Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Gladys is now changing her tune... so now high vaccination can still mean restrictions and reduced liberties.

When will they realise this is never going to work, and their expectations of near 0 local cases is a foolishly impossible target??

International news outlets are going to town questioning the logic of our leaders and their hard line approach.

The new vaccination aim seems to hover around +1% a day... we may get to 70% by end of Sep or first week October.

The last 10% takes far more time. Say we get to 80% by the end of October. Quite possible.

Then what? I'm hoping that families can look forward to near unrestricted internal travel and to a few OS travel bubbles by Christmas.

I'm hoping that in early 2022 we can implement a traffic light system like other highly vaccinated nations.

Here's to hoping

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 17-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF
The new vaccination aim seems to hover around +1% a day... we may get to 70% by end of Sep or first week October.

The last 10% takes far more time. Say we get to 80% by the end of October. Quite possible.
Trouble is, they’re uttering confusing statements with targets both for first covid doses and fully vaccinated. There’s also the chatter building in NSW governance for the past fortnight, inferring that a 60% milestone for first dose Covid vaccinations is going to get us a biscuit.

My money remains on closer to February before we’re allowed to peep through the curtains again.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chief police commissioner Shane Patton says Victoria Police are patrolling playgrounds making sure there’s no children playing.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Frankly the optics from the engagement party aren't good but they are not that different from any other group that chooses to knowingly flout the rules just perhaps better dressed.

It all stems from a belief that the rules don't apply to them because (insert lame reason here) or they have 'special' circumstances but to actually attempt to make a joke of flaunting the rules in a speech is a whole new level of stupidity.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Frankly the optics from the engagement party aren't good but they are not that different from any other group that chooses to knowingly flout the rules just perhaps better dressed.

It all stems from a belief that the rules don't apply to them because (insert lame reason here) or they have 'special' circumstances but to actually attempt to make a joke of flaunting the rules in a speech is a whole new level of stupidity.
well, it is going to be a costly exercise, what was it? a $5500 fine for each person.

I just heard on the news that the Doctors in attendance are under investigation by their regulating body
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Just heard a bit more on the guest list and it appears a number of them were doctors.....

Edit: posted same time as Trev..

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They’re human, I accept their human traits. We’re not exactly oversupplied with doctors.
Old 17-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
They’re human, I accept their human traits. We’re not exactly oversupplied with doctors.
When it comes to supposedly knowing better, and setting an example, I am no way near as charitable!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
When it comes to supposedly knowing better, and setting an example, I am no way near as charitable!
Doctors + fines = easy money.

Be interesting to see if their governing body would have the nuts to do anything, at a minimum it will be on their record.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Am I the only one who thinks there's an element of 'financial terrorism' being conducted by certain sections of the population.
A case of deliberately ignoring rules aimed at ending lockdowns in a bid to extract as much coin as possible from Govco whilst doing SFA?
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Luckily most are narcasistic millenials who are so stupid they post everything on the likes of facebook.
Law enforcement loves social media, makes life so-o-o-o easy....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #12
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So you endorse Vicpol view that playgrounds must be policed to ensure children are not playing.

It's the law. Although no legislation was passed except for sweeping powers that they gave themselves to impose anything they like at the CHO's discretion.

Have you crunched the numbers on Israel?

Are you not at all concerned that the evidence is mounting that the virus can not be eradicated and vaccines at least mRNA ones are ineffective against spread? Israel followed precisely the recommendations on how to roll out their vaccines.

The USA also used mRNA exclusively too I believe
Old 17-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
So you endorse Vicpol view that playgrounds must be policed to ensure children are not playing.

It's the law. Although no legislation was passed except for sweeping powers that they gave themselves to impose anything they like at the CHO's discretion.

Have you crunched the numbers on Israel?

Are you not at all concerned that the evidence is mounting that the virus can not be eradicated and vaccines at least mRNA ones are ineffective against spread? Israel followed precisely the recommendations on how to roll out their vaccines.

The USA also used mRNA exclusively too I believe

We need a cure, not something that masks the symptoms like these ineffective "vaccines", that still allow you to get it and spread it, but slightly reduce the chances of death. It's just a band-aid solution. As soon as we open up again it's going to spread like wildfire, no matter how many people are vaxxed.

The message is slowly getting out there.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...r-problem.html

“The message that breakthrough cases are exceedingly rare and that you don’t have to worry about them if you’re vaccinated — that this is only an epidemic of the unvaccinated — that message is falling flat,” Harvard epidemiologist Michael Mina told me in the long interview that follows below. “If this was still Alpha, sure. But with Delta, plenty of people are getting sick. Plenty of transmission is going on. And my personal opinion is that the whole notion of herd immunity from two vaccine shots is flying out the window very quickly with this new variant.”

“We’re seeing a lot more spread in vaccinated people,” agreed Scripps’s Eric Topol, who estimated that the vaccines’ efficacy against symptomatic transmission, which he estimated to be 90 percent or above for the wild-type strain and all previous variants, had fallen to about 60 percent for Delta. “That’s a big drop.” Later, he suggested it might have fallen to 50 percent, and that new data about to be published in the U.S. would suggest an even lower rate. On Wednesday, a large pre-print study published by the Mayo clinic suggested the efficacy against infection had fallen as far as 42 percent.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 17-08-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 17-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't let Aussie have all the fun.
Covid 19 coronavirus: Case identified in Auckland community; no link to border or MIQ
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12465559
Old 17-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Can't let Aussie have all the fun.
Covid 19 coronavirus: Case identified in Auckland community; no link to border or MIQ
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12465559
And NZ now in level 4 lockdown for at least 3 days as a result.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
We need a cure, not something that masks the symptoms like these ineffective "vaccines", that still allow you to get it and spread it, but slightly reduce the chances of death. It's just a band-aid solution. As soon as we open up again it's going to spread like wildfire, no matter how many people are vaxxed.

The message is slowly getting out there.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...r-problem.html

“The message that breakthrough cases are exceedingly rare and that you don’t have to worry about them if you’re vaccinated — that this is only an epidemic of the unvaccinated — that message is falling flat,” Harvard epidemiologist Michael Mina told me in the long interview that follows below. “If this was still Alpha, sure. But with Delta, plenty of people are getting sick. Plenty of transmission is going on. And my personal opinion is that the whole notion of herd immunity from two vaccine shots is flying out the window very quickly with this new variant.”

“We’re seeing a lot more spread in vaccinated people,” agreed Scripps’s Eric Topol, who estimated that the vaccines’ efficacy against symptomatic transmission, which he estimated to be 90 percent or above for the wild-type strain and all previous variants, had fallen to about 60 percent for Delta. “That’s a big drop.” Later, he suggested it might have fallen to 50 percent, and that new data about to be published in the U.S. would suggest an even lower rate. On Wednesday, a large pre-print study published by the Mayo clinic suggested the efficacy against infection had fallen as far as 42 percent.
My understanding is that while protection against breakthrough isn't as high it still offers very good protection against hospitalisation.

I'd rather be vaccinated.
Old 17-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #17
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
My understanding is that while protection against breakthrough isn't as high it still offers very good protection against hospitalisation.

I'd rather be vaccinated.
This. I would think if someone could change a clutch or hang a downpipe off a gutter or complete any practical task, then it would be obvious that wearing a mask when required, isolating when required, getting vaccinated when it’s possible and keeping a clear head and thinking logically would be no-brainers.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Well, if it's like my locale, kids in the playground are accompanied by parents, and those parents conveniently arrive at the same time as family friends and their kids. I live opposite a walking track, and the same thing happens there. Two family groups arrive, one big group sets off together. Even some of my FB friends brag about 'coincidental' meet-ups.

The entire point of these restrictions is to disconnect clusters. Cluster = all the people that can be linked via immediate household members, or work colleague close contacts. It's undermined when you start allowing clusters to connect.

Quote:
Are you not at all concerned that the evidence is mounting that the virus can not be eradicated and vaccines at least mRNA ones are ineffective against spread?
We're buying time until we can get enough people vaccinated so that the health system isnt overcome. At some point, we reopen, and deal with the the resultant case growth and hospitalisations.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 16th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

512 new cases for Australia and 11 deaths so the CMR is 2.438%. NSW recorded another new high with 478 cases.

7 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.889%.

The UK had a higher 28,176 cases yesterday and lower 26 deaths for a CMR of 2.080%.

A much higher 188,865 new cases in the USA yesterday (85k of which were carried over from the previous day) and higher 1,023 deaths (some of which were also carried over) sees CMR at 1.697%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 208M, the last 1M in 2 days;
North America passes 45M cases;

French Polynesia (2,211); and
Sri Lanka (3,640)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 17 in ACT. Total 45.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Another 17 in ACT. Total 45.
If you take into account population/population density, thats escalated quickly.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
If you take into account population/population density, thats escalated quickly.
That's what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's taking off. Also nearly 7400 tests yesterday which is a lot.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's taking off. Also nearly 7400 tests yesterday which is a lot.
Stop testing, solved ..ol Trumpy was onto something.

Seriously though using a sample population to see the results would be interesting unless the USA is recent enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #24
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Thats the thing though, you've hit the nail on the head in the way i like to think about the situation. Higher testing rates will obviously detect higher cases. Because if you dont know, well you dont know. So higher cases people jump up and down about, yet the case numbers that werent detected due to not being tested were potentially the same, just not detected. So record testing and record numbers, well its not case numbers in my view, its just greater detection. So this is just my way of looking at numbers, so i dont think its me having a conspiracy theory or anything outlandish. Its deffinately not a problem thats going away any time soon.
Old 17-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The ABC are reporting a confirmed case here in Broken Hill today. They have been infectious in the community in Broken Hill and Wilcannia. So no doubt there will be more to come in the next few days for western NSW.
Old 20-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #26
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The ABC are reporting a confirmed case here in Broken Hill today. They have been infectious in the community in Broken Hill and Wilcannia. So no doubt there will be more to come in the next few days for western NSW.
Well three days later and we have 10 cases in Wilcannia and 2 in Broken Hill.
Old 23-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #27
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Well three days later and we have 10 cases in Wilcannia and 2 in Broken Hill.
Another 3 days later and I believe we are at 23 cases in Wilcannia and 5 in Broken Hill. Tomorrow is going to be a big day with at least 15 to be announced for Wilcannia. If that is correct, that would take the total to over 5% of Wilcannia's population.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow. Just heard the Feds are deploying their own response teams, AUSMAT, into NSW. Is this the first of its kind?

AUSMAT have so far been flawless in its management of hotel quarantine in NT. It might actually be a good idea for them to take over, although I think I heard they are only being deployed into some struggling regional areas.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 17-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to laugh when Barra and Gladys basically said that because of the threat from ACT, they locked down regional NSW.

I know some dickheads headed for the coast and but surely the rest of NSW is the bigger threat itself? Where do you think ACT got it from geniuses?

Barr has kept himself out of the **** fight with other premiers but I liked this from him

Quote:
Operation Stay at Home is an excellent idea. It's a pity it didn't happen seven weeks ago.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #30
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I'd say, so do the under 16's, the under 12's, then under 2's and the 6 month olds.
Closed Thread