Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #121
FordFan86
meow

I'm with SGIC, the insurance is under my fathers name on rating one with me put down as 100% driver, he has 31 yrs driving experience, i'm down as driven for a year, im 18. Total premium is $823, my excess is $750 ($400 due to age). No other insurance company would touch me at all. I will be under his name for atleast 5 years now due to having my licence disqualified (appealed and got it back) or i will be paying huge amounts in insurance
Old 27-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #122
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah yep, im RACV, 24, pay $530, and i think $800 excess....

thats with all mods listed to, which i think is a pretty reasonable price.
Old 27-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #123
FordFan86
meow

I think that's pretty good, all under your name is it? my car is 100% stock, probably have to stay that way for a little while now lol
Old 27-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #124
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
This was probably said before, but if it wasn't I'll say it first.

If you own a nice car but can't afford the insurance...then you shouldn't own the car.
Period.

As an absolute minimum, you should have third party fire and theft (which in the perfect world would be compulsory)
Agreed, part of the purchase price of ANY car should be at least 1yrs insurance. Then it should be factored into the running costs, just like fuel and tyres etc.(Damn cars).
Old 27-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #125
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven

If you own a nice car but can't afford the insurance...then you shouldn't own the car.
Period.
ok what if you WIN a car but cant afford insurance for it? (there could be numerous reasons for not being able to afford it - money, appalling driving history, whatever).
i know in most cases if you were reasonably poor you would sell the car anyway but you would still like to drive it before hand.

Last edited by Kryton; 27-03-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 27-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #126
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
His family is liable in the sense they can use his assets to cover costs in the event of death.

And I'm sure they won't have a problem with it anyhow, particularly if they are also not insured, they may have just the same viewpoint.

EDIT: I also feel that if someone has something that is supposedly uninsurable or they simply don't want to insure it, as 'XA Coupe' claims, then perhaps they shouldn't leave it in a vulnerable position for people who drive uninsured to have an accident with easily.

I know if I had something that was valuable to me, no one would have easy access to it, and it certainly wouldn't be left close to the street for someone to hit it, as it would **** me off whether they were insured or not.

An example being my motorbikes, they are only 3rd party property insured, so theft could be a concern.
Where I have them stored and locked up however, I'm definitely not concerned, as I have my own 'insurance policy', and it ain't with an insurance company.

Rick.
What the F##k are you on Sox. How can you be so naive to the fact that you tight **** mate is a selfish inconsiderate self centred ****er for not having AT LEAST third party insurance. And what about you comments to back him up. You say if he dies in an accident that the people that affected can get payed out by his relatives. OH YEH and just watch the lawyers pockets get fatter. But what if your jerk off mate lost control of his car what ever the reason and ploughs (and dies) into a fence or house that belongs to a widowed pensioner that is behind on her insurance. How the F--K is going to be able to afford the cost of repairing here house and the lawyer fees. Do you realise that these law suits take years to resolve and $$$$$ ... If you can not understand the implications you mate can cause by not having some sort of property cover on his vehicles then you are just as bad as he is. sorry if this offends you but your arrogance in this matter deeply offends me and obversely alot of others members on AFF..

Matt
uninsured drivers should lynched

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 27-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #127
LUXO_8
windsor user

pretty much what i was thinking......
Old 28-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #128
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
ok what if you WIN a car but cant afford insurance for it? (there could be numerous reasons for not being able to afford it - money, appalling driving history, whatever).
i know in most cases if you were reasonably poor you would sell the car anyway but you would still like to drive it before hand.
Okay, if you WIN a car you should still only drive it if you can afford to pay for it and insure it.

The sole reason of all of this is that the overhead of owning a car should include the insurance for at least third party fire and theft.

If you are that poor, then save all of your money untill you can afford the rego and insure the car for a year.
Old 28-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #129
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
If you can not understand the implications you mate can cause by not having some sort of property cover on his vehicles then you are just as bad as he is.
I don't see any mention of Sox not understanding the implications of his mate's actions at all.

Whilst it would be unfortunate for someone to lose their valuables in the case of someone who is uninsured -eg his mate - hitting their house, the thing is that their home insurance would cover that incident.

What if the person had no home insurance ??? Well, do we lynch them like we do the people that have no car insurance ?? I'm guessing most people will say no.

As I said before, if his mate can afford to buy himself out of trouble then who cares....at the end of the day if he does the right thing by the other person then what's the harm?

Has Fez and XB.

Old 28-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #130
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
What if the person had no home insurance ??? Well, do we lynch them like we do the people that have no car insurance ?? I'm guessing most people will say no.
No, for those that don't have house or contents insurance, and a disaster strikes (like the Canberra bushfires), we have an appeal, or appeals, to raise money for them. I do not contribute to these appeals, as the option to take insurance on house and contents is there for a reason - in case disaster strikes. Same for car insurance. If you don't have it and you come a gutsa, don't come crying to me for help, sympathy or anything else of a "feeling" nature.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 28-03-2005, 02:21 AM   #131
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I do not contribute to these appeals, as the option to take insurance on house and contents is there for a reason - in case disaster strikes. Same for car insurance. If you don't have it and you come a gutsa, don't come crying to me for help, sympathy or anything else of a "feeling" nature.
Exactly what I think too.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 28-03-2005, 02:25 AM   #132
Dez
Banned

Quote:
its not really the same though....cars are out on the roads surrounded by other cars, moving etc, they can collide. a house is stationary....it wont do any harm to anyone else
Old 28-03-2005, 03:07 AM   #133
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

My opinion is that 3rd party should be compulsory on all cars! It'd be a base cover and then your choice to keep it or move up to full comp but atleast you'd have something to cover you/other drivers.

I've never caused an accident (knock on wood) but if I did - not only would I lose my car but I'd put myself into more debt having to pay for someone else's. Ahhh no thanks, I'll keep paying RACV every month to protect me and other drivers and have piece of mind.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 28-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #134
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't see any mention of Sox not understanding the implications of his mate's actions at all.

Whilst it would be unfortunate for someone to lose their valuables in the case of someone who is uninsured -eg his mate - hitting their house, the thing is that their home insurance would cover that incident.

As I said before, if his mate can afford to buy himself out of trouble then who cares....at the end of the day if he does the right thing by the other person then what's the harm?
GO back to school and learn to read. Then read my post in it's entirety then make a comment.

And by the way I can't seem to remember the last time a house lost control and ran into another house... I might be wrong but you seem to know alot more then I do so maybe you could enlighten me on whether houses when being driven can loose control and damage someone else's property?... Also what are the dangers of the occupants getting injured if they fall asleep whilst in the house?

Matt
uninsured drivers should be beaten with a big stick

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 28-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #135
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
its not really the same though....cars are out on the roads surrounded by other cars, moving etc, they can collide. a house is stationary....it wont do any harm to anyone else
That is correct, when you are in your car you are in charge of 1500-2000+ kgs of moving steel that can at any moment loose control due to any number of cercumstances (ie machinical failure,drivers error,change in road conditions.) then your car becomes a deadly missile...

Matt
Bring in compulsory third party property insurance.

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 28-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #136
XRQTOR
Banned

Lol at Jabba.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #137
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
I do not contribute to these appeals, as the option to take insurance on house and contents is there for a reason - in case disaster strikes.
Yes, but insurance doesn't pay for emergency shelters, food, water and all the support that goes so far, especially when you lose your house, a lifetime's photos and memories, your pets, maybe even a loved one.

Sure the house will be paid for and rebuilt in time, but I'll bet that blanket, meal cup of coffee and a pat on the back helps a hell of a lot.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #138
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Some food for thought to those that don't insure.

A good friend of mine was driving a $500 sh!tter. Did'nt beleive in insurance. Always thought it was someone elses responsibility. They want to drive a nice car? Well they can insure it. That was his attitude.

Well, he ran up the back of a fully restored 56 Chev. Owned by a debt collector for a motorcycle club.

My friend did'nt have a cent to his name. And could'nt (would'nt) pay.

These guys in the motorcycle club hounded him for 5+ years. They made his life hell. He had to move countless times only for them to find him again. The police could'nt do a thing at the time. The gang picked their time, place and means.

They'd walk into his house, ask for the money. No money? Fine, theyd take whatever they could find TV, video, anything worth anything. They'd then gine him a good thrashing. Said they'd be back "sometime" for the rest.

He'd often come home to find the place ransacked along with whatever he was driving at the time destroyed. If he was home that would'nt stop them, just meant he got a beating too.

Like I said, the Police were unwilling to do much about it. Cops don't really want to get involved in gangs. These guys were ruthless. A law unto themselves.

This was about 2 years ago. My friend is still waiting for the next visit, whenever that might be.
Old 28-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #139
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
What the F##k are you on Sox. How can you be so naive to the fact that you tight **** mate is a selfish inconsiderate self centred ****er for not having AT LEAST third party insurance.
I always find it amusing how people are so brave on the internet.....
Quote:
And what about you comments to back him up. You say if he dies in an accident that the people that affected can get payed out by his relatives. OH YEH and just watch the lawyers pockets get fatter.
The lawyers pockets don't need to get fatter. If a settlement for damages is met and paid, then the only way a lawyers pocket will get fatter is if the victim gets greedy.
Quote:
But what if your jerk off mate lost control of his car what ever the reason and ploughs (and dies) into a fence or house that belongs to a widowed pensioner that is behind on her insurance. How the F--K is going to be able to afford the cost of repairing here house and the lawyer fees. Do you realise that these law suits take years to resolve and $$$$$ ...
It's very unlikely a widowed pensioner will take a law suit against anyone, let alone someone willing to pay for all damages.
Quote:
If you can not understand the implications you mate can cause by not having some sort of property cover on his vehicles then you are just as bad as he is. sorry if this offends you but your arrogance in this matter deeply offends me and obversely alot of others members on AFF..
No, your lack of understanding does not offend me.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 28-03-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 28-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #140
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
I think that's pretty good, all under your name is it? my car is 100% stock, probably have to stay that way for a little while now lol
yup, full comp in my name
Old 28-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #141
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
And by the way I can't seem to remember the last time a house lost control and ran into another house... I might be wrong but you seem to know alot more then I do so maybe you could enlighten me on whether houses when being driven can loose control and damage someone else's property?... Also what are the dangers of the occupants getting injured if they fall asleep whilst in the house?
The point is that having no Motor Vehicle insurance in no way affects a claim for personal injury that is lodged when a person takes someout out when they run through their house in a car accident.

CTP looks after this. In this case whether his mate has car insurance or not becomes irrelevant.

State guidelines will require some form of personal injury (CTP) cover to be taken out when rego is due. Even if he was driving uninsured(illegally), in nsw anyway, cover is still provided under the "nominal defendant" scheme.

As stated before, I wouldn't drive a car without insurance myself as I'd sooner have peace of mind that I don't have to worry about trying to find money to cover someone's repairs or to worry about angry debt collecting gang members.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 28-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #142
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Some food for thought to those that don't insure.

A good friend of mine was driving a $500 sh!tter. Did'nt beleive in insurance. Always thought it was someone elses responsibility. They want to drive a nice car? Well they can insure it. That was his attitude.

Well, he ran up the back of a fully restored 56 Chev. Owned by a debt collector for a motorcycle club.

My friend did'nt have a cent to his name. And could'nt (would'nt) pay.

These guys in the motorcycle club hounded him for 5+ years. They made his life hell. He had to move countless times only for them to find him again. The police could'nt do a thing at the time. The gang picked their time, place and means.

They'd walk into his house, ask for the money. No money? Fine, theyd take whatever they could find TV, video, anything worth anything. They'd then gine him a good thrashing. Said they'd be back "sometime" for the rest.

He'd often come home to find the place ransacked along with whatever he was driving at the time destroyed. If he was home that would'nt stop them, just meant he got a beating too.

Like I said, the Police were unwilling to do much about it. Cops don't really want to get involved in gangs. These guys were ruthless. A law unto themselves.

This was about 2 years ago. My friend is still waiting for the next visit, whenever that might be.
Oh ah well got what he deserved. Police wont get involved because their scared, the local boys in blue are aware of what can happen if they go after them. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
Old 28-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #143
Aeron
DJR Fan

Mine is covered by fullcomp. No other way IMO.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 28-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #144
-AL-
Knuckle Head

As FFOracing has already pointed out,I know of a very very similar true story. If you want to run a car on our roads without a minimum of 3rd party property insurance cover then by all means make sure you choose wisely who you accidently run into. It aint worth the risk.

Last edited by -AL-; 28-03-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 28-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #145
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I hated driving around the ute without insurance. I went to RACQ as soon as I got the damn thing, and they had a look at it, said it was too low (which it was), told me to get it raised or they won't insure it.

Got it raised (no bumper scraping), went back, asked if I had full comp insurance before, said no, asked how long I've been driving for, said three years, listed all mods to it.

They put me on rating three straight up, because of experience and it costs me $90 a month. Covers all mods and takes into account my experience. Was so happy when it went through.

The EA on the other hand, I drove around for a month without insurance. I said that when I got it, I would join RACQ as a member and get insurance through them. I put Third Party Property with Fire and Theft on it and it only cost $14 a month.

Those who put down as haven't had insurance NEED TO BE SHOT. Other who have been mentioned on this thread as not having insurance NEED TO BE SHOT. Some may remember the thread I put up a week ago about a mate who had his car smashed into by a woman who couldn't park her car, and she didn't have insurance. Luckily she agreed to pay $500 worth of damage which he received.

People that don't have insurance is one thing that really gives me the sh*ts.
Old 28-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #146
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
His family is liable in the sense they can use his assets to cover costs in the event of death.

And I'm sure they won't have a problem with it anyhow, particularly if they are also not insured, they may have just the same viewpoint.

EDIT: I also feel that if someone has something that is supposedly uninsurable or they simply don't want to insure it, as 'XA Coupe' claims, then perhaps they shouldn't leave it in a vulnerable position for people who drive uninsured to have an accident with easily.

I know if I had something that was valuable to me, no one would have easy access to it, and it certainly wouldn't be left close to the street for someone to hit it, as it would **** me off whether they were insured or not.

An example being my motorbikes, they are only 3rd party property insured, so theft could be a concern.
Where I have them stored and locked up however, I'm definitely not concerned, as I have my own 'insurance policy', and it ain't with an insurance company.

Rick.
Arguing with you Rick is like masturbating with sandaper. It's painful and not good for you but it's just not possible to stop.
Try getting firearms insured if you really want to know. So far no one wants to know about them. Fortunately the government is doing a good job af taking that concern away from me, They are all in a safe and should that million to one chance happen and I get a car in the house and it gets the safe ( statistically improbable but still possible ) and the uninsured driver has the good grace to croak.. where am I then ??

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 28-03-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 28-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #147
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I saw one of those statistically improbably car into a house situations today. Corner Mossfield and Heaths Road Hoppers Crossing. Car didnt make it all the way to the house though, it was an AU wagon beached on the rock garden (the underside would have been screwed) but not before taking out all the powerlines etc by taking out the support cable for the telephone pole.
If (s)he wasnt insured its going to be HUGE $$$. Police, 2 fire trucks, electical guys, amblance, damage to the yard. Thats going to be a big bill.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 28-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #148
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Arguing with you Rick is like masturbating with sandaper. It's painful and not good for you but it's just not possible to stop.
Try getting firearms insured if you really want to know. So far no one wants to know about them. Fortunately the government is doing a good job af taking that concern away from me, They are all in a safe and should that million to one chance happen and I get a car in the house and it gets the safe ( statistically improbable but still possible ) and the uninsured driver has the good grace to croak.. where am I then ??
That's why I did not respond to his reply. I have learnt that you carn't reason with brain doners

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 28-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #149
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
That's why I did not respond to his reply. I have learnt that you carn't reason with brain doners
Perhaps I am a slow learner .... :
Old 28-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #150
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Just a point that you may wish to consider Rick.
Even insurance Companies reinsure thier own risk.
The majority of comprehensive and or third party polices contain property liability from $10-20million.
Even if your friend is well off, not too many can cover that kind of lose, including insurance companies, that is why the reinsure thier risk!!!!!
Closed Thread