Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
redimon
Starter Motor

Question Steering wheel audio controls SWI-PS

G'day all.

I bought a new head unit (Parrot RK8200) only to find that the bloody thing wouldn't fit. I replaced it with a Pioneer DEH3100UB (because it was cheap from JB HIFI!), I added a TomTom car kit for the iPhone and the whole setup works a treat in my trusty 99 Forte,

The only problem I have now is that I no longer have steering control over the audio. I bought a PAC SWI-PS control unit from BDL car stereo in Fyshwick who offered to fit it for a $150 or so. Thinking it wasn't too hard for a motor mechanic (me!) I decided to do it myself. They gave me some intructions but upon trying to fit it I find that the instructions are either wrong or my car is!

The instructions I have are as follows:
"Ford AU series 1 only.
PS interface white wire to brown on car. Black/white on car to ground.
Interface Ver 8"

There are no Brown wires either in the steering controls (above) or on the loom on the steering column. Nor can I find a Black/white wire.

I've moved on from the ACT so going back to BDL is no longer an option. The car is a Jun 99 Forte so is a Series 1 update (front power windows). I assume the info is wrong because of that little detail.

I want to do this now because I'm travelling from Launceston to Newcastle in 2 weeks and don't want to have to reach over to adjust volume or change inputs. Once I'm in Newcastle I'll be back in a workshop with auto electricians who'll be able to help but thats a little late.

Has anyone else out there in fordforums-land ever done this? Any ideas?

Old 26-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I haven't installed one but there are a couple of pics in this thread

http://222.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11295688
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. check the unused wires at rear of the stereo on the car side of the loom. Series 1 has a red wire with white trace and series 2 has a red wire with a black trace. what you really needed to get was an austrailian product called a "cat 10 interface" http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm which suits both AU series 1 and series 2&3 as well. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Or just stick in one CD with 100 MP3s on it for the drive to newcastle, and then get it fixed there.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
redimon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I haven't installed one but there are a couple of pics in this thread

http://222.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11295688
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions in that thread with the exception of the version number which turned out to be ver 8 for my Falcon. I now have steering control over my car audio and am very happy!
Old 28-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
fordlover
FORD-LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by redimon
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions in that thread with the exception of the version number which turned out to be ver 8 for my Falcon. I now have steering control over my car audio and am very happy!
my sister's got the same head unit in her skyline, they are very good!