Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-01-2023, 01:43 PM   #121
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: e-Scooters - opinions?

I think Dash Cams Australia must have enough footage of e-scooter riders being stupid to have several dedicated e-scooter compilations now.
Old 24-01-2023, 03:00 PM   #122
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

So can my 62yr old missus legally drive the 1000W twin engine one with a seat i bought her for christmas on a footpath here in Qld or no?

First i have even heard about these things being illegal and i get it up to at least 45 every time i get on it, with my bike helmet of course.

But wifey only uses 1 motor and does around 25...as it scares her a bit.

Serious question, i cant find much info at all ?

Last edited by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys; 24-01-2023 at 03:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 03:06 PM   #123
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What's the rules with getting on the **** and riding these things? When I was in Canberra 99% of the people using them weren't wearing helmets.

If here in VIC you can get done for driving unlicensed vehicle on these things then drink driving rules apply also
For ebikes, its lawful when its 250w pedal assisted, or 200w without pedal assist. For escooters, I believe you can't ride privately owned ones, regardless of power output, full stop.

So I guess if you get done riding 60kmh on an escooter, they could throw a million and one charges at you if they wanted to. Unlawful use of vehicle, riding an unregistered vehicle etc etc....

The Kygrios incident would have been a non issue if no one snapped him, then published it all over the news. Once it was out in the public, can't see how cops could have got away with not fining him, cos if they ignored it, they would have been slammed for showing bias. A $230 fine for him would be what he'd have earned doing up his shoe laces.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #124
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
So can my 62yr old missus legally drive the 1000W twin engine one with a seat i bought her for christmas on a footpath here in Qld or no?

First i have even heard about these things being illegal and i get it up to at least 45 every time i get on it, with my bike helmet of course.

But wifey only uses 1 motor and does around 25...as it scares her a bit.

Serious question, i cant find much info at all ?
Yes, she can in QLD but watch ya speed.

QLD >> https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf...bility-devices

A bit more Aus wide https://www.drive.com.au/news/electr...s-regulations/

More >> https://scooterhut.com.au/blogs/blog...-qld-wa-act-nt

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 24-01-2023 at 03:33 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2023, 04:24 PM   #125
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Im in NSW, but imagine same kinda rules as Vic.
That answers part of my question.
But the other part, e scooters being banned. Why arent other types (eBikes) also going that way? (Serious question, as whilst i ride bikes and work in the industry, i generally dont get caught up in this side of it).

If i have to ride on the footpath, i do take a lot of care i dont just plow into Mavis walking out of the chemist
An e-bike falls under pedal powered bike rules and almost all bikes are ridden on the road, dedicated bike paths or where allowed on a shared footpath in Melb. In Melbourne's CBD you don't often a bike rider riding on the footpath but you will often see an e-scooter on the footpath.

FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 covered Vic's bike riding rules.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #126
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm wonder what tech can they deploy to stop people riding on footpaths?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...21-p5cmbf.html

Narrowly avoided a potential incident the other day out in the burbs. Was stopped at a set of lights, first in line, in the middle lane of a 3 lane 70kmh zone.

Lights turned green and I took off much much slower than usual, was a stinking 35+ deg day. Some nutter on his private escooter zipped up from behind, and cut across from the right hand side of the middle lane to the left lane. Came out of nowhere. He missed my bonnet by an inch. If i had taken off as per normal, he would have been under my front right wheel. Tried to catch up but couldn't unless I broke the speed limit, he would have been doing 80kmh+ I reckon. But he did have a helmet on

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2023, 12:54 PM   #127
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Private e scooters in Vic to be allowed.....

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...29-p5cwe6.html

Rides (past and present)

Old 04-05-2023, 01:56 PM   #128
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Impressive... 1 month jail

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-...oter/102299898

Rides (past and present)

Old 06-05-2023, 02:11 PM   #129
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
If that had been in Victoria I would have instantly thought it was Franco.

Remind me of a police chasing a Harley rider in the US recently, this bone head thought he could outrun the cops on a motorbike that handles like a boat.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post