Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
pj470
Starter Motor

Default Focus ST Steering wheel controls illumination

So I just bought a 2020 Focus ST and just drove the car for the first time at night, to my surprise the steering wheel controls do not have any illumination. I have contacted the Ford dealer where I bought the car and they have told me that in Australia the steering wheel control buttons do not have lights connected. Can anyone confirm that the volume/tracks, cruise, phone etc buttons are all supposed to light up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (81.8 KB, 26 views)
pj470 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Default Re: Focus ST Steering wheel controls illumination

Really?
Such a little thing to have had removed from previous models.

From the little bit of research I've done, it doesn't look like they do.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

They don't in our market. They do in other markets but it looks like another one of those things that disappears in the RHD conversion.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
They don't in our market. They do in other markets but it looks like another one of those things that disappears in the RHD conversion.
Must have changed iirc my LW2 did light up. I know that was a while back
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Paul22

Frustrating isn't it.

I've just purchased the Active and mine doesn't have the paddle shifters and Ford have pulled the "we-can-change-specs-anytime-without-notice-so-there!" trick.

However it does have the heated windscreen which is really handy in Australia!

This is not mentioned in the spec sheet either.

It also has a button for turning off the parking sensors.

Back to the paddle shifter imbroglio; the alternative is to provide an 'L' in place of the 'M' on the selector which in my opinion is the most useless concept some f***wit in Ford has devised.

The lack of control over the transmission is the first time I've encountered this in my six score plus 10 on this lonely planet.

I understand this is the type of selector fitted to most Escapes now.

I wonder how that will go for Ford?
Apart from that arrant stupidity I have to say the car is a delight to drive given that it's quieter at any speed than the diesel Kuga I traded not to mention much more economical and powerful.
Paul22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Paul22

Forgot to mention, the steering wheel buttons do all illuminate.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
PeCo
Starter Motor

No illuminated steering wheel controls is ridiculous. Is this 2001 instead of 2021? I'm seriously considering a Focus ST-3 when they are released later this year. But I won't be if there's no illuminated steering controls, which I've had in my past 6 cars. I don't want to lose features in my next car!
PeCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #8
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

My 2019 Focus SA Trend has the buttons on the steering wheel illuminated, and I have the paddles. I'm surprised and a bit perturbed they removed them. Damn beancounters.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Goes back to the MkI Focus. It frustrates me also by this lack of feature but you do get used to it.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj470 View Post
Can anyone confirm that the volume/tracks, cruise, phone etc buttons are all supposed to light up?
They light up in my 2019 Focus Active. This is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard. This can't be right because you wouldn't be able to use the safety features these buttons control. There must be something amiss here. I'd certainly check this with Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul22 View Post
I've just purchased the Active and mine doesn't have the paddle shifters
Back to the paddle shifter imbroglio; the alternative is to provide an 'L' in place of the 'M' on the selector which in my opinion is the most useless concept some f***wit in Ford has devised.
I hardly use the paddle shifters but I wouldn't want them omitted. They do come in handy at times. What is the 'L' supposed to do?
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
Paul22

The 'L' button - I've since discovered by trial and error - given there's no mention of this in the owner's manual - does two things.

Firstly if you press it when slowing down it selects a lower gear and then if you apply the brake pedal it selects another (indeterminate) lower gear.

The other thing it does is it prevents the transmission from up-shifting (although I haven't red-lined it).

Presumably this is to prevent the transmission from selecting too high a gear on long hills.

Bizarre at best, ergonomically stupid at worst.

Ford Motor Co do not accept any responsibility for this and will not supply a supplemental leaflet, to the owner's manual, to properly explain the operation.

Bottom line; you bought it you wear it!

There's an element of dishonesty regarding this - a trait for which this company ( I'm afraid is well known).
Old 17-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul22 View Post
The 'L' button - selects a lower gear and then if you apply the brake pedal it selects another (indeterminate) lower gear.

The other thing it does is it prevents the transmission from up-shifting
I guess this is a cheap workaround for the omission of paddle shifters. Unfortunate.

I wouldn't label this change as dishonesty. Any car manufacturer can change specifications without notice. And, yes, the buyer has to wear it.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post