Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #61
LUXO_8
windsor user

looks good.....FPV have been lacking a senator competitor for a long time.......
if only that 8 was forced though.....:S

wouldnt mind seeing another hot fairlane (grange competitor), especially if ford are canning the fairlane/LTD's
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #62
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Haha, I own/ed both of those models (AU and LR),
: But fortunately, badges can easily be removed
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #63
FPV

It will bring in added sales, but looking at the brochure scans in the FPV forum, the seats look like they are straight out of a Fairmont ghia, doesnt look like theres any FPV identification either. But its hard to tell with the size of the pictures. I don't know whats going on with the chrome mirrors, maybe jumping in on the 300c Gangsta mobile market. I also think they should have have broken up the front/rear end bumpers by keeping the silver highlights on the main intake and the rear grille section. The F6 looks better with the black painted foglamp areas, i thought it didnt look quite right in the BF version. Maybe FPV just fitted an electric fan(with 3 speeds of course) in the intake of the Force 8, then they wont have to bother justifying the name "Force 8".
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #64
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
What.... from each other?
IMO there is little difference between the Clubsport - R8 - GTS.

Do they look diferent to the Omega - SV6 - SS.... well yeah, the same way FPV is different to the XR6T and XR8 of Ford.
No.. i'm talking about e.g. The signature vs. a GTS.. or something like that. By the way, GTS has at least different wheels to the R8.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #65
VZSS250

I dont know why anyone would want an understated GT. The stripes and the massive rear spoiler are what make it so good. And that badge font is terrible.
VZSS250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Can't say I'm impressed and am certainly hoping that the name denotes something that WILL impress us.

Wonder what they are doing out? Wouldn't be a magazine testing them already would it?

Interesting to see the use of the typhoon rims on a car with a bonnet buldge (an 8 i guess)....

All in all disappointing, ugly badge...... hope there's more good to come
They aren't Typhoon wheels, they are GTP wheels. The only difference between GTP and the 19 inch Typhoon wheels is the color. GTP are silver, Typhoon are dark grey.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #67
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZSS250
I dont know why anyone would want an understated GT. The stripes and the massive rear spoiler are what make it so good. And that badge font is terrible.
I agree. I thought the whole Idea was to have a Fairmont styled vehicle with a F6 engine and a Boss engine. Styling was going to be kept in line with the Fairmont. All I see is a GT and Typhoon, minus the rear wing and Fairmont looking bum. What a disgrace. It looks just like GT's and Typhoons. Where is the difference between the models. You have to look at the bum to see some difference. Idiots at ford
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #68
StookEB

Power and luxury combined is always a good thing, I just wish they stuck the new front end on it because it just looks like every other BA/BF, i still like them tho, their just too plain now.
Old 24-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #69
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i expected a little more from Ford/FPV

maybe like the new front styling with a similar front bar, more power being an FPV (ford PERFORMANCE vehicle) you could probably make that car cheaper.
anyways its nice that ford/fpv have released a 'new' car good on them for doing so but its like releasing the AUII and AUIII and saying the AUIII is a new breed of car

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #70
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
No. FPV haven’t seen the need to respond to HSV since late 2002. If you read the press releases from 2000 you will get a better idea of what the FPV product is all about.

Its sole aim is to provide Ford enthusiasts with a good looking a to b car that will provide class leading fuel economy.
I hope you are joking. FPV is not about fuel economy. Right now i'm not sure what it is really about but the P used to stand for performance. If they keep this up, they will have a FPV Feista, looks good but 0-100 well only if you push it over a bank (which most Ford owners would do).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #71
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I was hoping they would use the new Fairmont GHIA headlights to differentiate them from the rest of the flock, but they still look great.

Quite hard to distinguish GT/GTP from Force8 from up front.. well from far away anyway.
The Boss 290 wouldn't fit under the new low-rise Fairmont bonnet anyway would it? Even with the bulge?

Either way, it would cost them a lot to stamp out a new bonnet just for a small niche product like this that will only run for 18months.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #72
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
I hope you are joking. FPV is not about fuel economy. Right now i'm not sure what it is really about but the P used to stand for performance. If they keep this up, they will have a FPV Feista, looks good but 0-100 well only if you push it over a bank (which most Ford owners would do).

The sad thing is I don’t actually know if I am joking. Some months ago I was told that FPV had made some decisions on product direction that was a condition of our current environment. The person making the claim was Ford employee that is performance orientated. He/she allowed for the fact that these decisions might be correct but that he/ she suspected the market would react accordingly and prove them to be incorrect. I took that to mean the decisions in question were of an anti enthusiast nature.

I have no idea if he/she was talking about Orion or BF2 but left no doubt that economy was firmly on Fords radar.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #73
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Frankly I think this is a mistake. It does look like a parts bin special.

XR lights not on the Ghia. Use the ghia lights.

The Rear skirt should have been more regular XR skirt with dual outlets. The front should have definately retained the Regular Ghia headlights. If they had done that, combined it with some sensible alloys and a lip spoiler they could have gotten away with it.

Its too heavily a FPV. Unless they are sold at exactly GTP pricing I don't see them being that popular. Personally would rather a supercharged Fairmont Ghia V8 instead with territory turbo brakes and 18" wheels.

Now it looks like a bit of a gender confused GT really. Rather than a muscled up Ghia.

Whats up with Ford? Don't they consult people on this kind of stuff?
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #74
ESP 81

The silver striped gt is the BFll not much to get exited about.
ESP 81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #75
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
The sad thing is I don’t actually know if I am joking. Some months ago I was told that FPV had made some decisions on product direction that was a condition of our current environment. The person making the claim was Ford employee that is performance orientated. He/she allowed for the fact that these decisions might be correct but that he/ she suspected the market would react accordingly and prove them to be incorrect. I took that to mean the decisions in question were of an anti enthusiast nature.

I have no idea if he/she was talking about Orion or BF2 but left no doubt that economy was firmly on Fords radar.
... which cements the concern I've had for the direction FPV has been taking ever since BA MKII / BF. They have focussed on pretty much everything except improving performance (apart from bringing in the new auto box over the old slapper), and now with the E series HSV's throwing down the gauntlet in handling (and laying the smack down in performance), this current mentality at FPV just won't cut it.

Improving economy is a good thing but not if that's the big red bulls-eye of their product planning target! :
Old 24-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #76
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

did you see an intercooler on either of them mate?
Old 24-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #77
FPV

Do FPV owners actually take into account fuel economy when buying these vehicles, as in giving it high priority? You guys should know. To me it sounds like FPV did market research on the wrong focus group, maybe they got the group that was meant for Toyota's Prius? Its nice for them to take the direction of fuel economy but what are they actively doing to reduce the fuel economy of there vehicles? Maybe that diff ratio change might do something if it turns out to be real. If they wanted to be serious about it, they would start looking into development of LPG engines(Turbo LPG probably, afterall they did do a supercharged LPG engine before), or even turbo diesel, however i don't think they would have the expertise in that area yet, they could tap into PAG's development. A petrol V8 is never going to be seen as fuel efficient in this climate, no matter what power output it is, 290, 370, 110. Looks like FPV aren't learning the lessons that were brought up from T Series, they are still waiting for sales to drop into the negative region before they decide to change there product drastically.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #78
Sledgehammer
Banned

I would still grab an F6 (or GT) over these.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #79
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I agree. I thought the whole Idea was to have a Fairmont styled vehicle with a F6 engine and a Boss engine. Styling was going to be kept in line with the Fairmont. All I see is a GT and Typhoon, minus the rear wing and Fairmont looking bum. What a disgrace. It looks just like GT's and Typhoons. Where is the difference between the models. You have to look at the bum to see some difference. Idiots at ford
Agreed i think they should have keep the BFII style Ghia kit lights aswell maybe some bigger wheels (only for brembos) and left it at that, that is unless they are keeping the 'real' front for the motorshow, if not its a poor attempt. Another thing what is with them badges they are crap. Anyway Barthez well done on the pics well spotted.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #80
Phoon Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
I would still grab an F6 (or GT) over these.
Me too!
Old 24-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #81
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV
Do FPV owners actually take into account fuel economy when buying these vehicles, as in giving it high priority? You guys should know. To me it sounds like FPV did market research on the wrong focus group, maybe they got the group that was meant for Toyota's Prius? Its nice for them to take the direction of fuel economy but what are they actively doing to reduce the fuel economy of there vehicles? Maybe that diff ratio change might do something if it turns out to be real. If they wanted to be serious about it, they would start looking into development of LPG engines(Turbo LPG probably, afterall they did do a supercharged LPG engine before), or even turbo diesel, however i don't think they would have the expertise in that area yet, they could tap into PAG's development. A petrol V8 is never going to be seen as fuel efficient in this climate, no matter what power output it is, 290, 370, 110. Looks like FPV aren't learning the lessons that were brought up from T Series, they are still waiting for sales to drop into the negative region before they decide to change there product drastically.
If you are referring to what I said, the answer would be no, economy wont be a primary concern but I don’t know that that was what the conversation was referring to. The exact quote was, if what I hear is correct then recent decisions coming out of FPV are a concern. They will either be stars or they will be in a lot of trouble. Life for FPV just got a lot harder (reference to VE) but ultimately the market will decide what direction is correct.

The subtext was, internally at Ford, there is great concern about fuel prices and that in future economy will be the “be all end all”. I have no way of knowing if the two observations are linked or which cars the discussion was based on. For all I know it could be referring to no changes in power ratings for BF2. Ford people are good at saying not much at all.

What I do know is that something has changed at FPV. At the roll out they were very positive that BA was just the start or something very special and that "wait to you see what we have planed" was very much to follow. Well we have been waiting and waiting and waiting. David himself had alluded to something special last year. Nothing happened.

There is little point talking about it really. It’s done.

I don’t think we will see an explanation let alone the questions being asked. These are the cards that have been dealt. I just hope they can find a way to manage what looks to be very difficult situation without undoing all the hard work over the last few years.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #82
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I was driving along side a VE Senator today... and I hate to say it cos it's a darn site better than the look of the Force cars
Old 24-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #83
irsa76
Snoopping

FTE T series, at least 1 and 2, anyone? Although I have to say I prefer the lowkey look. But these cars just aren't doing it for me for some reason. I have the feeling that Ford has fed us a Furphy here.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #84
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yawn.. Another new FPV... looks just like everyother FPV since the 1st one (and is the same under the bonnet.. I see this one has a little chrome and no rear wing....

Look! over there, Some grass is growing.. now that exciting by comparison.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #85
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
i dont get it.......whats the big deal about these cars?

seriously?
Force6 and Force8 are just FPV adding bling to the F6 and GT repectively :MrT_anim:

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #86
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Very boring... it frustrates me when car companies play lucky dip from the parts bin and come up with a so called "new model", what exactly is new? no styling differences or flair, just a re hashed mix of existing parts and a fresh badge... BORING...
Agreed, this is something i'd expect Mitsubishi to release in a magna not a Ford/Fpv product and those badges : The red army will be having a good laugh at this cheap abortion of a car. Bring on the Orion.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #87
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Meh...

Must admit the black one looks good, but still no diffrent to any other FPV product, i'd get one of these over a GT/F6 only because they are new...
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #88
Dezza
Parts bin special

Hopefully when Orion comes out, FPV will make more of an effort to differentiate them. I don't mind them. The lip spoiler would be better if it was a bit bigger, and like others have suggested, it should have used Ghia lights with a different front bar. The biggest concern would be whether the Ghia lights work with the XR8/GT bonnet.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #89
barthez

Force6 had a standout intercooler...not sure bout the force 8...couldnt get a good look cuz the FPV people driving them were really suss and lookd like they didnt want me there wen they saw me taking photos haha
barthez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #90
Aeron
DJR Fan

You are the man!!

I think they look great!!
I'll have a Force8 thanks
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post