Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
AU Mont
Banned

Default Squeaky Brakes, fixed with Wheel Alignment

Wife's car, 08' Liberty...... front brakes squealed like all buggery since we bought it. Brake dust painted the wheels straight away after cleaning.

Had the rotors machined, left the pads...... still squealed

Had a wheel alignment done by bridgestone to fix a pulling issue, nothing changed.

Last week found inside of tyres were down to canvas from poor alignment, so new tyres were fitted, and in it went to Holden (recommend by tyre place) for another wheel alignment. Apparently it had minor toe out, so they changed it to toe in (not sure on exact specs).

Car doesnt pull anymore, but magically the brakes do not squeal AT ALL since. Wheels, no more brake dust.

We are damn happy but how did the wheel alignment stop the brakes squealing? I remember my previous AU had noisy brakes, even after having the pads & rotors replaced with new....... maybe i should of taken it in for a decent wheel alignment lol

Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Squeaky Brakes, fixed with Wheel Alignment

There always a small amount of movement on the bearings, wheel alighnment being out means the tyres/wheels will flex on axel to try and stay straight and will misalighn the disc to the pads/caliper. This can also happen if bearings need to be nipped up. If left long enough the pads will wear out of square and all sort of noise and brake issue happen.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
There always a small amount of movement on the bearings, wheel alighnment being out means the tyres/wheels will flex on axel to try and stay straight and will misalighn the disc to the pads/caliper. This can also happen if bearings need to be nipped up. If left long enough the pads will wear out of square and all sort of noise and brake issue happen.

The disc/caliper/ bearing assembley remain fixed into position. By adjusting the tierod end, you're moving the whole rotor/caliper/bearing assembley as a unit, not moving the rotor/ caliper/bearing seperately to dislodge brake dust.

To answer the Op's query. I have no idea. Been doing alignments for years and never heard this before. I can only assume, they removed the wheel and blew the brake dust away to prevent the squeel you're reporting.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The disc/caliper/ bearing assembley remain fixed into position. By adjusting the tierod end, you're moving the whole rotor/caliper/bearing assembley as a unit, not moving the rotor/ caliper/bearing seperately to dislodge brake dust.

To answer the Op's query. I have no idea. Been doing alignments for years and never heard this before. I can only assume, they removed the wheel and blew the brake dust away to prevent the squeel you're reporting.
54ghia is right.. toe in or toe out will have an effect on where that disc will run in regards to the bearing free play.......
Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
54ghia is right.. toe in or toe out will have an effect on where that disc will run in regards to the bearing free play.......

Nope.....You're moving the stub axle assembley, not the disc and bearing as seperate items.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the toe in or out is wrong, say to much toe in, the bearing slack will be pulled all over one side as the wheels try to pull themselves straight. Normally the disks / wheels free wheel on the slack, however now they are skewed sideways. This can cause the discs to permanently rub the edges of the pads and cause noise, heat and other nasties.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
AU Mont
Banned

makes sense.

there you go, sometimes the pads arent to blame.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
When the toe in or out is wrong, say to much toe in, the bearing slack will be pulled all over one side as the wheels try to pull themselves straight. Normally the disks / wheels free wheel on the slack, however now they are skewed sideways. This can cause the discs to permanently rub the edges of the pads and cause noise, heat and other nasties.

The bearing is "fixed" on the stub axle. Seeing as you're moving the stub axle as part of the adjustment, I fail to see how it could be skewing the bearing.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The bearing is "fixed" on the stub axle. Seeing as you're moving the stub axle as part of the adjustment, I fail to see how it could be skewing the bearing.
slight skewing if you like... just taking up the clearance / freeplay in the bearing..
Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see we are probably at crossed purposes. I guess in general all bearings have some movement or slack between the inner and outer. The inner is attached to the stub and the wheel is attached to the outer. Depending on wear, adjustment and other stuff if you grab the wheel there will be some movement, even if you can't feel it. With the alighnment out of adjustment this "slack" will be pulled to one side. This slack can be enough to cause the disc to rotate crooked, could only be talking thou's. This can be enough to cause a squeak.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i think he`s meaning the small amount of looseness/play if any in the wheel bearing/s maybe taken up/altered to a different direction by the either toe in or toe out adjustment, toe in the tyre/wheels being pulled inwards at the front by the road forces acting upon them, toe out the reverse happening.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
I see we are probably at crossed purposes. I guess in general all bearings have some movement or slack between the inner and outer. The inner is attached to the stub and the wheel is attached to the outer. Depending on wear, adjustment and other stuff if you grab the wheel there will be some movement, even if you can't feel it. With the alighnment out of adjustment this "slack" will be pulled to one side. This slack can be enough to cause the disc to rotate crooked, could only be talking thou's. This can be enough to cause a squeak.

Aligning the car still isn't going to stop the movement, so it won't stop the squeak.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Aligning the car still isn't going to stop the movement, so it won't stop the squeak.

Last edited by pottery beige; 07-03-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't think of any other way to explain it. But the rod might.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

So if changing the alignment stops the squeek, why wouldn't everyone suffer from squeeks everytime they brake round a corner? You're still taking up the slack in the bearing doing that.

My suspicions are as follows.

The Subaru front end has 2 nuts and bolts that hold the strut top the stub axle. Seeing the OP had a pulling issue, I suspect the place that did the alignment loosened these bolts off and got a bit of movement from this area, which changed the camber, therefore stopped the pull the car had. (Do a bit of research on that one)

To do this, 9 times out of 10, places remove the wheel. Removing the wheel, allows the brake dust to drop on the deck. Then you combine that they probably used a rattle gun to loosen the bolts, this also causes brake dust to be dislodged. Remove brake dust, get rid of brake squeel. (Do some research over that too)

Seeing as the OP has had the pull fixed and no more squeeling, it makes sence this is what has occurred, rather than focusing on one thing.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your right, quiet often cars with badly worn or loose bearings (and good alighnment) do make squeaking sounds on cornering.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:

To do this, 9 times out of 10, places remove the wheel. Removing the wheel, allows the brake dust to drop on the deck. Then you combine that they probably used a rattle gun to loosen the bolts, this also causes brake dust to be dislodged. Remove brake dust, get rid of brake squeel. (Do some research over that too)

Seeing as the OP has had the pull fixed and no more squeeling, it makes sence this is what has occurred, rather than focusing on one thing.
the front tyres were replaced a week (therefore wheel removed) before the wheel alignment and the brakes still squealed though

so are you talking about dust on the rotors causing the noise?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Your right, quiet often cars with badly worn or loose bearings (and good alighnment) do make squeaking sounds on cornering.
I get squeaking for about 1 minute of driving when i first jump in my vehicle.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

So the question begs. Does the alignment fix the problem???? That's what is being claimed by you and others.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
AU Mont
Banned

all i can say is the rotors came off to be machined, the front wheels cames off for new tyres........... but only when it went for the wheel alignment the horrid squeal from the brakes stopped, completely

read into that how you will?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the question begs. Does the alignment fix the problem???? That's what is being claimed by you and others.
bro.. go blow the dust out from between your ears....
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes and no. It can stop the squeak and the uneven wearing of the pads, but if the bearings are also shot or need nipping up this still needs to be adressed. Oh and also get rid of the dust.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #23
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Think it was answered ........ maybe. Haven't decided yet ...... but there is enough up there to keep the mind ticking for a while! Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that ......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread