Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Holden axes 320 jobs, confirms Oct 7 Cruze production end

Quote:
Holden has confirmed it will end production of the locally-made Cruze small car on October 7 — the same day Ford will shut the Falcon factory in Broadmeadows.

But while the lights will be switched off forever at Ford's facility, Holden will keep building the Commodore for one more year before its factory closure.

The end of Cruze production means 320 jobs will be axed, leaving about 1000 workers on the assembly line in Elizabeth, South Australia.

Holden employees were informed of the date and the job cuts at the end of shift on Friday.

The end of Cruze production means Holden will scale down to building 165 cars per day, instead of the current rate of 240 cars per day.

A statement from Holden said there is "absolutely no change" to Holden's plan to continue building Commodore at Elizabeth until the end of 2017.

"Holden's key priority at all times is to support our people and to manage this scheduled wind-down of manufacturing in a way that treats our employees with respect and dignity," the Holden statement said.

"All Holden employees have counselling services available to them, as well as career coaching, training and job searching assistance."

Meanwhile, the 200 workers at Holden's engine factory in Port Melbourne are expected to be out of a job by the end of this year, when the V6 plant closes.

Holden will stockpile engines to be fitted to the Commodore in its final year of production.

In February Holden announced the Cruze would be replaced by the Astra hatchback, imported from the UK.

But this is the first time Holden has confirmed the exact date Cruze would go out of production, and the exact number of employees affected.

In an unusual coincidence, October 7 is the Friday before Australia's greatest motor race, the Bathurst 1000, an event which over the decades helped establish the reputations of both Holden and Ford.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...tion-end-43439
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Re: Holden axes 320 jobs, confirms Oct 7 Cruze production end

This will start to remind people (outside of the car fans) that our auto manufacturing industry in Australia is about to end, and that it hasn't happened yet.
At work and other people i deal with that aren't into cars like myself, thought Ford and Holden stopped making cars here years ago. Little do they know we are yet to see the worst of how its going to affect so many people and their families who work in those industries.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson View Post
This will start to remind people (outside of the car fans) that our auto manufacturing industry in Australia is about to end, and that it hasn't happened yet.
At work and other people i deal with that aren't into cars like myself, thought Ford and Holden stopped making cars here years ago. Little do they know we are yet to see the worst of how its going to affect so many people and their families who work in those industries.
You do realise that Australia is now making 1/3 of the cars it was making 12 years ago, and yet the unemployment rate is pretty much the same. When the Government isnt spending a great deal of money propping up inefficient sectors of the economy, more money can be allocated to productive sectors. If losing 2/3rds of our Auto industry doesnt cause huge effects, i would like you to explain how losing the other 1/3 would!! Maybe the other people you know just get on with life and dont believe in scare mongering.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson View Post
Sadly I don't think most people will care.

Aussie businesses keep closing without causing much of a ripple in most people's daily lives and therefore any news of this type is forgotten by tomorrow.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Bob I'm not sure that 2/3 of the jobs have been lost yet.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Holden has confirmed it will end production of the locally-made Cruze small car on October 7 — the same day Ford will shut the Falcon factory in Broadmeadows.

Everything Ford do, Holden have to copy.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
You do realise that Australia is now making 1/3 of the cars it was making 12 years ago, and yet the unemployment rate is pretty much the same. When the Government isnt spending a great deal of money propping up inefficient sectors of the economy, more money can be allocated to productive sectors. If losing 2/3rds of our Auto industry doesnt cause huge effects, i would like you to explain how losing the other 1/3 would!! Maybe the other people you know just get on with life and dont believe in scare mongering.
Are you a politician?
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Can someone answer me this, because I genuinely am interested......

That company has laid off soooo many workers in multiple waves in the last two years, yet it still manages to operate and put out vehicles. Were they over employing people?
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post

That company has laid off soooo many workers in multiple waves in the last two years, yet it still manages to operate and put out vehicles. Were they over employing people?
When you reduce numbersbod cars built the head count was reduced. Eg ford went from 550 cars a day in 2005 to 83 in 2014. But the reduction has been gradual. Then on top of that suppliers would be reducing heads to accommodate the reduction.

With Holden their engineering is pretty much gone as its not required anymore. Ford on the other hand has been increasing (as well as engineering support that were once suppliers) and moving people across and away from Falcon/Territory.

Ford shutting down wont really hurt in a grand scheme of things. The proplem will be when Holden and Toyota shut shop as the amount of people that will be out of a job will make it interesting.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
BLACKVE

Quote:

240 cars a day to 165.

with 3 shifts it was close to 600 cars a day, alouth the 6.2 V8s are selling well the yard at holdens is full atm
BLACKVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you approach everything in life with a right-wing confirmation bias?
The 'propped-up' industry gave people jobs, returned investment into the economy an order of magnitude higher than the cost of govt. assistance. What a shame so many like you can't see past your media-driven myopia and see what a devastating and unncessary loss this is. Don't worry it will become apparent by 2018 when they shut and the component sector has collapsed. This would be fine if the government had some other advanced industry investment lined up but all they deliver is empty buzzwords (Jobs and growth, ideas boom) and class warfare.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder when, or if ford has shutdown the 6 cyl engine foundry.
I want to go have a look see, they should have an open day at the end, I am proud of what we once could achieve as Australians.

Australia will never make anything of that type of greatness again, as we become a backward 3rd world dumping ground.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post
240 cars a day to 165.

with 3 shifts it was close to 600 cars a day, alouth the 6.2 V8s are selling well the yard at holdens is full atm
i can remember some years ago carting car parts for holden , they where pumping out 800 per day i was told and we where doing the runs accordingly, also 3 shifts 24/7 for a while.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:

if you halve the number of cars you put out, you halve the speed the line is running at. This means one person can do up 4 nuts instead of 2 nuts at his station so you can remove one of the workers. You can't half the workforce but you can come close.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Are you a politician?
Ignore him, every thread about manufacturing has bob and his BS unsubstantiated figures.
Troll
Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i can remember some years ago carting car parts for holden , they where pumping out 800 per day i was told and we where doing the runs accordingly, also 3 shifts 24/7 for a while.
That still seems low for 3 shifts. Ford did 550 a day on one shift. At its peak they ran 7 days a week.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see both sides of the coin on this one. It's sad to lose any private company, especially when they employ so many people. However if they need constant subsidies to stay alive, the jobs aren't because of the product sales, they are because of the tax payers. I think there's a way for government to work with these companies to entice them to stay. Like ensuring they are building a global vehicle, rather than a product in a declining segment made primarily for the domestic market. Instead of subsidies, the government should offer a competitive corporate tax rate, so they don't lose business to Thailand. This is what happens when the leftists get their way, and you drive up the costs of doing business. They think it will help the economy, but it actually hurts it. I think Thailand gets it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

There has to be some "advantage" for industry to stay here (or in any country). A perceived "advantage" can be manipulated by the Govco of the day. In the past... it was tariffs... which meant that the advantage gained by manufacturing here, was to avoid having large import duties slapped on your product... thus making your product more price attractive, over other fully imported products.

The problem with this, was that there was little incentive built in, to produce something that was competitive on anything other than price.

Now that we have virtually open borders... there is no "advantage" to manufacture here (perceived or otherwise).... so it's all going off-shore.

Business generally responds to financial advantage first... and worries about the rest after... so to keep manufacturing here, Govco needs to legislate another "advantage" in. Say... re-introduce a set of tariffs, which favour local content. The more local content, the less tariff applied.
Also... if a business can manufacture "X" amount of product here, which can be sold here or exported... Once the threshold levels are met, then other products of that business can come in tariff free,
The incentive for the business would then be to manufacture something competitive here, to be popular enough to sell in the sort of numbers that would mean they can bring in more of their other product tariff free... thus giving them a further "advantage".

Sure, no-one want to pay more for anything... and any tariff is just another tax us punters pay for in the end... but the reality is, wether it's in the form of tariffs, levies, business subsidies or unemployment benefits... us punters are paying them all anyway ! The difference is, some of these are a drag on the Country... and others can stimulate the local economy, so we all benefit in the long run.

BTW... not saying this is "the" answer... but what we've got now is not working in our favour, obviously... so something else needs to be considered !??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Ignore him, every thread about manufacturing has bob and his BS unsubstantiated figures.
Troll
Ahhhh the last retort of someone who cant fire back. Sorry i didnt mean to say it is only my impression it was an unsustainable industry. I guess the same thought process goes thru the minds of the government, the heads of GM, the heads of Ford, the heads of Toyota. And for that matter also the heads of all other car manufacturers in the world that havent offered to set up a factory here. Not to mention the 93% of Australians who like buying imported cars each year.

You could throw all the money in the world at the problem, but Australias small population, distance from markets, high comparative wages etc, means we can never have a sustainable car manufacturing industry. And thats coming (not from a politician) from someone who runs an unsupported business, employing 5 hard working Australians.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahhhh the last retort of someone who cant fire back. Sorry i didnt mean to say it is only my impression it was an unsustainable industry. I guess the same thought process goes thru the minds of the government, the heads of GM, the heads of Ford, the heads of Toyota. And for that matter also the heads of all other car manufacturers in the world that havent offered to set up a factory here. Not to mention the 93% of Australians who like buying imported cars each year.

You could throw all the money in the world at the problem, but Australias small population, distance from markets, high comparative wages etc, means we can never have a sustainable car manufacturing industry. And thats coming (not from a politician) from someone who runs an unsupported business, employing 5 hard working Australians.
Well that is marginally better than your usual tripe. Still pi$$weak though
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I see both sides of the coin on this one. It's sad to lose any private company, especially when they employ so many people. However if they need constant subsidies to stay alive, the jobs aren't because of the product sales, they are because of the tax payers. I think there's a way for government to work with these companies to entice them to stay. Like ensuring they are building a global vehicle, rather than a product in a declining segment made primarily for the domestic market. Instead of subsidies, the government should offer a competitive corporate tax rate, so they don't lose business to Thailand. This is what happens when the leftists get their way, and you drive up the costs of doing business. They think it will help the economy, but it actually hurts it. I think Thailand gets it.
Time to shut down the auto industry then. If you think they're not getting money from the government then you havent looked into the industry. Thailand throws lots of money at the car makers so their country has jobs. On top of thay they have protection to make sure people buy local......then again the US is no better....especially for a country that preaches free trade.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Time to shut down the auto industry then. If you think they're not getting money from the government then you havent looked into the industry. Thailand throws lots of money at the car makers so their country has jobs. On top of thay they have protection to make sure people buy local......then again the US is no better....especially for a country that preaches free trade.
Did I say they weren't getting money from the government? Japan also subsidizes its car manufacturers. Yes it's hard to compete with free trade in a global economy against countries who subsidize their companies. But with all the regulations and high costs, obviously Australia is no longer competitive globally in manufacturing. So current strategy is not working. If it was, you wouldn't have factories closing. By "the US" do you mean the US federal government or some people in the US? Because the Obama administration is far from preaching free trade. He is as bad as the rest of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
By "the US" do you mean the US federal government or some people in the US? Because the Obama administration is far from preaching free trade. He is as bad as the rest of them
The us gov in general. They have been protecting their industries always (and not just automotive) but they push a free economy. Australia was never going to be able to sustain an automotive industry. For a multitude of reasons the numbers wern't sustainable. Cheaper manufacturing is a major factor that it didnt continue (be it something other then the unique cars australia have). But my point is there really isnt a car company out there that isnt running on government subsidies. At least the Australian system delivered a 300% return on its money....so that delieverd growth and jobs.
Old 15-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think we even needed to have an advantage to make cars here , all we needed was a level playing field and the powers that be to have the back bone to make sure we got it , alas ...........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #25
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I dont think we even needed to have an advantage to make cars here , all we needed was a level playing field and the powers that be to have the back bone to make sure we got it , alas ...........
But the fact is you will never get a level playing field it's a myth, a concept for the naïve.

You look after your own nation and States 1st and foremost, that's what governments are suppose to be all about, looking after the people who vote them in and that's what we can see with the whole history of Ford Australia how it all worked.( good book Ford Australia - the cars and the people who built them ) this book has just come out.

We could of been just a dumping ground for all makes of imported cars and had no manufactoring ability at all and been just a backward hick place that could not make a frying pan.

Australia was a backwards laughing stock till our Government got it's act together and GMH brought out that FX Holden and the other company's kicked in and got the ball rolling.

We could still have the ability to make cars now with the dollar as it is around 70c in the USA dollar and if we had a good Government and good bright Unions, but we don't have them two, as such they have sold our nation out, not to mention also a lot of ignorant people who want everything for nothing mentality and a moronic she will be right mentality.
The future will be up s creek without a paddle, following South Africa lead, just run by backward morons and the criminally insane.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post