Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #5971
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Portrait/vertical video in 2020 needs to be punished by death
Maybe, but at least he doesn't set fire to police cars, sucker-punch people, destroy small businesses...or read The Australian.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #5972
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
AFL CEO flying to Brisbane without quarantine may be a 'key moment of 2020'

Sky News host Paul Murray says Australia is about to hit a key moment in 2020 when the “brass from the AFL” head over to Brisbane for the AFL Grand Final announcement and likely won’t be required to enter quarantine.

On Wednesday it is expected to be announced that the AFL Grand final will be taking place in Brisbane as opposed to Melbourne where it is traditionally held, given Melbourne is the COVID-19 hotspot of the nation.

A photo has been released of the AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan at Melbourne airport on Tuesday night en route to Brisbane, where he will appear in front of the media, seemingly without having to quarantine for 14 days.

Many have criticized Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk for her tough implementation of border restrictions, turning around many people such as an ACT woman who had been denied access into Queensland to attend her father’s funeral.

“While I understand why the Premier is excited that the AFL Grand Final is going to be taking place in Queensland … could somebody please explain to me why the boss of the AFL is allowed to go from Melbourne to Brisbane in a day with his family with no quarantine whatsoever,” Mr Murray said.

“But somebody who wanted to go to a funeral is told no … talk about one rule for them and one rule for us.

“Just as the black lives matter exposed the hypocrisy in the first wave, I think the brass of the AFL being able to cross into Queensland and freely walk around without the fourteen day quarantine period is going to be the next version of this.

“There are hundreds of people, I would say thousands who haven’t been able to cross in Queensland.

“Gillon McLachlan has literally flown from the COVID hotspot of Australia to Brisbane, I don’t assume he was isolating for fourteen days, if he was I’ll apologise, but I doubt it.”
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6186585586001

Doesn't apply to the elites
Old 02-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #5973
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I heard 200-300 AFL staff going over there? Didnt realise it took that many people to run a footy match in a pandemic? Makes a complete mockery of the whole situation.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #5974
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I heard 200-300 AFL staff going over there? Didnt realise it took that many people to run a footy match in a pandemic? Makes a complete mockery of the whole situation.
Add in all the breaches by the players for the 'hub' that they're supposedly in as well and really what an absolute joke.

I already hate the virtue signalling AFL as it is but this stinks of the rules don't apply to us - what does a CEO need to be there for and also his family? Can't he work from home and use Zoom/Microsoft Teams like the rest of us?

The optics on this one are terrible.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #5975
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Add in all the breaches by the players for the 'hub' that they're supposedly in as well and really what an absolute joke.

I already hate the virtue signalling AFL as it is but this stinks of the rules don't apply to us - what does a CEO need to be there for and also his family? Can't he work from home and use Zoom/Microsoft Teams like the rest of us?

The optics on this one are terrible.
A joke is the right word.

They could play in VIC and have no crowds etc just like they have so far, quarantine the children and then let them run around the park.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #5976
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Which touches on an idea I’ve been pondering. Why can’t there be “quarantine farms” rather than putting everyone in medium security?

Not surprised at the emergent double standards. It was going to happen. And when the Premier of Victoria praised the police for doing a good job and included in his praised activities “fining people” (sic) it shows how detached the privileged are rapidly becoming.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #5977
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Which touches on an idea I’ve been pondering. Why can’t there be “quarantine farms” rather than putting everyone in medium security?

Not surprised at the emergent double standards. It was going to happen. And when the Premier of Victoria praised the police for doing a good job and included in his praised activities “fining people” (sic) it shows how detached the privileged are rapidly becoming.
Victoria this morning barely scraped through on a vote to enable quarantine at all........what chance would there be of a quarantine "farm"? Human rights. Costs. etc etc.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #5978
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see how people will react to this one.

Nurses, CEOs to be given border exemptions under skilled workers plan
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...01-p55r93.html

"Most of the 17 jobs on the new list of workers that businesses will be able to sponsor from overseas relate to the medical industry, including registered nurses, general practitioners, psychiatrists and midwives, but chief executives, construction project managers, mechanical engineers and software engineers also make the list."

