Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2024, 07:50 PM   #2581
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
They didn't get rich spending their own money.
But they bought the 100k car though?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #2582
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
But they bought the 100k car though?
Their money or a dodgy business expense?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2024, 01:30 AM   #2583
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Its amazing how many people buy $100,000+ cars and don't look after them at all, had some really smelly 200 and 300 series Landcruiser's with crap strewn all through them come through in the last few weeks.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2024, 07:05 PM   #2584
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Its amazing how many people buy $100,000+ cars and don't look after them at all, had some really smelly 200 and 300 series Landcruiser's with crap strewn all through them come through in the last few weeks.
Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography, circa $280,000+ on the road new............................

Paint trashed and full of swirls and covered in iron deposits, oily leather, baked on brake dust.................I saved it though! Didn't bother polishing it though, dust made it so shiny the owner didn't even know the difference.

But yes, for most who buy that sort of vehicle, its an appliance.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2024, 07:50 PM   #2585
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…Why are travel and transport means of payment are so incompatible/inflexible across Australia?

I can’t tap my e-tag on a Myki reader. Or tap an Opal card on an Myki reader, either.
I can’t download a Waze-type app that automatically handles my tolls with nothing more than a few cents surcharge. Or just a standalone app using NFC technology as a surrogate e-tag.
I can’t nominate the period I wish to renew rego for online, it’s in set blocks of 3/6/12 months.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 11:44 PM   #2586
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it I was the only person naked at the gender reveal party?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 11:49 PM   #2587
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Because you have balls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2024, 04:05 PM   #2588
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Why is it I can buy parts from Latvia for 1/4 of the price and have it delivered faster than I can get parts from Sydney.

Need a wheel bearing for My Smart Fortwo, cant even get 1 local, no one stocks them, can buy 1 from Sydney $220 + post no tracking and wont see it for 3 weeks, found a place in Latvia, Same brand, $45, $30 postage with full tracking, it was posted Friday morning and was already on the plane and on its way Yesterday, I should see it before the end of the week.

Just the postage times makes you wonder why stuff in our own country takes so long but something from overseas can come in a week?
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #2589
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Cars245 or Trodo?
Old 25-02-2024, 04:40 PM   #2590
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Its a long way to Tipperary. It's long way to go.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2024, 05:36 PM   #2591
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Cars245 or Trodo?
Cars245, Trodo was not competitive enough
Old 25-02-2024, 08:40 PM   #2592
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Why have many “guided decision making paths” gone from flowcharts to matrices?

And when did this start happening? I only remember them in vector algebra.
Old 25-02-2024, 10:22 PM   #2593
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why have many “guided decision making paths” gone from flowcharts to matrices?

And when did this start happening? I only remember them in vector algebra.
... and in simultaneous equations. It probably happened just before people started "circle back' with solutions .

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2024, 02:04 PM   #2594
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is it I can buy parts from Latvia for 1/4 of the price and have it delivered faster than I can get parts from Sydney.

Need a wheel bearing for My Smart Fortwo, cant even get 1 local, no one stocks them, can buy 1 from Sydney $220 + post no tracking and wont see it for 3 weeks, found a place in Latvia, Same brand, $45, $30 postage with full tracking, it was posted Friday morning and was already on the plane and on its way Yesterday, I should see it before the end of the week.

Just the postage times makes you wonder why stuff in our own country takes so long but something from overseas can come in a week?
A smart for two driver decided to turn right across ( I was two back in the adjacent lane). This is in Nerang GC.
two lanes of traffic to his left today. There was a gap in the first lane so he turned right didnt check the next lane was clear and drove into the side of a proceeding traffic control hilux.

The smart for two literally fell to bits from windscreen forward.
A rather irritated looking traffic controller got out of the hilux as I turned round the carnage.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2024, 03:48 PM   #2595
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
A smart for two driver decided to turn right across ( I was two back in the adjacent lane). This is in Nerang GC.
two lanes of traffic to his left today. There was a gap in the first lane so he turned right didnt check the next lane was clear and drove into the side of a proceeding traffic control hilux.

The smart for two literally fell to bits from windscreen forward.
A rather irritated looking traffic controller got out of the hilux as I turned round the carnage.

Most peoples misconception with these smart cars is that you will get killed if you are in a shopping centre car park crash, if you watch the 100mph vid of one hitting a barrier that 5th gear did, you will see that they can take a decent knock, majority of cars at that speed will cause the occupant injury though.

