Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 16-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Telstar

Telstar has a strange problem. Headlight bulb works on high beam, does not work on low beam. Before anybody says "blown low beam", the bulb is a single filament and works for both high and low beam. The other side works fine. no fuses blown, I have not found out yet if there 2 relays/fuses for the individual low beam circuits but I do not think so.

graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Telstar

so you have tested the globe?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The globe serves both low and high beam with a single filament. Works on high beam but not on low beam. Even the harness and plug have only 2 wires/connections. The connector has power on high beam but not on low beam. There are no blown fuses.
Old 16-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto electrician at Uralla is an idiot. What he told the previous owners was a load! Trial and error showed me that the outer projectors are the low beam and the inboard lights are high beam. He missed the blown outer bulb. All fixed now.
Old 16-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Kryton

Was going to ask you how you think a single filament can work as both high and low beam as it just isnt possible.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Was going to ask you how you think a single filament can work as both high and low beam as it just isnt possible.

Sory wrong BMW do it. My mothers BMW (twin Head lamps) will drop the Hi beam lamp to Low if the (seperate) Lo beam has failed. To still give you a Lo beam on both sides of the car, then switch it back to Hi beam if you turn on your Hi beams.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks bundy, saved me the effort. Was not my thinking, auto electrician at Uralla told the people I bought the car off that story. I have not previously owned a series 2 AX TX5 so did not know until I worked it out. The projector low beam headlights threw me as well. I was thinking they were high beam. A workshop repair manual would be good but they are as rare as rocking horse crap or hens teeth.

Last edited by graham7773; 16-07-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: language
Old 16-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
BMW X5s only have a single fillament park/brake light, 6V for park, 12V for brake.

Or Bi-Xenon lights, has a solenoid to drop the shield for highbeam, goes back up for low beam from a single HID globe on left/right side of the car.

Those are different stories, but it is possible
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post