Key part of the recovery strategy is going to be migration. I wonder which countries they envisage will be the key players.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #5979
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Victoria this morning barely scraped through on a vote to enable quarantine at all........what chance would there be of a quarantine "farm"? Human rights. Costs. etc etc.
I can’t see how it is significantly harder or more costly overall to implement.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #5980
PhilT2

John Campbell has a new video up on the effectiveness of masks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc&t=354s
tl;dr masks work
Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #5981
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can’t see how it is significantly harder or more costly overall to implement.
I was thinking you'd have to build the "farm" to begin with. Then set up all the catering. Then add transporting people to and from "the farm". And depending on how it was set up, maybe added security. You'd have to keep the people away from each other, so it'd have to be a pretty big area, assuming its flat rather than multi storey buildings.

Do you mean just international arrival quarantine, or do you mean isolation facilities for the sick? I had thought about it...keep the sick away from the healthy. A bit like those zombie movies.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #5982
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I was thinking you'd have to build the "farm" to begin with. Then set up all the catering. Then add transporting people to and from "the farm". And depending on how it was set up, maybe added security. You'd have to keep the people away from each other, so it'd have to be a pretty big area, assuming its flat rather than multi storey buildings.

Do you mean just international arrival quarantine, or do you mean isolation facilities for the sick? I had thought about it...keep the sick away from the healthy. A bit like those zombie movies.
Isn't that called a Concentration camp?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #5983
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hindsight, but, all travelers into Australia should have been out on islands and cleared before having access to the mainland unless there was an exception given (medical etc).

Not sustainable for the long term, but during the start it would have made a huge difference and the cost in retrospec really not that bad.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #5984
PhilT2

Quote:
Quarantine has defined time, usually 14 days, a concentration camp not usually
Also, no gas chambers. But real security guards.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #5985
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well...if you define the hotels as concentration camps. Only difference is they are dispersed as oppose to centralised.

Was just highlighting the cost differences as someone suggested a "quarantine farm".

You could argue manus and christmas island fall into similar boats, just a different kind of quarantine.

Quote:
Hindsight, but, all travelers into Australia should have been out on islands and cleared before having access to the mainland unless there was an exception given (medical etc).

Not sustainable for the long term, but during the start it would have made a huge difference and the cost in retrospec really not that bad.
They did do that at the start. I think only for the first plane load.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #5986
prydey
Rob

Quote:

To be fair, how much of what has happened/is happening in melbourne is due to returned travellers?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #5987
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

73 new cases for Australia and 5 deaths sees the CMR rise to 2.545% while active drop to 3,659. NSW recorded 13 cases, Queensland recorded 2 cases with the balance in Victoria.

1 4new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.256% and active cases rise to 132.

The UK had 1,295 new cases and as we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines we are going to ignore those figures.

Just over 42k new cases in the USA yesterday and 512 deaths sees CMR drop to 3.020% and active cases drop to 41.4% with the raw numbers still rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA drops below 25% of global cases while Brazil passes 15%;
The USA completes 83M, India 43M, France 7M, Saudi Arabia 5M & Portugal 2M tests;
Sweden reduces total case numbers by 3,700 after bad test kits produce false positives between May and mid August;
Russia passes 1M cases;
Asia passes 7M cases;

Czechia (499) and Libya (658) are the only countries to record a new daily high; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 02-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #5988
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The chart for today compares case percentages and mortality percentages with the population percentages for the seven continents.

Our region is doing OK with 0.49% of the global population but only 0.11% of total cases and 0.08% of total deaths. We also have the lowest case rate per 100k of population with 74.8 and the lowest number of deaths per 100k of population at 1.79.

The worst performing continent is almost hard to call between North & South America. The former has 7.4% of the global population but 28.6% of all cases and 31.7% of all deaths while the latter has 5.4% of the global population but 24.7% of all cases and 23.8% of all deaths. They also have the worst death rates per 100k of population with 47.1 (NA) and 48.4 (SA) as well as the highest case rates per 100k of population at 1,279 and 1,511 respectively.

