Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Squeaky suspension.

Hey all,
I have recently put H/Duty Super Lows in the rear of my AU falcon. Problem is they squeak excessively. Will the squeak die down in time, or is there any spray/grease i could apply to them to quieten them down. They are H/D and i dont carry much weight, but when loaded up they dont squeak as much, but obviously i dont wont to be carrying excess weight just to keep the suspension quiet. Not sure if its the springs, or top shock rubbers that are making all the commotion. Any ideas??
Thanks for your time.
Mont5.0

Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Exact same thing with mine mate when i lowered mine on pedders springs. Pretty sure IIRC the bloke said it was mount rubbers. I ve tried to live with it and turn the radio up. Cant hear too much of it now with my exhaust lol Bob jane told me there round the 100 mark to replace. Hasnt worried me too much so ive left it. Hope this helps mate

cheers frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Most squeaking is usually caused by dust getting into the bushes and is annoying as hell cos there's nothing you can do but put new bushes in . The surefire way to tell is if the squeaking tends to ease up or go away completely when you go for a drive in the rain. Reason being, moisture gets into the bush as well and acts like a lubricant shutting everything up but as soon as it all dries out the squeak comes back. You can tell a farmers car or someone who lives up a dirt road for this very reason, they'll all eventually develop a squeak. I know this because firstly, I used to do 20km a day on dirt in my milk truck and it squeaked like a bastid until it rained then all was quiet plus recently I moved out of town and am now 1.5km off the black top and it only took 2 months for both our cars to develop squeaks. You just have to live with it unfortunately or spend the money and change the bushes.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr auxr8
Exact same thing with mine mate when i lowered mine on pedders springs. Pretty sure IIRC the bloke said it was mount rubbers. I ve tried to live with it and turn the radio up. Cant hear too much of it now with my exhaust lol Bob jane told me there round the 100 mark to replace. Hasnt worried me too much so ive left it. Hope this helps mate

cheers frank
yours is IRS frank? If so, mine is different. I have live axle rear.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Most squeaking is usually caused by dust getting into the bushes and is annoying as hell cos there's nothing you can do but put new bushes in .

Bushbasher
Hmmm. Interesting, as it has squeaked from the day i had it put in. Just cant imagine there would be to much dust from workshop to car park (outside of workshop). It is live axle, not IRS.
Thanks guys for your replies. Dont think it is the bushes, stil squeaks rain hail or shine : Any ways will keep trying to work it out.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Don't discount the dust just yet. consider this. If there was a bit of dust in just one spot in the bush but it wasn't a point of pressure it might not squeak. Then you lower the car and all of a sudden the pressure point changes as the angles have all changed. All it takes is a small amount of dust in one spot around the bush to cause the noise. If the car's never been offroad then it probably won't be dust but after the car is a couple of years old and the bushes have worn a little and bedded in, as it were, all it would take is a long dirt driveway in and out every day or something similar like regular trips to the local whatever that has a dirt road and you have the your potential dust problem right there. Either way, the only thing that can squeak is something that moves and in this case can only be the pivot points of the trailing arms where the bushes are or the shock bushes or shocks themselves although it'd be pretty rare for a shock seal to make that sort of noise. my money would still be on some contaminant in one of the bushes.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

well if i undo my trailing arm bushes and grease them up this may help?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Probably not as the dust will be between the rubber and the inner or outer steel sleeve of the bush so you'd need to get the bush out of the trailing arm for a start then press out the inner sleeve and/or outer...........oh wait, once you've gone that far you might as well toss them and put new ones in. The only quick fix that might work for a while is soak the bushes in penatrene or something but ultimately it'll dry up too and you,re back where you started so we're back to option 1 again, toss 'em and start again. Pay the $100 to change the bushes or just turn up the sterio so you don't hear it. I've learned to ignore my queaky front end.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

LOL. yep stereo is my cure. just a bit hard when wife is in car!- but hey No Naggin, No squeaks- Loud stereo FTW. cheers- bushbasher! lol
Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Could be the swaybar D bushes or link bushes at the end need some lubrication. I also agree with mr auxr8 that it could be the spring rubbers. I also had the smae issue when I lowered the SR and checked all these think plus the top of the shock towers - make sure they are tight.

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
yours is IRS frank? If so, mine is different. I have live axle rear.
Ahh yes mine is IRS. Sorry didnt realise urs wasnt.

Cheers Frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3XSR
Could be the swaybar D bushes or link bushes at the end need some lubrication. I also agree with mr auxr8 that it could be the spring rubbers. I also had the smae issue when I lowered the SR and checked all these think plus the top of the shock towers - make sure they are tight.
Read post, its the rear champ not the front.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

yep, am talking about the rear...

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3XSR
yep, am talking about the rear...
ok sorry.Just when u said D bushes and sway bar i thought you meant the front. i dont have a rear sway bar.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I thought there was still a rear sway bar but not a very big one.

Like you Mont I have a squeaky suspension but its mainly coming from the front. I know when I get to lower my car, Im gonna try and grease up all the areas prior to fitting things back in just in case. I cant stand squeaky suspension.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont