Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-04-2005, 01:33 AM   #61
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

huh matt ?

i no follow what you just said !

Last edited by fordel; 07-04-2005 at 01:34 AM.
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #62
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I was prolly going a bit far there, just wanted to state the the ST170 leaves far more an evil smile on the face than any XR6 NA ever will!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #63
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

yes yes it does
Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Just removed this as i dont think its required.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 07-04-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed as it wasnt required
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #65
whippet_zetec
Supes

I guess its all horses for courses isnt it? If you like small hatches you like em, if you like petrol guzzlers you like em......thats the best thing about choice, everyone has that right.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #66
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Removed not required.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 07-04-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed as it wasnt required
Old 07-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #67
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

See thats just the typical mentality of a Falcon driver, cant see anything bar the big **** barges

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #68
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
See thats just the typical mentality of a Falcon driver, cant see anything bar the big **** barges

Chris
oi! fair go..
I like them both
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #69
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Also for resale if we wanna get snappy about it, heres some facts..

2004 FORD FOCUS

LR MY2003 Hatchback ST170 3dr Man 6sp 2.0i
average kms 18,000 - 22,000
Trade in price guide* $22,000 - $25,300
National average price - private sale* $24,600 - $28,400
Price when new (RRP) $37,000

2004 FORD FALCON

BA Sedan XR6 4dr SA 4sp 4.0i
average kms 18,000 - 22,000
Trade in price guide* $26,200 - $29,500
National average price - private sale* $28,900 - $33,100
Price when new (RRP) $39,575

Also interesting to note I paid less for my BA XR6 with 18s, Premium sound etc brand new then the retail of the ST170, what for 127 kw lol... As you can see theres not much difference in resale, Falcon still comes out marginally better.
I don't know a single ST170 owner that paid that much for their ST new, most I heard of only paid in the low 30s.

Quote:
Haha you talk some shit... Consider the Focus Sales in its category compared to Falcon... You will find that the XR brand probarly makes up more sales then the Focus alone... The Focus can't keep with any of the competition in the sales race... Ive driven two Focuses an LX anda SR and they were alright to drive, but the interior was BORING, and the Exterior was just UGLY... specially for a car that was going to cost me $26,000 at the time.
Once again, you're trying to justify to yourself that the Falcon is a better car due to sales volume over the Focus, and the Focus can't outsell its competition - hate to say it, but the Falcon isn't out selling its competition either. And no-one here is trying to say that the Focus is the best car in Australia either - so I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove here.

And please don't come out with personal insults - not a single one more will be tolerated by anyone.

You can have your opinion, you love your BA XR6 NA - and that's ok. We liked our BA XR6 too - when it was not broken down on the side of the road with oil pouring out of it waiting for a tow truck back to Ford again. Plus the BA XR's replacement is not only faster, it uses alot less fuel and is alot more luxurious. But that's another story entirely!

We buy our cars for other reasons than you, obviously, otherwise we'd all be driving BA XR6 NAs. You prefer your car - that's fine. But be sensible with your next reply, no more insults will be tolerated, opinions are fine.

This is a forum, not a playground, so keep childish comments for home - goes for everyone.

:togo:

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #70
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Sorry Glenn

Its good to see though how mr Shockwave here compares the LX/SR Focus to his XR6 and yet when talking about price goes the ST..... at least if you are comparing the cars compare the ST to the XR6, which i doubt you have even had the chance to drive or even really see one

And with Tim, don't really know anyone that paid $37k for theirs, i sure as heck know i didnt pay that much for mine, and if i was after an XR6 it would have been well over $40k for the car.

We dont come into your forums and go on about your cars, so yes please dont do that here the person chose a car they liked and that they are happy with !

And i will retract my prev statement there Tim

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #71
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Touchy subject. I am sure they fill a niche in the market, and the one I drove wasn't the sporty model, it was just a plain jane SR auto.
My expectations due to the popularity of them were maybe set too high. I might go for a blast in an ST for comparisions sake.
I apologise if some people got upset but B2TF answered my post and if a FOcus meets his requirements it is all good then isn't it?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #72
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR6 is no comparison to the focus st170 anyhow? dunno how this came up.., they are a totally different class.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #73
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

The thread was about B2TF buying a Focus, before some insulting comments were made by people who obviously have no respect for the choice that was made by the starter of this thread, and did not think before they posted.

In the same way that we don't go posting in Falcons threads about everything we don't like about the Falcon, if someone said they just bought a car and are really happy with it, why be a Smacktard and proceed to bag the car out and tell them how you think it is the worst car you have ever driven?

We've already covered this ground in previous posts as it is, the fact of the matter is, B2TF is buying a Focus, alot of us love our Foci, and if you don't like the Focus, don't be a Smacktard about it.

B2TF - be sure to keep us updated on your new purchase! Including pics!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #74
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Thanks Racecraft, we are definitely a bunch of passionate owners here. Guess you always find that a group of owners of a vehicle that isn't necessarily the most popular tend to be pretty passionate and stick together.

