The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #31
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: KIA Stinger uncertain future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
No you are wrong. Accept it.

So all 4 door cars are sedans? No they aren't.

The end indeed.
Ignoring that.

What other large hatch/sedan offers the performance and versatility the stinger does at the price point? I’d say it’s nearly none going off the top of my head. Your looking at 5 series BMW in 535 or 530 guise, Mercedes e43. All well over $100k.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #32
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Ignoring that.

What other large hatch/sedan offers the performance and versatility the stinger does at the price point? I’d say it’s nearly none going off the top of my head. Your looking at 5 series BMW in 535 or 530 guise, Mercedes e43. All well over $100k.
None do.

Put a different badge on it sells.

It's a KIA. It is/was way too expensive as I agree no market exists.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #33
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the next one that is kind of close to Stinger is the Genesis G70. Can get the same drive train, a bit smaller bit more money as it’s sits in the luxury segment. Food for thought.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #34
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
If less than 45K it would have sold.

I can't afford either but I've driven a Mustang (twice) and a Stinger once.

The Stinger better in every way outside looks and engine sound.

American built cars are horrible but they sell as look great

I’ve driven both quite a bit and now own a Mustang. The Stinger lacks X factor. It lacks presence on the road. It’s just dull. Sure it’s fast enough but not too many people want fast cars these days with our nanny state laws.
Driving a Mustang is an event. Weird stuff happens in Mustangs. People engage with the car and it’s driver. You get little notes handed to you in the drive through. Girls blow kisses at the car. Boys want you to rev it or skid it. It also has heritage and is quite nostalgic for many people.
The Stinger isn’t seen by the general public in the same way. Drive a Stinger and nothing happens. Nobody notices it. It also has no heritage to draw on.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #35
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’ve driven both quite a bit and now own a Mustang. The Stinger lacks X factor. It lacks presence on the road. It’s just dull. Sure it’s fast enough but not too many people want fast cars these days with our nanny state laws.
Driving a Mustang is an event. Weird stuff happens in Mustangs. People engage with the car and it’s driver. You get little notes handed to you in the drive through. Girls blow kisses at the car. Boys want you to rev it or skid it. It also has heritage and is quite nostalgic for many people.
The Stinger isn’t seen by the general public in the same way. Drive a Stinger and nothing happens. Nobody notices it. It also has no heritage to draw on.
and thats what Id prefer, fly under the radar, still travel fast (not illegally ) and just go about being yourself.
Mustang draws attention, draws police attention. At my age not interested in chicky babes in my car.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #36
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
This was my general feeling about the Stinger too. If I was a businessman on the road a fair bit I think it would make an excellent daily driver.. but it doesn't quite have the soul that makes you want to take it out on a weekend and show it off.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #37
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
And here was me thinking people were engaging with me due to my boyish good looks when all along they were just interested in the car!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #38
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
and thats what Id prefer, fly under the radar, still travel fast (not illegally ) and just go about being yourself.
Mustang draws attention, draws police attention. At my age not interested in chicky babes in my car.
Only if you are doing the wrong thing in the wrong place. Having owned a Mustang for over 4 years now, I have never once drawn the attention of the police.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #39
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Only if you are doing the wrong thing in the wrong place. Having owned a Mustang for over 4 years now, I have never once drawn the attention of the police.

The cops here seem to love the Mustang. They always just smile and wave me trough all the covid checkpoints. Having a couple of local highway patrol officers who are big Ford fans doesn’t hurt either.
Damo always gets done over in his Commodore though.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #40
MercuryT
Banned

Angry Re: KIA Stinger uncertain future

Quote:
Excellent post and in many ways I agree with you.

Absolutely no doubt the Mustang is more of an event and I'd definitely buy one over a Stinger. I've always loved Mustangs but I maintain American built cars are a fair way behind in quality inside and out.

I'd say the Stinger is the better car overall but for the reasons you say it isn't anywhere near as desirable hence it's awful sales.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #41
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
There's plenty in Hobart.

Never seen one pulled over outside a modded example that is SO LOUD.

