Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Get it checked out at 3,000?

Time to give the AU a clean, so i usually move the focus out and park the AU sideways in the garage. Cleaning a black car in the sun can be a bit of task. Went to start the focus (2,600 k's on the clock) and I get a series of loud clicking coming from the direction of the battery. So I stopped. Went to try again, and it was dead. No doors, lights, radio or nothing. Strange me thinks. So I figure new car warranty, lets give the dealership a call where i was told, they don't offer a break down service, call ford's special service. Couldn't be bothered. I got NRMA assistance, so I'll maybe call those guys. Tried the engine again, same deal. Yes I know I should have given up first go round and stop trying. But never say die. Anyway, it just sounds like the power isn't getting a clean connection so I rips the plastic battery cover off, and I'll be dammed, both red and black terminals, the little nut is just about off both of them. So I tighten her all up, and away we go. Anyway, can the clicking cause a problem to the cars electrical system. I don't know much about the bits and peices, but would it have damaged the computer and wiring? I'm due in a week for my 3,000 service, so maybe I should mention it to ford, or don't you think its even worth it?

Now I got reset the radio because its askin for the code. So I think it might have been like this overnight.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thats weird. Mines got one little gremlin too (see other thread).

If youve got it going again and its all running ok (apart from going a bit spastic cos it has to learn again) i wouldnt worry about it, but yeah you may as well tell them what happened. I highly doubt anything will be damaged from it though.

Actually while we're on the topic of batteries - if i disconnect mine overnight to reset the computer, is it like a Falcon one - does it learn over time? Im just thinking mine is still used to its previous owner and is perhaps chewing a bit more due to my driving style. I thought maybe wiping it clean so to speak might help. Any ideas?
Old 23-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Sounds like the Focus, is a little outa focus there nudie..LOL ....

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #4
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Yeah worth mentioning it to ford, thats what they are there for especially with the 3000km service

Seems something got kind of loose there along the way

Chris
Old 24-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Sounds like the Focus, is a little outa focus there nudie..LOL ....
I got a couple of screws loose :hihi:

I will mention it. Could become one of those problems that always seem to get ya when its outta warranty

Last edited by Bucknaked; 24-04-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can almost guarantee your local Ford dealer won't care... I had scoring starting to develop on my front brake disks at 1500km so took it into them- might as well have told the brick wall in the workshop (it would have cared more! )
Old 24-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknaked
...went to start the focus and I get a series of loud clicking coming from the direction of the battery...can the clicking cause a problem to the cars electrical system...
When you hit the key, a solenoid switches on, turning the starter motor, which turns the engine to make it start. When you release the key, the starter motor solenoid switches off, and if everything is OK your engine is purring away.

If you don't have enough charge in your battery (or if it can't draw enough amps because the battery clamps aren't tightened up) the starter motor solenoid cannot extend fully, and retracts. When the solenoid switches off, it reduces the load on the battery, which increases the available charge so the solenoid switches on again, and then the process is repeated. Each clicking noise it the extension / retraction of the starter motor solenoid.

Please don't quote this to a mechanic because he will laugh at you. It's far more complex but I've tried to dumb it down a bit.

The simple answer - the clicking noise was caused by poorly tightened battery clamps. It did absolutely no damage to your electrical or mechanical system

Panda
Old 25-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Good work Panda, very informative. The Focus lives to fight another day!