Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
cm29579

Default Exhaust Question for '01 XR6

Recently bought this car with a standard exhaust. My previous car was an ED XR6 with a 2.5" sports (all I can remember from the rec't was SP250, and $465). Anyway, I notice the new car labours a little up hills (unless you boot it) and doesn't have a good airflow at all, sometimes changing gears mid climb, which is damn annoying.

How big a difference would a decent, $500 range exhaust make on the AU? I really notice the difference from my ED, things like hills, also when you rev reasonably hard then drop off the accelerator (ed = good constant roll, AU = a big pullback on the car), and gearing.....where I found the sports exhaust made the gearbox much more punchy and reactive, where the AU is sedate (no matter econ/adaptive shift/perf modes).

Any help would be good.

cm29579 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
sly
Sly like a G6

Suggest investing a few minutes to drop your cat and see if it has collapsed, blocking your exhaust. Do you know what oil is in it? Too heavy a grade can take a surprising amount of edge off the performance. Not to forget the usual basics - plugs, leads, filters etc.

Once happy with these, consider $600 or so for a flash tuner with generic 98-octane tune as an alternative to the exhaust. At least 2 site sponsors offer these, you can find out more in the sponsors' forums.

The conventional wisdom used to be that you did mods then got a flash tuner and had it custom-tuned on the dyno. Fair enough when a flash tuner cost $995 and tuning was only custom done on the dyno, 2-4 hours @ $125/hr. With the availability of generic tunes these days you can eat your cake and have it too. Enjoy the extra power & torque of a 98-octane tune, add your mods over time, then get a custom dyno tune done to optimise the mods.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the subject of exhaust i'd go redback and if you can afford it a decent set of extractors. i have advance on my car as they tend to deliver more down low others like pacemaker but they make their power higher up
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post