Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #1831
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Absolutely need to get everyone back into the office 9-5 in the CBD. The surf has been ridiculously crowded. I'm with the business owners and CBD cafe owners on this one.

On topic: saw under $2 in town on Saturday morning.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #1832
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Absolutely need to get everyone back into the office 9-5 in the CBD. The surf has been ridiculously crowded. I'm with the business owners and CBD cafe owners on this one.

On topic: saw under $2 in town on Saturday morning.
I still haven't paid over $2 yet. $1.99 was the worst I have had while filling up.

Based on the prices I have seen lately, I think my luck will run out soon.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #1833
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big social problems coming if things don't change quickly. This is really sad to see. Have been getting "spammed" almost every other day from Food Bank since making contributions during the pandemic.

Some cars are arriving 3 hours before the stations open. You'd think the charitable feed they recieved will be offset by the fuel usage whilst waiting.

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status...d4NrZT_Kw&s=19

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #1834
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Big social problems coming if things don't change quickly. This is really sad to see. Have been getting "spammed" almost every other day from Food Bank since making contributions during the pandemic.

Some cars are arriving 3 hours before the stations open. You'd think the charitable feed they recieved will be offset by the fuel usage whilst waiting.

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status...d4NrZT_Kw&s=19
What do you mean 'coming'? There's been big social problems around Melbourne for the past decade, while it continually hides under 'most liveable city' bull**** title, there's been a HUGE increase in the amount of homeless people calling the CBD home in that time, massive amounts of violent crime in the less affluent outer suburbs that no one seemed to notice until it happened in Brighton.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #1835
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What do you mean 'coming'? There's been big social problems around Melbourne for the past decade, while it continually hides under 'most liveable city' bull**** title, there's been a HUGE increase in the amount of homeless people calling the CBD home in that time, massive amounts of violent crime in the less affluent outer suburbs that no one seemed to notice until it happened in Brighton.
Yep, Melbourne seems to be changing for the worst. we used to visit a bit for the good food but lately not much of a hurry to go there anytime soon.
Sort of lost interest in working in cities.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #1836
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guys,
The Petrol Crisis is hurting everybody. It cost me $100. dollars to fill up my Mondeo at $2 09 cents a litre for 91.

They say its going to get worse, soon nobody will be able to afford to use there car.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #1837
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I really don't get the obsession with the petrol price 'crisis'. If you do 15000km/yr @ 13L/100km and the price of fuel goes up by $1/L you will be paying an extra $2000/yr. Are you really going to put your life on hold over an extra $2000? Yeah it sucks paying more and no one wants to pay more than necessary but really...
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #1838
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filled up my rental car in Auckland Nz last Thursday.
Was a 2008 Mazda 2 litre. Tank was five eights full.
Cost $77nz.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #1839
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I really don't get the obsession with the petrol price 'crisis'. If you do 15000km/yr @ 13L/100km and the price of fuel goes up by $1/L you will be paying an extra $2000/yr. Are you really going to put your life on hold over an extra $2000? Yeah it sucks paying more and no one wants to pay more than necessary but really...
I grew up in a mostly single income family where as a child my old man had to choose between paying the bills, feeding us or putting fuel in his car to get to work, you could have any two but not all three, Mum even made all my clothes when I was little, it was at the point where my mum was working full time but after paying childcare costs for me and my sister they'd only be up $50/week, plus having to leave work early to grab us was a problem for her employer so it wasn't worth her working.

To save as much as he could on fuel and later childcare costs he'd drop me and my sister off to my grandparents place, park his car there and fare evade into work on public transport.

Apparently according to a certain politician who was on multiple six figures, poor people don't drive cars

These days, scenario is much different but there's going to be a lot more in the same scenario my family were in 25 years ago where every little bit counts, $2000 sounds like nothing to most of us but it really hurts to the lower echelon of our society, it also effects the price of the crap you buy in the shops.

Sure there's more government support these days for those down on the bottom of the ladder but it's still not easy.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-07-2022 at 08:28 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #1840
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I presume prices in Broken Hill shops haven’t gone up like in most other towns and cities.That will be because freight companies that serve the area aren’t affected by fuel price increases
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #1841
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

It really depends on your income as there is lots of people out there who don't earn high wages like others.
For me price of fuel was a big concern to me years ago, being a single income family for 30 years; these days it does not hurt anymore since I'm debt free.
Cheers

PS: I use diesel and that is lot dearer than petrol, think this adding to cost of living big time with the transport companies.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:37 PM   #1842
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I grew up in a mostly single income family where as a child my old man had to choose between paying the bills, feeding us or putting fuel in his car to get to work, you could have any two but not all three, Mum even made all my clothes when I was little, it was at the point where my mum was working full time but after paying childcare costs for me and my sister they'd only be up $50/week, plus having to leave work early to grab us was a problem for her employer so it wasn't worth her working.

To save as much as he could on fuel and later childcare costs he'd drop me and my sister off to my grandparents place, park his car there and fare evade into work on public transport.

Apparently according to a certain politician who was on multiple six figures, poor people don't drive cars

These days, scenario is much different but there's going to be a lot more in the same scenario my family were in 25 years ago where every little bit counts, $2000 sounds like nothing to most of us but it really hurts to the lower echelon of our society, it also effects the price of the crap you buy in the shops.

Sure there's more government support these days for those down on the bottom of the ladder but it's still not easy.
Well said, I came from a single parent background bought up in a housing commission environment, you certainly knew how limited you were with low income and living with hand me downs.
I still pity these people especially with the pensioners these days.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2022, 08:42 PM   #1843
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes costs of living are rising rapidly by the week/month.

Interest rates going up again tmrw.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #1844
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And 22 cents per litre excise relief ends in September….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #1845
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So I presume prices in Broken Hill shops haven’t gone up like in most other towns and cities.That will be because freight companies that serve the area aren’t affected by fuel price increases
Of course they have but that was not my point. I was making the point that I am not going to lose my freedom of travel over a couple of grand. There are plenty of other things most of us can cut back if needed. If you are happy to sit at home to save a couple of grand then that's your choice.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:36 PM   #1846
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And 22 cents per litre excise relief ends in September….
Wonder what the odds are of it being extended. ScoMo might be a lot of things but he is a very, very good politician. This is a nice little grenade he’s left behind.

If petrol is still above $2 a litre, and $2.30 in some places, I’m not sure Albo and Jimbo will want to be the ones to jack it up even further overnight.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #1847
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Wonder what the odds are of it being extended. ScoMo might be a lot of things but he is a very, very good politician. This is a nice little grenade he’s left behind.

If petrol is still above $2 a litre, and $2.30 in some places, I’m not sure Albo and Jimbo will want to be the ones to jack it up even further overnight.
I think you’re right, there’s no choice but to extend it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #1848
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course they have but that was not my point. I was making the point that I am not going to lose my freedom of travel over a couple of grand. There are plenty of other things most of us can cut back if needed. If you are happy to sit at home to save a couple of grand then that's your choice.
Problem is in the longer term you don’t just lose a couple of grands worth of travel.Your coffee costs more,groceries cost more as do everything else you need or want to buy, so the $2000 extra fuel cost flows on and quickly becomes $4-5000 extra per year,which may not be a concern to you,but I can assure you that increase in living costs knocks a lot of people around.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #1849
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HUGE discrepancies now in the eastern subs. 98 ranging from $2.1x to $2.7x, and those are major stations only, sometimes spaced only a couple of Ks apart.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #1850
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
But when everything else is going up, and higher fuel prices are making just about everything more expensive, plus higher interest rates and the cost of living is just accelerating at a rate that below 50's have probably never seen before.

It all adds up. I wouldn't be surprised if people on average wage were easily losing 10-15% of their wages compared to what they were a year or 2 ago, just on the extra costs of fuel, food, power bills etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #1851
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
You spend $2000 extra on fuel a year for the car you use for work, then your family car that your wife who stays at home, now we are at $4000. Then lets add in that the rents gone up because you cant afford to buy a house and the landlord passes it on to the tennant. Your rent goes up $50 a week, that's $2600 a year, we are at $6600 a year now. Then lets add the cost of living, lets call it a 7.5% rise on your cost of living. Lets say $10,000 extra a year.

Your annual take home single income after tax is $70,000 because your wife doesn't work as your two kids are young. You have about $100 spare a week after expenses. So yes, the fuel rising $2000 a year for a car is massive for some families

I don't know what world you live in mate, but this is the scenario for a lot of aussies right now, doing it tough. I wish that $10,000 of extra living expenses was back in my pocket though, then i could buy another 100 AU's

Edit, this is not my scenario, this is an example. In my friends circle I am seeing lots of sacrifices to living costs so they can afford to eat, keep a roof over their heads and still manage to survive.

