Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #241
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Hi DFB, can we talk about car polishes please.
Tell me what I need to know. I have always done all my cars by hand but as already mentioned on the prev page, getting older now and its a little harder than it used to be!
I probably only polish once a year so dont need to spend big bucks but just seeing what i should be looking at, bunnings supercheap would probably be fine if they have something ok? Cars dont need anything harsh at all they are actually not too bad. I have been reluctant to do it by machine as dont want to go through the clear etc.
Old 23-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #242
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Tell me what I need to know. I have always done all my cars by hand but as already mentioned on the prev page, getting older now and its a little harder than it used to be!
I probably only polish once a year so dont need to spend big bucks but just seeing what i should be looking at, bunnings supercheap would probably be fine if they have something ok? Cars dont need anything harsh at all they are actually not too bad. I have been reluctant to do it by machine as dont want to go through the clear etc.
Once you transition to a machine, you will wonder why you ever did it by hand. Besides polishing / paint correction, a machine can also be used to apply wax's and sealants with the correct pad.

For someone new to polishing by machine, it's generally recommended to use a Dual Action polisher and not a Rotary. Blowing through the clear with a DA would be pretty hard to do, a rotary if not used in experienced hands can create a variety of undesirable results.

So having said that, what would be recommended?

A quick search on the Supercheap & Bunnings websites reveals some products that I would be either scared to use or feel would be unlikely to give a decent result.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/sh..._term=polisher
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...Size=60&page=1

Looking here gives me more confidence in recommending a polisher to suit.
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-machines-kits

I think a 5 inch machine with a 6 inch pad would be a good starting point. These are available in kits or as a standalone machine. The kits are currently sold out but represent decent value when you consider the cost of adding pads and polish compounds to the standalone machine.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...order-may-30th
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...a-polisher-kit
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-polishing-kit

I like when you buy a machine from the likes of Waxit they will support the product, answering questions about pad and compound choices for example.

Good luck!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #243
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Once you transition to a machine, you will wonder why you ever did it by hand. Besides polishing / paint correction, a machine can also be used to apply wax's and sealants with the correct pad.

For someone new to polishing by machine, it's generally recommended to use a Dual Action polisher and not a Rotary. Blowing through the clear with a DA would be pretty hard to do, a rotary if not used in experienced hands can create a variety of undesirable results.

So having said that, what would be recommended?

A quick search on the Supercheap & Bunnings websites reveals some products that I would be either scared to use or feel would be unlikely to give a decent result.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/sh..._term=polisher
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...Size=60&page=1

Looking here gives me more confidence in recommending a polisher to suit.
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-machines-kits

I think a 5 inch machine with a 6 inch pad would be a good starting point. These are available in kits or as a standalone machine. The kits are currently sold out but represent decent value when you consider the cost of adding pads and polish compounds to the standalone machine.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...order-may-30th
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...a-polisher-kit
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-polishing-kit

I like when you buy a machine from the likes of Waxit they will support the product, answering questions about pad and compound choices for example.

Good luck!
I would also add this to the list if you want something a bit more affordable. 15% off at the moment too.
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/m...r-das6-v2.html
Mustang GT

Old 23-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #244
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
With a regular da and light polishes and pads you would have to be seriously trying to rub through the clear. It’s so much better doing it with a da. Doing it by hand is so much harder to do. Saves heaps of time.

Just jump right in and use light cut pads and polishes and you will be fine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #245
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks like a lot of people bought the kits over Christmas as so many of them are sold out.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #246
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Cheers again guys!! ;-)
Old 31-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #247
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Had the dlux for weeks and not had the chance to use it. Passing showers mean we barely get 24 hours without rain, so it has to wait.

So i bought some bowdens own boss gloss. Im finding the hydroscopic coating (nova jet, bowdens own fully slick) make detailing sprays more effective. Less dirt seems to stick.

Ute tragic.
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #248
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know I started this thread, but Jesus it’s been a hell of a few months and unfortunately the poor ST got neglected for months. 1 wash, with a borrowed dirty mitt using heavy duty car wash and weak pressure tank water whilst I was in Queensland. Didn’t even fully clean it, was only to remove bird poop and mud from their fallen nests.
But I was happy to recently give it some proper attention again. Just my normal nanolicious wash, wheely clean, big green sucker with boss gloss, then Autoglym polish for the bonnet and front bar (a lot of baked on bugs and god knows what else), a lazy wax and fully slick. Plus inside vacuum and wipe over. I was so happy at the result. It is good for the soul! And a good reminder of why I love Bowdens.
Two weeks on its filthy again and ready for a wash.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #249
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I know I started this thread, but Jesus it’s been a hell of a few months and unfortunately the poor ST got neglected for months. 1 wash, with a borrowed dirty mitt using heavy duty car wash and weak pressure tank water whilst I was in Queensland. Didn’t even fully clean it, was only to remove bird poop and mud from their fallen nests.
But I was happy to recently give it some proper attention again. Just my normal nanolicious wash, wheely clean, big green sucker with boss gloss, then Autoglym polish for the bonnet and front bar (a lot of baked on bugs and god knows what else), a lazy wax and fully slick. Plus inside vacuum and wipe over. I was so happy at the result. It is good for the soul! And a good reminder of why I love Bowdens.
Two weeks on its filthy again and ready for a wash.

Classic Ford blue looking fantastic.

And yes, detailing can be great food for the soul.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #250
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Classic Ford blue looking fantastic.

And yes, detailing can be great food for the soul.
Absolutely yes.

After a few showers yesterday, just had to run over the car with a detailing spray before leaving for work this morning.

Ute tragic.
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #251
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think one thing that a lot of people don't understand is that once the car is to the standard as pictured above, that it takes bugger all time and effort to keep it that way.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #252
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I think one thing that a lot of people don't understand is that once the car is to the standard as pictured above, that it takes bugger all time and effort to keep it that way.
Very true. Usually I keep it in the way it is now, but sometimes things get in the way.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #253
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep a small spray bottle with a diluted waterless carwash wrapped in two m/f towels in the glovebox to deal with anything that needs instant removal whilst out driving, bird poop etc.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #254
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Broke out the NV Purge to attend to these Mazda wheels today.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-wheel-cleaner
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...concours-purge

NV Purge is labeled as a reactive wheel cleaner, turning a reddish purple as it begins to break down brake dust, iron fallout and other contaminants. I use this product when I need STRONG cleaning abilities on neglected wheels.

Despite NV's best efforts to scent this product, Purge has a pretty strong odor so ensure sufficient ventilation. I rinse the wheel first, evenly mist onto the wheel face and barrel, allow to soak for no longer than 5 min. Depending on how soiled the wheels are, you can then agitate with brushes before rinsing or just rinse the product away. Like with all strong wheel cleaners, ensure you wear gloves and refrain from using in direct sun.

I don't often use these type of products on my own vehicles. As CyberWasp alluded to above, once a car (or wheels in this case) is in a state of cleanliness, strong wheel cleaners and chemicals are rarely needed. That said, having something like this on hand is a valuable addition to a detailers arsenal.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #255
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you had any issues with the products like this staining the driveway?
I have Bowdens Wheely Cleen but I have only used it once as I have a sealed driveway and are a bit scared it will effect the sealer. I guess sealer is similar to paint so maybe not as long as you hose it all away.

Purge doesn't seem to generate as much of a purple mess on the ground.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #256
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Have you had any issues with the products like this staining the driveway?
I have Bowdens Wheely Cleen but I have only used it once as I have a sealed driveway and are a bit scared it will effect the sealer. I guess sealer is similar to paint so maybe not as long as you hose it all away.

Purge doesn't seem to generate as much of a purple mess on the ground.
Not that I have noticed.
Mustang GT

Old 03-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #257
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yep Purge is the best I've used.
Agreed if wheels/wash done regularly you don't need this product, for eg, my Sprint and TS50 no need BUT if you have a euro like my BM and rain a couple of weeks I use it lightly its first wash after rain for we know how wonderfully annoying euro brake pad dust/rotors and road grime collection is like !
By the way, really cleans up the OE cast iron calipers at the same time.
I have not noticed any stains from Purge on my driveway fyi.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #258
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Yep Purge is the best I've used.
Agreed if wheels/wash done regularly you don't need this product, for eg, my Sprint and TS50 no need BUT if you have a euro like my BM and rain a couple of weeks I use it lightly its first wash after rain for we know how wonderfully annoying euro brake pad dust/rotors and road grime collection is like !
By the way, really cleans up the OE cast iron calipers at the same time.
I have not noticed any stains from Purge on my driveway fyi.
Since I changed to Bendix Euro pads the brake dust on mine has all but disappeared.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #259
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Since I changed to Bendix Euro pads the brake dust on mine has all but disappeared.
The EBC pads that got used on the FG when I went the larger rotors now ... are "inbetween" ... it takes a bit to dust ... but it does show eventually.

Ford Factory pads = pretty clean
Project Mu NS400 = pretty clean ... much better pad for stopping
EBC Pads = average ... on par with factory pad performance
Ferodo DSP = wheels end up as black as your tyres within 24 of cleaning ... not quite a good as Project Mu pads performance wise ... but still got decent bite.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #260
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Mmmm, my experience over many years trying many brands I found the aftermarket product on euros ended up squeaking etc that peevs you off so back to OE product I go.
Maybe the bendix euro has improved, I shall check up with my industry sources.
Mechan1k, I'll never buy ferocious again, I tried them twice on the T3 fronts their performance product, utter rubbish, noisy and yes dust galore.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #261
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Mmmm, my experience over many years trying many brands I found the aftermarket product on euros ended up squeaking etc that peevs you off so back to OE product I go.
Maybe the bendix euro has improved, I shall check up with my industry sources.
Mechan1k, I'll never buy ferocious again, I tried them twice on the T3 fronts their performance product, utter rubbish, noisy and yes dust galore.
Ferocious
Love it.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #262
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Has anyone here used P&S Bead Maker?

I received a bottle today to trial.
Mustang GT

Old 03-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #263
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I haven’t used.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #264
fnp

Historically I've used a combination of Meguiar's and Mothers products. Been trying a few Bowden's products lately and pretty impressed with most of them. I rate the wheel cleaner, three way iron decon, tar remover and the claybars. The Big Green Sucker is especially a standout. The only Bowden's thing I haven't been that keen on is their microfibre mitts, I prefer the Meg's mitts. I still prefer the Mother's waxes too but that's probably because I just like paste waxes and I don't believe Bowden's have a paste wax.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #265
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Has anyone here used P&S Bead Maker?

I received a bottle today to trial.
Have seen some comparisons on youtube.
I know you do watch CCAD's channel ... as Sandro does a lot of stuff for WAXIT anyway ... or used to.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #266
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnp
Historically I've used a combination of Meguiar's and Mothers products. Been trying a few Bowden's products lately and pretty impressed with most of them. I rate the wheel cleaner, three way iron decon, tar remover and the claybars. The Big Green Sucker is especially a standout. The only Bowden's thing I haven't been that keen on is their microfibre mitts, I prefer the Meg's mitts. I still prefer the Mother's waxes too but that's probably because I just like paste waxes and I don't believe Bowden's have a paste wax.
Yeah i'm finding myself using more Bowdens stuff.

Being aussie owned and made makes it even better
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #267
fnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah i'm finding myself using more Bowdens stuff.

Being aussie owned and made makes it even better

The other thing I like about Bowden's is they have a lot of great documentation and write ups on their website. They also have this really handy chart which explains exactly what each of their products is for, some brands are quite difficult to decipher what each product is meant to do.

5 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #268
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happened to the old days when all you had was Kitten Car Wash and a manky sponge.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #269
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
What happened to the old days when all you had was Kitten Car Wash and a manky sponge.
And let's not forget this little gem.......

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #270
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

And for removing bugs from the chrome and grille!