Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Ride Height Issue

After having the lowered Eibach's & Koni's on for around 6 weeks - I have noticed the the rear left is sitting noticeably lower than the rear right!!!

Is there anything, other than springs / shocks which could be affecting this issue??

Will endeavour to put photos up later today!!!

Bit annoyed really - $1000 worth of lowered car stuff and it's not working as it should?!?!

Old 22-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you paid thousand dollars, bit much, im paying 500 for mine and it will lower it 2 inches, on pedders reds springs and shocks

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
you paid thousand dollars, bit much, im paying 500 for mine and it will lower it 2 inches, on pedders reds springs and shocks
As usual you have no idea what you are talking about yet spouting off like you are an expert.
You are comparing chalk with cheese. Koni's and Pedders are leagues apart in quality and
performance. Not saying pedders aren't good because they are but not even close to wat the
OP has purchased.

OP. Mine sits about 4mm lower in the rear left as did the S1 buy
only when it has a full tank of juice.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
T3man
Banned

Hmmm what you pay for is what you get ... mostly. You can't seriously compare Pedders stuff with Eibach and Koni gear. You paid half and were still ripped.

Dave, are you looking at it on level ground? Measured it? If so, then there is definitely a spring issue. I assume this is in your AU ... first thing is to check that the top of the coil (RHS) has not dislodged from the top mount. Sometimes with shortened springs the Konis will allow too much extension and the spring will come away from the top seat when the suspension is fully extended. Then, as the weight comes back down, the spring can be caught on one side of the top mount, thus cocking a little sideways - the car will sit about 15-20mm higher on the side that is affected.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
DW260

My ute is the same. And as 99GHIA mentioned, only with a full tank of juice.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Hmmm what you pay for is what you get ... mostly. You can't seriously compare Pedders stuff with Eibach and Koni gear. You paid half and were still ripped.

Dave, are you looking at it on level ground? Measured it? If so, then there is definitely a spring issue. I assume this is in your AU ... first thing is to check that the top of the coil (RHS) has not dislodged from the top mount. Sometimes with shortened springs the Konis will allow too much extension and the spring will come away from the top seat when the suspension is fully extended. Then, as the weight comes back down, the spring can be caught on one side of the top mount, thus cocking a little sideways - the car will sit about 15-20mm higher on the side that is affected.
Yeah the first time I saw it, I thought it was because I wasn't parked on level ground. However, last night, on RHS am able to fit my fingers (straight out) between the top of the tyre and the guard. On the LHS, the hand won't fit - have to bend the fingers to fit my hand in!

The width of my fingers is about the 15mm mark, so you may be right with regards to what the problem is!!! Many thanks!!

As for frd906's post, first of all thanks to all you other posters for stating the obvious, but just to spell it out in plain English:

I paid $700 for Koni Yellow fully adjustable shocks, which come with a LIFETIME warranty while they are on my car (and I am the owner). Considering these retail for upwards of $1200, I was quite happy to pay a little more for something which is in a totally different class to Pedders.

As far as getting lowered 2 inches, I didn't want my car to scrape over every single speed bump!!! How they sit with the Eibach's is pretty much perfect for me!!!
Old 23-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well it seems to have righted itself again???? Checked it again this morning and it looks the same again!!! Guess I should measure it up just to be sure.....
Old 23-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

I always had the opposite in my old Farimont. The RHS was always lower by about 10mm, looked really awkward sometimes.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i never have any petrol these days so i havent noticed
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
brad`
The Monty

i had the same issue, when i asked a few people on the forums told me that the right side springs are slightly larger compared to the left hand rear springs.. not sure why never could answer that.. but thats all i know

brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
i had the same issue, when i asked a few people on the forums told me that the right side springs are slightly larger compared to the left hand rear springs.. not sure why never could answer that.. but thats all i know

brad`
??? Would that be due to fuel tank or something similar? That seems strange....
Old 25-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
??? Would that be due to fuel tank or something similar? That seems strange....
To compensate for the weight of the driver.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think T3man could be on the right track, to see if the spring is loose or not you need the suspension hanging and the car supported by the the rails or irs frame, only needs to be an inch of the ground, on stands would be preferable .....we don`t want any accidents , then grab the spring and feel if it is secure or not , if its floating around i would be taking it back Dave.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
To compensate for the weight of the driver.
That would be the one.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well since my OP, every time I've checked it, it seems to be all even again......also at no stage has the actual ride quality felt any different......going over bumps etc.....false alarm hopefully!
Old 26-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Dave, I was told ages ago that the RHS was always higher due to the driver being in the car. Once you sit in the car, to everyone else the car would sit level. Thoughts?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

could well be......it was only the rear end that I noticed and discernable height difference.....though every time I look at it, it's level again!!! Must have been uneven ground or something....
Old 26-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know this is a bit off the track but my AU wagon has reset springs from pedders and they set the drivers side about 1-1.5cm higher to compnsate the driver. This is also how they were when i took them out of my car before they had ever been touched.
If only i could afford some koni's and a IRS set up for the good old wagon...

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post