Last edited by fordomatic; 05-07-2022 at 12:19 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #1852
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Your post does cover alot whats been going on in Melb and many have their heads in the sand down there living in past.....
I have been a regular business traveller there for the last 30yrs.
Got to say it was once miles ahead of messy Sydney of its roads and the general day to day outlook.
Its chip on its shoulder to be the No1 city over Sydney is a crown of thorns that now is giving.
Years ago traffic at peak was way better but the last 10yrs or so its caught up to Sydney hands down, infact at least in Sydney you can speed reasonably without being pinged whereas Melb, well always been the 0 tolerance State.
Sydney's homeless was isolated around the Cross and Woolloomollo Melb now has just as much and wider from my observations.
I was there last week for 2days, what a nightmare to drive around the CBD and close burbs.
The amount of For Lease signs far out weighs Sydney from observations as well.
Another good job there Dan.
Unemployed youth around the city streets makes you very sus walking around some parts.
Heaps of development going on just wonder what future tenants can afford the rentals the way its going talking about fuel costs for one and the ongoing increase's cost of living...........
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #1853
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's the straw that broke the camels back...

@ $2 a litre, that 13litres/100 is $3900 already. Now you're looking at almost $6000. Thats got to hurt.

Your comment would be like me saying people should just buy electric cars and not worry about fuel prices but I'd be quite out of touch to say something like that.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #1854
Honest Gaza

Quote:
In the current climate, for couples who both work, that equates to $4,000 (assuming both cars are used equally).

You have to earn about $6K to get $4K after Tax...so yes, it all adds up.
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #1855
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
HUGE discrepancies now in the eastern subs. 98 ranging from $2.1x to $2.7x, and those are major stations only, sometimes spaced only a couple of Ks apart.
I would dare say a lot of greed and collusion going on with the service station industry in these trouble times, our ACCC is weak as p i s s with doing anything about it and you certainly won't hear from our governments who are gleefully collecting the extra tax.

Come September more pain and misery for the motorists.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #1856
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Wow, unpopular opinion. I guess when you live in the country and don't have the median $600k home loan or have your work/life balance sorted so you don't have to pay childcare then paying a little more for things isn't really noticed.

That's a win for country living.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #1857
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the fuel tax that was removed in certain percentage didnt even make a dent in the current pricing.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #1858
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Your post does cover alot whats been going on in Melb and many have their heads in the sand down there living in past.....
I have been a regular business traveller there for the last 30yrs.
Got to say it was once miles ahead of messy Sydney of its roads and the general day to day outlook.
Its chip on its shoulder to be the No1 city over Sydney is a crown of thorns that now is giving.
Years ago traffic at peak was way better but the last 10yrs or so its caught up to Sydney hands down, infact at least in Sydney you can speed reasonably without being pinged whereas Melb, well always been the 0 tolerance State.
Sydney's homeless was isolated around the Cross and Woolloomollo Melb now has just as much and wider from my observations.
I was there last week for 2days, what a nightmare to drive around the CBD and close burbs.
The amount of For Lease signs far out weighs Sydney from observations as well.
Another good job there Dan.
Unemployed youth around the city streets makes you very sus walking around some parts.
Heaps of development going on just wonder what future tenants can afford the rentals the way its going talking about fuel costs for one and the ongoing increase's cost of living...........
Basically all that's going to happen is in 15-20 years time is that Melbourne is going to have an outer slum ring of the reffo suburbs where it's all poorly planned out cheap housing and no services where the 'working poor' exist who have various degrees but can't find work in their fields and work in cash in hand service jobs/gig economy and then the nicer inner parts of Melbourne suburbia where the affluent live and you'll just be one or the other while the 'most liveable city' award only considers the inner 5km radius around the CBD conveniently ignoring the huge hobo camp that Flinders Street Station is.

I'm currently out and about right now in one of the new fledgling reffo suburbs
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #1859
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shell in Blackburn Vic 282 for 98 and Doncaster 222 for 98. 6Km between the two stations.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #1860
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Basically all that's going to happen is in 15-20 years time is that Melbourne is going to have an outer slum ring of the reffo suburbs where it's all poorly planned out cheap housing and no services where the 'working poor' exist who have various degrees but can't find work in their fields and work in cash in hand service jobs/gig economy and then the nicer inner parts of Melbourne suburbia where the affluent live and you'll just be one or the other while the 'most liveable city' award only considers the inner 5km radius around the CBD.
You mean like almost every major city in the world?
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: