Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default Anyone for Nasho?

Seems that a particular politician thinks the introduction of compulsory military national service should be on the agenda. I've had my marble come up years ago. What are people's thoughts?

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

You cannot be serious! Instigate a national draft so that our sons, daughters, fathers, mothers can go and become cannon fodder in Bush's/Howard's fukced up war for oil and US hegemony. Ummmm

NO THANKS
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
dandaman

I'm up for it, it'll teach some of these young punks respect, also i doubt mothers and fathers will be doing military service, you generally do it in your late teens
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
LEAURA
Enjoy Life

Default Blind!!!!

I happen to be a proud serving member for many years now and I can see by charles_wif_xf's comments that this is one of many people that happen to be watching to much TV to think this way about Australia's Defence.
As far as introducing compulsory service, That is a big no from everyone already serving because the standards for selection were tough and demanding compared to today, now any average joe off the street with a criminal record or background of drug abuse can make selection. Those of us already serving and that have done for the last 10 to 15 years are now reduced down to these levels in the public eye. You would be suprised to know that the majority of us serving are Mothers and Fathers.

If you can read this thank your school teacher If you can read this in english thank the Defence Force.
LEAURA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman
I'm up for it, it'll teach some of these young punks respect, also i doubt mothers and fathers will be doing military service, you generally do it in your late teens
Go the Nasho, God knows we need to curb the growing apathy in this country. Respect is becoming as rare as oil IMO.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

And there's nothing like being required to stand in line and occasionally kill brown people to instill a sense of respect in today's youth.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
And there's nothing like being required to stand in line and occasionally kill brown people to instill a sense of respect in today's youth.
You think that is what it's all about?? Narrrr mate. It's about trust, respect, dicipline, loyalty, mateship, fitness etc. All qualities lost today to some degree. And IMO there is more street violence here daily, than most service personnal would see in a term of service.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Nothing against the forces at all, mate - I understand what you're saying. I just think that forcing kids to do it is a bit counterproductive...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
max
LWBforME

The ADF's line is they don't want 'forced entry'. As a back up the prefer reservists. Which makes sense, because they, just as regulars, have decided to commit to a defence career, albeit part-time. And their other point was that now there's a lot more hi-tech nouse required than simply brawn.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Bluefreak

Should be compulsory for youth who have left school, not undertaken further study and haven't managed to get a job within 6 months... No one can tell me there aren't jobs out there, all they gotta do is lower their standards a bit and be prepared to wash dishes until something better comes along. I'm sick to death of seeing young people sitting around on the dole bitching 'cause there are "no jobs at all" out there... Nasho might encourage a few of them to get of their ***** and stop wasting my tax dollars.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Nothing against the forces at all, mate - I understand what you're saying. I just think that forcing kids to do it is a bit counterproductive...
Well I guess sometimes in life, it can't all be sweet and neat. But the arguements for and against are nothing new. It won't ever come back, unless WW3 is spawned. Political suicide isn't too popular in Canberra. Your point is valid, and respected. I am 45, and have seen a steady decline in youth attidudes. Including my offspring. While he is not into trouble or anything like that, he certainly doesn't have a direction. And think that is sad, and unfortunately very common.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

At 21, am I too young to start talking about "kids these days?"

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 03-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
At 21, am I too young to start talking about "kids these days?"
Hahahaha.... Well let's see what the next 24 years does for you dude. Good luck with it. :evil3:
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Im 19, and don't really have a problem with it. I just wonder how counter-productive it would be in terms of educating the young who would have otherwise entered straight into an apprenticeship or university like me.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big "NO" from me. I've seen what the ARMY did to my two uncles. They are NQR due to things they saw. One has disappeared from the face of the earth. No-one in the family actually knows where his is. The other struggles to make visual or verbal contact with anyone thats not ARMY.

Both served for no less than 25 years. I'm sure the one that struggles to make visual and verbal contact stayed in 30 years. He's a little strange to outsiders but to those that know him he's not that bad. We know we have to make contact not the other way around. Otherwise he won't say a word to anyone. I guess the ARMY taught him to not speak unless spoken too?

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
BlackLS

And here I am thinking this thread was about a cruise to Stanwell Park :S

My grandfather on my mums side had national service in his country when he was growing up, he never stops telling us how lucky we are in Australia
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
XPfalcon170

I'm all for it! A 2yr period when you turn 18. Need to put some discipline back into youth of today, plus it will teach them good skills for life aswell.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
DW260

No thanks. Personally I would rather be serving with someone who has volunteered to be in the job.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
TheChemist
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAURA
I happen to be a proud serving member for many years now and I can see by charles_wif_xf's comments that this is one of many people that happen to be watching to much TV to think this way about Australia's Defence.
As far as introducing compulsory service, That is a big no from everyone already serving because the standards for selection were tough and demanding compared to today, now any average joe off the street with a criminal record or background of drug abuse can make selection. Those of us already serving and that have done for the last 10 to 15 years are now reduced down to these levels in the public eye. You would be suprised to know that the majority of us serving are Mothers and Fathers.

If you can read this thank your school teacher If you can read this in english thank the Defence Force.
i tried out for the army, was looking at is at a lifetime career, they turned me down because i didnt answer a question right in the interview, i was medically A-ok.....
But for national service im for it, im only 20 but i can see the attitude change between when i was in my early teens to how my youngest sister is and has been, so im all for it even if it started tomorrow
TheChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #20
coonpanelvan
Starter Motor

all good for people out of the age bracket to say yes to it, who here who is in the age bracket feels like being forced into the army and getting shot at
coonpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
No thanks. Personally I would rather be serving with someone who has volunteered to be in the job.
Very true.

And i know the nasho's of the vietnam war might take offence to this comment but they shouldnt. The youth of then and the youth of today are lightyears apart..

Quote:
i tried out for the army, was looking at is at a lifetime career, they turned me down because i didnt answer a question right in the interview, i was medically A-ok.....
What 'question' was it if you dont mind me asking.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #22
Reign
Argg..

I'm in the age bracket, I wouldn't mind it at all, I've been looking into joining lately anyway
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #23
TheChemist
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
Very true.
What 'question' was it if you dont mind me asking.
what way does the gun point.... : :Reverend: :
nah it was how big the engines on the ships were i said V16 gas and diesel turbine engine and the interviewer said they were V24!
but it turns out he was wrong cause my father who worked on the engines and stuff for a civvy company said i was right.
Well i guess thats what happens when you get gunners to ask the questions : : (sorry to all the gunners out there)
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #24
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemist
what way does the gun point.... : :Reverend: :
nah it was how big the engines on the ships were i said V16 gas and diesel turbine engine and the interviewer said they were V24!
but it turns out he was wrong cause my father who worked on the engines and stuff for a civvy company said i was right.
Well i guess thats what happens when you get gunners to ask the questions : : (sorry to all the gunners out there)
Hrmm, ive never heard of anyone failing because of not answering a question correctly like that before....
What job were you going for ?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #25
TheChemist
Starter Motor

technician- marine, they told me to try again in a year, im thinking about it cause the year comes up roughly around november
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #26
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with nasho's and I think it should be all three arms not just the army.

Australia at this point in time is at a crossroad there are not enough tradies...there is an increasing aging population...we are importing skilled workers from os.

WAKE up ppl its a problem that needs to be fixed now and if that means nasho's and getting a trade and maybe being a career ADF or do time get trade and go private then so be it.

We are one of a handfull of nations that don't have nasho's...look at the U.S.A. and Israel...they've got it among many others.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #27
Rob
Living the dream

Wars and conflicts are so terribly wasteful, and as a student of history, military in particular, I find the idea of conscription, whatever the politically correct title, distasteful.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #28
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Australia at this point in time is at a crossroad there are not enough tradies...there is an increasing aging population...we are importing skilled workers from os.

WAKE up ppl its a problem that needs to be fixed now and if that means nasho's and getting a trade and maybe being a career ADF or do time get trade and go private then so be it.

We are one of a handfull of nations that don't have nasho's...look at the U.S.A. and Israel...they've got it among many others.

The U.S.A have national service? im not sure about that one..
Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #29
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, USA does not have national service, they have the National Guard which is the equivalent to our Army Reserve. When I was in the reserves about 25 years ago the regulars (full time army) did not want national service introduced... too many deadbeats.
cheers
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #30
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Umm, the US doesn't have nasho's; they have a voluntary armed force.

Do you seriously think it is wise to arm up this generation of Counterstrike kids with high tech weapons?

I have my position due to circumstances similar to brenx's. I have an uncle who served during the last nasho stint during the Vietnam War. He went, when queen and country called, reluctantly and when he came back several years later, let's just say he wasn't the same. Before he passed on, I spoke to him and I asked what happened over there. All he said to me was that it was far too painful to relive the nightmare that was Vietnam; he didn't have a kind word for the government of the time, believe you me.

If all of the nations of the world confine to the history books the idea of national service, then that would go some way to solving some of the world's problems; in this time of American government induced terrorism, the last thing we need in this nation is a nasho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Wars and conflicts are so terribly wasteful, and as a student of history, military in particular, I find the idea of conscription, whatever the politically correct title, distasteful.
I'd go a step further and call it downright abhorrent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAURA

I commend you for willing to serve and defend this great nation. It is when good people like yourself are sent in to do the dirty work of fukcheads like Bush and his cronies, in some hellhole like Iraq where we have no business being there, where I see the problems in national service.

Last edited by charles_wif_xf; 03-08-2006 at 11:07 PM.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post