In fact it sound amazing but it's way, way too loud for the street so be interesting if it's forced to change.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #42
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the thing with the Stinger that you just can't put your finger on.
It's looks are subjective, but you just can't work out what it is.
Well here it is.
The designers based their inspiration from the shape of the 1970's Maserati's.
Yes it is a classic shape, but is it a muscle car shape?
I am not saying it is a bad thing. Just putting into perspective the mindset of how it was styled.
I am just not sure if it translates to 4 door and what they were trying achieve.
That and no V8 really killed it for the markets they wanted it to be bigger in.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cops here seem to love the Mustang. They always just smile and wave me trough all the covid checkpoints. Having a couple of local highway patrol officers who are big Ford fans doesn’t hurt either.
Damo always gets done over in his Commodore though.
After you flamed me last week,maybe you can tell me what your comment has to do with the demise of the Stinger!please be consistent
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #44
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Here is the thing with the Stinger that you just can't put your finger on.
It's looks are subjective, but you just can't work out what it is.
Well here it is.
The designers based their inspiration from the shape of the 1970's Maserati's.
Yes it is a classic shape, but is it a muscle car shape?
I am not saying it is a bad thing. Just putting into perspective the mindset of how it was styled.
I am just not sure if it translates to 4 door and what they were trying achieve.
That and no V8 really killed it for the markets they wanted it to be bigger in.

Looks are subjective. Some people hate it. But personally I love it. I always look twice and know if I owned one id always look back
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #45
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Looks are subjective. Some people hate it. But personally I love it. I always look twice and know if I owned one id always look back
Very slick in the right colour.

Direct behind probably the worst angle.

Otherwise it's a very good looking car.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #46
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
After you flamed me last week,maybe you can tell me what your comment has to do with the demise of the Stinger!please be consistent

I believe that was Silver Ghia not myself.
But this thread was drawing comparisons between the Mustang and the Stinger.
I have spent some time in both and have been relaying my experiences.
To some up my experiences, Stinger good, Mustang more good.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #47
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I believe that was Silver Ghia not myself.
But this thread was drawing comparisons between the Mustang and the Stinger.
I have spent some time in both and have been relaying my experiences.
To some up my experiences, Stinger good, Mustang more good.
Sorry about that!it was silver ghia
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #48
Late braker

Quote:
Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s hard to get excited about a car especially a purportedly premium performance car that has no
(a) street cred borne out of race heritage particularly in Australia
(b) a brand that is frankly not aspirational- it just isn’t. It’s a brand but it has no “ brand”.
I haven’t driven one but it would surely go like hell but it has to make you feel something inside knowing others want the car you’re in.
I’ll stick with my BF XR6- it goes hard still after all these years and you don’t see that many around anymore which is satisfying in a way.
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 03:48 AM   #49
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

the sooner someone puts us all out of our cadogan induced misery by removing that oxygen thief from the gene pool the better.
Old 18-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #50
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If the stinger was a Toyota or almost any of the more established brands it
Absolutely.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #51
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very slick in the right colour.

Direct behind probably the worst angle.

Otherwise it's a very good looking car.
Vinegar in the wound. I just flogged you in my cheap korean muscle car. Now look at my ugly a$$

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Stinger is a great looking car, anyone suggesting its dull or lacks presence is clearly biased IMO.

What I notice about Kias is they get the wheel size and offset right in standard models.

The stinger is low to the ground fitted with low profile fats. it doesn't look like a family car fitted with different badges and a rear spoiler.

Ford would have to be the worst at it. base model Mustangs just don't look right, and are screaming for aftermarket rims.

The Stinger was designed in Frankfurt where its concert was revealed, I guess if you don't like it you don't like European styling
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #53
au2xr85.0
Fridgy

Quote:
I can tell you the list of things i dont like about the stinger is a lot less than the mustang, but i wouldn't own either of them.
Old 18-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #54
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2xr85.0 View Post
I can tell you the list of things i dont like about the stinger is a lot less than the mustang, but i wouldn't own either of them.

What don’t you like about the Mustang?