Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Will jacking the car up one side only impact alignment?

Got a weird question. When I need to do a quick job under the car, I usually jack it up one side and put it on stands. Will doing this repeatedly put the car out of wheel alignment?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Will jacking the car up one side only impact alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Got a weird question. When I need to do a quick job under the car, I usually jack it up one side and put it on stands. Will doing this repeatedly put the car out of wheel alignment?
Couldn't imagine it would, not unless it fell off the stands ! Even then it would have to have loose ball joints and suspension components.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2023, 05:40 PM   #3
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Not unless you open the doors
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I didn't think he was working on a 2CV.

Old 27-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
you taking the mickey?

Reason I ask is that I've been doing quite a bit of repeated work recently where I've just had to jack up the one side. On occasions, I'd notice that when putting the car back down, the wheels won't be in the exact same position as before putting it up. Its not way out, but not exactly the same place.

Had a wheel alignment done the other day as the car felt twitchy. The toe out was pretty bad.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 27-05-2023, 10:12 PM   #6
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the car is on the ground after being driven its what I call "settled ride height". Where the bushes have stretched into their normal position and the wheels have cambered out.

When you lift the car the bushes contract, for lack of a better word, and when you drop it back on the ground it stays in that contracted state until you roll the car back and forth a few times till it goes back to normal. It will also normally leave the car sitting higher until you roll it as well.

You might notice when you jack the car you can hear the wheels scrubbing as little as they pull back into the car as it lifts. The other most noticable is when you lift the front end and drop it back down the wheels will appear to have positive camber and the front end 20 to 30mm higher than normal.

If some of your bushes are getting into the fubar stage then yeah, it could ruin your alignment when the suspension is at full droop. Specially the rear inners when they get old.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #7
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

How do you guys go around corners?

Does Ford give you a magic jack that lifts the car evenly? Or a POS that can barely lift one corner at a time.

It will stress things more than a four poster hoist or a straight front or rear lift but wont break anything thats in good order.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2023, 06:50 AM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post

Does Ford give you a magic jack that lifts the car evenly? Or a POS that can barely lift one corner at a time.

It will stress things more than a four poster hoist or a straight front or rear lift but wont break anything thats in good order.
What do you mean go around corners?

I never lift by a corner only, the way the car flexes makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rides (past and present)

Old 28-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel

What do you mean go around corners?

I never lift by a corner only, the way the car flexes makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

what Jastel means is going around corners puts stress on the cars body & mainly on front corner.

i would be more worried if i lifted one corner & opened a door .. then could not close it.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 10:16 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

When I first bought my van it went completely out of wheel alignment after a (kangaroo) emergency stop.
After a quick look one tie rod end had pulled outward due to it the being loose on the shaft. Considered it lucky to have been on a quiet side road.
Couldn't possibly do that jacking it up.

Old 28-05-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
You turn the steering wheel and if the car is working properly it responds by going in the requested direction.

How do you do it?
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
You turn the steering wheel and if the car is working properly it responds by going in the requested direction.
the most important bit.

Old 28-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2
what Jastel means is going around corners puts stress on the cars body & mainly on front corner.

i would be more worried if i lifted one corner & opened a door .. then could not close it.
ok ok I get what Jastel is getting at now.

I'd imagine jacking one side up to jack stands height, repeatedly, would be very different to turning a corner. And the jack that Ford provides is for emergency use, wouldn't think it'd be great for the chassis to do a corner for general "service".

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
You might notice when you jack the car you can hear the wheels scrubbing as little as they pull back into the car as it lifts. The other most noticable is when you lift the front end and drop it back down the wheels will appear to have positive camber and the front end 20 to 30mm higher than normal.

If some of your bushes are getting into the fubar stage then yeah, it could ruin your alignment when the suspension is at full droop. Specially the rear inners when they get old.
Yep. At one stage I was getting handbrake squeal after doing the one side job. Found that I'd have to jack the rear up off both wheels, then let it down, then no squeal. So I'd imagine not only is the drooping side affected, but also the side that has to take the weight.

Rides (past and present)

Old 28-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have jacked from all corners, with many types of jacks, in the proper areas mostly but not always, on many cars over the decades and never had a suspension move, or door not close. Often someone is cleaning car and opening doors as other guy is fixing the problem.

I have had cars hit other cars, walls, poles, animals etc and unless it actually impacts suspension or wheels I had no wheel alignment problems afterwards.

Its probably not impossible but very improbable for anything to move...IF everything is tight and in good repair.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post