Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default oh! oh! it's growing on me

I just had one of the most pleasurable drives since coming across to the darkside.....almost total silence and extremely good response

I have found and fixed 85% of my clunks and rattles (one or two still elude me..but I'm on their trail)...thus making driving a very good experience once again

after owning many vehicles in my life and working on all of them I find (surprisingly) the Ford is up there with the best of them

there is negativity about Ford on this site in abundance.....some warranted.....an awful lot that is not....

I would merely like to point out in this moment of time that I for one am very BLOODY happy with my Ford

yes it's been a journey that at times was far from pleasant and times when I was more than ready to sell the thing and times when I absolutely hated it

you doomsayers can Kiss my Butt.......go buy a Kia!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: oh! oh! it's growing on me

Sad fact of life. Doesn't matter what brand of car you own, there will always be problems associated with them.

Only persistance in fixing the inherant problems is what makes them pleasurable to drive in the long run.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Sad fact of life. Doesn't matter what brand of car you own, there will always be problems associated with them.

Only persistance in fixing the inherant problems is what makes them pleasurable to drive in the long run.
well posted

it is the joy that you have when you chase it down ind fix it what i like

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm pretty happy with my EL Fairmont Ghia, its quite easy to work on and its my project car.

I've never had any serious issues with my two other Fords, 2009 WS Fiesta and a 2010 LV TDCI Focus besides the Focus battery dying and rattles/clunks, mechanically it runs fine.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I was a Holden man only untill my BA wagon experience

I now consider myself a Ford and Holden man.

Echo svo's post!
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gotta agree....although the journey to this point has not been pleasant nor easy

the sour taste was first left in my mouth by the dealership refusing to honour their obligations.....then only half doing the job after being forced to do so and continually lying

but having gained knowledge from within these walls and using a little common sense and simply coming to terms that I have to fix it myself or continue stomping the ground back and forth to consumer affairs

I can now continue to construct my "tug" which will take my wife and myself into yet more "adventures".......

next comes the electric brakes!.....

after recent criticism of the Ford badge I just thought I would put my thoughts forward!.....just a "happy with my Ford thread" if you like!

this comes from a dyed in the wool Holden lover but Commodore hater!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 21-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all i can say is my dear old s2 XR6 is with out a doubt the most reliable car i`ve ever owned or driven and the most stress free daily driver i`ve ever owned in 33 years of driving, if i had cash i`d be buying an FG tomorrow .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I've fallen in love with my car all over again after getting it back from the panel shop yesterday, (had a minor altercation in the yard at work, cracked the spoiler leg and creased the boot), also got the front and rear bars resprayed, as they've been marked since I got the car.

The only thing I've changed on it so far - due to failure, is a brake light bulb.

I've even had a "psychic" tell me that my car is very happy with me.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

it is the joy that you have when you chase it down ind fix it what i like

I sometimes wonder, when the fingers, hands and arms are ripped to pieces

Seriously, yes I find it very satisfying fixing problems with cars. Not just my own, but other peoples too....The smile on faces is enough to make it all worth while.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

After sorting out the minor issues I had with mine my car is now perfect. Not one single problem with it....

If you look after it she will look after you.

Encase you want to know the minor issues where;

Burnt rubber smell = Plastic bag burnt on CAT Confirmed by Ford.
Coolant to low = Topped up by Ford
Diff whine = Turned out to be the tires. Confirmed by Ford.
Clunky Box = Learnt to live with it. Not that bad to be honest.
Axle Tamp = Stopped spinning the rear tires in the wet...

Last edited by kaniSS; 22-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Werd.
nou

Eh they still drive like taxis compared to german cars, fact of life, 4 spd in the Terry is pretty terrible, at 60KM/H there is nothing, too fast for first, second is bogging. Got beaten by a 2000ish~ Corolla up a hill to the lane merge, surprised me.

Our 2006 Terry Ghia with 80,000KM is much clunkier and rattlier than the 2010 Tiguan with 50,000KM.
4 years and 30,000KM difference isn't *that* much of an unfair comparison IMO. The Tiguan just feels so refined compared to the Territory, I haven't driven an FG Falcon or a new territory though, which would probably be a better comparison.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd feel wrong in anything but a ford

i know, i've tried.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

+1 to above!

Since I bought my BFII Falcon from auction (circa Dec 2008), I've had a constant battle with brake squeal. The drivers side rear brake is the culprit; I've changed everything on that corner bar the half shaft and brake lines!

But after my latest change (rear hub) I think I'm finally got the squeal under control. It's an absolute pleasure to drive and pull up at the lights without the dreaded "sssqqqqqquuuuuuueeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll lllll" following me. Hopefully it will stay this way in the future!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
Eh they still drive like taxis compared to german cars, fact of life, 4 spd in the Terry is pretty terrible, at 60KM/H there is nothing, too fast for first, second is bogging. Got beaten by a 2000ish~ Corolla up a hill to the lane merge, surprised me.

Our 2006 Terry Ghia with 80,000KM is much clunkier and rattlier than the 2010 Tiguan with 50,000KM.
4 years and 30,000KM difference isn't *that* much of an unfair comparison IMO. The Tiguan just feels so refined compared to the Territory, I haven't driven an FG Falcon or a new territory though, which would probably be a better comparison.
yet again a negative slant on a positive thread... congrats buddy....

btw i bet your kombi drives like a pile of crap compared to a territory it isnt *that* much of an unfair comparison......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*double banger*
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That's the spirit!! Great to see a positive thread for a change, about someone who is happy with their Ford.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers
Col
Old 22-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
sbcb
BA Xr8

Over the years I've had Holden, Toyota, Mazda, BMW and since I got my first Falcon I've always had Falcons. Fantastic value for money AND more than any other car I've owned one word sums up my Falcon experience - Fun.

As far as reliability goes the Holden and Toyota brands have personally given me the most serious problems.

So the message for all car owners for all brands would be not surprisingly - you need to look after it. Unfortunately buying used cars means you inherit someone else's neglect.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.

Last edited by sbcb; 22-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

going for a "drive" this arvo........just up through a few gorges and into Wilpena pound via Quorn (steam train should be running)......

we are gonna take the grandkids "out" (get them out of mums hair for a little while)

doesn't matter what the knockers say "I'm happy with mine"!

glad to see quite few others are happy with theirs as well!

Old 22-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Turboconvert

ive always been happy with the three falcons that i have owned and driven. each one has been an improvement on the previous. I wanted to go for a drive this weekend in the xr8 ute with the new rims, but ive been told im not allowed to drive for a week because i crushed a finger on friday.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Ive owned a few Falcons but my biggest problem was, like most things, when you begin to heavily moddify, things go snap. But I brought that on myself with modifications.
Over all the mighty Ford to me is more then a Brand. For me, its a culture.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

btw i bet your kombi drives like a pile of crap compared to a territory it isnt *that* much of an unfair comparison......
But that's different!

I do like the Territory more than the Tiguan, which I meant to include in my post. I think Ford just need to nail the refinement thing. though the kombi has less rattles than the Terry :P
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm happy with both my AUs. even thou i am thinking of selling my sedan after 6 years of faithfull service. thinking of replacing it with another ford either a falcon on territory. i dont really like suvs but i think the territory is an exception too that!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
going for a "drive" this arvo........just up through a few gorges and into Wilpena pound via Quorn (steam train should be running)......

we are gonna take the grandkids "out" (get them out of mums hair for a little while)

doesn't matter what the knockers say "I'm happy with mine"!

glad to see quite few others are happy with theirs as well!
that will be a great "drive"
some nice winding bits, particularly through the passes, and some decent straights, if go Quorn - Hawker...15 km dead straight across Willocra plains.

I like your idea of a 'drive'.. what some others spend weeks planning and make it a holiday thing

two thumbs up from me, and extra plus for the ford side of it all.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A friend oof mine is a manager with a company, always been a Holden / Commodore man eventhough
his company ride was a Territory Ghia (not impressed with quality on the SY)

Well, old mate happened to be driving a rental XR6 the other day, winds down the window and says,
"What the heck has this thing got in it, it flaming goes...."
I reply, "mate, that the torque from the 4.0 litre, something you don't get in the commodore.."

"Mmmmm" nods his head in agreement.....

Another convert....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
stang65
FPRJET

As far as I am concerned I got the best 2 cars under $50,000 at the time.
My BA xr6 Turbo that in total ownership has only cost me a battery and tyre and is going in tomorrow to get new Dba 4000 fitted.
The second is the wifes Terry 2005 had the balljoints done under warranty and have only had to buy new tyres not bad for both cars that have given us over 7 years of touble free motoring.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

When it comes to Falcons up to the AUIII, they fit me like a glove. Some complain about their many quirks but I wouldn't have them any other way.
As for the newer Falcons, yeah, they don't have the soul of the older cars, but they're still great cars to drive (especially compared to their Aussie/Japanese/Korean competition), with one of the best engines this side of a BMW. I can only think of one major thing wrong with the Falcon sedan, and I can't think of anything major that's wrong with the Falcon ute.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

you doomsayers can Kiss my Butt.......go buy a Kia!
I did... and I've never looked back (bujying a Kia, not kissing your butt).

But in all honesty, its a great feeling finally finding confidence and pleasure in your ride.

Hats off to you and I hope you have no major dramas.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

All vehicles have there own inherent problems. I still love to drive my falcon though. This thread is a good change of pace ;)
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #29
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

My family and I have owned many Fords over the years (majority Falcons/Fairmonts) and have never had any issues with them. Both our EB's were the tortured child-haulers and they were still presentable, comfortable and reliable cars until the day we said goodbye. Our current AU has been nothing but reliable and lovely to drive, and the Territory is oh so comfy and a great tow car. Plus my Grandma's 1990 Laser hasn't faulted since the day she bought it brand new. There have been many Ford's in between these cars that I haven't mentioned, none of which I could fault.
So maybe we're just lucky, but all our Fords have been great cars....

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.

4 years and 30,000KM difference isn't *that* much of an unfair comparison IMO. The Tiguan just feels so refined compared to the Territory
Well i gotta say IF a territory gets beaten up hills by a corolla, i hope thats not a selling point for territory.......
We are looking at territories at the moment, and seriously if they are that gutless i wont bother
I live in a hilly area so i need something that doesnt take all day to get up hills

As for whats better than what , theres good and lemons in every make, model
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post