Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Default Are we (Australia) becomming too american?

Maybe I am getting old and cranky, I know in myself i am even starting to sound like my father. I was walking through the Brisbane Queen st mall today, I noticed shops like tiffany's, louis Vitton, and I start to notice shows on Foxtel like "My Super Sweet 16", OMG does that not just show every little paris hilton wanna be that can chuck a tantrum and get their parents to cough up anywhere from $100,000 to $500,000 for a friggin 16th birthday party??????????? It bewilders me how any sane parent rich or not would by a 16 year old a $100,000 car for a 1st car. If you must get your kid a new car for a first car get a cheap small one as you know the chances of them wrecking it are very high anyway. Then shows like Viva La Bam, just showing how if you have enough money you can disrespect anyone...even your parents that are stupid enough to give you the money. I know these are only shows on TV but are these the role models we want our kids to become?

God I read this back and I sound like a mad man just rambling but this sort of stuff is just becomming more and more every day.....I guess I am scared that with all the capitalisim going on around its gunna be a mighty big bubble that bursts when it does. It seems the younger generation has never had to go without or found it hard to get work, (evident by the amount of jobs advertised) I was always taught to hold on to your job for secuirty, last hired first fired type thing. I used to hear how tough it was in the depression, and no I never lived through that, but I sure as hell did live through Paul Keatings Rescession we had to have, things were pretty tight for quite a while. I truly feel with all the above type influnces on Australia the younger generation are going to be the ones that cop the brunt of what it is like when things do get tough again. From every economist I have heard predictions such as the jobs boom will blow out before much longer. I would like for anyone to tell me they have the same kind of worries as I do or am I really just going mad? :

Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Unfortunately I think we are. Its all their crappy pop culture and shitty trend setting that everyone seems to have to copy. Like the current crappy emo trend for example, and the next ridiculous trends to follow. I feel most sorry for younger people.

But the thing I would like to agree with you 7 billion percent on, is what is stated in your sig about DODO. **** I hate them. Every time I see that silly ***** Tara Reid on the tv advertising for them I want to break it.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Yeah,

Wanna-be "hommies" are popping up in my school all the time, kinda funny when the clothes they're wearing ($60 for T/ Polos shirts, $100-200 for pants, $100-200 shoes) are so unpracitical, especially since there familys are so poor. Its all part of American culture though, just posers.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Citizen
My other car is a car

Sounds more like you're having a go at spoiled kids rather than America's cultural influence on us...

Personally i grew up in a lower middle class family. We came across pretty tight times ourselves particularly following my parents' separation. I often had to lend my mum money for her to buy basics like petrol. Got my first job flipping burgers soon as i turned 15 and have paid for my own food, clothes etc ever since (everything but housing expenses - still living with parents). I'm now 18. I paid for my first and second cars with money i saved from working, a few of my friends had their parents buy them their first cars but they were nothing insane, maybe $15k at the most.

So it's not really fair that you should say the younger generation has never had to go without, the people you are talking about are the upper class and they have always existed.

Reality TV is hardly a good foundation for anyone to base their views about society in general on, and just because the kids on MTV are rich doesn't mean that every other kid in the country has three butlers waiting on them.

EA Fairmont Ghia 5sp Manual

Dual Fuel
Extractors & 2.5" Cat-back exhaust
Herrod stage 2 cam
XH snorkel, K&N panel filter

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And the alternative is?

Where are the aussie influence worth taking on board?

Im not saying its a good thing, but Australia doesn't really have its "own culture". There are so many different cultures wrapped up in one its almost impossible to define what is Australian.

You see alot of Yank stuff because they have the cash to market and flaunt it, why do people wear Nikes? Whats wrong with good old Dunlops? Promoted image perhaps...I think $$$ has more to do with it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

With the majority of popular TV shows originating from the US, do we have a chance?

I heard it said recently, that the youth of today have had a lot given to them, as their parents were victims of the recession, and didn't want their kids to go through the same thing. That would make it easy to take things for granted.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen
Sounds more like you're having a go at spoiled kids rather than America's cultural influence on us...