Europe is also faring poorly with 9.5% of the global population but 13.95% of all cases and 24.2% of all deaths and the 448 cases / 100k and 488 deaths / 100k are the 3rd worst overall.

Africa appears to be doing OK but there is probably a reasonable level of under-reporting and Asia is performing better than the population size would suggest.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #5989
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
To be fair, how much of what has happened/is happening in melbourne is due to returned travellers?
It depends on how you look at it. Almost all of the cases (>95%) in this second Victorian wave have been traced back to a small group of returned travellers (3 at the start of one cluster and 2 in another) but if the quarantine had actually been a quarantine rather than whatever it ended up being then they wouldn't have mattered.

You could equally blame the security guards or hotel staff that then took the infection back out into the wider community and were thus responsible for all but those 5 cases.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #5990
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Australia’s first recession in 30 years confirmed as economy plunges due to virus.

The Australian economy has officially entered into a recession with the latest national accounts figures confirming the worst contraction since the Second World War.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/au...013323083.html

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 02-09-2020 at 02:00 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #5991
leesa

Time to put those investment properties up for sale, people. The trough is running dry

Old 02-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #5992
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Time to put those investment properties up for sale, people. The trough is running dry
Dont know whether to pop the champagne or cry. Ill sip my beer instead.

Reset well overdue, but not this hard.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #5993
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Not the experience where I live. Houses, at all sorts of price ranges (from say $200k to circa $1M) are selling like hot cakes. Not sure whether it is in an influx of green-changers or the very low vacancy rate for rental properties in this area that is driving this, but most reasonable priced places are selling (under offer) within a week of being listed.

Makes it hard when you're in the market for a new place.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #5994
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Australia’s first recession in 30 years confirmed as economy plunges due to virus.

The Australian economy has officially entered into a recession with the latest national accounts figures confirming the worst contraction since the Second World War.

*Rubs hands together*

This is where the corporates start cutting inventory and availability goes out the window - perfect opportunity to grab market share from corporate overlords who'll start slashing costs everywhere and **** off their customers.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #5995
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
and so will the welfare handouts and other knock off effects/supports if so - your special eh.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 02-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #5996
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
*Rubs hands together*

This is where the corporates start cutting inventory and availability goes out the window - perfect opportunity to grab market share from corporate overlords who'll start slashing costs everywhere and **** off their customers.
So long as demand continues at the same rate, as consumer discretionary spending falls with the recession.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #5997
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It depends on how you look at it. Almost all of the cases (>95%) in this second Victorian wave have been traced back to a small group of returned travellers (3 at the start of one cluster and 2 in another) but if the quarantine had actually been a quarantine rather than whatever it ended up being then they wouldn't have mattered.

You could equally blame the security guards or hotel staff that then took the infection back out into the wider community and were thus responsible for all but those 5 cases.

I realise Melbourne receive the bulk of international travellers returning but other states do receive international flights and have repatriated many people over the last 6 months without the virus explosion, so it tends to suggest it's what happened after they arrived rather than the fact they came from overseas.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #5998
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

Party like it's 1992!
Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #5999
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
*Rubs hands together*

Totally, Franco. Recessions are awesome times to control outgoings and develop businesses, ideas; develop the products that will be hot items in the next boom.

In some ways its a relief that it's been declared, compared to the constant crush loaded squeeze of the last decade. Even though work and career were horrible in the early 90s, especially when you were just starting out in the workforce, I have many fond memories of what our friend group got up to, the travel, music, waves etc. Prices of everything were cheap and that can't be overemphasised - rent at $70 a week, flats cost $40K (coastal WA - my young one just heard that and said "400K now!") vs $15/hr kicking sheet, etc etc. If prices are allowed to reset, it could be a good time and the astute can position before it ends for the next inflationary boom. If prices aren't allowed to reset, it's going to be painful, especially painful if it all bounces back hard rather than drags on for years.

Last edited by Sprintey; 02-09-2020 at 04:56 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #6000
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
*Rubs hands together*

Good time to cut all the deadwood they couldn't get rid of due to unfair dismissal laws too.

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread