Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
cammag

Question Auto not selecting 6th.

Hello hello,

When we bought our Mondeo last week, it was a 65km drive home along a highway. I noticed that in “D” and as I accelerated up to 105km/hr the auto was up shifting as it should but would not shift up in to 6th. I manually selected 6th gear and the auto held it.

If I slowed down and in doing so the box changed down to 5th it would not select 6th again when I speed back up to 105km/hr.

Another short highway run yesterday and it was doing the same thing.

I would not have thought of this as normal operation of the tranny. To me it does not seem right, but no such thing as stupid question eh?

Cheers.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

I thought the same about mine when I first got it. Any speed below 100kph and it would not upshift into 6th. 2 months on I have figured that it won't shift up until I exceed 100kph. Get yours up to 110kph and see what it does.
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
cammag

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
cammag

Just went for a quick spin and sure enough it kicked up to 6th at around 108kph. I wonder if that can be changed to 100kph without to much trouble.

Thanks Rapscallion.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its more of an overdrive once Freeway/Highway speeds [110] are maintained hence the better fuel results on theses trips
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm according to the rev counter its in 6th gear well below the 100kph mark! I was on the F5 doing 85kph and was just under 2000 r.p.m.

apstar
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Haven't noticed this myself but will check it out next time I'm on a highway. Just a thought, are you guys driving in performance auto mode? On my BA falcon , in performance auto mode (lever shifted to the left), the tranny still changes on its own but locks out 4th until about 150 km/h. The mondeo has a similar mode with the lever shifted to the right...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that known as an Adaptive Automatic Gearbox

apstar
Old 02-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine does not shift to 6th until 100km/h either. If you move the selector into "Sports" mode it will never select 6th gear.

I also think that it should change to 6th at 80-90km/h in normal "Drive" mode. I thought the diesels might be different due to having more torque?? Mine will plot along happily in 6th (manually selected) at 80km/h and about 1750rpm.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok tested this morning mine will get into 6th gear at 60kph May 08 built

apstar
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
cammag

I went for quick spin before and I was a little suprised. I do not do more that 105kph (in a 100 zone) and at no point would the auto select 6th at that speed.

After Rapscallions post the other day, I went a bit faster to check it out. On the five times I checked the auto selected 6th at about 108kph. It had not selected 6th at any speed less than that.

Today it changed up to 6th at just over the dollar. I went to change in to 6th manually, but it was already there. Pulled over & accelerated away and again it selected 6th by itself.

Problem solved it would seem.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

how do you judge what gear you are in?
Do you knock it over to manual and look on the dash?
I'm off on a drive this weekend, so I'll see when (or if) it goes into sixth. I've never really noticed it, I just set the cruise and forget.
When mine does over 105, I really notice the economy dropping compared to at 100.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
cammag

Nah, I have just been keeping one eye on the tacho to judge the shift points. From memory about 2800rpm to 105kmh in 5th. The revs drop to about 2100 or so for that same speed in 6th.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
cammag

One month on, I have noticed that the auto is still not selecting 6th by itself all the time. I noticed that driving along at 105kph and I slow down and then accelerate back up to speed the auto will select 6th as it should.

I have found that if driving again at 105kph with cruise on and I slow down and press then resume on the cruise the auto will not ever select 6th.

Strange huh? Cruise off it will select 6th - cruise on it will not select 6th.♦

Any one else found something like this?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
scribbly

Mine is almost the opposite.
If I set the cruise for 100kmh and at some point back off then re-enable cruise it changes to 6th as it reaches the 100kmh point.
Whereas if I manually accelerate to 100kmh I have to go slightly over, lift the foot slightly and the vehicle changes to 6th.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post