An auto SR is HARDLY even remotely comparable to a manual Zetec or ST so it's not exactly a fair comparison. But styling is all subjective so it's one person's opinion vs another's which is totally acceptable. Otherwise we'd never see the effort in design the companies push!! I for one am glad there's so many different vehicles to choose from. Something for everyone.

ShockwaveXR6NA, I am definitely not paying out the XR6 at all. I'd own one in a sceond if my needs were for a family car, I'd look straight at an XR6 and the only other options I'd consider would be the colour and the interior, not the competition. Thing is I can't justify the fuel, the size or the need for a big family car. And I paid $27k driveaway for my 3 door manual with traction control and stability control, dual stage airbags and ABS with EBD, Control blade IRS etc. MORE than adequate safety wise especially for a hatch. I counted it as a bargain considering the quality of vehicle. That's around $10k less I estimate than most would dream of paying as a driveaway price for an XR6 with an option or two.

But if we're looking apples with apples, Chris has a valid point. You mention you paid less for your XR6 with options than an ST170 at retail. Well I doubt you paid retail, so let's be totally fair here.

ST170
RRP $37,000 + Dealer Delivery and statutory charges

BA XR6
RRP (Premium Sound and 18's as you mentioned)
Manual 5 speed - $41,495
Auto - $42,415

Those Falcon prices are based on MkII, not sure how much they might have increased from Mk I but I'm assuming not too much more than a few hundred if at all.

So over $5k difference for an auto and just under $5k for a manual. Now guessing you got a nice helthy discount of say $5k (I don't know) and we give a relative % discount to the ST, then you pay $32,500 roughly before onroads which is a realistic price knowing what I sold 2 of them for last year. So being fair, the ST is dear per kw perhaps, but making price even (and fair) it's well optioned and has featured you'd be dreaming of in your XR right now so it's not a totall level playing field. The XR6 has power, space a plenty and a huge boot, the ST has all the main BA mechanicals standard such as Control Blade, EBD, ventilated discs, PLUS Stability Control and Traction control, a 6 speed getrag gearbox, standard semi leather trim, standard 6 stacker, standard interior Thatcham alarm with interior motion sensors....

I highly recommend you go for a drive or better still, get taken for a drive in an ST170. If you don't get out laughing or at least smiling, then you didn't do it properly! They're not the best car in the world, but they are sensationally good fun. As is an XR6. There's something for everyone thankfully.

Last edited by zetec; 07-04-2005 at 02:10 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #75
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok,

As i mentioned earlier - before i went car hunting i had a list of requirements that the car had to have, as well as things i would like but could live without.

At first i was looking at a 3dr manual Zetec i found being sold privately - was all set to buy it, when a salesman i deal with at my Old Dealers called me and told me he had found a CL model which was in perfect condition. Originallyi didnt want a CL because of the drum brakes, no power windows and a few other things it's missing, but when i had a look at the car in question, i was sold on it after taking it for a drive.

Why? Because while its a CL and may not be as flash as its LX/Zetec brothers, its a damn good car. Its an auto, which doesnt really phase me - auto or manual,i dont really care. Probably better it being an auto cos it means my gf can drive it easier than she can a manual, as well as the parents if they have to move it etc. I have no issues with the gearbox at all - had read some reviews of it and was a bit apprehensive at first, but i drove it myself and in my opinion its fine, nothing wrong with it.
The interior - ok, so no power windows or mirrors. This is on the 'fit later on' list anyway, expensive to do but nonetheless id like to do it. Other than that, well yes its a bit different to the Falcons im used to (a fair bit different!), but its by no means the worst interior ive ever seen/been in. If it wasnt any good, i wouldnt have bought one.
But the big plus for this particular car (the one ive bought) is that it has the safety pack - disc brakes all round, ABS and driver and passenger airbag. Very rare to find Foci with them now, and for that reason i jumped on it.

First things to be done will be the leather steering wheel and cruise, the rims go on when i pick it up and after that just little things like scuff plates etc until i build up the courage to go messing round with things like the auto shifter and power windows.

From what ive seen, Eurofordclub looks like a really good thing to be in. Its already helped me out a hell of a lot in making the purchase, as i really had no idea what to look for, what was good etc etc. Timmeh and Zetec in particular have been a big help (apologies for all the questions guys!).
In regards to the Falcon/Focus debate, it's not really fair to compare the 2. Shockwave, you're exactly right - for the money im paying i could have gotten myself into an AU2/3/possibly BA if i stretched it a bit, but i dont want to. Why? Mainly one reason - fuel. Whats the point of paying for a big car that i only use 1/2 seats in? I have no need for a Falcon at this particular point in time, so i see no need to pay the costs associated with having one. the Focus is plenty good enough for me, does what i want it to do, looks pretty good IMHO, and wont cost me a lot to run. Its all about practicality, and in my particular situation, after a lot of thinking and testing and trying and looking, The Focus has come out on top.

I pick it up hopefully on Monday or Tuesday of next week. And I can't wait.

Last edited by b2tf; 07-04-2005 at 02:22 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #76
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats fair enough, Bascially I wouldnt have fired up unless Mr Zetec here thought he would have a bite at the XR6 NA...

As ive already said the Focus is a good drive, expecially in the Auto.

Lets leave it at that.

Good luck B2TF with your purchase, im sure it will make you extremely happy.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #77
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Thanks, that's the idea :sm_headba ;).
Old 07-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #78
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When do you pick it up? And which 17 inch rims have you gone for?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #79
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hopefully Monday/Tuesday of next week. These are the rims:
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 AM   #80
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Thats fair enough, Bascially I wouldnt have fired up unless Mr Zetec here thought he would have a bite at the XR6 NA...

As ive already said the Focus is a good drive, expecially in the Auto.

Lets leave it at that.

So I had a bite, not like a million Falcon drivers haven't chewed on the Focus before. This is the Focus forum and I was talking to an ST owner. I never once said the XR6 was anything but good, I just stated an inflated call against the ST170 in a manner of flippancy. That and I was still fired up ufter a previous post so I do apologise.

I've spent years putting up with people who don't know much about the Focus and come to conclusions that it's crap because of what's read in the media. A handful of cars came in under calibrated I believe and from that day on the Focus was officially crap. Well I'm over the moon and that's all that matters to me. Never once been crap in my books. I'm somewhat of a known passionate around the Focus circles, somebody has to be to keep an otherwise unloved car in the spotlight for the right reasons and give it some well deserved good press.

One day we'll share a beer hopefully Shockwave or a laugh and we'll both be happy knowing XR6, Focus, Fiesta whatever, Ford still makes some of the best cars for the money in the world and isn't ashamed to be proud of it! At least I'm not!!! :
Old 15-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #81
Ferris

I agree with b2tf. When I was car hunting, I narrowed it down to 2 cars. Now take note: My previous car was a HSV Maloo Ute. A: it was Holden, B: it was a V8 and C: it was a Ute.

I narrowed my search down to 2 cars. The XR6 Turbo, and the ST170. I chose the ST simply because I didn't need a big car anymore. Otherwise, I'd have stuck with my ute... I really like the XR6 Turbo, and given a different set of needs, I would have chosen that. But I didn't. I went out on a limb, and got the sporty hatchback, which in all the reviews I've read stated "underpowered/too porky". I had HUGE reservations about that, but after much umming and ahhing, I bit the bullet and ordered the car.

What a shitfight it was too, it took me 3 months to secure the LAST available new ST170 for sale in Australia. Germany declined to supply me a car, you see. I had to get it trucked over to Perth from Hornsby in NSW, because a sale fell through.

Having had the car since january, I think the car reviewers for the ST170 are a bunch of dickheads. For a stock-as-a-rock 2.0L hatchback, its quick. I have no issues with it being underpowered (except I'd like 300HP spewing from the flywheel, coz I'm a crazy bastard) and have no problem leaving all manner of vehicles for dead, albeit a off the lights drag, or slalom race. So all in all, the car is a winner, and people who bag it really don't know what the **** they're on about. Get in one and get taken for a blat. If you leave the car still grumbling, you're either a cynical bastard that can't be pleased, or you're a ****er trying desperatley to cling to an ideal that the Focus is shit. Get over yourself.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #82
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ferris, i like your post! :hihi:.

I too was VERY apprehensive at the thought of driving a smaller car (smaller than my old Falcon), but now im in it i finally see what ive been missing out on.

I love my Focus and ive only had it 3 days! Will only get better from here.

Oh btw, i remember you mentioned something about seeing some pictures of the auto shifter? I have some now, if youd like to take a look and tell me what you think about it being possible to shorten it.
Old 17-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #83
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Good on you Ferris! Nice post. I can confirm that was the last one available, I was checking that car out at Altos in Artarmon on our national system for ages... Wondering who'd take it!! Good to hear it went to a good home.

Remember that these guys spend all day fanging Clio Sports and Turbo hatches, understandable that the ST feel underwhelimg, personally it does, it just doesn't have the lowdown guts that almost everything else bigger has. Neither does any hatch for that matter, it's a damn 2 litre for crying out loud, hardly a stump-puller. just unfortunate in some ways that the Clio is SO damn amazing. BUT it IS only a tiny thing with 1000kg slowing it down, damn. Same as the Pug 206 Gti 180, it's hardly heavy. So the extra 200kg for the Focus is carried quite well and it's still a damn quick car, just not compared (unfairly in some ways) to other hot hatches, no matter how much smaller. It is a sensationally well balanced car, amazing drive and I think the only reason it feel the need for extra powr is because the chassis is so blatantly effective. What a problem to have eh? Such a good chassis that it feels like it needs more power!!!!!

Bring on the ST Turbo!!!!! That'll shut em up.