Personally i grew up in a lower middle class family. We came across pretty tight times ourselves particularly following my parents' separation. I often had to lend my mum money for her to buy basics like petrol. Got my first job flipping burgers soon as i turned 15 and have paid for my own food, clothes etc ever since (everything but housing expenses - still living with parents). I'm now 18. I paid for my first and second cars with money i saved from working, a few of my friends had their parents buy them their first cars but they were nothing insane, maybe $15k at the most.

So it's not really fair that you should say the younger generation has never had to go without, the people you are talking about are the upper class and they have always existed.

Reality TV is hardly a good foundation for anyone to base their views about society in general on, and just because the kids on MTV are rich doesn't mean that every other kid in the country has three butlers waiting on them.
I can see your point of view, but I think I am generalising to generation Y is what i am getting at. For instance I work in a Coporate atmosphere for an insuarnce company, you see the younger ones 18-24 staying for no longer than 6 - 12 months (once again a generalistion) and compare that to the older staff that have started around the same time the younger ones did, they move on for an extra $1000 or so and do the same at the next job. I understand wanting to better yourself, but what I am getting at is when the bubble does burst and Jobs become hard again, if you are one of the newest where you work, you will be first to go. It seems to be the mind set of the younger geneartion, that is what i am getting at. As for the shows, it is the role models set for this 'lifestyle' because the money just won't every run out in that mindset.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Becoming?

We're a snapshot of America 6 years prior and have been for as long as I can remember. However, your rant seems to have little to do with becoming American and a lot to do with people throwing money at their kids and them having it easier than you did.

Good luck to them I say. Never gone without or not finding it hard to get work should be a goal for society yet you seem peeved that it's been somewhat achieved. Life doesn't have to be about suffering unless you're in some religious cult. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I couldn't believe my ears once when I saw a shop in Sydney advertising on the TV. They expressed how large their floor space was..... IN SQUARE FEET!

What a joke. No doubt this was to probably make the floor area seem bigger seeing as it's around 10 sq feet to the sq metre.

I'm a primary school teacher, and am forever trying to fix the students "Americanisms".....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
all4ford
XW 351

I think Australia has always followed America's lead. I think basically any democratic country has. Trends are just that "trends", they'll come and go and come back again. lol.

As for spoilt rich kids, good for them, the money will eventually dry up within their family if they never teach them how to manage it and then it will just be their own bad luck. If I was a multimillionaire, why wouldn't I buy my kid a $100,000 first car? It just wouldn't seem like much money in the scheme of things.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Are we (Australia) becomming too american?
I beleive thats all relative to your perspective...

Even the Yanks stand up for certain things they beleive in...
we just get rolled time and time again...

Do American motorists have to put up with the amount of speed cameras and anti-hooning laws that we do ?

I think not !
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
FestivaFan

Hi Yaw,

Perhaps it is age relevant! I'm going got be 53 this year and have thought for a long time that we should be pursuing a tie with our heritage, eg: England and Europe and not the Americans.

I didn't grow up in the depression but like you I grew and worked through the Hawk/Keating years, Our family have always been working class and I'm damn proud of that fact.

Grew up around Redfern/Paddo as a Kid and then moved to Newcastle until my teens then roamed this great country for a few years until going back to Maroubra.

I have a 19 year old step sun and 17.5 step daughter who cant get enough of the American crap served up to us on a daily basis, My 9 year old is not and will not be so influced!

At the end of the day, it's what YOU are personaly going to take a stand against and a commitment to. How you raise your family and teach them to buy Australian and support Australian ideals.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
Nate07

I am ashamed of my generation and what they are becoming.

This Viva-la bam show is ridiculous. All that bastard has done is roll around on his board with wheels and he has earned all this money, and spends it on playing stupid jokes and destroying stuff.

We are becoming American. It has to stop.
Nate07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Australia isn't BECOMING too Ummerikan, it already IS too American.

What, you guys thought that the US helping us out in WW2 and the subsequent defence treaties signed (known and unknown) came without a catch; that they did it all out of goodwill. We, as a nation became their lapdog at the end of WW2.

