Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default which scan tool do you use, and recommendations

i,m in the market for a scan tool, just would like to know what other people are using . how well do they work, pros and cons of them .

ive had a number of cars it could be useful on and hopefully take some of the guess work out of an engine light.

thanks.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: which scan tool do you use, and recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i,m in the market for a scan tool, just would like to know what other people are using . how well do they work, pros and cons of them .

ive had a number of cars it could be useful on and hopefully take some of the guess work out of an engine light.

thanks.
If you intend on using it on a Falcon then they're all equally **** because it's an orphan in the Ford family and the electronics are unique to it.

Maybe a phone, Bluetooth module and Forscan would be the better option in this case.

Otherwise I've had good experiences with this Autel, it works well on Euros except VW:

http://www.autel.com.au/products/dia...ystem/maxisys/

Updates are expensive at $2000 AUD per year though.

I've also used Launch x431, works well on Jap cars:

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/l...BoC__MQAvD_BwE

Gscan is great on Korean cars:

https://www.gscan.com.au/gscan3

Unfortunately there's no one size fits all, they're good with some, bad with others, I owned the Autel and used the other two often borrowing from other workshops.

The only thing good on Falcons is Ford's OE scanner.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Pis-ton broke
Banned

thanks Franco, i check out all of those links and they are too expensive for me. i,m problembly looking to pay $500 tops. (if doable)

i guess i need compatibility with ford, holden, toyota, the main brands here in australia. obd1 and 2. code reading , light clearing, easy to use, updatable would be a real bonus.

i repair a few cars now and then, so i,m not a pro.

my latest efforts is a 3l diesel pj ranger, full engine rebuild, well i started it first time last night and took it for a spin up a dirt road, it goes quite well. however the engine light is on and its got an engine shake just up off idle,then goes away, so its got some bugs to sort.

thanks
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d suggest an old laptop running XP Pro, a quality OBD connector and then buy the third party software like ForScan.

Try to favour European programs over Chinese, you get a better class of spyware.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
thanks Franco, i check out all of those links and they are too expensive for me. i,m problembly looking to pay $500 tops. (if doable)

i guess i need compatibility with ford, holden, toyota, the main brands here in australia. obd1 and 2. code reading , light clearing, easy to use, updatable would be a real bonus.

i repair a few cars now and then, so i,m not a pro.

my latest efforts is a 3l diesel pj ranger, full engine rebuild, well i started it first time last night and took it for a spin up a dirt road, it goes quite well. however the engine light is on and its got an engine shake just up off idle,then goes away, so its got some bugs to sort.

thanks
I've got one of these which I use which works well on my Focus and I've used it on a lot of Commodores before with good results

http://www.autel.com.au/products/sca...g-elite-md802/

It's a cut down version of the scanners in my above link, doesn't have all the functionality but you get a year worth of updates in the purchase price.

Is under $500 so fits in the budget.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-04-2020 at 12:15 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Otherwise I've had good experiences with this Autel, it works well on Euros except VW:

http://www.autel.com.au/products/dia...ystem/maxisys/
How long of a charge are you getting from the batteries of these?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

OBD spec includes permanent +12V (16) and earth (4) - most newer scan tools draw charging supply from this.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
How long of a charge are you getting from the batteries of these?
Pulls power from the OBDII port - doesn't need external power.
Old 31-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
leesa

That doesn't seem to be the case for that particular model, the OBD port powers the controller but it's regular USB from there to the tablet. There's a power plug that can be swapped between the tablet and the controller but that tablet seems to run out of charge within 24 hours despite being powered off. Think it might be a failing battery that won't hold a charge.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That doesn't seem to be the case for that particular model, the OBD port powers the controller but it's regular USB from there to the tablet. There's a power plug that can be swapped between the tablet and the controller but that tablet seems to run out of charge within 24 hours despite being powered off. Think it might be a failing battery that won't hold a charge.
My bad I thought you meant the little one I still own - that indeed just pulls power from the OBDII port

The big one I used to have, lasted the two years I had it for, no dramas there, longevity, no idea as I don't have it anymore.

I've got the same problem with my GPS though, doesn't hold a charge, all these consumer electronics devices these lithium ion batteries last **** all time then they're junk no longer holding charge etc.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.