Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default New Focus extras

My sister bought new LW Ambiente Focus manual this morning. My sis had an eye on Corolla which has a bit more space, 6 speed manual and cheaper than Focus. I suggested Focus and made them buy it.

I need some suggestions on extras offered by the dealer. Like paint protection, interior protection etc,. for $1400. Are they really worth? I always wonder whether they really work? Especially the paint protection.

Any suggestions, opinions or recommendations?? We have couple of days to decide whether to go with these extras. Personally I wouldn't go for these. Thanks to the marketing skills of the lady at the dealer, my sis is keen on these extras. At the moment we just picked street legal tint for $500

Also, what is the review on LW Ambiente manual? any known issues? good, bad or best? Just to back my suggestion of Focus.

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Nolz

Default Re: New Focus extras

I NEVER take up on any of those dealer options. Everything is cheaper after market. Often at a better price and quality too.

Interior protection. Buy a can of scotchgaurd from Supercheap and go to town on the seats if you're worried. Tinting, you'll pay half that for the same if not better quality tint. As far as paint protection is concerned, I'm yet to be convinced it does anything. Ive not known anyone that has taken up on it and cant say it would be any better than being a good wash every once in a while and a thorough wash and wax twice a year.

What I did get from ford are window visors (handy for when it rains and you don't want to run the AC) I got both a set of standard floor mats and rubberised front mats. Great for when it's raining or you walk on sand/dirt often. Also got my hands on a boot tray. Great for keeping the muck contained in the boot. Trips to bunnings, dirty boots etc.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
wombat66

We got the premium mats. (OK. But nothing special)
mudspats
Tint (They used 3M black)

Getting a Tow Bar elsewhere.
wombat66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
Tinting, you'll pay half that for the same if not better quality tint... ....window visors (handy for when it rains and you don't want to run the AC)
Yeah tint is a bit expensive but just for convenience factor we opt that. Window visors which I think you are referring to weather shield is something we forgot. We will have to check on that. If it integrates into car design we will go for that. Also boot tray or dropout mat... a must.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 21-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get some mats for the dashboard!
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
wombat66

We paid $230 for Street Legal Tint at our Ford dealer. We thought this was a good price. It was done by an Auto Tint place in Ringwood. They used 3M Black. We were told you can't put really dark tint on the Focus because the window glass is already tinted.
wombat66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
REDDYZ

Fraud has charged us double for street legal tint which is $500 and its definitely not 3M that they are using.

Old 21-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Fraud has charged us double for street legal tint which is $500 and its definitely not 3M that they are using.
Ford or the dealer ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
REDDYZ

I was referring to the dealer. Love Fords mate. I wouldn't be around here if had no love for Fords. cheers

Old 22-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
get some mats for the dashboard!
Are these available yet? As daggy as they may be, I'm a big fan of them and do want one for my focus. Any pics...info?
Old 22-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Nolz

Quote:
Yeah tint is a bit expensive but just for convenience factor we opt that. Window visors which I think you are referring to weather shield is something we forgot. We will have to check on that. If it integrates into car design we will go for that. Also boot tray or dropout mat... a must.
Have a look in my thread or the focus photo thread. I've got a fair few pics of my car with the window visor/shield. Should be able to make your mind up with those pics I reckon.

Also, someone else mentioned mud spats. I took delivery without them but later installed them myself. They've made a big difference with regard to cleanliness when driving on wet roads.
Old 23-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
Have a look in my thread or the focus photo thread. I've got a fair few pics of my car with the window visor/shield. Should be able to make your mind up with those pics I reckon.

Also, someone else mentioned mud spats. I took delivery without them but later installed them myself. They've made a big difference with regard to cleanliness when driving on wet roads.
Just saw your Candy Red Diesel. Looks great. Weather shields look perfect too. Are those LED tail lights standard on all models??

Old 23-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Nolz

Thanks mate!

I think the LED's in the rear start with the 'sport' model and also feature on the Ti.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
blatchie

Picked up my Grey dashmat on Sat. I have not fitted it yet. I got it from Adrian Brien ford in Adelaide but they had to order it in for me. not genuine but still $75
Old 25-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
REDDYZ

Strange that there are no headlight protectors available. Can't imagine these lights weather damaged and faded. Especially when you park the car on road everyday in sun.

Old 26-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
Picked up my Grey dashmat on Sat. I have not fitted it yet. I got it from Adrian Brien ford in Adelaide but they had to order it in for me. not genuine but still $75
Can you throw up a photo for us to have a squiz at please.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Strange that there are no headlight protectors available. Can't imagine these lights weather damaged and faded. Especially when you park the car on road everyday in sun.
I had the same answer from Ford when looking for protectors for my LV.

I am completely agog that this is the case, I have broken several protectors on my Magna over the years around hitting birds (mostly magpies) and thrown-up rocks.

I did a lot of searching and found a set made by a company called EGR....but three months later I notice they are no longer listed on their website. I am hoping I didn't get the last set but it may be that they aren't made any more. They don't seem to make any headlight protectors for any car now...

Sorry this doesn't really help, but I feel your pain .

Mick
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick
I had the same answer from Ford when looking for protectors for my LV.

I am completely agog that this is the case, I have broken several protectors on my Magna over the years around hitting birds (mostly magpies) and thrown-up rocks.

I did a lot of searching and found a set made by a company called EGR....but three months later I notice they are no longer listed on their website. I am hoping I didn't get the last set but it may be that they aren't made any more. They don't seem to make any headlight protectors for any car now...

Sorry this doesn't really help, but I feel your pain .

Mick
If thats the case, then you can go for these.

http://www.xpelaustralia.com.au/news...rotection.aspx

This is better than the plastic protecters. I will do a search in UK to see if they are available there.

Even 3M has one but not sure if they protect from stones and birds...

cheers.

Last edited by REDDYZ; 26-01-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 26-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.capa.com.au/accessories_ford.htm

Solution for the LV here.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
REDDYZ

On Ford website window tinting is listed as standard. Is it true? Does that mean they come with tint or dealers will tint them?

Old 27-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
On Ford website window tinting is listed as standard. Is it true? Does that mean they come with tint or dealers will tint them?
There's a slight tint in the glass, no film. I first noticed this on the Holden Cruze, then checked the Focus and yes it was tinted.

The Dealer still tries to sell and extra tint. Not sure how this will go if you're windows are checked for legal tint levels by the Police.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

have been wondering if anyone has optioned and or tried the new park assist in the focus now. A few friends of mine have seen the adds and are all convinced on new focuses this year when they update...thereya go ford...it was that easy haha
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
have been wondering if anyone has optioned and or tried the new park assist in the focus now. A few friends of mine have seen the adds and are all convinced on new focuses this year when they update...thereya go ford...it was that easy haha
Got a Titanium in the driveway right now, Maughn Thiem let us have it for the weekend. Park Assist is a nice gimmick that works; would we use it? Only to show off. Quicker to park the old fashion way.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #24
SaCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Got a Titanium in the driveway right now, Maughn Thiem let us have it for the weekend. Park Assist is a nice gimmick that works; would we use it? Only to show off. Quicker to park the old fashion way.
Agreed ! I have used it once in the 4 weeks I have had the car !
It's like the voice control ! Quicker to just move or push the buttons
SaCrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post