Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #61
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I totally understand you mate, I'm in the same boat although this is my second year

NRMA has the TDCi listed on their site, you can get an online estimate there if you want.

I'm hoping for mine Friday as well, it's a race to be the first forum TDCi owner!! :P
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #62
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My commute is half that, it was the torque and driveablity of the diesel that sold me. Mine is due for delivery tommorow also, minus the sports gear knob as the accessory list is incorrect, the sports gear knob is available in the 5 speed only and the diesel being a 6 speed well you know the rest. So I may look at one of the above options later down the track, not sure how it will work the the 6 speed as you have to pull the gear stick up for reverse. Anyway cant wait to pick it up.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #63
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about the sports knob off an XR5. They are 6 speed.

What colour you getting
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #64
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a feeling they might be different reverse locations, although I cant confirm that as I just dont remember. I am getting a black one, will post some pics asap when I get it.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #65
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #66
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I have a feeling they might be different reverse locations, although I cant confirm that as I just dont remember. I am getting a black one, will post some pics asap when I get it.
I'm curious about this as well, can an XR5 owner clear this up please?

Just got word today that I probably won't be getting mine until maybe Wednesday next week, they just got some parts in and I told them not to rush the paint job.

Ah well the wait will be worth it I suppose
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #67
Mansal

Hey guys,

I've just picked up my Focus TDCi - it's bloody brilliant!

Very happy with it.

...now to get used to the usual EU-isms of the car...

will post some photos & more info tomorrow.
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #68
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
Hey guys,

I've just picked up my Focus TDCi - it's bloody brilliant!

Very happy with it.

...now to get used to the usual EU-isms of the car...

will post some photos & more info tomorrow.
Woot!!! Congrats on your purchase mate

Mine has been pushed back until next Friday arvo now :(

I never had a chance to get above 4th gear in my test drive and I'm curious to know what RPMs it's pulling at 100km/h in 6th, do you reckon you could let me know when you get a chance? Thanks

Looking forward to the pics!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #69
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got mine this afternoon as well, bloody sensational. I have stalled it a few times though, will take a little while to get used too. Will also post some photos tommorow as well, gear knob is confirmed different as the diesel is a pull up reverse to the left and the xr5 is bottom right, normal changing.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #70
Mansal

Quote:
Got mine this afternoon as well, bloody sensational. I have stalled it a few times though, will take a little while to get used too.
You're exactly right - I tried to take off in second and stalled it once - mind you I've been able to do some low-speed driving in 3rd gear, what I'd normally do in 2nd.

When I stalled it I was s**tting myself because it wouldn't restart with the key in the ignition position - have to turn off and turn on again.

Quote:
gear knob is confirmed different as the diesel is a pull up reverse to the left and the xr5 is bottom right, normal changing.
Same here - I ordered the optional gear knob but wasn't able to get it - $85 refund coming my way.

TurboDiesel - thanks a lot! It's a pity your order's been pushed back till next Friday. I almost didn't get mine today (hiccup in novation settlement). At 3pm today I get a call from the dealer telling me to pick up the car - never did the Ballarat-->Melbourne drive so quickly!

Oh BTW - 110k @ 6th ~ 2000rpm, right on the economy sweetspot!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #71
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Well the main reason for my delay is because they just got the parts for the bodykit in and I told them not to rush the painting so it's done properly.

It's a shame about the gear knob, I hope they do bring out a TDCi one eventually. 2000rpm in 6th sounds awesome, right on the peak torque.

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your new cars, let the diesel flow!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #72
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First impressions of the car after 24 hours of ownership including a few minor gripes. Big thumbs up to Graeme at Etheridge Ford in Ringwood, the best service I have ever had from a car dealer, he even dropped the car off to me at work so I could have it before the weekend.

