Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
omg

Default New Focus owner, saying hello

Since I picked up a Zetec a couple of weeks back and have been lurking a bit I thought I should say hello (and a special hello to lincoln, you sexy beast)

The focus is a bit of a departure from the cars I'm used to driving and I have to say I've been very impressed by it so far. Not sure what else to add except for some random thoughts

The suspension really is quite superb, they've got the toddle around the suburbs in comfort while not turning to mush on an interesting road compromise nailed brilliantly well.

The engine has impressed me more than I thought it would. Ok, it's not exactly a fire breathing monster but it has a good midrange and revs very cleanly through the whole revrange. Between this and the suspension it's surprised me how much more enjoyable the focus is to drive than the SP23 as it just felt dull to me (and the hatch needs an anchor to complete the design effect).

The indicator stalk is on the wrong side It's not a big deal but seriously, in terms of ergonomics it should be on the opposite side to the gearlever.

The electronic (I assume, I haven't actually looked) throttle has taken some getting used to. There's a dead spot as you just get on the accelerator that I'm finding myself getting caught in. Not sure if this is just a case of coming from a more powerful car and getting used to using more throttle but there does seem to be a definate step there. That said, after getting some premium in the tank (I'll assume the dealer put standard unleaded in) it does feel better.

Sik imp line level output from the ipod into the glovebox line in is brilliant

It's the first car I've ever owned with cruise control, I'm rather enjoying the experience of being able to look at the road rather than the speedo on the freeway (though it would be nice if it displayed something when it was "on")

With the seats folded down I was able to fit 6 wheels (with tyres), decent size tool chest, spares and proper jack while still having room for more gear and two people in the front. Just awesome.

All up I'm really very impressed with the car. What has surprised me is how much more enjoyable it was to drive than the Mazda3's, particularly considering the weight. I was lucky to get mine with only a 4 week wait (I was expecting longer) but given the quality of the car and the price it's come in at I'm surprised that Ford was surprised with the rush in demand. They need to have a little more faith in their product as it really does deserve it.

omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
BlackLS

Congrats on the Focus! A lot of times when someone posts here about their new car they only have negative to say, but sounds like your as happy as a pig in poo! Can't wait to get mine!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sounds good! They do look great (zetec especially!)... I think more are starting to filter through to dealers though, with two local dealers now having Zetecs on show... Damn they really are nice!

So what car did you own previously?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
omg

I could throw in a few niggles if you want Argon but in the end they pale in insignificance compared to what Ford got so right with the car that it doesn't seem fair to bring them up just yet

teki - a few 200sx's
Old 14-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
I could throw in a few niggles if you want Argon but in the end they pale in insignificance compared to what Ford got so right with the car that it doesn't seem fair to bring them up just yet

teki - a few 200sx's

How does the Focus handle compered to the Silvias
Old 14-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
How does the Focus handle compered to the Silvias
Id say more prodictable and you can just throw it at corners.... but im sure He misses the power haha

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
omg

Argon - They're so different that you can't really compare them to be honest. The focus has a better compromise and the last of the 200sx's (S15) is a better through the twisties. Apart from the obvious softer sprung (but smarter damped) focus the thing which sticks out the most is that the silvias are a lot sharper in the front and being rwd you can steer them properly with the right foot. Completely different cars though, any comparison wouldn't do either justice

Teki - Sort of, especially when I want to scoot around grandma driving up a hill but mostly I don't miss it to be honest. That said I have free "access" to quite a number of silvias in various states of tune so when I can always satisfy that urge to take something quick for a spin
Old 14-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
BlackLS

Any pics? (of your current or previous cars)
Old 14-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
omg

One of my old S14's

Most of my time these days is spent building/preparing this one now for a mate

Old 14-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
BlackLS

: Niiice

i know what you mean now about how they're so different handeling-wise
Old 15-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

A silvia and a Focus? Lol different doesn't begin to describe it!!! Glad to hear you're happy with your Focus, I sold Lincoln his ST170 and he loves it to death, they're such a gorgeous car, so awesome to tee the new Focus is such a brilliant step forward and such a continually great drive, as Lincoln says Euro Fords are definitely the new French hatches in terms of handling/ride. Welcome!