Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Mine Antartica, what the verdict

I reckon go for it. As long as the environment is protected.

Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
robertjp

Being that the majority of Antartica is under 000's of ice, ,may have to wait until global warming melts and the island rises. There is currently no way to mine down there keeping the environment safe with current technology. Not forgetting that 6mth of the year is pitch black, where will the power come for the lights etc. That Barnabe Joyce is a nut!
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some people should really sit in the corner and be quiet when they know nothing of the issues.

environment issues are now very much a part of every day mining, meaning more controls and awareness. i don't see a problem with it as long as it is very tightly controlled, which would happen anyway. mining is quite huge in places like Alaska.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

as long as i get a Antarctic Snowcone in Rasperry or Cola Flavour , MINE AWAY

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its already melting...we need cheaper fuel - the environment is already stuffed or is it at uni i was told that all this is part of a cycle of freezing and heating...LOL dont no what to believe but i have to remember it to pass
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

if there is oil in the Australian sector, what are they waiting for.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
if there is oil in the Australian sector, what are they waiting for.
the oil in the middle east to run out
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
the oil in the middle east to run out
Yeah, can't have a surplus of oil... prices might go down, wait til no more oil there so that companies can still control the price and supply.

Just wait until the next major conflict... there will be a rogue nuke that will hit antartica. Melt ice, kill all life there. In 10,000 years it'll be safe to mine without damaging the the environment further.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

OK, move all the stuff to antartica. Set up a well. Ship it back or build a pipe - whatever.

Figure out how to reach the stuff.

Pump it.

Realise its costing $50 to pump a $70 barrel of oil... or even worse, realise you've consumed more oil setting the operation up than its capable of producing.

Yes - drill the stuff. But not now - if its not cheap to access then there is absolutely no point, it wont help oil prices.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Twelve months ago, I would have said, no, leave the bloody penguins alone. But what B Joyce said rings a bell. If we dont do it some other country will. China perhaps, mining oil on our southern doorstep, now theres a country that will fall over backwards to protect the environment!!! (sarcasm) Then they would probably sell the stuff back to us at world parity price, bargain!!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Nah, im going to go against the flow, dont mine Antartica, keep the Madid? Treaty and keep it for scientific purposes were already stuffed enough of the planet up.

If it all does go pear shaped though and mining does occurr, were in a world of ****, beacuse Australia has a claim on 40% of Antartica, but many whinging countries wont recognise it. It would be a shomozal, bit like claims on the moon, treaties would fall apart and countries would attempt to 'fight' for territory in Antartica.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Nah, im going to go against the flow, dont mine Antartica, keep the Madid? Treaty and keep it for scientific purposes were already stuffed enough of the planet up.

If it all does go pear shaped though and mining does occurr, were in a world of ****, beacuse Australia has a claim on 40% of Antartica, but many whinging countries wont recognise it. It would be a shomozal, bit like claims on the moon, treaties would fall apart and countries would attempt to 'fight' for territory in Antartica.
Exactly, thats why i reckon that we (Australia) should do it. If some other country that does not recognise our claims to the place, and goes ahead and starts to mine it, what would Australia do about it? Our namby pamby pollies would just rol over and take it. In this case ocupation would be control.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

The Poms did it to the Argentineans with the Falkland Islands. The only reason the Poms want to keep those seagull poo covered dots in the middle of the Atlantic is that they are sitting on top of vast untapped oil reserves. Thatcher left that bit out when announcing they were going to war...but she (and Ronnie Reagan) didn't want the Argentineans getting their hands on the oil either...
Old 02-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
max
LWBforME

Yeah. Rip it up! Everyones going to be in it anyway. Environment. What's that??
Who needs an environment when there's virtual reality?
By the way what's a good recipe for Penguin?
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
little_blondie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Yeah. Rip it up! Everyones going to be in it anyway. Environment. What's that??
Who needs an environment when there's virtual reality?
By the way what's a good recipe for Penguin?
Why dont we go kill every animal because they are part of the environment...
How about that... We should kill live stock everything... We can live without meat because we have virtual reality?

Just levae the environment the way it is...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #16
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave it alone I say... At least for now, and a lot more time further in the future.

Apart from ruining a beautiful place, it would cost a hell of a lot.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #17
little_blondie

[Quote] Nah, im going to go against the flow, dont mine Antartica, keep the Madid? Treaty and keep it for scientific purposes were already stuffed enough of the planet up.

That dude is smart listen.

The 1961 Antarctic Treaty ensures that all nations can use land south of 60S for peaceful and scientific purposes. The 1998 Protocol on Environmental Protection established guidelines for waste disposal, marine pollution and the conservation of fauna and flora, and PROHIBITED mining for at least 50 YEARS.

So use cant start mining till 2048, so there is no need to worry about it just yet
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
FordFan86
meow

And the heat generated thru the drilling/transporting/refining of the oil in a place such as Antarctica?
Mmmkay.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

[QUOTE=little_blondie]
Quote:

That dude is smart listen.

The 1961 Antarctic Treaty ensures that all nations can use land south of 60S for peaceful and scientific purposes. The 1998 Protocol on Environmental Protection established guidelines for waste disposal, marine pollution and the conservation of fauna and flora, and PROHIBITED mining for at least 50 YEARS.

So use cant start mining till 2048, so there is no need to worry about it just yet
This argument falls apart because not every country signed the treaty, a bit like japan not being signatory to the geneva convention. So promptly went ahead and commited some of the worst attrocities (SP?) in history.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #20
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
So promptly went ahead and commited some of the worst attrocities (SP?) in history.
All sides committed atrocities during ww2 outside of the geneva convention, the US now claims the Geneva convention doesnt even exist to stateless people, but thats an issue for another day.

As for breaking the antartic treaty, all the major relevant western countries did sign the treaty, hence if we did break it, we would probably end up with trade tarriffs against our exports.

And besides, we would need to send massive amounts of infrastructure down there to start with, plus you may not be able to get any oil out (if oil deposits do exist) during the winter months.

I take it Barnaby "barney the dinosaur" Joyce needed his 5 minutes of fame this month.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
And the heat generated thru the drilling/transporting/refining of the oil in a place such as Antarctica?
Mmmkay.
Don't tell me..... the whole joint is going to melt?
Possible chain reaction and a series of devastating earthquakes?
Catastrophic climate change?

Man, we could make a movie about this!!!

Where's those penguin recipes??????
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post