Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #91
Armageddon
Starter Motor

Default Re: The Definitive AU Diff Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Obsession View Post
Thread-mine time.....this has been bugging me for some time, so I asked the guys at Etheridge Ford about AU diffs...

I got the following response this morning from the service manager:

So does this mean that any AU 3.45 diff will fit, regardless of whether the donor car was IRS or live axle - since it's only the diff centre that's being changed, it's all good? Or am I missing something here - is there anything else that would be changed over???
I have an AU series 1 option 20 with live axle LSD and 3:45 gear ratio...so I believe the dealer info is correct.
Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #92
Ben

Looking at putting 3.9s into my manual 01 xr8.

Obviously not something that I will do myself. Will go to a specialized shop on the GC looking at Nerang Diffs. But curious what causes some Diffs to become noisy after changing gearing.

Unsure where I will get the gears from but am hoping Mal Wood still offers something that would suit.

Besides finding the correct speedo gear what else will I need to have the job done or anything else that should be sorted while its opened up.

Cheers.
Old 21-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #93
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Looking at putting 3.9s into my manual 01 xr8.

Obviously not something that I will do myself. Will go to a specialized shop on the GC looking at Nerang Diffs. But curious what causes some Diffs to become noisy after changing gearing.

Unsure where I will get the gears from but am hoping Mal Wood still offers something that would suit.

Besides finding the correct speedo gear what else will I need to have the job done or anything else that should be sorted while its opened up.

Cheers.
Genuine Dana spicers gears can be obtained in 3.91 they are actually a m75 gear set that are supplied with a spacer to fit the m78 housing. Probably around $500 mark for gears.

Noisy diffs generally comes from re-using gear sets after a wear pattern is formed, it’s hard to replicate it. I had no noise in my 3.91 true trac and still don’t after some km.

No speedo gear available for the 3.92 gear set; will need a 4 pin 12v speedo corrector that interrupts the VSS signal to cluster yet supplies the unmodified signal to the EECV.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2023, 03:42 PM   #94
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Apologies. Thead mine of the decade.

Did any AU XR sedan come with a live axle?

I thought the live V IRS was in this thread, but it is not.

I am currently planning an upgrade for an AU2 Forte, so 3.08 be gone!

Cheers
Stu.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #95
MrEL
Sick Puppy

3.45 LSD centre from an IRS will go straight into a solid housing.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 08:13 PM   #96
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
3.45 LSD centre from an IRS will go straight into a solid housing.
Not into a 3.08 housing which my Forte currently has. They are quite visually different.

So I guess that leads to my next question. Where there any AU sedans with a live axle that was not a 3.08?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #97
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

HP XR6s came with a live rear axle.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #98
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Not into a 3.08 housing which my Forte currently has. They are quite visually different.

So I guess that leads to my next question. Where there any AU sedans with a live axle that was not a 3.08?

Stu
the IRS 3.45 centre only will fit in the live axle housing but its only series 1 & 2 XR6 and all XR8 that were LSD, ghia's got the 3.45 but no LSD or series 3 XR6.
there are lots of factory ford ratios for live axles but all crap
3.08, 3.23, 3.28, 3.45... its not really worth the effort unless you can find a bolt in effort. go a 3.9 ratio, talk to a diff shop

i went from 3.08 to 3.45 and i think it was 0.1s quicker to 100kmh
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #99
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post

Stu

i have at least three 3.45 ratio AU diffs here that will fit any AU fitted with a solid diff.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post