Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #61
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
Fiesta ST 150 External dimensions:

length:3921 mm
width:1683 mm
height:1468 mm
wheelbase:2486 mm
front track width:1464 mm
rear track width:1434 mm
ground clearance:140 mm

ST150 Standard Wheel Offset is 52.5mm, which means the hub to hub dimensions are 1569mm

Focus MkII Dimensions

length:4481 mm
width:1839 mm
height:1497 mm
wheelbase:2640 mm
front track width:1535 mm
rear track width:1531 mm

The standard offset for the Mk2 Focus also looks to be around 50mm.

So I'm calling bunk. While the MkII knuckles might fit he stubs, I'm not convinced that they are the correct length base on the front track width differences of about 8cm between the two.

Lukeyson
Mazda 3 MPS Dimensions (From the BK version)

length:4430 mm
width:1765 mm
height:1465 mm
wheelbase:2640 mm
front track width:1535 mm
rear track width:1525 mm

(For anyone interested - the rear track width on the Mazda 6 MPS is 1540mm, you know, in case you wanted to put the rear diff in an ST150....)

Lukeyson
Old 29-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #62
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I've just been reading a US Ford Fusion Forum where there have been a number of 2.3 to 2.5 upgrades there.

Of interest, they have noted that the Exhaust Ports on the 2.5 are sooo much bigger than the 2.3, that the 2.3 manifold does not have enough 'meat around the edges' to correctly seal against the 2.5 head. Discussions regarding the 2.0 manifold for the Miata do not seem to have this problem. But my thought was whether the Fiesta 2.0 manifold might have this issue too.

If so, a guy that goes by the name of Milan2008 on the Fusion Forums site has machined up and plate and is happy to sell it. This same guy has also machined up an adapter that allows you to fit a 2.3 throttle body on the 2.5 intake manifold.

Forum link

Since the Mondeo only ever seemed to ship with the 2.3 in Australia, this is all very likely to be applicable. I wonder if the Fusion never came with the Ecoboost in the US....?

Lukeyson
Old 30-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #63
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Some similar swaps.

Mazda 3 2.3 to 2.5 Swap

Mazda 6 Ford Fusion Swap

Focus 2.3 to 2.5 Swap

Lukeyson
Old 30-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #64
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Specific threads on 2.0 to 2.5 swaps. These are not completed swaps though. I am seeing references from some that they need the 2.3 timing cover to go on the 2.5 to mount something. But this is the 2.5 Fusion engine - in Australia our options is the 2.5 Mazda 6 engine, so we'll have some unique challenges to our application. I'll keep this in mind - there are a couple of Ford 2.3's sold in Australia - Mondeo/Escape being the two I can think of.

Focus

Focus

Mazda 3

Lukeyson
Old 30-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #65
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
That link has a whole bunch of useful 2.0 to 2.5 comments further down. It also gives a great description on the differences between the Mazda and the Ford engines over the years. Not much mention of the 2.0 though.

Copied from that page

Ford Vs Mazda
Remember the part about a "few minor differences"? Here they are.

Ignition setup - In 2003 - 2004 the Mazda 6 had spark plugs, spark plug wires, and one ignition coil-pack that drove the four spark plugs. In 2005 the Mazda 6 used two versions of the ignition system, the old style spark plug wires plus one coil-pack and also a new individual coil-on-plug system. Note: these coils were the round style. In 2006 - 2008 the Mazda 6 2.3 exclusively used the coil-on-plug system and the coils were the square style. The Fusion 2.3 used the square style coil-on-plug system.

Intake Camshaft - While the actual intake camshafts looks very similar between the Mazda and Fusion 2.3, there is one very small but very important difference - the timing wheel/cog that is at the end of the camshaft. The 2003 - 2005 Mazda 6 had five teeth on the timing wheel/cog while the Fusion and 2006+ Mazda 6 had six teeth. Not only is the number of teeth different but so is the layout. Below you will see a photo of the Fusion timing wheel/cog. I have also included a layout diagram of the differences between the Fusion, the 03-05 and the 06+ Mazda 6 & Mazda 3. 2.3 timing cog 2.3 timing cog

Note #1: The timing wheel/cog is pressed on to the camshaft and is able to rotate if you put enough force on it.

Note #2: A couple of people in the comments section have found that the JDM Fusion 2.3 engines actually have five teeth on the timing wheel instead of six. In addition, they found that the timing wheel was clocked differently and as a result had to be rotated 1/8 of an inch counterclockwise. The air intake ports on the JDM engines are 1/4 inch taller and will not seal correctly with the stock intake gasket, leaving a small gap. Check out the comments by Steve Krause and Zane for all the details.

Oil Pan and Oil Pressure Sensor - The Mazda 03 - 05 2.3L engines had a tube for the oil dipstick on the side of the oil pan. The dipstick was routed to the outside of the engine. The later 06-08 Mazda engines routed the dipstick through the inside of the engine and out the top through the valve cover. All the Fusion & Milan 2.3L engines have the dipstick routed through the engine. The oil pressure sensors are different between the Fusion and the Mazda so they have to be swapped. Physically they look the same but they function differently. If you use the Fusion oil pressure sensor it will cause the oil light to come on.

Valve Cover - The early Mazda engines had metal valve covers. The later 06+ Mazda and Fusion 2.3 engines use a plastic cover with a hole for the oil dipstick.

Crankshaft Pulley and Crankshaft Position Sensor - The Mazda 2.3L and the Ford 2.3L have different crankshaft pulleys (number and layout of the timing teeth don't match) and different crankshaft position sensors (one is three wire and the other one is two wire). The Mazda 6 2003 - 2005 also used a different crankshaft sensor than the Mazda 6 2006-2008 (sensors have different mounting points).

Front Timing Cover - Because of the different mounting points for the crankshaft position sensor, the front timing covers are different between the 03 - 05 and the 06+ Mazda 6 (See Brian's comment at the bottom of the page). The Fusion uses the same timing timing cover as the later (06-08) Mazda engines. In addition the 03 - 05 timing cover has oil passages inside of it that are not present on the later 06+ Mazda and Fusion timing covers.

Cylinder Head Temperature sensor - The Ford version of the 2.3L has a cylinder head temperature sensor located on top of the engine.

What does this all mean? Basically, if you have the newer 06-08 Mazda 6 with the coil-on-plug setup then swapping to a Fusion engine is a breeze - the parts that you have to reuse from your old engine are the crankshaft pulley, crank position sensor, and oil pressure sensor. If you have an older 03 - 05 Mazda 6 then there is more work involved - you will have to reuse and swap your ignition system (spark plugs, wires, and coil pack), intake camshaft (because it has a different timing cog), crankshaft pulley, crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure sensor, front timing cover, and camshaft position sensor.

In all cases, when you are doing a 2.3L engine swap, you need to open the valve covers on both of the engines and inspect/compare the timing cogs on the intake camshafts. If the layout of the teeth on the cogs is different between the engines then you know that you will have to swap the intake cams.

You will want to reuse your Mazda wiring harness. It is also a good idea to stick with your Mazda intake manifold and the throttle body.

Frequently Asked Questions
What year of the Fusion engine can I use for the swap? - The Fusion used the 2.3 engine in years 2006 - 2009. Any of those will work. When searching for a Fusion engine you may see some places mentioning production date pre or post Dec 06. Either will work in this case. If in doubt, go for the newest engine that you can afford.

Will a Fusion engine from an automatic work with my manual car or vice versa? - It is the exact same engine with the exception that for manual cars there is a pilot bearing that is installed in the rear of the crankshaft. So if you have a manual Mazda and you got a Fusion engine from an automatic car you will need to install a pilot bearing. Don't bother transferring over your old pilot bearing - it is a $10 part and should probably be replaced anyway.

I have a 2006 or up Mazda 6. Can I swap in an older (03 - 05) Mazda 2.3 engine? - In a nutshell, no. Older Mazda 2.3 engines have timing covers which contain oil passages. These oil passages are not present in the timing covers of newer (06 and up) Mazda 2.3 engines. See nojodas67's comment for more details.

Will the Fusion 2.3 swap work on my Mazda 3 2.3 car? - It will but you will need to swap oil pans in addition to all the other items. Finally, the alternator will mount with only 3 bolts. See Joel's comments for more details.

Will the Fusion 2.3 engine work in my turbo Mazdaspeed 3 or 6? - No. The Mazdaspeed engine has a totally different cylinder head to accommodate direct injection. The Fusion engine block lacks, among other things, machining for the turbo oil feed and return lines.

And some comments specific to the 2.0/2.5 swap I copied out:

nojodas67 10-31-2015 19:02

I've done these swaps not once but 3 times on 2004-on Tribute/Escape. I've swapped in a Fusion 2.3L into a 2006 Tribute and a Focus 2.3L into a 2005 Escape. I also installed a Focus 2.0L (yes, 2.0) into a 2005 Escape, successfully. I also swapped a Fusion 2.3L into a Mazda 5 that had a 2.3L with a rod knock. I also installed a Dodge Avenger 2.4L into a 2007 Kia Rondo, which ALL salvage yards and shops said couldn't be done.

Gez 01-28-2018 02:51

Hi, I have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.0l . I have read all of these engine swaps stories with great interest and am interested in maybe doing a swap from my current engine to a 2.5l engine , (called the SP2.5 ) here in Australia. I understand that to keep the a/c compressor in the original position it is necessary to change the sump pan . I also thought that the timing covers were the same for the 2.0l , 2.3 and the 2.5 Mazda engines . Apparently this not the case and that the 2.0l timing cover is shorter.
Does anyone know this for sure ,that the 2.0 and the 2.3 are different? If so I can't swap my timing cover for the 2.5 and will have to get one for a 2.3 to enable me to swap sumps and fit a./c back in original place. Hope all of this makes sense.

Gosh, anyone know who this Gez guy is? Could he be on AFF?

Datsun1600 02-06-2018 19:08

Cool to see this thread going strong for so long.

I also completed a 2.5L swap (2012 Fusion) into a Mazda3 2.0L (2007) with an ATX. It was worth all the effort and expense. Definitely more expensive to do the swap into a 3i vs. a 3s because you need to source a timing cover and oil pan from a 2.3L engine, and an intake manifold and throttle body from a 2.5L Mazda motor. But the end result is really nice.

The 2.0L engine timing cover is too short because the head is 3/4" shorter than on the 2.3 and 2.5 engines. Since the new engine will have a taller head, you also need to get a new passenger side motor mount for a 2.3L engine, and then supply a spacer between the exhaust manifold and its lower supporting bracket. Washers will do, but I bought 3/4" machined spacers from Ace Hardware. It's crazy what they stock in some of their stores.

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone is doing swaps with later model Fusion engines. I keep seeing 2012 as the most recent date, but those engines will get harder to find with low miles. Mine had only 20k on it. Has anyone attempted or confirmed that a 2013 or 2014 2.5L Ford Fusion engine is compatible? Thanks.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 30-01-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #66
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

And for the seriously cashed up, a 2.7L StrokerKit for the Duratec!

Guffaw.

Lukeyson
Old 31-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #67
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Another Big-**** Mazda 3 Swap thread. Still 2.3 to 2.5 by the looks of it. Really Really good 'how to' on this one, a little less on the 'why'.

https://www.mazda3forums.com/61-powe...2-5l-swap.html

Lukeyson
Old 31-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #68
xr6turbomk

i hope u go on this journey and do a kool swap like this as it will be very unique.
xr6turbomk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #69
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Continuing the research. Some videos.

An NC Miata with a 2.5 swap PLUS a turbo. In this instance they used a Borg Warner EFR6758. The guy in the passenger seat appears to be part of the Fab9 company in the US that I'd seen referenced in some of my travels.

A Mazda 3 2.3 to 2.5 Swap 'How To' Video

A cool video on rebuilding a MazdaSpeed (aka MPS) engine.

On a search I found just a few videos on Fiesta ST150 with a 2.5 - but on reading the comments, just about all of them are stroked/bored 2.0 forged engines.

So if I'm honest, I've not yet found anywhere where anyone has swapped a L5-VE into a Mk6/WQ Fiesta ST150/XR4...?

Lukeyson
Old 31-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #70
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbomk View Post
i hope u go on this journey and do a kool swap like this as it will be very unique.
heya

Me too. I'm building up to it. It certainly fits the bill for something small and cheap - at least for the NA 2.5 swap - that has future potential. And with something that old and cheap, I'd even consider running some cheaper chinese gear on it to play with.

So the sticking points seem to be.

(1) I have to observe the situation with the dipstick. With some engines running external and newer engines running internal.Same too those odd early engines with oil galleries inside the front timing chaing cover. But I think since the XR4 is the iVCT engine it will be one of the 'later' models.

(2) The intake cam teeth is different depending on the motor. So there may be some need to inspect or swap the intake cam. That one annoys me and makes the swap just that little bit harder.

(3) Crank angle sensor - changed between certain years and is different or the same between ford and mazda at certain times. But I think I see where it mounts on lower left of the pulley on the 2.0, and I can see some tapped mounting points on the Ford Escape 2.3 from 2005. So I'm hopeful that if the Mazda L5-VE doesn't have a mount for it, that I might still stand a chance of finding a Ford 2.3 front cover.

(4) Nobody that's swapped a 2.0 with a 2.3 or a 2.5 seems to have ever complained about the 14mm difference in block height. So I'll put that on the back burner.

(5) Port sizes on the 2.5 head though have made me take notice. That adapter plate for the exhaust headers really is just a 'restrictor'. Using the 2.5 intake manifold and a set of headers sized for the 2.5 would be the better option. It would be worth me grabbing the manifolds from the donor and seeing what fits. I have yet to read up on whether the Fiesta has the variable length intake runners, since that's something that will be in the later intake manifolds. More research for me.

(6) The ECU - since the WQ XR4 had intake VCT, we should be OK to drive the VCT on all other models with intake VCT - SP25, Mazda 6. Fingers crossed.

(7) I'm still hung on the transmission. Sticking with the IB4+ is clearly the cheap option, but it would certainly be getting close to needing and LSD. The MTX75 swap seems to be a rare thing in Oz (bar the lucky bastards that find one at their local wreckers) but even it would still need an LSD. I'm curious as to why the Mazda MPS 6 speed with LSD has not really been mentioned anywhere else. I posed the question on Fiestastoc and hit the standard naysayer 'you're better off saving you're money and buying a Mk7 with the 6 speed in it already'.

So I'm getting reasonably close to being comfortable that this can actually be done.

Lukeyson
Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #71
xr6turbomk

Had a look at the mtx75 conversion while it was all out of the car and all i can say is one bracket to mount the box at the chassis and the bottom mound look like a big hack job, so not happy at that. Also the master cylinder were the pipe goes to the slave is different to mine and these guys just cut through the pipe instead of disconnecting it and pulling out the master cylinder as it looks like a different one from the original. I started thinking deposit refund time, unless they can sort something out.
xr6turbomk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #72
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Another plug-n-play ECU for the XR4/ST150. This one looks like an off-the-shelf option retaining the factory dash. It's not a brand I'm familiar with though.

https://www.specialist-components.co...y-ecu-kit.html

Luke
Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #73
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

A quick video of a Focus 2.0 to 2.5 Swap. Only about 4 months old. I might pitch in and ask questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn4fzEc9ZU

Lukeyson
Old 06-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #74
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

0-80mph (~130kmh) in an untuned 2.5 swapped 2005 Focus. So it must be a US MkI.5 dressed up when the rest of the world went to the MkII. Ford US had the 2.3 at that time. Looks like it clocks the 0-100kmh in a whisker over 7sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRdwBMY2iY

Lukeyson
Old 11-02-2019, 02:28 AM   #75
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again,
Have you purchased an XR4 yet?
I had a look at Gumtree. 3 cars for sale in WA.
One of them has done a quarter million kilometres, so would probably avoid that one. Seller still wants over 4K for it

The two other ones have far less mileage done, but priced higher.
I guess you could wait for an auction bargain, or search all over AUS for one that has good paint, overall looks good, and has the right price.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #76
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I've been keeping an eye out.

West coast is too far for. me East Coast NSW is where I am looking. High mileage is actually Ok for my needs. The real gem would be to find one that has recently lost an engine or has 'spun a bearing' - or at least is making a 'tic tic' noise that the seller thinks would be an easy fix. 'Slipping clutches' OK too.

I'd consider a repairable write off too. I don't frequent the Auction sites enough to know when one comes up for sale - there aren't any at the moment. And since I have a day job, the scramble to retrieve within the 24hr window if I'm not local is my challenge.

On another note, Russell has opened up this forum for anonymous read access, so this thread and others are now being indexed on Google and appearing in searches.

Lukeyson
Old 13-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #77
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Bugger. A Navy Blue unstriped Fiesta popped up in Sydney at the start of this week for $4k. I called to ask about it today (Wednesday) with a view to going to see it Sunday. But it had sold already.....