1. The power this thing has is fantastic, it storms up hills and is always ready to go. You could almost drive this car skipping 1st and 4th gears all together.
2. The car looks great and the headlights are also very bright, the cabin is also a good place to be at night with all the steering wheel controls working well. The room is plentiful in the back and the hatch space is massive.
3. The clutch is much heavier than on my gfs laser but much lighter than my old Ed was, there is also very little room to rest your foot after you take it off the clutch. A minor oversight but one that can be a little annoying in peak hour traffic.
4. If you can afford the interior bits get them, the quality of the sill plates and the handbrake cover are excellent and finish the car off really well. The let down as mentioned is the gear knob.
5. The standard stereo is quite a good unit, very very basic but the sound is more than passable. I will hook up an mp3 player at some stage.
6. The lighting in the rear of the focus is non existent, unless I am missing something. Has anyone put lights in the back? Even the hatch lighting is poor.
7. The middle storage compartment is tiny, I cant even fit my phone in there, lol time to get a smaller phone I think.
8. Did I mention the power in this thing?
9. The car sticks to the road around corners like to a shovel, will take some getting used to compared to the laser and the xr8. All 3 feel so very different.
10. The seats are rock hard, hopefully they will soften up a bit, there is also no lumbar support although it's in the user manual. I might have a proper look in the day today.

IF and when it stops raining I will attempt to take some photos. I also did exactly the same thing after it stalled, and when a diesel stalls you really know it. I thought the engine had dropped out.

Dave
Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #73
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok some pictures as promised, quality is not so great as its with a phone camera. I have also included a few pictures of the reverse sensors including a neat little screen which tells you the distance to the object, very cool. 1 day and its already time for a wash.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #74
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Nice pics mate, pretty damn good for a phone camera

I think I'll definitely have to get the scuff plates, handbrake lever and maybe those alloy pedals too, they look really good! The parking sensors look pretty nifty as well, should come in useful especially with that display.

I'd like to hear about your first fillup when the time comes as I'm curious to know how that funnel thing works althought I reckon I'll be waiting quite a while until then
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #75
Mansal

Hey there davocol.

..an almost exact clone of mine!
except that I didn't get the alloy pedals or handbrake (though I DO like them!)

Tell me - that screen is definately a non-std ford option (maybe for your dealer). My reverse sensors just provide the audible feedback. Looks interesting (read: must get for mine )

My dealer only 1/3-filled the car when I picked it up - I put ~$42 worth so far - Turbodiesel, when I drive it to work I'll be able to give you more info on fuel consumption.

One thing that bugs me a little with this car is the fact that you do not get any notification that the cruise control is on until you actually turn it on, THEN set the speed (at least my monty shows a "cruise on" msg when it's turned on).

Oh yeah, the standard radio is actually quite good ;)

Watch out (listen out) for the horn - sounds like the std Falcon horn, having driven Lasers in the past I was expecting the lame "buzzer" horn (might have to add a second horn to make it sound like my Monty)...bloody ****a!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #76
Mansal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I'd like to hear about your first fillup when the time comes as I'm curious to know how that funnel thing works althought I reckon I'll be waiting quite a while until then
I can't wait to pull up next to a pair of b-doubles to fill up my little toy car! (with the big-car-sounding horn!)
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #77
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha yeah used the horn today, it has a deep tone to it. Did about 150 kms today and am still very happy, also ran the auxilary wire across for my mp3 player. Reverse sensors were in deed a dealer option, I think the system is called e trip, it works well.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #78
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh one more thing, did you guys who have theres have lumbar support and also is your glove box really hard to close as in you have to slam it shut? Could be a common focus theme.
Old 15-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #79
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey turbodiesel, did you pick your car up as yet? What about you other guys whats your first impressions?
Old 15-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #80
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Hey turbodiesel, did you pick your car up as yet? What about you other guys whats your first impressions?
Not yet, if all goes well it should be delivered Friday afternoon. It feels like I've been waiting a lifetime just because of the exterior options I ordered, hopefully they will be worth it. The waiting is killing me!! :(

I hope yours is everything you expected
Old 16-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #81
Mansal

Quote:
Oh one more thing, did you guys who have theres have lumbar support and also is your glove box really hard to close as in you have to slam it shut? Could be a common focus theme.
No it's not too bad - the rear hatch is probably the hardest thing to close, given that the hinges and gas struts are nice and fresh.
Old 16-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #82
Mansal

Ok,

1 week, 740kms and 1.25 tanks later - here are my first impressions of my TDCi.

1) It's a really really fun car to drive - handles well, goes like 'snad off a shovel', plenty of low-end torque allowing you to drive it around town without 'stirring the box'. Overall the impressions described in the TDCi review in this month's Wheels magazaine are dead on - "not bad". You can go uphill in 3 or 4th no worries (depending on speed of course).

2) Headlights are fantastic - you get broad, even coverage of the road, especially with the fog lights.

3) The standard radio is really good too - house/dance music, pumping off the ipod at vol "28" is more than sufficient to drown out any kind of engine noise

4) Engine noise - as the dealer told me (who also drives a TDCi), you can tell it's a diesel, but with the extra soundproofing introduced into the LT model the in-cabin noise is more than acceptable in city driving.

On the highway there is considerably more noticable road noise & engine noise. But I guess I'm too used to my fairmont ghia i suppose

The black plastic cover on the engine can be popped off - it just sits on pegs on the engine - if you take it off to ooh and ahh at the engine be sure to seat it properly on the engine - otherwise it'll rattle and make the engine sound even noisier.

So far I have only driven it to work once - at 100 I can squeeze out 5.7l/100km. At 110 (the Western hwy) lifts the consumption up to ~6.5l. Next week I'll drive her more conservatively and determine how much range I'll get out of one tank.

Three minor critiques so far:
1) the MP3 auxiliary imput is in a bad spot (in the globebox) makes ipod shuffling difficult.

2) whilst there are numerous compartments scattered throughout the interior, don't expect to be able to use them to store too much of anything (with exception to the glovebox which is quite deep).

I've got CDs hanging off the door bins, I got my e-Tag stuck in the rear compartment (luckily got it out)

3) Manual could do with a little more QA - the Ice warning on the instrument panel is linked to an explanation about the "power-assisted steering" warning. It was not until I reached the end of the manual (before the mainenance section) I discovered the explanation about this indicator. (when the outside temperature is 4-degrees C this ice warning will light up amber, red at 1-degree - it's basically a "be careful, the might be ice on the road" warning, does not affect driving in any way).

4) no interior light or heater vent for the rear seat (no big deal imho).

that's is so far - two thumbs up from me!
Old 16-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #83
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Nice write up there Mansal, sounds great.

The fuel economy should get even better when the engine has loosened up a bit, diesels take a long time to run in.

I received my brochure today and I too noticed that the rear seat vents are missing from the TDCi where the rest of the models have them, strange...

How did your first fill up go? Did you have to use the funnel?
Old 16-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #84
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The glove box could be a fault, I will get it checked at first service. I could not find the funnel you speak of, it was not in my glove box. I have wired my aux cable around the back and have it coming out through the little hole next to where the cigarette lighter, looks neat.

I also noticed the ice warning light and your'e right the manual is wrong, 20 mins later and I found out what the warning was. Obviously not a common problem in South Africa.

I look forward to your review TD.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
Ok,

1 week, 740kms and 1.25 tanks later - here are my first impressions of my TDCi.

1) It's a really really fun car to drive - handles well, goes like 'snad off a shovel', plenty of low-end torque allowing you to drive it around town without 'stirring the box'. Overall the impressions described in the TDCi review in this month's Wheels magazaine are dead on - "not bad". You can go uphill in 3 or 4th no worries (depending on speed of course).

2) Headlights are fantastic - you get broad, even coverage of the road, especially with the fog lights.

3) The standard radio is really good too - house/dance music, pumping off the ipod at vol "28" is more than sufficient to drown out any kind of engine noise

4) Engine noise - as the dealer told me (who also drives a TDCi), you can tell it's a diesel, but with the extra soundproofing introduced into the LT model the in-cabin noise is more than acceptable in city driving.

On the highway there is considerably more noticable road noise & engine noise. But I guess I'm too used to my fairmont ghia i suppose

The black plastic cover on the engine can be popped off - it just sits on pegs on the engine - if you take it off to ooh and ahh at the engine be sure to seat it properly on the engine - otherwise it'll rattle and make the engine sound even noisier.

