Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Finally Had The Car Dyno'd

Adelaide Cruizn Fords had their first dyno day today and I decided to go along, and after a bit of throwing round the whole "should I, shouldn't I" I bit the bullet and decided what the hell, may as well get a readout so I've got something to work on with future mods.

Now my car is mechanically stock, save for a cat back exhaust which was only put on because the factory system was about to fall off.

The car has done about 142,000kms and is about 2,000km's overdue for a service, so I really wasn't expecting heaps. My prediction was anywhere from 95 to 110kw at the wheels.

Needless to say I was extremely surprised and happy when it pulled 132.5rwkw! Very happy with this and can't wait to save enough cash to keep modding it and maybe hopefully even try crack the 150 mark next dyno day!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Generous dyno!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Either

a) Freak!

or

b) JMM - like dyno

Hopefully it is (a)!

Mine dyno'd at 131 or 132 with extractors, 2.5" exhaust, 3" intake, ambi pur plug in, 110W Off Road Globes, K&N Sticker and CMS Stg2 Cam (before tune) on 98 RON (Never driven on anything else!)

Final Tune FINALLY next week

Hoping 140rwkw and close to 400rwnm

On a dynodynamics dyno, i will be looking at over 150rwkw

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Dyno'd at HPT?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

you really should post up your readout aswell

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
johnny351
used to be johnny260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Either

a) Freak!

or

b) JMM - like dyno

Hopefully it is (a)!

Mine dyno'd at 131 or 132 with extractors, 2.5" exhaust, 3" intake, ambi pur plug in, 110W Off Road Globes, K&N Sticker and CMS Stg2 Cam (before tune) on 98 RON (Never driven on anything else!)

Final Tune FINALLY next week

Hoping 140rwkw and close to 400rwnm

On a dynodynamics dyno, i will be looking at over 150rwkw
whats wrong with JMMs dyno i had my car done and it seemed fine
johnny351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

squid ink and dynos have similar significance. They both cloud your perception so you dont know what is really going on. The true dyno is the racetrack. No need to bag peoples dyno figures as they are all pretty much different

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In saying that though, a good setup with awesome set of gears, good stall and some slick driving can yield a half a second on alot of cars, some maybe more.

it can often be mistaken as alot more hp, a drag is only and acceleration race. Though i rather a good time then a readout, also much more fun. :

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Dyno'd at HPT?
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
you really should post up your readout aswell
Will do later - need to boot up the other PC which has the scanner attached. Perhaps if I get some time during the daylight hours of Sunday.

To tell the truth I'm really itching to get it on a couple more dynos for a couple more readouts just to see how much difference there really is now.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
squid ink and dynos have similar significance. They both cloud your perception so you dont know what is really going on. The true dyno is the racetrack.
Sorry mate, but this is just so wrong.

Dynos are powerful tuning tools and in the right hands are extremely valuable for extracting power from all sorts of places.

The race track is just that, a place to race.
Tuning is much more difficult on a race track due to many other variables.
Tuning on a dyno is much easier as it reduces the amount of variables.

You shouldn't tarnish a dynos reputation because you had problems. You used a different dyno every day of the week, yet expected consistant results.

If you use the same dyno all the time with a decent operator, you will have great success.

Having said all of that, yes different dynos in different locations under different conditions with different operators will show different results.
That's not the dynos fault.

Different race tracks in different locations with different drivers will also show different results.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I found Bruces' dyno and dyno setup quite cynical when hes tuning at least....

The whole case for those that take affront to dyno numbers rests on either crap dynos or incorrectly setup dynos....

Either you do have a freak or just a correction factor slipped between a series of cars going on and off the thing. Either way, frame your chart and enjoy ;)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
The Mighty Red

Yeah thats a huge number for a stocko even moreso not being a Tickford engine....My XR6 with Paccies ,MetalCat ,full Zorst and CAI pulled 130rwkw.
enjoy it lol ,you just might have the most powerful stock AU in the country ;)
Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Sorry mate, but this is just so wrong.

Dynos are powerful tuning tools and in the right hands are extremely valuable for extracting power from all sorts of places.

The race track is just that, a place to race.
Tuning is much more difficult on a race track due to many other variables.
Tuning on a dyno is much easier as it reduces the amount of variables.

You shouldn't tarnish a dynos reputation because you had problems. You used a different dyno every day of the week, yet expected consistant results.

If you use the same dyno all the time with a decent operator, you will have great success.

Having said all of that, yes different dynos in different locations under different conditions with different operators will show different results.
That's not the dynos fault.

Different race tracks in different locations with different drivers will also show different results.
I am so glad you posted Sox..I kinda miss the chats..hehe

Mate , dynos are a great tuning tool..we all know that.However I learnt long ago that when my fellow au counterparts get a car dynoed in say wa and then another in say tasmania then the dyno readouts cant be compared between the 2 so the figure is not really a true representation of the cars performance on that basis.

The track ,et and mph are a reliable indicator of power output for a pb.Tuning is a time consuming process where you really need to drive the car to see the real life results..is the throttle response bettter? Did the cars timeslip show better time interval gains after tuning? These are the true test of the result. A dyno is a usefull tool but it is only as good as the real life result independant of the numbers strictly between different dynos.

