Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
Ismegordo
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Reco window switches (tutorial)

Hi there Tibbo,
Just wanted to put a Thanks in here as it's a great Tutorial, and a great money saver.
Once again Thanks for the time you put into it.
Ismegordo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Reco window switches (tutorial)

just tried this to fix my two left side windows which stopped working ages ago, no dice

on the upside, my rear right window now stopped working

1 out of 4 aint bad i guess

i'd say it's regulators in my case
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
rmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
just tried this to fix my two left side windows which stopped working ages ago, no dice

on the upside, my rear right window now stopped working

1 out of 4 aint bad i guess

i'd say it's regulators in my case
I found on the rear windows that one side can stop the other from working.

I suspect the voltage goes through one set of switches and over to the other side. So a meter to the best way to test.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah i hear that, i need to grab a multimeter

i fiddled around with it more and cleaned all the switches on the master panel, messed a bit more with the front left switch and now i'm back to three out of four working. Back right started working again as soon as the front left started working.. so yeah it's all current related for sure.

back left will be a regulator, unsure about front left as it's a bit sticky on the up still, but i'll wipe some silicon spray on and see how we go
Old 13-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
yeah i hear that, i need to grab a multimeter

i fiddled around with it more and cleaned all the switches on the master panel, messed a bit more with the front left switch and now i'm back to three out of four working. Back right started working again as soon as the front left started working.. so yeah it's all current related for sure.

back left will be a regulator, unsure about front left as it's a bit sticky on the up still, but i'll wipe some silicon spray on and see how we go
I've been having the exact same probs with the windows in my wagon.
I got a sml bottle of graphite powder and used that on the window slides. Works wonders, way better than spray.
Only about $5-8 from bunnings too
Old 13-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

well i've got the silicone spray already but i'll see how it goes and probably head for the graphite later
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #37
cblaxall
Starter Motor

Free bump! Have had trouble with not putting the contacts in the right way round until I read this. Just reconditioned all mine using the below method and used Dialectric grease to replace the grease that I blew out with contact cleaner. A lot smoother now they're properly lubricated! Excellent how to post. Good work!
cblaxall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
cblaxall
Starter Motor

Also found that the front panel wouldn't work on my rear windows until I repaired the rear switch itself, or when the switch itself was removed.
Old 27-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #39
FORDavid

This thread just saved all three of my passenger doors. Thanks again. Cheers for the pictures.
FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #40
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaxall View Post
Also found that the front panel wouldn't work on my rear windows until I repaired the rear switch itself, or when the switch itself was removed.
Good tip that one, got told by an auto elec that with these switches, both driver panel and passenger door in question need to be working for the window to go up and down, had this problem last night in the fairmont, wouldnt go up at all using both switches, just cleaned the passenger door contacts and both switches worked again.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my front left i pulled apart to find the nylon looking posts that touch the contact, one of them has gotten pretty hot and melted about 3 mm of the post away, i was going to cut the post flat and replace the end of it and file it into shape , my young brother who was around called me a tight *** and told me to go and buy a new switch........ the ordacity..... the cheek..... of these young buks !, why i never.
Anyway after i went to ford to discover they are no longer available.............. i tried repco who did not have any but could order in after market ones.....thank god for the chinese !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
cblaxall
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
my front left i pulled apart to find the nylon looking posts that touch the contact, one of them has gotten pretty hot and melted about 3 mm of the post away, i was going to cut the post flat and replace the end of it and file it into shape , my young brother who was around called me a tight *** and told me to go and buy a new switch........ the ordacity..... the cheek..... of these young buks !, why i never.
Anyway after i went to ford to discover they are no longer available.............. i tried repco who did not have any but could order in after market ones.....thank god for the chinese !
I had the same problem with one of mine, I used araldite that had set slightly and built it up bit by bit then filed it back to the right shape using the other post as a guide.
Did this a couple of months ago and no problems since.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 29-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaxall View Post
I had the same problem with one of mine, I used araldite that had set slightly and built it up bit by bit then filed it back to the right shape using the other post as a guide.
Did this a couple of months ago and no problems since.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Nice work, I hadn't thought of araldite,
I have some stuff in a can that sets like steel floating around I thought I might give a try, its good to recycle .
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #44
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thread mine. Hi guys just finished doing this to both my Ba and au. The ba worked a treat however the au i have some issues. All work fine now just the little globes dont turn on and before i took them off they did. Its very weird as the switches work fine now just not the globes. Any ideas?

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Who ever designed these circuits should be shot...and for the love of god would an aftermarket company PLEASE make the single switch versions! If they can pull their fingers out with the master switch then surely the single cant be hard.

Anyone know the current manufacturer of the new masters?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just thought i'd add a bit of info here for anyone contemplating a b series switch
The AU single window switch lh front door i ordered from repco turned out out to be incorrect(sigh), i believe it is from a ba/bf ...... part no. on the Kelpro branded box is KWS 1012.
the lass opened up the box and i had a look at the switch, the old grey matter being what it is these days i couldn't recall what the connector was like on the AU , but it did seem just wrong.
i coughed up the dough any way , i thought i might be able to be a bit inventive and fit the switch regardless with a small bit of modding as the AU window switches are now obsolete from henry parts ,
after comparing the AU to b series window switches on the left front door......... it looks like a lot of rooting around, the connectors are completely different, the au switch has 7 pins, the b series 6.
A keen bloke might give it a go, but i don't want to spend that much time on it, i think i will try other avenues.

after having a gig at the ( i assume original 13 year old) AU switch under the magnifier it has britax stamped into it.......after doing a quick search the first site i looked at was this one.........
http://www.expresscarparts.com.au/pr...&categoryid=96

switches look a reasonable price ..... i reckon i will give this mob a try, anyone else bought from here?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #47
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK am I going blind...do they sell single switches to suit a T2?

Ive got the aftermarket main switch and it works great, other than the green backlighting but if I could change out all of mine I would.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like a plan Polyal, im thinking of buying the set for mine , all newies in one swoop, maybe do the 2 front regulators as well, should then be no trouble for years......touch wood.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #49
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
OK am I going blind...do they sell single switches to suit a T2?

Ive got the aftermarket main switch and it works great, other than the green backlighting but if I could change out all of mine I would.
Hey Polyal, what is the difference between the T2 and and the standard falcon switches ?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #50
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

T2 is Fairmont spec so its illuminated...I dont think those singles in that link are.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #51
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my xr ones are illuminated too....... well the ones that still work do lol.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #52
farcanal53
Starter Motor

Thank you for the info on disassembly .. once pulled to pieces because of the el cheapo plastic housing mine basically would separate when i tried to re assemble it. I got the problem window closed so have to now buy another unit to replace the old one as it is stuffed
farcanal53 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post