Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default AU Series 1 Seatbelt Mystery!!

Hi guys, Marcus (AUGhiaV8) and I have been PMing back and forth regarding making the seatbelt height adjusters on the series 1 like those on series 2 and 3.

He's the first I heard that had done it. I'm waiting for my series 2 bits to arrive so I can do mine, hopefully next week!

Here's the mystery though.

He was in a taxi last week and saw height adjustable seatbelts on a series 1 taxi. He didn't reckon it was a mod as both sides were done.

Does anyone have any info to shed some light on our query?

Was it a special mod done to taxi fleets? Why did Ford not put them on the series 1? His car is a Ghia, so we'd reckon they should have been standard!

Has anyone got a series 1 with them fitted as standard? Was it an option? Any other info

Cheers,
George

Last edited by GK; 21-05-2005 at 07:37 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a series 1 AU Futura wagon with the height adjustable seatbelts in it...

Maybe it was part of a mid series upgrade??
Old 22-05-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mother and law has a series 1 AU forte with height adjustable seat belts...
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
I have a series 1 AU Futura wagon with the height adjustable seatbelts in it...

Maybe it was part of a mid series upgrade??
Ok, now we're getting somewhere! Can you tell me what year it is? Marcus has a 98 model (from memory and mine is the 99 (May). It may very well have been a mid series upgrade.

Cheers,
George
Old 22-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
My mother and law has a series 1 AU forte with height adjustable seat belts...
Ok, now this is interesting! A Forte with the adjustable seatbelts! Can you tell me what year it is? Marcus has a 98 model (from memory and mine is the 99 (May). It may very well have been a mid series upgrade.

Cheers,
George
Old 22-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Guys just a word of advice, if you can't do it with Ford parts as a straight bolt in think about whether you want to be relying on a home-made "she'll be right" part if you have a crash. I'm sure you're not that silly though!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Kryton

my AU1 2000 had height adjustable seat belts. then again it had power windows and cruise too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
AUGhiaV8

No thoughts of home made parts here... all genuine as fitted to series 2 onwards (according to Ford).

The only odd thing I noticed was that the lower fixing point had no thread. However the bolt supplied with the rail assembly tapped its own thread quite easily. I was a little hesitant to overtighten in fear of it stripping. If I had any concerns it would be around this fixing point in particular and and the general strength of the whole rail assembly and fixing points. Compared to the large single bolt that used to be there the adjustable belt assembly doesn't look as 'robust'.

99 Futura Wagon... I'm keen to see the pics you take when doing the mod/upgrade (sorry, I didn't take them myself when doing it).

My Ghia is Sept '98 to be exact.

Last edited by AUGhiaV8; 22-05-2005 at 12:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Guys just a word of advice, if you can't do it with Ford parts as a straight bolt in think about whether you want to be relying on a home-made "she'll be right" part if you have a crash. I'm sure you're not that silly though!
No worries, if the parts from Ford don't work, it won't be done!
Old 22-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
my AU1 2000 had height adjustable seat belts. then again it had power windows and cruise too.
My 99 Futura has power windows (front only) and the blessed cruise!!

Perhaps 2000 was the starting point, a pre series 1 upgrade perhaps!
Old 22-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
No thoughts of home made parts here... all genuine as fitted to series 2 onwards (according to Ford).

The only odd thing I noticed was that the lower fixing point had no thread. However the bolt supplied with the rail assembly tapped its own thread quite easily. I was a little hesitant to overtighten in fear of it stripping. If I had any concerns it would be around this fixing point in particular and and the general strength of the whole rail assembly and fixing points. Compared to the large single bolt that used to be there the adjustable belt assembly doesn't look as 'robust'.

99 Futura Wagon... I'm keen to see the pics you take when doing the mod/upgrade (sorry, I didn't take them myself when doing it).

My Ghia is Sept '98 to be exact.
Hey Marcus,

The guy from Ford spare parts told me that the bolt was a self tapping one by the code. It was your advice that prompted me to ask the question actually!

Hopefully the parts will be in this week! And I will post the pics that I will take step by step.

Cheers,
George
Old 22-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

I have a DEC '99 model AU Forte with the adjustable height seatbelts. good idea but my drivers side belt rolls back up slower than a fat chick getting out of a chair.
StAndArdAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
I have a DEC '99 model AU Forte with the adjustable height seatbelts. good idea but my drivers side belt rolls back up slower than a fat chick getting out of a chair.
Ok, now we are down to Dec 99 with the height adjustable seatbelts. Anyone earlier than that?

George
Old 22-05-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yes, May 99 Forte.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
Ok, now this is interesting! A Forte with the adjustable seatbelts! Can you tell me what year it is? Marcus has a 98 model (from memory and mine is the 99 (May). It may very well have been a mid series upgrade.

Cheers,
George
Ok, its a 99, not sure on the month yet.. It also has front power windows and cruise.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #16
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My AU1 with the front seatbelt adsusters is definately a 99... June I think.
Old 23-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Are you talking about the bit of plastic (inner column) inside where the belt comes out. It has like a switch thing to move it up and down ?

If so my 99 XR6, didn't come with that. It only has the dodgey plastic with the hole it in where the belt comes out.

The AU2-3 part number ( i got it today when I went to price changing mine) is :

AU2 F24396 A1 Panel CTR PLR UPR RH
AU2 F24397 A1 Panel CTR PLR UPR LH

Each one is $26.13 a piece.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Oh and the car is a Feb 99 model.

Old 23-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Oh and the car is a Feb 99 model.
Ok, now we're down to Feb 99. My car is newer (May) so if it was part of an upgrade, it should've come on mine!

But now we need some guy with the "official" Ford reason to come forward and shed light on the subject. LOL

Can anyone help with this mystery?

George
Old 23-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Are you talking about the bit of plastic (inner column) inside where the belt comes out. It has like a switch thing to move it up and down ?

If so my 99 XR6, didn't come with that. It only has the dodgey plastic with the hole it in where the belt comes out.

The AU2-3 part number ( i got it today when I went to price changing mine) is :

AU2 F24396 A1 Panel CTR PLR UPR RH
AU2 F24397 A1 Panel CTR PLR UPR LH

Each one is $26.13 a piece.
G'day loxxr6,

You also need the self tapping bolt $2.10 I think and also the rails that attach (with the bolt) to the b pillar underneath the trims that you got priced today.

The seatbelt goes up and down on these rails. The plastic trim enables you to lock the seatbelt into the position (height) you want. You can't do the mod without the rails!

All up, the parts are about $80 or so. Double that for both sides (driver and passenger) to $160. You need a standard set of torx keys as well. I got mine from Supercheap Auto for $14 for a set of 9.

Let us know how you go, perhaps you could also post pics, you might even get it done before me! LOL

I rang Ford today and my trim should be in tomorrow, and I'll do the mod this week and post the pics asap.

All the best with it.

Cheers,
George
Old 23-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #21
AUGhiaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
Ok, now we're down to Feb 99. My car is newer (May) so if it was part of an upgrade, it should've come on mine!
loxxr6 said he didn't have the adjustable belts so that narrows the possible 're-introduction' down to between Feb and May '99?
Old 23-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #22
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
G'day loxxr6,

You also need the self tapping bolt $2.10 I think and also the rails that attach (with the bolt) to the b pillar underneath the trims that you got priced today.

The seatbelt goes up and down on these rails. The plastic trim enables you to lock the seatbelt into the position (height) you want. You can't do the mod without the rails!

All up, the parts are about $80 or so. Double that for both sides (driver and passenger) to $160. You need a standard set of torx keys as well. I got mine from Supercheap Auto for $14 for a set of 9.

Let us know how you go, perhaps you could also post pics, you might even get it done before me! LOL

I rang Ford today and my trim should be in tomorrow, and I'll do the mod this week and post the pics asap.

All the best with it.

Cheers,
George
Thanks George,

I didn't know I'd need the other bits so that's helpful.

I'll prob be grabbing the bits in dribs and drabs but if I get round to it sooner I'll take some happy snaps to post up.

Old 24-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
loxxr6 said he didn't have the adjustable belts so that narrows the possible 're-introduction' down to between Feb and May '99?
Good point Marcus! I didn't think about that! Also someone else may have had the better belts later than Sept98 and earlier than Feb 99! Let's see where the info takes us!

I still want some Ford info wizz guy to give us the reason for all this!

Cheers,
George

Last edited by GK; 24-05-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 24-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Thanks George,

I didn't know I'd need the other bits so that's helpful.

I'll prob be grabbing the bits in dribs and drabs but if I get round to it sooner I'll take some happy snaps to post up.
Loxxr6,

Check out this pic of the actual rail and slider. It's from my friend's series 2 futura. The top bolt is the one that cuts its own thread. That'll ensure you're given the right bits from Ford! LOL

Cheers,
George

Last edited by GK; 24-05-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 30-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Well Fellas,

The mod has been completed! It works a real treat, the lack of snagging of the belt on the old, worn trim is most welcome!!

All up it took me about 30mins, including taking many photos which I will hopefully get posted in a few days. The camera is a friends and she needs to burn the photos to cd for me, then I'll upload them via my computer.

I've written down the procedure I followed, I'll link that all up with the photos as best as I can, with the result hopefully of a step by step process.

I'll get back to you all in a few days.

George
Old 31-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #26
AUGhiaV8

Well done George... and who said it couldn't be done. Don't forget to send your write-up with pics to Casper for inclusion in aufalcon.com.

Last edited by AUGhiaV8; 31-05-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 31-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #27
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Well Fellas,

The mod has been completed! It works a real treat, the lack of snagging of the belt on the old, worn trim is most welcome!!

All up it took me about 30mins, including taking many photos which I will hopefully get posted in a few days. The camera is a friends and she needs to burn the photos to cd for me, then I'll upload them via my computer.

I've written down the procedure I followed, I'll link that all up with the photos as best as I can, with the result hopefully of a step by step process.

I'll get back to you all in a few days.

George
Top stuff. Can't wait we see it.

Old 31-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Well done George... and who said it could be done. Don't forget to send your write-up with pics to Casper for inclusion in aufalcon.com.
Good idea Marcus,

I'll do that indeed. Hopefully I'll get the pics tomorrow and post them then or Thursday.

Thanks again for your input, I wouldn't have gone ahead without your advice and encouragement.

Cheers,
George

Last edited by GK; 31-05-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 31-05-2005, 11:48 PM   #29
AUGhiaV8

deleted - double post

Last edited by AUGhiaV8; 31-05-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 31-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #30
AUGhiaV8

Just noticed I typed "and who said it could be done"... I meant to type "and who said it couldn't be done" - wanted to clarify that as it comes across very differently with that typo. Sorry 'bout that George.