Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Go Sam Stosur

Win, lose or draw tonight what a fantastic effort from Sam Stosur in the French Open. Especially her last 3 matches. Can't beleive it has been over 30 years since an Aussie woman last one a grand slam. Go Sam

Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Agree, she obviously worked hard to get where she is and played the worlds best.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

I hope she wins, I went to Primary school with her and as school captain I helped fundraise to get a tennis court built at the school. Might have to hit her up for a cut of her winnings, hahahaha

She's worked hard for a lot of years, she deserves it!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
rodderz

She got outplayed by the other bird, but also made a lot of easy mistakes. Hopefully she plays well the rest of the season.

The italian chick looks more bloke than mauresmo!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forza Schiavone. Finally a grand slam winner.
Bad luck Stosur, but her time will come.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Bugger.............I think I put the mockers on her........Great effort all the same
Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done to Stosur.
I play tennis, and it's a game where one day you can absolutely play like a champion, and your next game can go to poos.
That is a combination of attitude, physical form, pressure and and other psychological pressures.

Schiavone played well. People say the match was a 'fizzer', but Stosur forced Schiavone to play!
6-4 7-6 is a decent match. It was straight sets, but it wasn't Jankovic or Safina playing, who both get wiped off the court in big matches.

Best wishes to Sam. She might not have won, but she has done us proud.

If you aren't happy with her effort, then get stuffed because she beat two highly-fancied opponents to get there.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard luck for aussie Sam, but kudos also to Schiavone she played the match of her life in the biggest game of her life.

Is it just me or does the french open have more upset winners than any other grand slam?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

She beat 3 highly fancied opponents. That last one she beat was the 4th seed
Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You know what I love, it was all hyped up in the Australian media, Stam Stosur this Sam Stosur that, yeah she'll win she has great form blah blah.

Then when she lost, the media doesn't want to know or care about her. Barely anything has been mentioned, compared to news being flooded with it.

Same story with one of the actors from that "Twilight" series of movies, sure its been mentioned in the movies but once they found out one of the main actors' mum is Australian, she's an "Aussie" now apparently... Even though she was born in Los Angeles, California.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Well done to Stosur.
I play tennis, and it's a game where one day you can absolutely play like a champion, and your next game can go to poos.
That is a combination of attitude, physical form, pressure and and other psychological pressures.
Lol, tennis players are no pioneers here, every sportsperson faces these challenges.

Sam tried to play the Leyton hewitt baseline rally game and got her *** handed to her by a player that hits just as hard.
She barely came to the net and when she did she got hammered.

Too 1 dimensional for a GS final.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Decided to hold off playing 360 last night and watch it, i enjoyed it, was a good match up
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

I was quite impressed with the 3D broadcast! Cant wait for the AFL to start being filmed in 3D.. Was a shame she lost but its good to see the woman of tennis matching it with the best.
pejamas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
You know what I love, it was all hyped up in the Australian media, Stam Stosur this Sam Stosur that, yeah she'll win she has great form blah blah.

Then when she lost, the media doesn't want to know or care about her. Barely anything has been mentioned, compared to news being flooded with it.
Also French open hasn't been properly televised here for ages, then all of a sudden they found time for it.

Oh well bad luck to her. She did well and the 2nd prize money will help her for the rest of the year.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Lol, tennis players are no pioneers here, every sportsperson faces these challenges.

Sam tried to play the Leyton hewitt baseline rally game and got her *** handed to her by a player that hits just as hard.
She barely came to the net and when she did she got hammered.

Too 1 dimensional for a GS final.
Yes, that's a fair call.
However, a lot of people have been saying how crap it is and that she should have won blah blah blah...

She was beaten by a better player on the day, but she still deserved her runners-up and we're all very proud of her...or at least most of us are.

She met an opponent in good form. One another day, her game could have won her the match.

Well done Sam.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post