Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
BlackLS

Default Soldering-iron + LS Focus = ??

RICE MODS!

Pics were taken with a phone, the colour is a more deeper blue.

So far I have done all the power window switches, the driver power window and mirror module, gauge cluster and interior light. Up next is the light swich and after that the demister button.

Before pic as a comparison:

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

Abit of a light show happening there.
That does look nice.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

How much did that (roughly) cost you? (in materials anyway?)

Looks really good, I'm not bad with the soldering iron, but a little hesitant to rip the dash apart...

Need to take a good pic of my new interior light, it has 6 LED's on it (its from Jaycar, $19.95 from memory) and just slots straight into where the factory interior globe goes...and its DAMN bright!! Just need to do something about lighting in the rear...
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

Looks really good, I'm not bad with the soldering iron, but a little hesitant to rip the dash apart...

Need to take a good pic of my new interior light, it has 6 LED's on it (its from Jaycar, $19.95 from memory) and just slots straight into where the factory interior globe goes...and its DAMN bright!! Just need to do something about lighting in the rear...
Hi Russ,

Pics don't do it justice, the light are really blue blue (think Nokia 8250)

The same interior light is around $3 at Dick Smith (where I got mine)

You'll need a fine tipped temp controlled soldering iron, micro toolset, torx security screwdriver set, multimeter, solder sucker, trim removal tools and its fairly difficult, you need to follow circuits on silicon, test resistors, common grounds etc... Then there are problems with the cluster and removing needles and realigning them when reinstalling, etc.

Materials, all you need is solder and LEDs (at least 50 of them, 3mm, at around $4 each for 4000mcd or $2 each for 1000mcd from Jaycar. I had access to 5000mcd).

I can save you the hassle, you can buy all the switches and I'll do your cluster. Or if you don't want blue (white, purple, orange, red, yellow etc) I can come over on a Saturday and do all the LEDs then. ;)

That goes for anyone else in the Sydney area.
Old 18-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Geez thanks!! I might just have to take you up on that offer.

I think blue would look good in a Titanium grey Focus.

Oh, and can you still adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster??..I assume so...
Old 18-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
BlackLS

Yeah, on dark back roads when there is no moon, I'll turn it down half way, due to glare (my eyes are really sensitive to glare, you'll see my sunvisors down if its a bright but cloudy day.)

When pulled out the cluster I almost cried when I saw the backlighting was soldered onto the board, and not on removable bulb holders like on the Falcons.
Old 18-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
xr8ute
Back on the road

Go the ricemods!! Looks much better than the green...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

theat looks pretty awesome...wouldnt call that ricey at all....

good stuff
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Uni

i might be taking you up on that offer..

payment in case(s) of beer?

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Yeah, on dark back roads when there is no moon, I'll turn it down half way, due to glare (my eyes are really sensitive to glare, you'll see my sunvisors down if its a bright but cloudy day.)

When pulled out the cluster I almost cried when I saw the backlighting was soldered onto the board, and not on removable bulb holders like on the Falcons.
Ouch!! Soldererd compared to the bulb holders would be a pain, but from the looks of things it is definitely worth playing with

I am seriously considering taking you up on the offer, but may not be for a couple months (could be less). I just bought a new camera and have to pay the thing off :
Old 18-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I'm impressed. Now you just gotta change the other lights on the center console. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
BlackLS

Thanks for the comments, the green reminded me of the commodore dash.

Centre consol is going to be a pain, to get access to all that you need to pull the radio.

Then theres the problem with doing the actual radio.

Probably won't go into it until next month.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
amlohac

It looks damn cool dude, BUT and i really hate to bring this up, what if your dash goes and sh.its itself? Those things arent cheap and even if it wasnt as a direct result of your blue lighting mod im sure ford would blame the fact you even took it out of your car to do that. You have essentially voided your warranty.

But does look cool, if your like me youd be saying "warranty? and who cares?"
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
BlackLS

The only concerning bit of doing this mod is the instrument cluster.

Half way through modding circuit board I thought "I'm half way thorugh voiding my warranty". But there is not much that could go wrong with it.

The cluster is a very reliable part, but having said that if anyone wanted to do this mod I'd suggest get there car to at least 10000kms so that least any manufacturing fault that should have broken would have.

I'm used to working around circuit boards, used to do mobile phone repairs and mods, computer motherboards etc so I'm very familiar to this (the components on the board behind the gauge cluster, which is around 35 x 15cm, could fit on a 1.5 x 1.5cm section of board in a mobile phone!)

I'll try to get some good quality pics tomorrow night
Old 20-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #15
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
used to do mobile phone repairs
Hey... so did I! haha

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 20-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #16
Uni

is it possible to have the trip computer screen blue backlit too, or is that built into the screen and impossible to remove?

Uni/.

EDIT: actually.. that might bugger with the contrast.. perhaps a less deep blue light would work better?
Old 20-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
jameseybuddy
06 Focus Zetec Owner

That is exactly what I want to do!! Sweet looking man!!
jameseybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
jameseybuddy
06 Focus Zetec Owner

For those unlucky peoples, namely me, who are nowhere near Sydney and do not have the expertise to do this themselves, any advice? I can get the LED's, but I need them installed? You reckon that will be exy,(expensive)?
Old 20-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #19
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I can see two options for you Jameseybuddy.

1. Buy BlackLS a couple of plane tickets to QLD ad have him do the job....
2. Approach your local TAFE people (students) and see if any of them might be willing.
3. Thats all I can think of. lol

Old 21-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
jameseybuddy
06 Focus Zetec Owner

I can see the problems with your suggestions:

1. If I had enough money to fly him here, I would just take the car down there

2. I do not have enough money to trust TAFE students with my brand new Zetec. I once was a TAFE student and I never met anyone there I would trust with thtis kind of job.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #21
HOT711
HOT711

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

Daaang, that just looks so sweet :sm_headba - i want blue lights now! might be a stupid question but where are the factory interior globes? you talking about the dash back lights or just the standard interior light ... cos i am NOT good with a soldering iron, as in don't think I've even been within a kilometre of one LOL i would end up frying the ford LOL but I so want those lights and imagine it'd be so expensive to get it done somewhere! LMK bout the led's from Jaycar ...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #22
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks great, a big improvement over the green

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #23
Uni

you hear that, Mr. Ford??

he said IT'S A BIG IMPROVEMENT ON THE GREEN ;)

Uni/.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec love
Daaang, that just looks so sweet :sm_headba - i want blue lights now! might be a stupid question but where are the factory interior globes? you talking about the dash back lights or just the standard interior light ... cos i am NOT good with a soldering iron, as in don't think I've even been within a kilometre of one LOL i would end up frying the ford LOL but I so want those lights and imagine it'd be so expensive to get it done somewhere! LMK bout the led's from Jaycar ...
Yeah, the blue lights do look fantastic!

BlackLS - I'm still up for it, might see your car on Sunday (AFD? If you're going?)

zetec love - In my Focus, I am referring to replacing the standard interior light (near the rear vision mirror). The one I put in mine is VERY bright, like daylight in the front of the car when you turn it on at night!
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #25
BlackLS

Zetec Love or "Rosi": ;) Dash lights are a pretty difficult thing, although I don't know if the Fiesta has PBC LED's soldered into the dash cluster circuit board (like the lights in a mobile phone), or if it has bulb holders that you can replace. If its the latter, it makes the job 10 times easier!

Russ: I'll play it by ear on the day whether I'm there, but I won't be entering.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BlackLS, I've got a spare focus cd player/stereo lying around if you mess yours up when you do the LEDs just so you know...
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #27
BlackLS

Thanks brah ;)
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #28
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Zetec Love or "Rosi": ;) Dash lights are a pretty difficult thing, although I don't know if the Fiesta has PBC LED's soldered into the dash cluster circuit board (like the lights in a mobile phone), or if it has bulb holders that you can replace. If its the latter, it makes the job 10 times easier!

Russ: I'll play it by ear on the day whether I'm there, but I won't be entering.
No worries, I'm planning on going but won't enter my car.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 14-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

yo black LS, any possibilities for doing those to a FEZ??

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #30
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
yo black LS, any possibilities for doing those to a FEZ??
Possibly, will get back to you mate ;)