To disinegrate from the windscreen forward is what they are designed to do, the front from the windscreen forwards is all plastic, if you saw one with the front off, you can see where the actual strength is.

We see all sorts of cars come through work that look like they have disintegrated, but that's the way they are designed now, you can see the manufacturers have figured out the more that breaks the better the parts bill is, not uncommon to have parts bills in the $30,000+ mark these days.

I had a i30 hit my 2nd fortwo in the rh door pillar, he needed towing I drove home, I think you would find that if any new car drove into the side of a moving vehicle there would be plastic flying everywhere.

Im up to my 6 th Smart ForTwo, great little cars, I always get asked if im worried about being hit by a truck, im no more afraid of being hit by a truck in it any more than i would being hit by a truck in the wifes Mercedes or any car for that matter.

Vid of the one being destroyed on fith gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE
Old 26-02-2024, 08:20 PM   #2596
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that’s what I thought designed to break away but protect the occupants.
Thanks for the feedback
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2024, 05:45 PM   #2597
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Why is it?

I go to Bunnings. Carpark mostly empty. Park at least one space away from the car next to me. Nothing beside me or behind me.
Come back, one car parked between me and next car, and, a car reversed in behind me! FFS!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2024, 05:47 PM   #2598
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Why is it? I go to Bunnings.
Fixed that for you.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 09:57 AM   #2599
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Why is it, that someone who has bought a high end or enthusiast-minded car, lets pick a number here and say $100,000+, that they then baulk at paying $30 for a bottle of car wash soap or tyre dressing.

A strange mentality that I don't understand. You've paid the premium for the performance model of a car aimed at car enthusiasts, but you see paying a fraction of that cars price on something to maintain your investment as a needless extravagance? Equally strange when said person asks what's "best" to use on their car?

I don't get it.
You mean like all the people who buy a $160k+ 300 series landcruiser then fit kings spotlights?

Quote:

Re: Availability

because a Smart FourTwo is relatively uncommon in Australia wheres they're built and reasonably common in Europe.

Its like Ford Falcons here.... I cant even walk out my front door without walking past multiple front hubs & rear wheel bearing kits.... (I wish I was joking....)
Old 11-03-2024, 11:46 AM   #2600
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post

Re: Availability

because a Smart FourTwo is relatively uncommon in Australia wheres they're built and reasonably common in Europe.

Its like Ford Falcons here.... I cant even walk out my front door without walking past multiple front hubs & rear wheel bearing kits.... (I wish I was joking....)
You would be surprised how much common stuff we cant get here in old wait a while
Cant get new parts at the moment for a Focus, Captiva, Commodore, i30, MG, LDV, Jeep, plus another 12 cars that are stored because of parts availability, most parts are coming from Europe, Japan, China, US, etc, we do stock a bit in Australia but no where near enough to cover the demand, with my parts check I can get a response that they have 3 in stock at time of quoting, but can have nil stock within hours, luck of the draw here, then there is the premium price we pay for parts here.

I sometimes have to source parts because of nil stock and the time frame its needed in, and 9 times out of 10 I can purchase the part from another country, add priority shipping and still come in under half the price they want here for the exact same item, then most of the time I recieve it faster than they can supply here.

Perfect example is the VF Commodore series 2 front parts, half of it is not available in Australia at all, with no ETA when it will be available, we are repairing some pretty munted front bars at the moment, and not just ours, we are fixing them for RAC for other contracted repairers.

We are constantly waiting for suspension parts for cars here, its like the dealers just stock lights and wiperblades.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 12:15 PM   #2601
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

And we have NSW writing off cars when a pigeon drops a message on them. “Ooh! It’s a DEATH TRAP if repaired!” And the PPSR reports “[Impact | Driver Ashtray | Lighter dislodged | Unrepairable]…
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 12:57 PM   #2602
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
And we have NSW writing off cars when a pigeon drops a message on them. “Ooh! It’s a DEATH TRAP if repaired!” And the PPSR reports “[Impact | Driver Ashtray | Lighter dislodged | Unrepairable]…
We get the rolled off a cliff slammed 3 trees on the way down and burst into flames and its a repairable write off, then the next has a scrape down 2 doors and its a Stat.

I also find that when I buy a repairable write off it will have Heavy panel, heavy structual etc and its fixed with replacing a front bumper, very common for the assesor to justify the write off to exagerate the damage.

Did a horrible thing last week and bought a MK 7 VW Golf, its down as LH panel damage, LH front damage and LH rear damage, it does not have a mark on it, but it has no keys?, no biggie, but WTF is with it being on the WOVR?
Old 11-03-2024, 04:05 PM   #2603
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
We get the rolled off a cliff slammed 3 trees on the way down and burst into flames and its a repairable write off, then the next has a scrape down 2 doors and its a Stat.

I also find that when I buy a repairable write off it will have Heavy panel, heavy structual etc and its fixed with replacing a front bumper, very common for the assesor to justify the write off to exagerate the damage.

Did a horrible thing last week and bought a MK 7 VW Golf, its down as LH panel damage, LH front damage and LH rear damage, it does not have a mark on it, but it has no keys?, no biggie, but WTF is with it being on the WOVR?
The car insurance industry is ludicrous in some of their decisions to write off vehicles, and we the consumers are paying dearly for it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #2604
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Why is it?

I go to Bunnings. Carpark mostly empty. Park at least one space away from the car next to me. Nothing beside me or behind me.
Come back, one car parked between me and next car, and, a car reversed in behind me! FFS!
I HATE that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One a person who had many spots available to them decided to park to the left of my car close so that they had to open their door carefully so as to not hit my car (they didn't hit my car as I checked). If they left an empty spot between our cars they could have entered and exited their vehicle comfortably and without needing to take care. WTF is the thought process of these people?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 05:14 PM   #2605
.:4:.
Kicking back

It annoys me greatly when you park dead straight and centre in a spot and the person who parks in the free space beside you parks on an angle or too close to the line and has the audacity to fold in my mirror to get their fat body in between the 2 cars.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 05:23 PM   #2606
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You would be surprised how much common stuff we cant get here in old wait a while

Cant get new parts at the moment for a Focus, Captiva, Commodore, i30, MG, LDV, Jeep, plus another 12 cars that are stored because of parts availability.....

Perfect example is the VF Commodore series 2 front parts, half of it is not available in Australia at all, with no ETA when it will be available, we are repairing some pretty munted front bars at the moment, and not just ours, we are fixing them for RAC for other contracted repairers.

We are constantly waiting for suspension parts for cars here, its like the dealers just stock lights and wiperblades.
Have to laugh, I made comment elsewhere about how GM shafted dealers and customers who had bought later model Holden's by abandoning the Australian market and the tough tits attitude to spare parts going forward. It was suggested you could easily get service and spare parts from Holden "dealers" (service agents). And yet, your post supports my view.
Mustang GT

Old 11-03-2024, 05:39 PM   #2607
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Have to laugh, I made comment elsewhere about how GM shafted dealers and customers who had bought later model Holden's by abandoning the Australian market and the tough tits attitude to spare parts going forward. It was suggested you could easily get service and spare parts from Holden "dealers" (service agents). And yet, your post supports my view.
Its not just GM unfortunately, getting Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta parts is getting hard too, You cant even get a door mirror for a current next gen Ranger here at the moment, then the premium price they make you pay for small things, just to get a front bumper you are quoted for 15 parts, not uncommeon to pay $5000 for a front bumper in bits
Old 11-03-2024, 06:05 PM   #2608
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Its not just GM unfortunately, getting Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta parts is getting hard too, You cant even get a door mirror for a current next gen Ranger here at the moment, then the premium price they make you pay for small things, just to get a front bumper you are quoted for 15 parts, not uncommeon to pay $5000 for a front bumper in bits
That is what happens when you do not have a manufacturing car industry anymore, interestingly most industries are not carrying much in spare parts and rely on order/imports which as you know can be slow with delivery.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2024, 07:03 AM   #2609
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

…When I can’t sleep, I find myself reading menus of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern street food places in the area? And then feeling really hungry?
4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #2610
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Why is it you can be driving along with a heap of cars in the left lane at the speed limit with cars in front of you with a not quite car length gap, but there is a gap of 10 cars or more behind you to the next car along, then some retaded dumb loser will speed up the right lane to beside you and want to be let in so they can use the turning lane coming up?

Plenty of room to slot in behind, but no they want to gain 1 car length and **** you off by pushing in then turning, the mind boggles at the way some people think.

I just maintained my speed and he had to slot in behind where there was still 10 car lengths to the next car, he then honks his horn and gives me the finger?
7 users like this post: