Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Auiii lwb?

Another member on here recently suggested that there were no Fairlanes or LTD's plated as AUIII models.

I have a copy from a book that a dealer had which includes all makes and models of cars and in the Fairlane section it shows this :-
Jul 02 : AUII models replaced by the AUIII range

and it also says
Jul 02 : AUIII upgrade includes - 6 way power adjustment on the passenger seat, upgraded door trims

I am not challenging the other members claim. He in fact has a Jul 02 build LTD that is plated AUII so this contradicts what is in the book.

I was in a Ford dealership second hand car yard the other day and asked the salesman (who had been Ford yards since pre AU days) and he said he had never seen a AUIII LWB sedan

So the question is "has anyone seen or definately know of a AUIII LWB sedan" or have any other info that is relevant to the model.

If such a car exists I would like to know the Model number from the build plate

T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: Auiii lwb ?

Hi Shayne.

I too are interested as the other member to find out if anyone does infact have a S3 LWB. I note that there is a brochure in the brochure section here for a S3 Fairlane, which was published in March 02 iirc. Not sure if they ever saw the light of day though?

Yes, my LTD is a July 02, but is most definitely a S2. Another interesting fact that I learnt from Russellw, was that in 2002, only 100 LTDs where made. That may explain why they did not go to a third series.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

For me, a AU III Fairlane or LTD can be identified by the side skirts that were added to AU III SWB sedans and wagons in November 2001. Earlier cars (AU/AU II) didn't have these.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
For me, a AU III Fairlane or LTD can be identified by the side skirts that were added to AU III SWB sedans and wagons in November 2001. Earlier cars (AU/AU II) didn't have these.
I think you'll find that the issue is that while these cars did come with them, and they have been released around AUIII build dates, that they are still plated as AUII. Stu might be able to confirm but from what I gather this is what the guys are trying to clear up.
Old 18-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: Auiii lwb?

Apologies. Checked my LTD tonight, it is a June 02 build. Definitely a AUII LTD.

Still confident that there where no S3 LTDs. Not so sure with the Fairlanes.
I really cannot comment on the side skirts - I have not seen a S3 LWB apart from Shayne's TL50 to see the difference.

Skirts on my S2 LWB

Hence this thread. Does anyone have a S3 LWB?

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 19-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

There is certainly one Series III TL50 in existence - when I get my old computer rebuilt this week (it died on Thursday night) I'll be able to check the data I have there to see if there were any builds across that period.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
There is certainly one Series III TL50 in existence - when I get my old computer rebuilt this week (it died on Thursday night) I'll be able to check the data I have there to see if there were any builds across that period.

Cheers
Russ
That would be mine ! We know the other two are AUII. Trying to establish if its the only LWB AU III including Fairlane and LTD
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 19-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
revenio
Banned

Default Re: AUIII LWB?

There was NEVER a Series 3 longwheelbase AU. Series 2 Fairlanes and LTDs continued through until the release of the BA LWB models in (I think from memory) July 2003.

The ONLY plated Series 3 LWB vehicle is Shayne's TL#147.

Russell, as you are posssibly the only person who can read this maybe you would be good enough to post it up.
revenio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I was selling Ford at the time of going from AUII to Series III.

There were no Series III Fairlanes and LTDs. However there were Series III TL50s as they were part of FTE.

I could be proven wrong as we didn't sell any retail and it was a long time ago. But I do vaguely remember the Ford rep coming out to speak with us regarding the Series III update and all of us asking why there was no update for the LWB models.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

My old AUII Fairlane Sportsman was either a month before or after Stu's AUII LTD was built, and that was also plated as an AUII...

edit: 22.05.2002 was the build date of it.
Old 22-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I was selling Ford at the time of going from AUII to Series III.

There were no Series III Fairlanes and LTDs. However there were Series III TL50s as they were part of FTE.

I could be proven wrong as we didn't sell any retail and it was a long time ago. But I do vaguely remember the Ford rep coming out to speak with us regarding the Series III update and all of us asking why there was no update for the LWB models.
Thanks for the input. That's promising.

I will wait for Russell to see if he has any build info after his computer is rebuilt

As per my post #7, of the 3 T3 TL50's built only one is plated AUIII

OWN THE ROAD
Old 22-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
Thanks for the input. That's promising.

I will wait for Russell to see if he has any build info after his computer is rebuilt

As per my post #7, of the 3 T3 TL50's built only one is plated AUIII
Looking promising Shayne! It will be interesting to see what Russell comes back with. Looking favorable for you to have the only S3 LWB! Let's hope so.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 22-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the only AU3 as such i know of in Fairlane form is the T3 TL50

i'm sure there was no official AU3 as far as standard Fairlane and LTD went.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

AU3 = BA.

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post
AU3 = BA.
In that case, I have an AU4 G8 (BF)....
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
In that case, I have an AU4 G8 (BF)....
You always had a soft spot for AUs JC!

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 22-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

AU5 in fact (BA 3, BA mkII 4)

Whilst being wildly off topic, I saw a G220 getting about yesterday in that really pale green. Thought "gee, that's not a bad rig.". Then got in the AU and repented

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
You always had a soft spot for AUs JC!
Yep, I'm on my 8th, I think, if you consider that the change to B series was a marketing ploy only - we all know the B series are really just a continuation of the A series, except if you're really an "A series" or really a "B series" stalwart, then this will not ring true. LOL
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Sorry for the thread jack Shayne, but here is your typical AU4 - Started life as a T3 as you may guess from the engine and the id plate on the DS shock tower as well as the interior dash may give it away.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 22-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah what a waste. I had a ride in that when it was the T3 race car at Wakefield
Posted pics of it in its former livery and as above but at a different track before the above pics were taken

OWN THE ROAD
Old 22-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
the only AU3 as such i know of in Fairlane form is the T3 TL50

i'm sure there was no official AU3 as far as standard Fairlane and LTD went.
Another promising indicator
I will have to up the insurance and the price !

OWN THE ROAD
Old 22-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Now that the PC is sort of back to life (another story altogether) I can confirm the end date of AU LWB production was the 11th month 2002 which was confirmed by a DCB from that month which advised that production would not recommence until sometime in 2003 which ended up being July 2003 some 8 months after BA SWB production started.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Now that the PC is sort of back to life (another story altogether) I can confirm the end date of AU LWB production was the 11th month 2002 which was confirmed by a DCB from that month which advised that production would not recommence until sometime in 2003 which ended up being July 2003 some 8 months after BA SWB production started.

Cheers
Russ
So Russ, does that mean that they did not bother producing a S3 LWB, despite there being a S3 Fairlane brochure in the brochure scans? End of production is some 5 months after my S2 LWB was produced.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 23-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #24
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

No Stu

As far as I can establish it suggests that that there was actually some S3 production but I suspect very little as it would more than likely have been only BTO while back stock was cleared. I've asked the question within Ford so we'll see what we get for a response.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks Russ

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 23-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The plot thickens !

OWN THE ROAD
Old 23-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I have just had a look at the scanned brochure and cannot find anywhere on the actual brochure it says AUIII (yes, I may have missed something).

Sure, the file name that it was scanned under says AUIII but nowhere on the actual brochure does it say AUIII.

Just had a look on Redbook and they don't have a record of AUIII LWB as well. They say that the AUII model ran until 7/2002.
Old 23-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I have just had a look at the scanned brochure and cannot find anywhere on the actual brochure it says AUIII (yes, I may have missed something).

Sure, the file name that it was scanned under says AUIII but nowhere on the actual brochure does it say AUIII.

Just had a look on Redbook and they don't have a record of AUIII LWB as well. They say that the AUII model ran until 7/2002.
Good call, but Russ's data in the Brochure scans states:
NU Fairlane
3/1999 to 11/2002 (on sale till 7/2003) - 10,297 built

Which is consistant with Russ' data provided above.

Big question is what where the Fairlanes modelled as from July 02? Was there any built? Would be interesting to see a different model number.

The brochure scans also tell us that the S3 brochure was published in March 02, long after the S2 Brochures. Clearly there was intent to produce a S3 LWB, but was there actually any built?

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 23-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Maybe they decided it wasn't even worth releasing it as a specific AUIII model, and just did any planned changes to what would have been the AUIII LWB as a running change.

Makes sense to me, they didn't do anything to them worthy of creating a new model designation for them, and would have been cheaper and easier to implement any updates as running changes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #30
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Good call, but Russ's data in the Brochure scans states:
NU Fairlane
3/1999 to 11/2002 (on sale till 7/2003) - 10,297 built

Which is consistant with Russ' data provided above.

Big question is what where the Fairlanes modelled as from July 02? Was there any built? Would be interesting to see a different model number.

The brochure scans also tell us that the S3 brochure was published in March 02, long after the S2 Brochures. Clearly there was intent to produce a S3 LWB, but was there actually any built?

Stu
If I remember correctly Fairlane was not available mid/late in 2002 (July perhaps? this may explain the 7/2003) as they had tooled up for the BA and the BA Fairlane was not quite ready to be released.

The only reason I vaguely remember this is because there was a Dealer Bulletin sent out about the unavailability of Fairlanes for this period and me thinking that we didn't sell any of them retail anyway. I just can't quite remember if the bulletin was for BTO only or not building them at all.