You all thought that all the newest trends from the US came out here so quickly back in the mid 50's by chance and coincidence; freeways, drive in theatres, TV (and the rubbish that spews from it in increasing quantity), shopping malls, fast food (a la Maccas, KFC and the ilk), the list goes on.

The "American" culture is about endless consumerism; always wanting the newest and trendiest thingy on the market and all bought on credit. It sickens me to no end.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I couldn't believe my ears once when I saw a shop in Sydney advertising on the TV. They expressed how large their floor space was..... IN SQUARE FEET!

What a joke. No doubt this was to probably make the floor area seem bigger seeing as it's around 10 sq feet to the sq metre.

I'm a primary school teacher, and am forever trying to fix the students "Americanisms".....
The day we go to the imperial system is the day I step in front of a truck that is going 100km/h

I'm starting to hear more and more use of inches and feet.

As a side note - We drive cars who's design is controlled by America at the end of the day.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
Citizen
My other car is a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
The day we go to the imperial system is the day I step in front of a truck that is going 100km/h
Don't you mean 60mph?

EA Fairmont Ghia 5sp Manual

Dual Fuel
Extractors & 2.5" Cat-back exhaust
Herrod stage 2 cam
XH snorkel, K&N panel filter

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As a side note - We drive cars who's design is controlled by America at the end of the day.
We were imperial at one stage.

I've had to deal with a lot of older customers where imperial is the norm. With cars its the same story too. If its Jap its metric same with Euro's as well. If its a Yankee car, you'd better get your fractions right!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

No you are not getting old, , you are just Maturing and becoming a realist.

Its like the people that watch big brother....

I recall watching the first ever series, , Maybe 7 years ago, I cant remember. Yeah back then I was under 30 and that show was ok..

But now its the worst RUBBISH on the planet.

I dont think the show has changed, , I think I have !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:

Do you think in terms of acres for area? If so, start stepping in front of that truck then.

I'm 23 and I've always used feet and inches. Mainly because my dad is 73 and I quickly learnt that telling him he had 20cm space to reverse was always going to end in disaster. I also have a working knowledge of L/S/D.

Interestingly, you could argue that metrification (is that a word?) is responsible for a large loss of mental thinking. Imperial teaches you to think (and remember) in peculiar patterns for specific figures not everything to the power of ten. Look at how many people struggle to add up the cost of a coffee and hamburger without a calculator or register.

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Real Australia what everyone talks about was before we started multicultrulism and we had your tipical Aussie dero etc.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man I am so over the inferiority complex a lot of Australian have, and having to compare it to America all the time. They have similarities, they have differences. Deal with it, get over it, talk to a psychologist if you have to, but if we get rid of every similarity with America, we would have nothing! (and we would be still influenced by America) All I hear from Americans about Australia, is how much they want to come here. It's so embarrassing for us if they do, because so many Aussies whinge about America every day! Why can't Australians have a positive attitude? It is so much cooler than whinging about some place ya don't even live in. They're both nice countries in my opinion. Melbourne and Sydney are both great places you dont have to hate other places, fetching days, when are people gonna get out more and stop living in their own little bubble?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #22
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The yanks are moving to metric, most yank state DMV's (websites) have 'metric educational pages' etc.

US road signage is becoming more 'internationalised', and in recent years we have seen Canadian roads now posted in km/h using international speed sign design (red circle). US domestic cars most often have 'combo' km/h-mph speedometers now,- helps folk to adjust and understand.

Outside that .. well . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #23
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I think this is all very one sided. If any one behaves remotely american its claimed Australia has lost any culture it had and we will soon become another american state.

Australia has heaps of culture. In the UK there are actually entire communities where kids started to speak with Australian accents, with out ever comming over to Australia. Too much Neighbors and Home and away! Imagine how ****ed off the parents would be!

Steve Irwin, I bet in an american shopping centre you can find a kid dressed up and pretending to be Steve Irwin. Karki yackka shorts and shirts. I bet half the kids could sing the songs from the wiggles. People do buy dry-za-bone coats and Akubra hats and see them as very Australian. People in the UK pretend to be Australian, buying surf boards and ripcurl/billabong gear even tho they don't surf, but like the image.

Australia does bloody well at having a rampant culture thats able to displace local cultures internationally due to its desirability. Care free, relaxed, better priorities, physical activity are highly desireable traits.

I would say outside of the US culture, Australia would have to be one of the strongest at imperialising other cultures.

Australia has always been insecure. We feel like an island and the whole world is just outside ready to invade and destroy everything. We don't have to worry about that, Australia does plenty of destroying ourselves.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Falcon Freak
Banned

Take a look at the language used on this forum by the junior members and you will see that we are well on our way to becoming the 51st state of the USA.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and we are even using their spelling as normal here, things like organize instead of organise

We are definetly too American here and it is giving me the shits.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #26
Falcon Freak
Banned

Another example of American influences is what I call outism:

Quote:
If it is a 72 model, then they are 1 plate cars.
If you dont want to show details on the open forum, PM me some info and I can help you out.
The correct term is "I can assist you".

FF
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
XR8Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Maybe I am getting old and cranky, I know in myself i am even starting to sound like my father. I was walking through the Brisbane Queen st mall today, I noticed shops like tiffany's, louis Vitton, and I start to notice shows on Foxtel like "My Super Sweet 16", OMG does that not just show every little paris hilton wanna be that can chuck a tantrum and get their parents to cough up anywhere from $100,000 to $500,000 for a friggin 16th birthday party??????????? It bewilders me how any sane parent rich or not would by a 16 year old a $100,000 car for a 1st car. If you must get your kid a new car for a first car get a cheap small one as you know the chances of them wrecking it are very high anyway. Then shows like Viva La Bam, just showing how if you have enough money you can disrespect anyone...even your parents that are stupid enough to give you the money. I know these are only shows on TV but are these the role models we want our kids to become?

God I read this back and I sound like a mad man just rambling but this sort of stuff is just becomming more and more every day.....I guess I am scared that with all the capitalisim going on around its gunna be a mighty big bubble that bursts when it does. It seems the younger generation has never had to go without or found it hard to get work, (evident by the amount of jobs advertised) I was always taught to hold on to your job for secuirty, last hired first fired type thing. I used to hear how tough it was in the depression, and no I never lived through that, but I sure as hell did live through Paul Keatings Rescession we had to have, things were pretty tight for quite a while. I truly feel with all the above type influnces on Australia the younger generation are going to be the ones that cop the brunt of what it is like when things do get tough again. From every economist I have heard predictions such as the jobs boom will blow out before much longer. I would like for anyone to tell me they have the same kind of worries as I do or am I really just going mad? :
Yes, you are becoming Old and Cranky, but I think you are also jealous of other people's prosperity

You seem to be one of these communist supporters, if so then you are evil and should be condemned capitalisim is what makes the world keep spinning and is the reason you get to go home to your carpet floors, soft beds, hot shower and big screen TV, without this we All would be living a much more deprived life style, it provides every person with the opportunity to live there life without working if they so decide or give them any physical posession they could ever want.

One thing the human is designed to do both physically and emotionally is adapt, we have lived through elation and depression for thousands of years now and I don't believe the next phase in anyway will destroy humanity

So sit back on your cumfy computer chair, sip your latte and realise how good you have it yourself.
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #28
XR8Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
You are ONLY a teacher, you are payed only to teach all the crap written in text books, you are not payed to drum your own personal beliefs on young susceptible children
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #29
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
You are ONLY a teacher, you are payed only to teach all the crap written in text books, you are not payed to drum your own personal beliefs on young susceptible children
Did you get out of bed from the wrong side this morning?

FF
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #30
XR8Master

No I just have a thing against teachers who think they are some higher supreme. They teach about subjects claming to be experts in their particular field, It is especially annoying on practical subjects ie. IT where I always thought, if they are so good at it why arn't they out doing that themselves ? instead of teaching others about it for $45k a year. but hey thats just my personal opinion, you won't see me drumming it into a class of year 5 students.