Luke
Old 14-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #78
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Bugger. A Navy Blue unstriped Fiesta popped up in Sydney at the start of this week for $4k. I called to ask about it today (Wednesday) with a view to going to see it Sunday. But it had sold already.....

Luke
Always the way when one is priced cheap .... you need to see it literally as it comes online and swoop.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #79
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Of the manuals I see G35M-R, G36M-R, A65M-R, G66M-R - PLUS the A26 variants. Some 5 speed, some 6 speed. Some with reverse syncro. Some 2 shaft, some 3 shaft. Some may not even be found in Oz since we never saw the V6 models. Too confusing.
Lukeyson
OK, I finally found something that made some sense out of this earlier post.

Mazda 3 BK - 2003-2009

F35M-R 5 Speed Manual for the 1.3 and 1.6
G66M-R 6 Speed Manual for the 2.0 (And probably the 2.3)
J65M-R 5 Speed Manuals for the 1.6 Diesel
FN4A-EL - 4 Speed Auto for the 1.6

Mazda 3 BL - 2009-2013

G35M-R 5 Speed Manual - for the low spec models. Perhaps the 1.8
G66M-R 6 Speed Manual - for higher spec 2.0/2.3/2.5
A26M-R - 6 Speed Manual for MPS and Diesel
FS5A-EL - 5 Speed Auto

Mazda 6 GG - 2002 to 2008

Early Models:
G35M-R 5 Speed - 1.8,2.0,2.3
4N4A-EL Auto

From 2005 onwards
G35M-R 5M - 1.8
G66M-R 6M - 2.0/2.3
A26M-R 6M - Diesel
JA5AX-EL 5A - 2.3 AWD
FS5A-EL 5A - 2.0/2.3
A26M-R - Diesel
A26MX-R - 2.3 MPS

Mazda 6 GH - 2007 - 2012
Pretty much the same as the MY05 update I think, with the G35M-R replaced by the G36M-R.

There's also a 3.7L V6 Mazda 6 (The Ford Cyclone engine) in the US with two transmissions for that:
AW6A-EL 6A
AW6AX-EL (Auto AWD)

So the G66M-R and an MPS A26M-R would fit to the Fiesta engine. But mounts and driveshafts would be a complete guess. The A26M-R from the diesel wouldn't work since the Diesel duratec is not the same bolt pattern.

But a V6 AWD Mazda 6? Wow. I wonder if one could be worked up from Australian pieces using the CX9 3.7 and drivetrain (mounts, ECU and loom might need to come from the US)? The bottom end on the thing is forged (See here) so with some boosting it has the potential to have way more power than an MPS....

Lukeyson
Old 22-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #80
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
There was an XR4 at Pickles Perth this week. It had some sort of front suspension damage. (Repairable Writeoff). Front wheels were going in different directions. 134k on the odometer.
I was very tempted to attend the auction, but managed to remain at work to earn a day rate, instead of buying myself another project ;-)
Cheers,
Old 23-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #81
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Going to visit one tomorrow. I had planned to rebuild the IRS in my BA XR8 this weekend, new bushes bearings and rose joints, and take my time. But this came up, so I compressed the work into Friday night and Saturday. All done now, so I'm having some nice relaxing ales to celebrate.

So far this XR4 sounds like just what we are after, but the proof will be seeing it in person.

Lukeyson
Old 24-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #82
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Why for not that work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzlQWCdAkgo
Old 25-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #83
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

only place everything after the "=" sign in the youtube URL between the [yt] tags

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #84
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

So in summary, we got a White-with-blue-strips 2007 WQ XR4, 240,000km, actually a really straight and tidy unit.

It's had mods. Including extractors and a resonated 2.5" exhaust. Sounds like an effing mosquito on steroids. Will be a great system when it comes time to track, but right now I need to shut that effing thing up. Have yet to investigate options. Has a high flow cat too - which in itself is a problem because the post-cat O2 sensor is flagging poor cat function and triggering the engine check light.

It also came with coilovers - installed on the front, in a box for the rear. I must be old and fat, because the front rides like a pig. Steers like a champion though. But for now, I received the factory struts and they'll be going back on. But those coilovers will see some future use.

It has an aftermarket Pioneer Double Din head unit, and it's running, but the previous owner didn't finish the install (it's sitting loose in the dash!) nor did he get it hooked up to the audio controls just behind the wheel.

Has some Mountune gear - an intake pod, and some good quality high tension leads. Nice. Has the factory inlet manifold though.

Front brake rotors changed to 300mm units, with a Focus ST170 brake mounting bracket that allows the ST150 calipers to fit on the bigger rotors. All rotors are slotted and with Bendix pads. Needs braided lines because the brakes are still a bit spongy and I like my brakes unspongy. Will stay like this for awhile until I can't help myself with some 4-pots I'd imagine.

But get this - with the exhaust and intake mods, it has a BPT tune and it came with an X4. Pshaw! So I am pleased with that deal. I have not yet checked to see if there are any local tuners that can work with the SCT, but I stand a good chance. And that's one of the first things I'll need to do post 2.5 install. Plus it can reset the engine check light for rego. Mind you, I already have an IDS at home, but I've had that since 2006 for the Falcon and Territory, so I suspect it won't pickup a 2007 model. If not I'll just have to get a fake-vcm-ids from eBay. The IDS is more than capable of resetting DTC's too, or I could just type the clear DTC command as text using an ELM327 since I know what they are. I haven't done that for quite a few years though, will need some cobwebs cleaned out.

So, what will happen next. This is the order I think I'll approach things, and I'll take photo's if that is of interest.:

(1) I'm getting a Clicon phone mount for it right away (Part 653731), and a universal adjustable holder (Part 511308). With a 35min commute each way every day, I need to legally be able to touch my android-auto-phone now that it has podcasts added. I'm a slut for the Google Assistant, and the pixel 2 gives me the best experience with the worldwide spy. Clicon dash mount is not cheap at $118 combined for both parts, but I have yet to find any brand that is so well customised to every car, just works perfectly each time (So far Territory, BA Falcon, Lexus IS300 and IS250) and stays working for years to come. My BA base unit must be nearing 15 years old, while the adjustable holder has worked with Samsung Galaxy S4, S6, S8, iPhone 6 and now a Pixel 2 XL.

(2) That stereo flops out at every launch. Last owner never got around to getting a 2DIN cage and anchoring that in. The supercheap Aerpro FP953000 is cheap enough for me, so I'll grab one of those pronto. A Fiesta 2DIN fascia panel is already there.

(3) There must be some ISO cables in the dash panel already since the Radio does work through all the speakers. But if it doesn't have the unit to map the wheel control resistances to the pioneer resistances, then that is next. I have some data on what the resistances are - but essentially aerpro already have a unit that can map Ford to Pioneer resistances. The Aerpro part number that does this is the CHFO2C. That is the adapter from the Ford Audio Control and speakers in the Ford Harness to ISO connectors and the Resistance mapping unit (plus split-outs for handbrake, reverse line and Vehicle Speed Sensor for head units that can use them - I can certainly use handbrake and reverse line). To get from the ISO to the head unit needs part APP8PIO8. To go from Resistance mapping unit to the Pioneer 'Wired Input Controller' port is part number APPIOPL. Some of these parts must already be in there but I am yet to inspect which. Most of the adapters in the $10 to $15 bar the resistance mapping loom which is $100 on eBay (or $150 ordered via Supercheap auto)

(4) Front Suspension. Jiggedy Jiggedy. But that's just bolts and stuff. Looking forward to tightening my fillings back up again. But excited about future track prospects.

(5) That exhaust. Man. Bzzzzt

(6) Braided hoses.

I'd love some tips on how to cleanly remove the stripes. They are the only things that are faded.

Then relax for awhile while I collect some tools - I have been holding off on an engine crane and holder for example, or getting an actual 2.5 and a 2.3 timing cover. (We used to block-and-tackle engines out years ago). I promised myself I'd finish some work constructing a lean-to on my shed before I really got into this.

Lukeyson
Old 27-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #85
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congratulations :-)

Why not try FORSCAN to read and clear DCTs?

Cheers,
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #86
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Next step in the research - dyno tuners that support SCT. I get two within 20km.

Full Noise Performance

and

Coretuned

I've provided links to both above that show support for SCT products, so they should have their own copy of Advantage III. I've been making some dark-web attempts to try and find a cracked copy of Advantage III to experiment with - with no luck so far. I just need to make one adjustment to my current custom BPT tune - to change the sensitivity of the sown stream O2 sensor for the high flow CAT this thing came with. But I have a gut feeling this BPT tune may be locked and read only ....

Lukeyson
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #87
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

FYI, I'll be splitting this conversation into a few threads. I've already started another thread Re: features available on UK fiestas not available in Oz. I'm just starting to dive in and find out what the differences are between the normal A/C Fiesta's and the Climate Control fiestas. Auto Wipers, Power mirrors etc will be part of the fun. I'll split the comment above about getting a 2DIN radio and phone mount fitted into a WQ, including getting the factory audio buttons working, into a separate thread with pics.

Of note, we have a bunch of newer stuff in India to keep in mind. The Mk6 Fiesta (At least the UK Mk6 + Mk6.5 for the 2007-2008 facelift) is actually the Gen 5/Mark 5 for most other countries - which makes it hard to search for parts, but anyway....

In India the Ford Fiesta WQ was sold alongside the WT Fiesta as the 'Fiesta Classic' and then later the 'Ford Classic' up until i think 2011 or 2012. From 2010 Ford Australia helped Ford India develop the Ford Figo - and the 1st gen Ford Figo is pretty much just a WP/WQ Fiesta with updates. But all of the interior in the Ford Figo looks pretty much identical to the WP/WQ. Of interest to me is the Climate Control system in the 1st Gen Figo. So finding a manual for the Figo is of interest to me to see how they match up. That model Figo went from 2010 to 2015 before a new model came out. At which point everything changed. But I can't then help think that to save money the Gen2 Figo may still be the same underneath, and how much of the Gen 2 Figo could be swapped into a WQ?

The only down side is I can't see any 2 door Figo's, so no go with swapping anything into an XR4. Unless i just haven't looked hard enough.

What websites do you go to to find wrecker parts in India?

Lukeyson
Old 23-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #88
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Updates.

Radio fixed with a 2-Din cage. Wiring fixed and now the reverse camera, hands free and bluetooth are working properly. I had a $20 slimline sub that I installed under the drivers seat. It's not epic base, but it's a damn site better than it was. The only problem is some dodgy wiring in the passenger door speaker that will need some re-wiring to fix. I got it working again, but within a week it stopped. I'll have to hit up a Fiesta wrecker somewhere. Curiously, workshop manual says it's the same connector as on the A/C clutch switch and the horn. Too funny.

I've got the Clicon installed too. So now I can fit my Pixel 2XL up there and Android Auto my way into spotify or google podcasts.

And the Steering Wheel Buttons are now successfully controlling the radio - volume, seek, mode etc. Works a treat. Although it took me a bit to decipher the crappy Pioneer instructions to figure out how to enable the 'Steering Wheel' option in the settings before I could get it to work.

The front struts are back to standard. It now rides much better on the work commute. I just need to shut it up some more without losing too much power - I swear the exhaust muts be straight-through. Seriously considering a Varex....

The VCMII clone has arrived. I have IDS 112.01 working - on the Fiesta and the '03 XR8. But there are no settings for enabling auto lights or auto wipers that I can see. I CAN enable power folding mirrors though. And I've found a place that sells them aftermarket at much less than genuines.

On happy1's advice I took a look at FORScan. It can use the VCMIIin J2534 mode. FORScan seems to have better support for As-Built parameters than IDS, but curiously it does not discover the GEM when doing a module discovery, even though the IDS can. The GEM is the only module left on the MSCAN bus, everything on the HSCAN (PCM, IC) and the ISO 9141 bus (RCM) can be discovered - just not the GEM (and not the ABS/ESP module curiously). So I am currently troubleshooting.

The As-Built arrangement on cars is a bitwise value that can be written into either individual modules, or into a master module if it is setup for Central Config mode, that turns features on or off. Lots of people are reporting success in enable sync, power mirror etc features in F150's , Taurus, or later model Fiestas and Mondeos. So I am still hopeful that it can do the same with the B256 Fiesta.

Luke
Old 23-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #89
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Oh, and the 1st Gen Figo in India was all poverty pack stuff - no auto anything. Not even as options. So no go on that front.

Luke
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #90
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Regarding the MTX-75 conversion, it's been nigh on impossible to find any specifications for the trans mounts, the driveshafts or the gear linkages. But I've had some luck. A recent 'used' add popped up on eBay and there's a picture of the mounts.

Luke