
Guess what fellas?? My car is getting a new hub and bearing kit for the left side. The other one was rooted!!
If you get a chance keep the old bits, find out from them what has happened (water getting in, bad batch, below standard product...) and take some pictures, may be something to watch out for when others are purchasing a vehicle.
E-Manage Forums
Old 15-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Sorry, couldn't grab them. But, i did have a look at them. Basically, watch out for pitting in the hub where the bearing sits. Also, i didn't get to see the bearing because when they took it off, it fell apart in the guys hands! If you hear a moaning/rubber-like griding or pulsating sound from the wheels, get it looked at as most likely the bearings are on their way. They checked out the other side and it was ok. Picked up the car this morning and the difference is amazing. Another thing to watch out for is when u'r braking to turn into a street (that is, you slow down to below 10kph etc etc), listen for a knocked as you life the brake and turn. That will also indicate a worn bearing as the wheel will be loose. Jack up the side u think it's coming from and try moving the wheel in and out (not turning or rotating). If there is movement, get it checked asap. The quicker u find out, the less chance it will sieze and lock up ur wheel all together.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
Fordfam
Starter Motor

Anyone got any ideas on where to get a new/replacement alternator - mine crapped out this week and Ford are quoting $2500!! Oh and yes we are talking a '99 cougar.. little kitty seems to be running the gamit of issues few yrs ago fuel pump went that was a costly little bugger but this one takes the cake so far. love the car but ford oz are pretty average at spare parts for their imports.. was able to find a spare fuel pump from some wrecker in melbourne & hoping i might be able to do the same for a 2nd hand alty - but can't remember how i found them

totally green at this forum stuff so any ideas/suggestions welcome! & apols if this plea for help is posted in wrong place.

ta
Fordfam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey Fordfam!

Well, you've posted in the right place, I just hope someone might have a suggestion for you! I know the alternator problem is pretty common with our US buddies across the pond, but yeah... $2500 is a bit rich... as is maintaining our cars... Ford have no idea with ours unfortunately. In no time, you'll know more than them when it comes to Cougars

Do tell us some more about your car and post up some pics if you have any Always exciting to find another new Cougar owner!

Dan
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
Fordfam
Starter Motor

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply, will grab some pics shortly and post - but she's a plain Jane all I've done is add a CD stacker and keep her nice 'n clean. Almost grabbed an Eibach but opted for the softer ride & the lesser $$ - sometimes I wish I hadn't - not that the rides bad but the Eibach just has that something extra when it comes to looks.

Anyhow, I'll be back -- heaps of helpful hints in here & of course will share my alternator experience with all once its sorted
Fordfam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #20
pcperfection
Cougar

Hi fordfam, this is where Ebay becomes your best friend, $US269 + $US98 shipping beats the hell out of 2.5k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCU...spagenameZWD2V

Cheers
Mark (Cougar)
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #21
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfam
Anyone got any ideas on where to get a new/replacement alternator - mine crapped out this week and Ford are quoting $2500!! Oh and yes we are talking a '99 cougar.. little kitty seems to be running the gamit of issues few yrs ago fuel pump went that was a costly little bugger but this one takes the cake so far. love the car but ford oz are pretty average at spare parts for their imports.. was able to find a spare fuel pump from some wrecker in melbourne & hoping i might be able to do the same for a 2nd hand alty - but can't remember how i found them

totally green at this forum stuff so any ideas/suggestions welcome! & apols if this plea for help is posted in wrong place.

ta
I know there is often small differences in peripheral parts, but always worth a check to see whether the corresponding part on the 00/01 Mazda MPV will fit. I also think their calculation for labour costs is a bit off. I would get some information on what the procedure is for replacing the alternator, and challenge their quote.

Also get a second opinion from a Mazda dealer, as well as an independent.
E-Manage Forums
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
cpapashley

You know Fordfam,

I was asking a few questions on the forums I am on, the change out of the alternator should be about 4 hours work, so whatever that ford delaer is telling you is a load of complete rubbish, talk again to them and ask them why they are charging so much.

Also this alternator should be the same or very similar as is in the ford escape/mazda tribute. I think they are having a complete lend of you....
E-Manage Forums
Old 26-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #23
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Hey guys, anyone know where the cabin air filter is located on the cougar, it's a 2000 model

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #24
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ok, to change the air filter, you gotta take off the plastic covers where the wipers are (the black things). there are 2 pieces, i'm not sure whethers it's the passenger side or drivers side. Once that's off u'll see the filter. It's a long panel filter. There maybe screws holding it in so deal with those. Once replaced, just follow the instructions in reverse to install ;)

Old 16-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Hey guys, this is for all those cougar owners having trouble getting K&N pannel filters. i went into autobarn and asked for one, the guy had no idea and ended up trying the US catalogue and found one, but it was too hard too get here. he then tried BMC and there it was part number and all, cost me $179 and i gotta wait 3 weeks for it too get here.

Old 16-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #26
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE666
Hey guys, this is for all those cougar owners having trouble getting K&N pannel filters. i went into autobarn and asked for one, the guy had no idea and ended up trying the US catalogue and found one, but it was too hard too get here. he then tried BMC and there it was part number and all, cost me $179 and i gotta wait 3 weeks for it too get here.
Did I mention I had one for sale second hand? Probably not :togo:

I had the same from Autobarn, ridiculous waiting time. I eventually bought one from www.ybfilters.co.uk and it cost $100AUD (delivered) and arrived in about a week.

If anyone's interested in a second hand panel filter for the 2.5 V6 Duratec, let me know...

Also, on a side note - interesting username choice there - my car (according to it's log book) was once registered FTE-666...???

Dan
Old 17-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
cpapashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
Did I mention I had one for sale second hand? Probably not :togo:

I had the same from Autobarn, ridiculous waiting time. I eventually bought one from www.ybfilters.co.uk and it cost $100AUD (delivered) and arrived in about a week.

If anyone's interested in a second hand panel filter for the 2.5 V6 Duratec, let me know...

Also, on a side note - interesting username choice there - my car (according to it's log book) was once registered FTE-666...???

Dan
Must check if there is any difference between mine and the cougars, but got mine through my local mechanic who just imported through K&N. All up cost $109.
E-Manage Forums
Old 17-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #28
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hmm, dunno man. I know ur filter box is vertical but the filter should be the same.

Old 18-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #29
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

[QUOTE=

Dan[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, as i was considering it for a personalised plate, cost $295 as opposed to 'Eibach' with would cost $900!

Old 18-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #30
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Thought i may aswell post up some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0076_JPG.jpg (71.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0107_JPG.jpg (57.1 KB, 190 views)