Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Too good to be true?

Found this car in carpoint. Seems like a great buy for the price, does anyone have any idea why it might be that much though? I think it seems a little suss given the price they normally go for, however i'll be giving the guy a call tomorrow.

Obviously if it turns out ok I'll still be having it inspected etc etc.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau
Old 23-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Mio

Unhappy not zetec

that model is 85 kw 2 l engine all models have zetec writen on valve cover, that one is just 2 l lx, not real zetec.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, thats what i thought too but it really doesnt worry me. Matter of fact, its probably better its not a Zetec.
Old 23-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Mio

for $26000 u can buy ST 170 maybe even cheaper than that
Old 23-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

no to ST170. This is the kind of money im looking at, i can stretch it a bit but id rather not.
Old 23-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines the 1.8, and it has Zectec on the engine cover. Is this right? I dunno much about these cars, just that they are fanstastic to drive. What is the zetec and why is it good.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dwayne,

obviously someone here will be able to tell yuo more than what i can, but from what i gather all Foci regardless of model/engine size have 'Zetec' written on the engine cover.Why that is I don't know.

Update - the car was too good to be true. Called the guy today, turned out to be an Indian guy who bought it at auction after it had had a front end prang - he said it was minor but the airbag went off, so it must have been something substantial. Won't be buying this one.

May have found a Zetec for a good price though :Reverend: .
Old 24-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Are you looking at buying a car... Cause i am looking at selling mine.

PM if you are interested man!

Russ
Old 24-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Mio

zetec gets 96 kw engine, sports suspension, stiffer clutch pedal and shorter and more accurate gear selector, silver dials, and centre console.
Old 24-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

WASACL, i will be in touch.
Old 24-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

RUSS?!?!?! What the?

All current Foci use a Zetec engine, just that the sports Focus is called the Zetec after European models have done for years on certain Zetec engined Mondeos and Foci. Now they're all moving to Duratec engines which are an evolution of the Zetec. Still called Zetec though, given the image of the name now, would be too confusing to change, even though they're no longer running Zetec engines.

That Indian guy is a total muppet, $8,000 worth of free options? How exactly? He's pricing it at $18,900, that might be $8k below the retail price, but given the price and age of the car, it's only a little lower than normal. Options are "extras" you stupid muppet so effectively you're getting $8,000 off, not $8,000 extra worth of options. I'd take this guy to the cleaners and demand he cough up for false advertising.

Car prang = never touch it Sam....
especially some fool who thinks that the LR is a model of the Focus?!!

"its in a perfect condition" Come again? Crashed? Ain't perfect, ain't even factory no mo....

"u will get more then 8000$ worth of free options in this car" yeah and I have a V8 in my Focus from factory mate... come off the grass

"why PAY for the focus LR or CL" The Focus LR is the model code, just like a BA Falcon you tool.... get it right mate

"wile u can get te LX zetec fully equiped for te same price? these are the standards that u will not find on the LR and CL series: 2.0 LTR ZETEC,AUTOMATIC,ABS" Is he actually serious? 2.0 LTR? Sorry but you can get it on a CL mate with the auto...

Somebody should shoot him.
Old 25-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, he seemed like a nice enough guy, just a little misguided and once he said anything about the accident (and then i heard the word 'airbag' in amongst the jumbled english) i just tuned out.

He had nothing to hide - was quite OK with me getting it inspected etc, but once i heard about it i didnt bother any further.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura

bought it at auction after it had had a front end prang - he said it was minor but the airbag went off, so it must have been something substantial.
i can understand your concern but an airbag going off doesnt always mean that it was a bad prang. we bought a 96 Nissan Maxima Sport Touring for $2500 (retail price of $8000-$12000) that has front damage. the airbag has gone off but the damage is only a new front bar, condensor, fans and the bottom of the radiator support is pushed back about 5cm on one side (it ran off the road in the wet). the rest of the car is fine. the radiator support is being replace with a new one for $400 completed. (only cause it was easier than trying make the old one look new again). airbag and modules we can get for $220, bumper is $115 brand new unpainted, bumper support is about $150 new, fans were $200.
so yes it has been damaged but no it really has no effect what so ever on the safety/condition of the car.
i know the cringing thought of a repaired damaged car but when done properly if you never got told you would never know.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Davway,

yeah i agree, if he hadnt have told me i probably wouldnt have known (said he used gen. Ford bits etc etc), but now he has told me, so i do know :nutsycuck .

Given the choice between a few other cars im looking at, im not interested in this one at all because of the accident. Why buy a damaged one when you can get one thats never had a prang in its life?
Old 26-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hey b2tf, if I was you I would hang out a bit longer and wait until the next focus comes out. 20, 990 for a base model that looks better alround and has more guts is well worth the money.

Or even get a runout model. Just food for thought.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

My grandfather has a 95 Mondeo that only had a light prang into a wall in the carpark, one of the cylinder heads ended up cracked and it was diagnosed 6 months later, they think it may have been associated with the prang, so it's definitely something to watch out for.