Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
rosebush

Default My boot wont pop open in my AU

Im trying to work out why my boot suddenly stopped working before I go get ripped off by some electrician (A common problem I as a girl has)
Basically I know nothing but honestly can learn.
When I press the boot release switch on dash I hear a clicking noise coming from what I think might be the computer?? (the yellow wire box looking thing under dash) but the boot will not release open....The same thing happens when I use the keypad.
Is there a relay switch or fuse I should be checking first?, Im hoping there is some easy explanation for this so I can prove to hubby how smart I can be with fords.. Im currently having to open the boot climbing through the back seat and this is really anoying...Id love some help guys please...
AU Ser 1 sedan 6 cyl...

rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it releases, as it clicks, lift the bootlid. You have to use the remote
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there is no noise coming form the boot when you hit the button odds are the atuator is dead, or it might just be a fuse. If you don't have a diagram for the fuses it is eaier to start by testing for power at the actuator, this is located in the boot lid, unplug the wires going into it, with a multimeter to test light check for voltage from the wires when pressing the button, if there is none the actuator isn't the problem.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
rosebush

Thanks SLO AU XR8 however the boot doesnt even click or make a noise open to be able to lift...In the morning ill check for voltage thanks StealthAu, however if it is just a fuse where would I find it to replace? I dont have a diagram and the usual fuses inside box by dash all appear ok...Is the atuator inside the actual part that locks the boot (in the lid)?? Thanks for your time
Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, the part that releases the latch. I don't know exactly which fuse it is, but it would of been the ones you have checked.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
rosebush

ok thanks again, ill let you know how i go tomorrow...
Old 07-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

If it is clicking, it may be releasing, but seeing as its been hot lately, just get hubby to lift it up as hard as he can, chances are the boots just settled in a bit in the heat, happens all the time when Im in hot places.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If it is clicking, it may be releasing, but seeing as its been hot lately, just get hubby to lift it up as hard as he can, chances are the boots just settled in a bit in the heat, happens all the time when Im in hot places.
thanks

It is NOT clicking as it usually does, however im hearing a click under the dash as I press the button but no clicking comes from boot area at all...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the relay is clicking over but the actuator isn't. If ya have a test light test the circuit at the actuator when your pressing the button on the remote. That will let you know if the actuator is getting power or not. If its not it could be a stuffed relay and if it is getting power it could be a stuffed actuator.

Beer Baron ;)
Old 07-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Sounds like the relay is clicking over but the actuator isn't. If ya have a test light test the circuit at the actuator when your pressing the button on the remote. That will let you know if the actuator is getting power or not. If its not it could be a stuffed relay and if it is getting power it could be a stuffed actuator.

Beer Baron ;)

Yes very true BeerBaron...ok So what I realized was no power was getting to the actuator however all the fuses looked fine and im sure the fuel tank door is connected to the same circuit so It could only be maybe a wire problem...So I hunted down the wires from the actuator when I suddenly realized also at around the same time the boot went I also had a flat battery (seemed to be a short somewhere), so after inspecting first of all the most obvious looks of damage I could see where the black cover that protects the wires around the hydraulic looked like it had come out...Anyway there ended up being 3 wires that had totally come apart from each other, explaining my problem along with why I had a flat battery one day (maybe)...Well I was very proud to show hubby that I fixed the problem myself with the advice from you guys as well of course....Thanks all...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good work!!

was going to say I am wrecking an AU Fairlane if you needed the actuator
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
So I hunted down the wires from the actuator
ended up being 3 wires
Well I was very proud to show hubby that I fixed the problem myself
Wow! I'm impressed!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Wow! I'm impressed!
I'm sitting here wondering what sort of hubby lets his missus near the car! Maybe he has a broken arm or leg......... :
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

run and hide JC, run and hide!
nah, everyone's got their own responsibilites setup, whatever society says can go to hell if the opposit works for you.
funny story my old man was a bank manager yet my mum looked after the household finance!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

my boot did this the other day. however it was not an electrical problem.

i basically had to climb into the boot with a torch through the back seat. move around my sub/amp. remove the boot carpet, remove the actuator from the boot, then call my mum to lift the boot lid up so i could get out.

luckily im not a big fella anymore and could squeeze in.

the actuator was still firing, but some old brown glue crap had come loose and fallen and blocked the actual release from moving and releasing.

so after a bit of swearing and prodding around with a small screw driver, i got it off, attached it back to the boot lid, carpet back on, test it out a voila.

and before anyone says "did you try the manual release" no bingo. because the actual mechanism was blocked, nothing worked.

was a pain, but yeah all good now
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
my boot did this the other day. however it was not an electrical problem.

i basically had to climb into the boot with a torch through the back seat. move around my sub/amp. remove the boot carpet, remove the actuator from the boot, then call my mum to lift the boot lid up so i could get out.

luckily im not a big fella anymore and could squeeze in.

the actuator was still firing, but some old brown glue crap had come loose and fallen and blocked the actual release from moving and releasing.

so after a bit of swearing and prodding around with a small screw driver, i got it off, attached it back to the boot lid, carpet back on, test it out a voila.

and before anyone says "did you try the manual release" no bingo. because the actual mechanism was blocked, nothing worked.

was a pain, but yeah all good now
Lucky you don't have LPG! The plastic clip on my old EL broke, so the only way into the boot was with an angle grinder (due to the LPG tank being in the way). I cut out a section behind the number plate and I was able to manually open the boot like that. I fixed the clip with a cable to (it was an e series, after all), and then sikaflexed and pop riveted a new section over the top of the hole. With the number plate back in position, you couldn't even tell.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm sitting here wondering what sort of hubby lets his missus near the car! Maybe he has a broken arm or leg......... :

Becasue its my car not his he hasnt got a choice...
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Lucky you don't have LPG! The plastic clip on my old EL broke, so the only way into the boot was with an angle grinder (due to the LPG tank being in the way). I cut out a section behind the number plate and I was able to manually open the boot like that. I fixed the clip with a cable to (it was an e series, after all), and then sikaflexed and pop riveted a new section over the top of the hole. With the number plate back in position, you couldn't even tell.
sounds like a lot of work, good u cant tell too
Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
?!!?!$@#%@@ what an effort!! another reason not to get LPG LOL
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
?!!?!$@#%@@ what an effort!! another reason not to get LPG LOL
Actually, another reason to make sure the manual release cable is lengthened as part of the LPG install (the one in the AU fairmont is - I wasn't going to be caught like that twice!).

Old 14-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
rosebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Actually, another reason to make sure the manual release cable is lengthened as part of the LPG install (the one in the AU fairmont is - I wasn't going to be caught like that twice!).
lol untill I worked out what was wrong I had to attach a bit of rope to the manual pull thing and thread it through to the front seat, so I had to just pull on it when I needed it opened...We were camping at the time and the boot was jam packed full of all our gear but couldnt get the boot open. Lucky my arm is small and managed to reach it (just).
Old 18-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

A while ago I has the same problem, My boot light stopped working bulb & fuses fine thought it was just the switch, then months & months later the brake light on my wing stopped working, then about a week later the boot stopped opening. I only found out about it cause i went to get my car rego done and my brake light was out. I couldnt find it quickly so I ran a dodgy wire up through the boot and piggybacked in to light up the wing light for rego. Traced it all down and all of the wires bar one, which was the earth, were all severed right in the middle of the rubber boot going from the boot lid into the car to the plug under the parcel shelf. I assume it came loose and got caught in the boot hinge at some stage and cut them all.
Job well done for tracking it down and fixing it all up yourself.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
holeworx
Starter Motor

hi.got no clicking.fuses ok.no power to switch or acuator.were is the relay ?
holeworx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

ahaha i had the same thing but i was a little anoyed as my boot was packed so i gave my number plate a punch hahaha guess what it hasn't stuffed up since...

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #25
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

on the au's the is a cable to pop the boot just behind the the centre seat attched to the hat rack i know i drove a au fairlane strech that did the same thing

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #26
holeworx
Starter Motor

yea.got boot open & baler tyne on & under back seat.wife wants it fixed PROPERLY .all fuses ok.no power at switch or catch.assuming its a earth switching relay ( thus no power at switch )were can i find the relay ?
Old 24-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'd say that seeing as it's 12 months after her original post it's fixed....or sold.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #28
holeworx
Starter Motor

i have the same problem in my boot release wont work.fuses are ok .no power at boot or switch.could any one tell me wera relay is ?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
enforcerfpv
Starter Motor

Default Re: My boot wont pop open in my AU

I got the same problem today with my AU futura wagon tail gate, it makes all the noises to unlock with the key in the lock and with the keypad release button...but just doesnt want to open....very frustrating... anyone had this problem with the Au wagons? I need to get this fixed asap as I use it as a work vehicle, hence the boot area is the most important to get access to....
enforcerfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My boot wont pop open in my AU

have u fixed the problem id like to know what the problem was thanks
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post