So far I have only driven it to work once - at 100 I can squeeze out 5.7l/100km. At 110 (the Western hwy) lifts the consumption up to ~6.5l. Next week I'll drive her more conservatively and determine how much range I'll get out of one tank.

Three minor critiques so far:
1) the MP3 auxiliary imput is in a bad spot (in the globebox) makes ipod shuffling difficult.

2) whilst there are numerous compartments scattered throughout the interior, don't expect to be able to use them to store too much of anything (with exception to the glovebox which is quite deep).

I've got CDs hanging off the door bins, I got my e-Tag stuck in the rear compartment (luckily got it out)

3) Manual could do with a little more QA - the Ice warning on the instrument panel is linked to an explanation about the "power-assisted steering" warning. It was not until I reached the end of the manual (before the mainenance section) I discovered the explanation about this indicator. (when the outside temperature is 4-degrees C this ice warning will light up amber, red at 1-degree - it's basically a "be careful, the might be ice on the road" warning, does not affect driving in any way).

4) no interior light or heater vent for the rear seat (no big deal imho).

that's is so far - two thumbs up from me!
Old 17-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #85
Mansal

Quote:
Nice write up there Mansal, sounds great.
Thanks! my pleasure ;)

Quote:
The fuel economy should get even better when the engine has loosened up a bit, diesels take a long time to run in.
Agreed - although the first service is not until 3000km, the manual suggests a quasi-run-in of 1500km, hopefully will see some improvements in fuel economy within the next fortnight.

Quote:
I received my brochure today and I too noticed that the rear seat vents are missing from the TDCi where the rest of the models have them, strange...
Yeah not sure about that one - you'd think there would be something for the back. One of the 4-cyls we owned in the past (either the laser or the cielo) had plastic vents under the seat, I'll have a look tomorrow (doubt it tho).

Quote:
How did your first fill up go? Did you have to use the funnel?
Funny story about that one - gave the car to my wife to drive & fill (0.75 tank @ $40) by the time I get to work in the morning she calls me to tell me that the bowser is too big for the fill hole!

Quote:
I could not find the funnel you speak of, it was not in my glove box.
The fill funnel for me (black thing ~15cm long)was in a plastic bag in the boot - should be supplied with the car. Maybe check the spare wheel cavity, else hassle your dealer.

Quote:
I have wired my aux cable around the back and have it coming out through the little hole next to where the cigarette lighter, looks neat.
Cool. I take it your dealer did that work for you - cannot understand why the aux input is in the glove compartment of all places - mind you when the glove box is opened, the lid appears to double as a tray as it has cupholders.

Quote:
I also noticed the ice warning light and your'e right the manual is wrong, 20 mins later and I found out what the warning was. Obviously not a common problem in South Africa.
True, but what about them Europeans? maybe the snowflake symbol is replaced with a sun - warning them of 35-degree weather! :P

I'm curious Davocol, have you been able to notice the noice of the turbo at all? I haven't been able to pick it so far.

- Sam
Old 17-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #86
Mansal

Quote:
No lumbar support on mine Btw.
Old 17-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #87
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Got mine delivered this arvo, looks great! Being a new manual driver I'm a bit scared driving it though. Going to get more aquainted with each other tomorrow, will post pics as well

Yes you can hear the turbo slightly, it sounds good.
Old 18-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #88
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Here's some quick garaged pics I just took, I might be able to get some nice outdoor shots tomorrow if you guys want

Loving this car already!
Old 18-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #89
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep can definitely hear the turbo particulary in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 2500-3000 revs. I fitted the aux cable myself, was not to hard. I was also thinking they were cup holders but if your in the passenger seat you cant pull the glove box down that far, so I now I think its actually somewhere to put your mp3 player oh who knows. I will hassle the dealer at the first service as I had no problem filling up at Shell without the funnel.

Post some pics up mansal and TD hurry up with yours
Old 18-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #90
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ohhh... wing indicators.... thats new/diff....

there is one thing gone that the XR5 had!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post