I am not rubbishing dynos at all.Many people have been given big numbers from dyno readings only to find that the car cannot pull correspondng times at the track for the power given. In saying that they are a darn safe and effective tool to see where there are flatspots,leanouts and torque characteristics of a car for improvement.
cheers

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Anybody else get sick of all the raectrack talk? I drive a car that was built to carry stuff (not that it ever will). It's about as close to a racecar as I am to being gay - so far off it's not funny. Why would I therefore want to make it go faster round a track?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yep, i'm with you b2tf.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

The track is a good indicator for those who go. Daily driving duties will put the best and worse tuning jobs to the test for others Austin. No worries mate I got the hint.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
The Mighty Red

Quote:
No worries mate I got the hint.

I'm confused :
Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny260
whats wrong with JMMs dyno i had my car done and it seemed fine
They are pretty notorious for getting cars to pull big numbers which cant be replicated on any other dyno

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
johnny351
used to be johnny260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
They are pretty notorious for getting cars to pull big numbers which cant be replicated on any other dyno
well i hope they didnt do that with my xr8 cause im mates with his son but jim is a bit of a shifty bugger
johnny351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
The Monty
Just slidin'

Now lets see a 1/4 mile slip, lol.
I run 14's, but can only muster 133 kw.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I am so glad you posted Sox..I kinda miss the chats..hehe
Ya, so do I : I don't get enough time to read everything and then post.
Quote:
Mate , dynos are a great tuning tool..we all know that.However I learnt long ago that when my fellow au counterparts get a car dynoed in say wa and then another in say tasmania then the dyno readouts cant be compared between the 2 so the figure is not really a true representation of the cars performance on that basis.
Yer, I think that's understood by most.
Quote:
The track ,et and mph are a reliable indicator of power output for a pb.
And this is where I disagree.
Track times are no better indicator for people who are interstate sharing timeslips.
Too many variables which can have a dramatic effect on ET's and terminal speed.
Traction, temperature, driver ability, clutch condition, transmission condition, track surface, and plenty of other things. Some drag strips are just capable of producing better numbers than others.

So the consistency of a drag strip is no better than a dyno, state to state.
Quote:
Tuning is a time consuming process where you really need to drive the car to see the real life results..is the throttle response bettter? Did the cars timeslip show better time interval gains after tuning? These are the true test of the result.
No, it's just ANOTHER test.
Quote:
A dyno is a usefull tool but it is only as good as the real life result independant of the numbers strictly between different dynos.
Of course, and that's why the same dyno and operator should be used throughout any tuning.
Quote:
I am not rubbishing dynos at all.
Well you didn't say anything good about them in your first post in this thread.
And the reality is, they are a superb piece of engineering when used correctly.
Quote:
Many people have been given big numbers from dyno readings only to find that the car cannot pull correspondng times at the track for the power given.
And why do you blame the dyno for that? What's to say the driver has a clue how to drag his car to it's peak?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
5L
[ 5L ]

this was done on a respectable dyno. some of the power figures seem a bit high, most were about right though and some were low for there mods. dynos are funny things.
i wasnt there but know majority of the cars, i wouldnt worry too much about it though it is a good readout and shows your motor is healthy.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I was there at this dyno day and saw what Rik pulled. None of us could believe it either and even Bruce did say it was a high number but said the AU2's were a good breathing motor.

I admit, there is an element of skepticism, but also a mark of promise from my part as I have a car nearly identical to Rik's in model and year. I hope my car can perform as well as riks did when the next dyno day comes. :P

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we all own fords and are well aware of the strange thing they do to the cars. Who's to say it hasn't been fitted with a better head with bigger valves just cause they had it lying around. Look what theydid with the rpo83's, all fitted with phase 4 running gear. My au1 xr makes the same power as this and it's been called a freak cause it's only got a cat back but it's done over 250000km. It's had 2 power runs on different dynos on 2 very different days, one was 40 degrees and the other was 25. Let's face it some of us just get healther cars than others. I think mine was put together on a wednesday as the old saying goes
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
The Monty
Just slidin'

His is auto, Im assuming yours is as well? 135kw should be weilding a 14 second pass at the track in auto form, I dont really think we can have the AU and the rpo 83 in the same context. What would be the better head, or valves, there were no superseded models to get them off, they would have had to have been custom made, and Ford would not have done that at all.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #26
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no the au is no comparison for the rpo but surely you catch my meaning. My au is actually a manual and my 15.3 run was when the car was completely stock, even down to the original and very ratshit 10yr old exhaust and I'd only had the car 24hrs. It had 225000km on it then.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just as a matter of intrest my xr6 has same mileage, done on a dyno 2 weeks ago, my little brother took it to a toyota day , i was`nt really fussed to be honest at the time but i`am pretty happy its still making decent power since 50k ago since the last dyno, mine is similar stock except for 3" exhaust through to extractors, out side air temp was 26 degrees running e10 fuel, set up run made 123 kw final run made 127.2 kw, 1`m wondering if running premium instead of e10 would have made any difference?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #28
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most probly would have. I always run mine on bp ultimate. I wouldn't put e10 in my bastard neighours lawn mower. I know the 3inch exhaust debate has been covered but maybe it's half an inch to big for a basicly stock car.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

i know rik was using premium 98ron fuel when he made that run. perhaps that helped his readout a little bit.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 AM   #30
The Monty
Just slidin'

I run a three inch, and nothing but E10 for the last 2 and a half 3 years.