Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #2611
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
looking gr8 m8, do you run cables, hoses and stuff like bugs, road grime, tyre wear, oil leaks etc later ?
Looks like they're V8 Cat's...breakdown truck is the next build
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 PM   #2612
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a pub lunch with my 2 brothers today, doesn't happen often.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2020, 11:44 PM   #2613
.:4:.
Kicking back

Helped my brother out today. Then he did lunch. Wings, then 4 different types of sausages. He knows what tastes good, but it was a heavy meat lunch.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #2614
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

And Done !!

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #2615
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a noise coming from my car on deceleration and I was thinking it was some exhaust mount problem.

But then I had the oil pressure light turn on the other day while stuck in traffic but it was on and off. So I was thinking it was a tappet problem as my TX5 would do that when low on oil.

I checked the oil and it was dry so I put some in and went on the way and it seemed fine.

I put my car in for a service today and it turns out it has been way over a year since I last did it and they thought the noise could be a big end bearing which had me thinking oh ****.

No metal in the oil so that was a relief. Picked it up just in time
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #2616
roKWiz
Cabover nut

get your motor running...... head out on the highway.

Full service, new front bearings, seals and front brakes done.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #2617
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought a 98 pulsar for my daughter to learn in, from an Indian couple who just bought a Camry. Thing was filthy. FILTHY. Never been washed in the 3 years they owned it and the bonnet and guards were rattle can jobs as the charcoal paint was completely dead.
But, it’s auto with low 150k for well under 2 grand,only problem was power steering belt squeal, these guys were lovely but not car people.
Spent the day cleaning and servicing it, the interior comes up mint, and the front tyres only had 7 PSI in them, the squeal miraculously goes away when they have the correct amount of air in them.
Now the daughter has conned her spray painter granddad to respray it over Christmas. Winning. It’s been 21yrs since I last owned an n15, I think I’m more excited than she is

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #2618
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Got to have breakfast with my sister for the first time since March. She has been locked in Melbourne for most of those 8 months.

I didn't realise how much I missed her.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #2619
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Got flicked some melatonin tablets to try, either I had an extra good night out (Konfetka’s birthday, her super-glamorous daughter came too and we ate ourselves stupid at a Thai restaurant) or they do work. Haven’t slept that soundly for months.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #2620
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Got flicked some melatonin tablets to try, either I had an extra good night out (Konfetka’s birthday, her super-glamorous daughter came too and we ate ourselves stupid at a Thai restaurant) or they do work. Haven’t slept that soundly for months.
Ginger in the Thai food probably didn't hurt.

Old 15-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #2621
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Not today, but I'm still feeling good.

Went for a walk with my daughter on Friday and told her that I'm very proud of how well she has coped with the last few weeks and that she should be proud of herself too.

In the last few weeks she has dealt with:
  • a fallout with her mum. My daughter normally spends one week with me and the next week with her mum. We all got together and had a bit of a chat about what was going on and what we'd do to sort it out. We all agreed that a bit of a break would help, so my daughter spent two weeks with me
  • a mystery illness which sees her suffering stomach pain, nausea any time she eats, dizziness and fatigue. One of the tests revealed that she ether has had, or still has, Ross River Virus, which could explain the fatigue. I've had her up to A&E and she;s seen various doctors, but with little result so far. We've seen the paediatrician who has given us some hope, but there's little we an do to manage the pain until we find the cause
  • her first lot of exams. She's in Year 9 but to prepare them for exams next year, they do exams this year: maths and english. She studied like crazy, even through her illness and, whilst she doesn't think she did as well as she could, but still thinks she did ok
  • getting her first job (at a fast food restaurant, but not the golden arches) and her first two shifts were last week. Of course, she feels like she was thrown in the deep end, but she survived and enjoyed it
  • her guinea pig mum giving birth to 5 babies, and having to hand rear the runt which was only about half the size of her siblings. This meant getting up every three to four hours during the night to hand feed. Unfortunately, the little one died a few days later.
  • making an effort to make up with her mum. She has put the effort in to reconciling her relationship with her mum, and, thankfully, their relationship appears to be on the mend.

So, she's had a lot thrown at her over the last couple of weeks, and she's done a brilliant job of coping through that time. As I opened with, she has a Dad that is very proud of her efforts. But even more importantly, she should be proud of herself.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #2622
Kicking back

This morning i chainsawed more of my brothers backyard, noctious weeds that had been let go for too many years, and for whatever reason he is not wanting to use a chainsaw. But yesterday. My brother was keen on buying a smoker to smoke meat. He knows nothing, i know nothing. So we bought the cheapest charcoal smoker, reason being if it didnt work, eh, cheap. Bought a pork belly from aldi, again, if things didnt work, it can go on a frypan. But once the coals got going, the hickory chips went in for flavour. So the seasoned pork belly was going good, so in went brazillian snags and brats, then bacon, then wings, then a leg of lamb. The pork was the standout followed by the lamb. When 2 idiots go in with no idea, then get results. And good results, cant not be pleased with that.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #2623
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
This morning i chainsawed more of my brothers backyard, noctious weeds that had been let go for too many years, and for whatever reason he is not wanting to use a chainsaw. But yesterday. My brother was keen on buying a smoker to smoke meat. He knows nothing, i know nothing. So we bought the cheapest charcoal smoker, reason being if it didnt work, eh, cheap. Bought a pork belly from aldi, again, if things didnt work, it can go on a frypan. But once the coals got going, the hickory chips went in for flavour. So the seasoned pork belly was going good, so in went brazillian snags and brats, then bacon, then wings, then a leg of lamb. The pork was the standout followed by the lamb. When 2 idiots go in with no idea, then get results. And good results, cant not be pleased with that.
Remind me of that ad. Pulled pork, pulled pork........5 hours.

Old 15-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #2624
Kicking back

Yeah, it takes time, but it wasnt stuffed up on the first attempt. 2nd effort, well, that may or not be a success
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #2625
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Found this great clip I never knew existed on youtube featuring my old boss George Proudman Master Stonemason long since gone.
Must have been filmed just after I left as it shows Sydney Tech, my old leading hands Alfie, Gary and Diana the first Stonemasoness in Australia who started at the same time.
Thought I would share some insight into restoration Banker work in the 80's

Old 17-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #2626
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Feels good to know it won’t be 39° again today.

Speaking of trades, NSW is waiving the fee on one year renewals of trade licences until late next April due to Coronavirus. I had a choice of $0x1, $330x3 or $746x5 when renewing mine recently. Interestingly no waiving of the late fees on multi-year licences.
Old 17-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #2627
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a fee on trade licences?
My electricians licence lasts forever.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #2628
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

In NSW, I think you’d find it’s annualised.
Old 17-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #2629
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
In NSW, I think you’d find it’s annualised.
Everything is annualised in corrupt NSW.
Custom number plate charges are a good example.
Vehicle third party insurance.
$ydney City libraries. The only library I know of which charged people to join then charges an annual fee.

Even the National Library in Canberra is free.

Old 17-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #2630
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kind of weird but really good .. About a year ago my right hand rear power window refused to work . Had done that a little bit before but had never stopped completely . I did do all the obvious like cleaning contacts, swapping switches and even put on a new door switch but did nothing ..couldn't even hear it trying .. Gave up on it although since then I've occasionally tried it without luck .

Today without thinking I accidentally hit that switch on the drivers door panel instead of the left one and it went down . Nervously I then tried to put it up and it operated perfectly . I used it another few times and functioned as it should both on the door switch and the main panel . Suddenly I have all four windows working ...At the minute at least ...Cool...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #2631
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Kind of weird but really good .. About a year ago my right hand rear power window refused to work . Had done that a little bit before but had never stopped completely . I did do all the obvious like cleaning contacts, swapping switches and even put on a new door switch but did nothing ..couldn't even hear it trying .. Gave up on it although since then I've occasionally tried it without luck .

Today without thinking I accidentally hit that switch on the drivers door panel instead of the left one and it went down . Nervously I then tried to put it up and it operated perfectly . I used it another few times and functioned as it should both on the door switch and the main panel . Suddenly I have all four windows working ...At the minute at least ...Cool...
sell the car quick while everythings working.
Old 17-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #2632
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Further to my earlier post, spoke with my daughter today to see how her day went. She told me that she got the results for both of her exams: an A in the English exam and an A+ for her maths exam.

Not bad considering she felt like she didn't do that well, especially n the maths exam.

Hate to see how she'd do if she felt like she went well

Two very proud parents.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 17-11-2020 at 10:28 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #2633
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
sell the car quick while everythings working.
Nah .....No fun without frustration ..Besides it'd be like selling one of your kids after this long ...Then again.......
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #2634
Kicking back

My mum called me about the synopsis of her trip.
She went to the country town her parents met and all the rest. She was happy to see the places she went as a kid to visit her grandparents etc. She had a great time. Her parents are kicking it old school, they're both mid 90s. Covid has restricted old folk, thats understandable. But up untill the outbreak, my 94 year old grandpa held a drivers licence. Grandpa, he is a living legend. Voice of reason, just an inspirational dinosaur.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #2635
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For most of the year I have been working on a project which is by far the most code I have wrote. I've getting back into things on the backburner and there was a project one of our I guess what you would call a cadet started.

This guy was pretty good and I would have liked to have keep him and he did it all while I was on leave but found some issues with it.

So I've been working on the issues and I've had a rough time with it because I'm pretty worn out. I know what I had to do but was struggling to do it practically in code. Even got the old paper and pen out!

I worked from home today to get out of the noise in the office and finally got there. Sweet baby jesus it felt good!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #2636
Kicking back

Since my car split a rad hose, then replacing that only to find the thermostat stuck shut. So a test drive got the guage just over ½ running around the block. Previously, before the rad hose went, it was stuck open. This is Australia, dont need no stinking thermostat.
But today was the first real hot day that ive needed to drive any form of distance. 40° outside. In traffic. A/c on, about a ⅓ on the guage. A/c off, just under ½. So 45 minutes in traffic to my meeting, then an hour and a half home. The trip home it had cooled off to 34 outside, then a bit of rain. So it cooled down further. I will chuck a thermostat in it later on. Its not hurt. I reckon shes certified apples.
The coolant levels (h2o only so far) havent dropped. Still clear as water. Just happy i havent seemed to hurt anything.
I also had to drop off some paperwork to my mum today. We met in the middle. So i parked on the street. Amongst a stack of suv's and sub class cars manufactures sell you. Kinda like the b200 my mum has.
And i got a compliment. Apparently my ghia looks better then the cars around it. My mum likes riding in my car once she is in. Its a fat guy car. She likes the look but not getting in it because its a bit low. She hasnt complained yet, made reference, but when she is in the thing i take it easy because it does have an exhaust and can be loud if i want it to be. But that involves stepping on it. And its not loud.
Old 21-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #2637
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finding Ernie he was missing for 30 hours, my boy and his partner moved into there new house just up from ours a couple of days ago. Ernie then decided to move out and did a runner into 100 acres of thick scrub and bush, we searched high and low but most parts were to thick to get into, last night they went out with spotlights late and found him trapped/tangled in vines in a gully right at the back. Finding him now makes there move complete, loosing him had taken the gloss off moving to there new house.

Last edited by five 7; 21-11-2020 at 10:22 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #2638
roKWiz
Cabover nut

What a little bugger. Glad you found him.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #2639
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
What a little bugger. Glad you found him.
Hey thanks, there were some long faces for a bit as he's part of the family, where he was theres a lot of deep holes and water, Frenchie's can't swim, the grass's are 4 or 5 feet tall as well plus scrub and bush, he's one foot if that so trying to find him was a nightmare, my boy heard him then shined spotty and his eye's lit up. lots of happy faces now and maybe a few ales to complete house warming...
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #2640
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Hey thanks, there were some long faces for a bit as he's part of the family, where he was theres a lot of deep holes and water, Frenchie's can't swim, the grass's are 4 or 5 feet tall as well plus scrub and bush, he's one foot if that so trying to find him was a nightmare, my boy heard him then shined spotty and his eye's lit up. lots of happy faces now and maybe a few ales to complete house warming...
Had a similar experience years back with our Sheppard, we were looking over a place to rent in the bush and we stupidly slacken off his lead.
Next thing you know he spots a Kangaroo and gave chase well into the scrub, took us 3 hours to find him, got himself disorientated out there.
We found him exhausted sitting in a tiny clearing miles from the place, so exhausted he didn't hone in on our calling.

So happy we found him, never did it again.

3 users like this post: