Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #91
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

I forgot what brand of tyre I read this: "Engineered in Germany, Made in China"
After the last year of lockdowns etc, I wondered if the German engineers who developed this tyre were stuck in China for an extended period and worked remotely would it be "Engineered by Germans, Working In China, Made in China"?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #92
chinamonty

i have a set of Chinese tyres on my Fairmont wagon. called Hilo and they are the best wet/dry tyres I have had on the car. Their wet weather performance is terrific. the **** doesn't hang out under power anymore.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #93
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Similar things could be said about Roll-Royce and Bentley now that they are both owned by German companies. people still view them as English cars.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
The next Q&A is interesting, one that I didn't know i.e. Michelin being churned out of China...

So as I said, if they really wanted to deceive and hide the china owned factor, they would have just incorporated a company in europe, set chinese shareholdings through multi layer companies, and just have the vehicles coming out of China. How many people are going to stop buying Michelin just because its being churned out of China?
Manufacturers make plants in countries that manufacturer large volumes of cars. Those Michelin plants will be supplying directly to Chinese auto plants. Michelin has plants all over the world. Highly unlikely you could buy chinese made Michelins here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
After the last year of lockdowns etc, I wondered if the German engineers who developed this tyre were stuck in China for an extended period and worked remotely would it be "Engineered by Germans, Working In China, Made in China"?
Sounds like what Goodyear put on their tyres. They all have similar on the sidewall, engineered in Europe, made in china, mexico, thailand etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
Similar things could be said about Roll-Royce and Bentley now that they are both owned by German companies. people still view them as English cars.
But they still make cars in the UK, and are headquartered there. They aren't german built and headquartered. So they are still largely british companies.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #96
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Also I wont touch any food made in NZ as it is also all Chinese. They just rebag it and say its from NZ. NZ dont have strict rules for export. Watch out for that.
where did you read this? sounds a bit off the mark.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #97
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...tering/6143180
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #98
hayseed

Quote:
https://www.interest.co.nz/rural-new...ese-vegetables

https://ausveg.com.au/media-releases...-to-australia/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #99
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's okay, nearly all of it goes to Oz and hardly any is sold here
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #100
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
The factory fit Dunlop SP Sportmaxx on Falcon mostly read the "Engineered in Germany, Made in China".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #101
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But they still make cars in the UK, and are headquartered there. They aren't german built and headquartered. So they are still largely british companies.
yeah but not really - the Betayga manufactured at the Volkswagon Bratislava Factory. OK how about X series BMWs that are made in America?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #102
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah but not really - the Betayga manufactured at the Volkswagon Bratislava Factory.
Final assembly takes place in Crewe alongside other Bentleys.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #103
chinamonty

yes I am aware of that.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #104
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
The next Q&A is interesting, one that I didn't know i.e. Michelin being churned out of China...
I can't speak for everyone else, but I've got no problem with buying goods from China ... so long as they're manufactured by a reputable, international (non-Chinese) brand, such as Michelin, because I trust the quality of the products that Michelin puts its trade marks on. The brand (trade mark) is the designation of quality more so than the country of origin, in my opinion.

Likewise, I'd still buy from Volvo because although a Chinese company is the majority shareholder, the company is still run in Sweden and by and large, most of its range is still manufactured in Sweden for the Australian market. In contrast, I doubt MG has any more ties left with the original British company.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2021, 12:07 AM   #105
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well have you seen Chinese designs and english language copy/manuals or ads? Chinese MG have their design and global sales staff in England for obvious reasons, that's about it.

I've gone off many things made in China myself. ZF was the big one (ford fans know them for the 6spd, but many OE parts on my old BMWs were ZF/lemforder), and it's all moved to China. Got a nice bent up strut mount a while back from Chinese lemforder.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #106
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I can't speak for everyone else, but I've got no problem with buying goods from China ... so long as they're manufactured by a reputable, international (non-Chinese) brand, such as Michelin, because I trust the quality of the products that Michelin puts its trade marks on. The brand (trade mark) is the designation of quality more so than the country of origin, in my opinion.

Likewise, I'd still buy from Volvo because although a Chinese company is the majority shareholder, the company is still run in Sweden and by and large, most of its range is still manufactured in Sweden for the Australian market. In contrast, I doubt MG has any more ties left with the original British company.
having spent over three years doing product inspections of goods in Chinese factories I would say it is like anywhere else. You have have your trusted suppliers and that only gets built up by time. Volvo weren't at all popular when I was a kid but that changed over time. Just because a brand is Chinese has nothing to do with it. I found Chinese companies that were absolutely brilliantly run - particualarly those making range hoods. The tyre I have on my car at the moment come from a Chinese companies and i have never had tyres that have more even performance between wet weather and dry weather and on a wagon you notice it!
Old 13-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #107
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Having dealt with Chinese companies from a work perspective, I find that they're actually very willing to help and support their products compared to American companies, they can be a bit staunch on minimum order quantities but if you start talking about higher unit costs then that can change

The American companies seem to have an elitism construct and they'll just flat out bull**** to you about lead times to get you off their case, they won't lift a finger to move things along, help out with lead times at all and they're horrible at supporting their product as well.

Smaller family owned American companies can be very helpful though but from my experience they're mostly pricks to deal with and they're happy to take your money but they won't help if you need it.

As far as best country to deal with I find Taiwan is the best, Spain being the absolute worst followed closely by American companies.

At least the other countries have language barrier as an excuse, not sure what the problem with the US is though.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-02-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #108
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
having spent over three years doing product inspections of goods in Chinese factories I would say it is like anywhere else. You have have your trusted suppliers and that only gets built up by time. Volvo weren't at all popular when I was a kid but that changed over time. Just because a brand is Chinese has nothing to do with it. I found Chinese companies that were absolutely brilliantly run - particualarly those making range hoods. The tyre I have on my car at the moment come from a Chinese companies and i have never had tyres that have more even performance between wet weather and dry weather and on a wagon you notice it!
Stop buying cheap tyres then.
Old 13-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #109
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Stop buying cheap tyres then.
these ones were much cheaper than any ones I had previously used. these ones cost $70 each fitted and balanced. i was not after cheap tyres but i asked the guy for his recommendation for a compromise between wet and dry performance. He got ir right and they are pretty good in the dry anyway not that i drive the wagon overly enthusiastically.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #110
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

February 2021 sales data shows MG was 8th on the list of total sales by brand. Wow!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #111
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
February 2021 sales data shows MG was 8th on the list of total sales by brand. Wow!
https://www.caradvice.com.au/930453/...new-car-sales/
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #112
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone want to predict when MG will overtake Ford in Australia for car sales in a month?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #113
chinamonty

I was in China over ten years ago and i travelled in a Chinese built Hyundai for over an hour at 160kph and the car handled it very well. The Chinese have great engineering as long as you are prepared to pay for it and that is the problem. American buyers want the cheapest price at the lowest acceptable quality level and that has infiltrated some parts of Chinese industry. I did QC checks of restaurant products (anything from cutlery to fridges to conveyor toasters) and seldom failed anything as we paid for the quality level we wanted and they were pleased to provide it. I expect that with the number of expats working in MG and some of the other companies they are improving the quality or at the very least making it consistent quality.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #114
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Anyone want to predict when MG will overtake Ford in Australia for car sales in a month?
This is what happens when manufacturers decide to give up entire market segments in an attempt to wrap up cheap old **** as a 'premium' product.

Ford is now a premium brand, I've never heard anything so laughable in my life - $32K for the Puma which is a WT Fiesta on stilts with the same 92KW/170NM 1L Ecoboost engine it had 10 years ago.

I'm calling by September MG will displace Ford in sales.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 02:27 AM   #115
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford still have some fans (ranger keeping them up). Wake me up when the inevitable MG beating mits, nissan, kia and whatever happens.

Though eventually the sales chart will read: toyota, mazda, hyundai, MG, ford...

But the mits, nissan, kia (E: an ex GM korea/holden) customers will flock to China before the ford/ranger buyers do.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #116
chinamonty

The thing is that most people don't know where their vehicle is made. For instance there are plenty of BMW X5 drivers who think their car was made in Germany when it was actually made in the US.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #117
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thing is that most people don't know where their vehicle is made. For instance there are plenty of BMW X5 drivers who think their car was made in Germany when it was actually made in the US.
Too true. But I don't think they really care, so long as their expectations are met. Most won't go digging because it's not important to them.

The EVs that European governments are ordering will all be coming from Chinese factories.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #118
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
This is what happens when manufacturers decide to give up entire market segments in an attempt to wrap up cheap old **** as a 'premium' product.
You are so right. There is only a 1700unit difference between Ford / MG.
All of the established car companies are warm with the thoughts being premium and sticking their prices up and counting the increased margin they make on each car, whilst abandoning their traditional customers.

They can not even see the tsunami that is coming to kick them in the backside and trample over the top of them on the way through.

If they were standing on the beach looking at the horizon there would be a wave of Chinese Electric Vehicles coming. MG is only the ripple in the front.
They are too busy building sandcastles to even look up.

I am predicting that by the end of this decade we will have new car makers in the top 15 that we have yet herd of and that some of the established name brands will be gone / extinct.

Cars are not just going Electric they are transitioning to the Computer / Consumer Electronic Industry. I don't think they yet fully understand the implications of the Tech Giants being able to produce vehicles in the very near future, and the cost savings that ensue once volumes ramp up in that industry.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #119
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You are so right. There is only a 1700unit difference between Ford / MG.
All of the established car companies are warm with the thoughts being premium and sticking their prices up and counting the increased margin they make on each car, whilst abandoning their traditional customers.

They can not even see the tsunami that is coming to kick them in the backside and trample over the top of them on the way through.

If they were standing on the beach looking at the horizon there would be a wave of Chinese Electric Vehicles coming. MG is only the ripple in the front.

I am predicting that by the end of this decade we will have new car makers in the top 15 that we have yet herd of and that some of the established name brands will be gone / extinct.

Cars are not just going Electric they are transitioning to the Computer / Consumer Electronic Industry. I don't think they yet fully understand the implications of the Tech Giants being able to produce vehicles in the very near future, and the cost savings that ensue once volumes ramp up in that industry.
An MG3 with the MG ZST engine and I'm in like Flynn.

Either that or I'm thinking about buying an apartment close to work, buying a Suzuki Address 110 and my days of owning a car are over

*may or may not be Franco

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-03-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #120
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've stopped buying chinese stuff for years, but in the end it's only done me harm. Everyone else is a hypocrite anyway.
When the cheap chinese EVs come I'll be first in line and every other manufacturer will go bust because others will beat me in the queue somehow anyway.