Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2008 MS Sydney to the Gong Bike Ride

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to let you know I am taking part in the 2008 MS Sydney to the Gong bike ride.

Information on the ride can be found at: http://www.msaustralia.org.au/gongride/index.asp

If you would like to submit a donation to me you are able to at this address: http://register.gongride.org.au/?DavidBourne

Any donation will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave.

Old 20-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
XR Davo

yeah i'm doing it this year. Last did it 14 years ago so hope I can still go the 90km distance. Did the Spring Cycle on the weekend as a warm up. North Sydney to Homebush then home all up 58km.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice effort. i work at homebush so i ride to work and then out to merrylands each day.

didnt even know about the spring cycle, bit of a missed opportunity
Old 20-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Yeah Spring Cycle was good. Never knew how good some of the tracks were out at Homebush (like the ones on the 12km extra loop). Nice day too. Almost lost it on the little dirt track just after the start of the extra loop on my road bike - not what I was expecting to face, but hey.

Wish some of the kids could ride in a straight line though. Got a bit hairy when bunched up and clipped in to SPD's, but you get that.

Nice ride but shame I will miss the 'gong this year due to a interstate work commitment. Hope the weather is good again.

Good luck Sgt.
Old 20-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
XlR8TED

Good on you, Mate. I organised a ride earlier this year for Marfans Syndrome. Ended up raising a smidge over $2k which I was pretty happy with considering I had to advertise the event myself etc.

I'll definitely pop some money over.

Thinking I might even enter myself...for people who have been before, is it fun? Seems like a lot of riders on roads. Do they close them off?
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Pinch and XR, yeah they do section off the road.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did you pull up Sgt?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good mate. Did the whole ride no stopping which to me is a massive accomplishment.

I tell you what, some of those hills, especially through the national park... jesus H christ they are steep!!!!

unfortunately there were a few incidents which stuffed things up, my trip computer read 4hrs 15min ride time, but in reality it would have been about 3hrs 30min if there hadn't been the mishaps which once again makes me feel awesome that I was able to do it in that time.

I am however dumb enough to be riding to work this week as well haha, ill take next week off once i have my car back
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
XR Davo

Good effort there Sgt. I did it in about 4.5hrs i think with a couple of quick stops so am pretty happy. Was pretty congested out there, I heard there were quite a few stacks and incidents and ride was stopped for 25mins at one stage. The start was a joke took 30 minutes to filter through to the start line. Great cool weather though and no southerly head wind. I'll be back next year. Davo
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah the start was bloody insane!!!

i couldnt understand the logic in filling 10,000 odd cyclists down a footpath.

and to be honest the end was a disgrace, 3 lanes of cyclists onto a footpath?!

saw 1 bloke completely T-Bone a lady at the entrance to the last park, just thought, what was the point of that you moron!

but yes the weather was absolutely perfect, coolish, cloud cover and no real bad winds.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Well this week I decided that I should start riding a bike to get fit.

The blokes at work are mad-keen cyclists so I said to myself I would ride around work for a while, then join them on the trail.

Anywhoo.. my brother in law lent me one of his bikes this morning. So I got up @ 5:50am. Drove to work, (in cycle gear, work clothes were in a bag) and rode around work.

Now to say I am unfit is a nice way of putting it. So I was buggered almost at even the thought of having to peddle!

I managed to do a few laps of a little circuit I constructed in my head which resulted in about 25-30min of cycling.

Only now, my legs are rooted, im sitting @ my desk an hour early and thinking "god that was silly.. you're an idiot"...

so I thought I'd put on my emo hat and ask ffau if I'm an idiot for doing this?
And just think, it was only 3 months ago you made this post. To do that ride in that short time is a fantastic effort. Well done.

P.S. Bet you dont feel like an idiot now...
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha, thanks for pasting that Phil, it does feel bloody good i do admit that.

its amazing how my cycling ability has evolved. Also ive lost a fair amount of weight (even though it doesnt really look like it to me?). but yeah i honestly have to say starting cycling has been one of my smartest decisions.