Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #271
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Sad news for Victorian P Platers
Vic Roads says no go for a car that has:
" an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle," or ....

so even air intake mods get you into strife if they actually increase performance.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #272
ConradP

i'll just say mine only makes a cool noise then D:
Old 19-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #273
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
I'm on my p's I thought that everything was cool as long as it wasn't over a certian power + the whole no v8 or turbo/superchargers rule, as far as I knew a air intake and exhaust was fine D:
http://vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lice...edvehicles.htm

Quote:
has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
a nominated high performance six cylinder engine (refer to the probationary vehicle database).
Which covers air intakes and exhausts.

But lets face it, whats the chance you are going to get pulled up in a Focus unless you're driving like a moron or its a drugs bus. I've never been pulled up randomly, except at drug buses where they signal you in.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #274
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How the hell do you get away with a turbo diesel on P plates, Damo?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #275
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
How the hell do you get away with a turbo diesel on P plates, Damo?
Turbo diesels are exempted automatically here in Victoria, as long as its not 8 cylinders.

The smart choice

You can apply for exemptions for other vehicles, but it needs certain criteria like 4 doors, family type car, etc, and the chances of getting something out of VicRoads is like Santa coming down your chimney on a unicycle sounding a vuvuzela
Old 19-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #276
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha. When I was on P plates I had a 302 V8 in my XB. 179kw, 0-100 in about 8.5. I didn't die, obviously, and I'm sure the current 6 cyl Falcon would well and truly outperform that old heap...

Old 19-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #277
ConradP

isn't a focus faster to 100 than that? haha :P
Old 19-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #278
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think so. They quote the 4 speed petrol auto as being 10.85, but I'm not sure if that's in "D", or using the sports shift. I think the manual petrol does about 9.2.

Old 20-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #279
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Ha. When I was on P plates I had a 302 V8 in my XB. 179kw, 0-100 in about 8.5. I didn't die, obviously, and I'm sure the current 6 cyl Falcon would well and truly outperform that old heap...

I had similar when I was around 20 (off my 'P's though) 302 V8 XC manual 0 - the fuel bowser in about 300 k's (full tank) That was in the good old days when fuel was a little over 30 cents per litre

Back on topic though, in comparison the modern diesel is probably just as quick or quicker and could do Sydney to Melbourne on one tank of fuel, compared to probably 3 or more stops in the old V8

Last edited by Russ; 20-10-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #280
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Theres been a delay until the 14th of November as whiteline has no stock of the adjustable rear camber kit and the links, so I'll put off doing the lowering until i have everything ready to go.

Looks like I'll just have to buy more stuff and have it all done in one go then
Old 20-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #281
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Theres been a delay until the 14th of November as whiteline has no stock of the adjustable rear camber kit and the links, so I'll put off doing the lowering until i have everything ready to go.

Looks like I'll just have to buy more stuff and have it all done in one go then
If they are the same as XR5, there is a new set for sale in my mechanics workshop. He orders all our bits.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #282
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
If they are the same as XR5, there is a new set for sale in my mechanics workshop. He orders all our bits.
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated but I'll just wait it out, going through Justin at Tuff Car Parts, a sponsor on the forum

He's been great so far, I pondered the refund but that means I'd just have money put back into my paypal account, which I'd rather not.
Old 21-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #283
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Next I think I'm going to try for a larger turbo pipe + hi flow cat. The stock pipe is only around 2 inches so that's a bit of a restriction.

Will have to wait for some funds though, already spent too much on it this year!

Damo, the Code Red intake doesn't actually come with a cold air pipe so you can either get one separately or make one up with the silicone bits they give you in the box.

And the instructions are in German..

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #284
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Next I think I'm going to try for a larger turbo pipe + hi flow cat. The stock pipe is only around 2 inches so that's a bit of a restriction.

Will have to wait for some funds though, already spent too much on it this year!

Damo, the Code Red intake doesn't actually come with a cold air pipe so you can either get one separately or make one up with the silicone bits they give you in the box.

And the instructions are in German..
You looking at turbo back exhaust? I am too, but I'm not sure if I can have one done and keep the DPF in there? I was talking to a friend in the know and he reckons no point going larger than the exhaust housing outlet size on the turbo, which makes sense.

Also god damn it, might have to get some Sillicon hose and make one, where did you run yours to?

This replaces the entire airbox yes? Did you find it made much of a difference on your TDCI?
Old 21-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #285
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Yeah the turbo pipe and the cat will make the exhaust significantly more free flowing.

When I had the Code Red (Long story why I don't anymore), I just ran the silicone hoses downward and faced it backwards. Not sure about yours but mine was a bastard to install as the bracket it came with had a hole smaller than the bolt it was supposed to fit.

The silicone hoses make a lot of noise though, it was quite loud so I recommend attaching a proper hose. As the standard airbox is restrictive as hell, you will definitely notice a difference.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 21-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #286
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Interesting, loud as in sucking noise?
Old 22-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #287
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Interesting, loud as in sucking noise?
More like an exhaust drone, the induction sounds good.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 24-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #288
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The package is somewhere in Germany I think, the last thing on the DHL tracking was "IPZF DE" or something similar, maybe its left the country as it shows a picture of boxes on a conveyer belt which has been highligted, which means completed and the progress bar is at 60%.

Would there be a difference between RHD and LHD floor mats? I assume they'd be the same except in a LHD car you'd put it on the left side of the car right?

Also this arrived in the mail today, 22 pounds shipped:

Click to make it larger.

It covers 2.0 TDCI LV Focus as well as the 1.6/1.8 variants we didn't get.
Old 24-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #289
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Would there be a difference between RHD and LHD floor mats? I assume they'd be the same except in a LHD car you'd put it on the left side of the car right?
Pretty sure there is, well my mats have ST RHD on them.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #290
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Pretty sure there is, well my mats have ST RHD on them.
Hmm thats a bit worrying, I asked for the RHD items if they sold them, lets see how we go when they arrive.

If not I got myself a nice mat to lay on when I'm under the car, lol.

Might match my new trolley jack:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/828...1022130414.jpg

She's a big one

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-10-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 25-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #291
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Turbodiesel, did you notice any engine response increases with the air intake? I notice my TDCI is very slow to respond to what you want it to do with the accelerator.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #292
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Turbodiesel, did you notice any engine response increases with the air intake? I notice my TDCI is very slow to respond to what you want it to do with the accelerator.
Yeah mine used to be the same, yes the intake does help as most of the issue is getting air into the turbo. The exhaust further improved it.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 25-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #293
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Hmm thats a bit worrying, I asked for the RHD items if they sold them, lets see how we go when they arrive.

If not I got myself a nice mat to lay on when I'm under the car, lol.

Might match my new trolley jack:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/828...1022130414.jpg

She's a big one
Damo, I'd recommend getting one of these for your new trolley jack: http://protechproducts.com/index.php...ory&path=35_37

They're a side lift jack pad, made of a very firm rubber, so you can lift from the recommended jack points, without bending / damaging your sills.

I got one recently and they work brilliantly. Just email them and you can pay via paypal. Comes to $63.95US inc. shipping.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #294
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Damo, I'd recommend getting one of these for your new trolley jack: http://protechproducts.com/index.php...ory&path=35_37

They're a side lift jack pad, made of a very firm rubber, so you can lift from the recommended jack points, without bending / damaging your sills.

I got one recently and they work brilliantly. Just email them and you can pay via paypal. Comes to $63.95US inc. shipping.
Excellent, thanks much for that link. We used to use rubber pads on our hoists at Honda to avoid bending in the sills, I accidentally did this to Dad's car when I had my older trolley jack, it bent the sill up.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #295
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Which gearbox does our TDCI Focus use? Is it the MMT6?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #296
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My stuff arrived from European Parts, springs, mats and intake. Who here can read German? The installation instructions for my intake is in German, GRR.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #297
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Try Google translater I've used it a few times when on eBay to get a rough translation of different languages

http://translate.google.com
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #298
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Try Google translater I've used it a few times when on eBay to get a rough translation of different languages

http://translate.google.com
Thanks for that link, I'm going to order the Airtec Gen 3 Intercooler next, then look into cat and cat back exhaust, then from there have everyhing installed at once and tuned by a diesel tuner.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #299
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for that link, I'm going to order the Airtec Gen 3 Intercooler next, then look into cat and cat back exhaust, then from there have everyhing installed at once and tuned by a diesel tuner.
Need to put new badges on it.... RStdi
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #300
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Need to put new badges on it.... RStdi
I'll make a project thread in the project forum when I get all the work done, and I'll get photos of it all to show people, in the mean time everything will go in here.

I'm looking at either Trueflow Exhausts or Sunbury Exhausts in Sunbury to do the exhaust work.