Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

Default landscaping (careers)

hi guys,
its finally the big year for me at the moment in year 12 to decide which career path i should follow. as the title suggests i have become very interested in landscape gardening. since my parents seperated i have been out in the garden with my dad for hours on end at his new place fixing up the garden, and have brought a lot of my own ideas into the garden.

So my question to you is what is it like as a career path? are there any landscapers out there? i need as much input as possible. what does it involve? are there different types?
your help would be much appreciated as it would help me in my decision
thanks brad

TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work with a guy who’s old man is a landscaper owns his own business and all that> He worked for him for a wile and he basically said it’s a lot of hard work and very physical, said the 6 months he did it for was long enoughf.

Thou he was working on a fairly big project so I don’t know doing backyards and stuff might be a bit different.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I have my trade in landscaping, and absolutely love it, there is a huge variety of work. unless you get stuck mulching heh.

It is a lot of hard work, but very rewarding, its a good feeling starting out with just yellow sand everywhere and a few days later its a completely landscaped garden.

I learnt so much doing my apprenticeship, doing just TAFE courses without any real world experience just isnt going to cut it in this kind of industry. I highly reccomend you do an apprenticeship with a largish landscaping company, should be better pay also as apprenticeship wages aren't too flash (but you gotta start somewhere)
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
rodderz

I operate my own landscaping business, have done for just over 12 months after working for a boss for nearly 10 years before that.

It can be hard to get into, most jobs are taken up by mates etc, but ask around at landscape supplies, check job adverts or hook up with the LIAV for job opportunities.

As for courses there are certificates in Landscape to do which are both technical and practical. Once working you will be very sore the 1st week or so due to the nature of the work but you get used to it, this is a trade where you have to look after your back.

Over time do the odd weekender for friends and family for cash on the side and eventually you can get enough experience, knowledge, money and confidance to go out on your own.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I operate my own landscaping business, have done for just over 12 months after working for a boss for nearly 10 years before that.

It can be hard to get into, most jobs are taken up by mates etc, but ask around at landscape supplies, check job adverts or hook up with the LIAV for job opportunities.

As for courses there are certificates in Landscape to do which are both technical and practical. Once working you will be very sore the 1st week or so due to the nature of the work but you get used to it, this is a trade where you have to look after your back.

Over time do the odd weekender for friends and family for cash on the side and eventually you can get enough experience, knowledge, money and confidance to go out on your own.

Rodderz i think LANDSCAPERS are GRENNKEEPERS that cant read or write

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
dan.76
always reading posts

says the man who miss spelt his taunt lol
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I have been a landscape gardener most of my working life, 25 odd years. That includes 8 years working in the UK.

I have run my own business since 1996.

If you wish to make anything your career you need to enjoy doing it. All jobs have good and not so good parts to them.

Yes landscape gardening is; hard, physical, dirty work and you are outside all year in all forms of weather.

I really enjoy the constuction side of it. Building and planting things that will last longer than me. We still maintain gardens we built a decade ago, and obviously still see ones we don't maintain. Fasinating to watch a garden that you built evolve. Or know the paving job you just finished will be looking great 25 years from now.

Education and experience are very important, but no one expects that of someone new to the job. Landscape gardening covers so many areas.

If you love it go for it.
Old 21-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

[QUOTE=DoreSlamR] I highly reccomend you do an apprenticeship with a largish landscaping company[QUOTE]

what sort of large landscaping companys are out there?

im very interested and have a fair bit of talent in the garden. i have an interview with the careers coordinator tomorrow so that might be of some help, but i thought theres no better place than here to ask the landscapers out there. What TAFE courses are available for landscaping?
Old 21-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on finding something that you enjoy - surely that will help convert a potential career into something hopefully successful for you.

All I would say is have a look at the current trend of water restrictions/usage/etc.

Gardens will have to be a lot more 'water wise' and if you can incorporate that into your course/knowledge development now - when you hit the market with your skills you are going to be hopefully a step ahead of the next guy.

Just an idea. But yeh gardens I think will take on a much more diverse range of ideas and applications due to our well known water issues with the drought. Have the forethought to consider that now and set yourself up well for the future of your intended industry.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_
bulletwhat sort of large landscaping companys are out there?

im very interested and have a fair bit of talent in the garden. i have an interview with the careers coordinator tomorrow so that might be of some help, but i thought theres no better place than here to ask the landscapers out there. What TAFE courses are available for landscaping?
Go here http://www.liav.com.au/index or Yellow pages may be.

There is finally a national curriculum for horticultural tafe courses, google it.
Old 21-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.76
says the man who miss spelt his taunt lol

i was a landscaper for a second :Up_to_som

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

thanks for that work horse. without going into too much detail wat are the earnings like $$ wise?
i am definately going to finish year 12 and then go further into it.
Old 21-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Well it's a trade but probably one of the lower paid ones. That is changing as people put more value on landscapes, outdoor spaces and professional horticulture.

You will start off on a low wage or apprentice/trainee pay like all tradies. As you gain knowledge and experience you will become more valuable to an employer, so earn more as time goes on.

You could become a contractor once qualified, hiring yourself out to landscape businesses that will pay what you are asking. This is what I did when I first went out on my own.

You could run your own business, if you wish to after you are qualified and have experience. This involves greater financial risk, but also better returns if you are business like and get it right.

Good luck