Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default stone by a B Double

Was travelling back from Parkes NSW on Monday arvo and cruised up behind a B double. He was travelling 100 kls/h, I was on a long straght and in a 110 zone when I trailed him by 2 or 3 car lengths waiting for an on comming truck and 4wd to pass giving me a clear straight run to pass when all of a sudden this guy I am following veared his B double to the left and into the pile of road 5mm agrigate on the edgeand spraying chips all over my car. I braked as hard as I could and although the gap quickly increased between us the chips seemed to keep comming from out of his mass of tyres hitting my car by their hudreds. I will not mention the company but as I finally over took I gave him a blast on my horm and extended the middle finger in an act of defiance to the big carless *****. Any way I went a head slowly keeping him in veiw for about tweenty Klms and saw him pull into a rest area so , I spun the GT....YES MY PRIDE AND JOY, around and went back to speak with him. I explained what had just taken place and he had no idea and didnt even reckonise the car that had just blasted its horn and hurlded abuse at him not five minutes earlier. I took one look at him and I could swear he was on somthing, might be wrong but gees I was ИИИИed. I left it and continued on. Have contacted the company which is a government run show and gave them the truck details today. don't know how I will go. just thought I would share this with evry one. cheers

Old 27-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Ah the joys of travelling behind trucks. Hope the front of the GT isn't too worse for wear, but it sounds like it did cop a few chips. A few weeks ago my father was travelling 2 car lengths or so behind a dump truck, which hit a bump/pothole/crater in one of the wonderfully maintained south-queensland motorways, and a whole heap of gravel was thrown over the back of the truck (must have been some form of landscaping/quarry work) and rained down upon the road, leaving a few chips in the XR6T's front bar and bonnet.

I myself had a large bit of something (probably rubber or plastic, it looked like a plumbing service) fly out the back of a ute on my way up to Brisbane last week and make a loud metallic banging noise as it bounced off the front of my car. I'm not sure what it was but luckily it hit the car just on the front edge of the bonnet where there was little chance of the metal giving, going by the black smudge I found there when I got up here. Then on the way back down to the coast later that week, a 4WD towing a boat about 4 cars ahead of me and one lane to the left blew one of its trailer tyres, which showered large pieces of rubber (the tyre basically ripped apart) all over the road and up into the front of my car as he veered across 3 lanes and pulled off the road.

Highways, got to love them.

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

Old 27-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
falcon91

I realise stone chips on your pride and joy is very upsetting and I hope it's not too bad. But, It reminded me of something that happened to me a few years ago.
I had just picked up my brand new VP Commodore (I know, it was before I saw the light!) anyway, I was driving from Penrith to Richmond and this dump truck turned on to the road about 50m in front of me and it looked like some thick liquid slopped over the side of his tray and landed on the middle of the road. With not enough room to brake or swerve I ran right over it. GOD!!! It stunk!! It was pig sh*t (I kid you not) It seems their is a pig farm near there and this guy picks up all the pig waste and carts it to god knows where.

Anyway, the heat from the engine, gearbox, exhaust, wheels and brakes cooks this pig sh*t onto my car. Indescribable smell permeated this commodore (It is funny as now, but at the time?) I drove to the RAAF base and steam cleaned the underside of the car for about half an hour, but the smell remained for weeks!

I can't stop laughing as I type, It was horrendous!! Laugh all you like.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Should be glad it wasnt bigger... Worse sh1t can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon91
... I was driving from Penrith to Richmond and this dump truck turned on to the road about 50m in front of me...
I had a similar incedent one day on one of the roads from Penrith to Richmond, Castlereagh Rd(100km Zone)

A peice of metal fell off a on coming truck, which came right through the windscreen.
Saw it fall... Bounced once and the damn windscreen pretty much exploded.
Landed on the back seat... Well thats where i found it.

Could have been lights out on that one...
Old 27-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
gozza

i was driving along the M1 when i noticed a double mattress covering half the left and middle lane so i swerved to miss it......next thing i encounter is a pedestool fan sitting dead in the middle on my lane...i couldn't swerve as other cars were in the other lanes so i came to a stop.......then a van came charging up behind me...he locked on the brakes and was in a slide so i planted it and the pedestool fan exploded into a million peices......i had just got my bumpers respryed and man i was anooyed......10 km's down the road some idiot was on the hard shoulder re adjusting his trailer cover.....stupid idiots

bad luck with the chips.....people never considor anyone but themselves on the roads....
Old 27-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
backinaba
TOO MANY FORDS!

I actually got a company to replace the windscreen on my XR6T when it was cracked by a dump truck dropping rocks in a roadworks. One stone chip on the bonnet but I didn't worry about that.

They just said sure and I sent them the bill for the screen.

A
Old 27-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
BlackLS

My brother his a concrete/sandstone block the size of a microwave in his SSS at 100kmh. He saw it and it was dead in the middle of the lane, so he tried to veer into the shoulder to miss it but couldn't. He hit it with the front right corner

Result:
1 smashed front bar,
1 smashed driving light
1 smashed fog light
1 ripped tyre
1 buckled rim

Old 27-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

How bad is the damage?

This is enough to break your heart...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 27-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
SIKXR8220

Had something similar happen to me while following a truck in my old car. The driver was all over the place and just before i was about to pass him a whole bunch of gravel came out of the rear trailer. Comapny paid for a front respray as i counted over 50 stone chips. Luckily i had a witness and my camera phone. The company at first refused to pay until i threatened them with photos, witness and the driver who happened to be a recruitment company casual admitted fault.

Old 27-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Ive had the same but with 1/4 cut wooden railway sleepers, thank christ it was brown jocks day and ive never been able to handle my car better than what I did on that day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 27-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

we have assholes in shepp that think its funny to lay star picket fence posts across the road... the make one hell of a mess almost as bad as the mess my mate made of the guy that was doin it... unfortunatly there are still ferals that do it...
anyways i hit an old t.v at about 90km/h in the daily driver last year, it fell out of a trailer when people where moving house, they paid for everything to be fixed, and gave me a bit of extra cash to prove that they were sorry...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 27-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I dont think anything can be done for a truck going off the road and throwing some stones, but for the restr where something fall off the truck you should be compensated. They must cover their loads or secure their loads and failing to do so is illegal.

I was behind a truck when a largeish piece of timber like a 4x2 fell off the side. One bounce and hit a BA XR6 going the other way right under the mirror. I immediately took the trucks number and pulled over, supplied my details to the cars owner.

Funny thin was im sure the trucky saw it because he sort of lifted off the gas when it happened and then seemed to think, bugger it ill keep going.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 27-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was lucky .... I had a truck drop a chunk of coal (size of a closed fist) right in front of me ... it hit the road ... I went to swerve ... it hit the top of one of my driving lights and bounced over the roof of the car.

I was lucky the LightForce driving lights are strong .... wasn't a mark left on the light at all .... and I am sooo lucky the chunk of coal didn't come through the windscreen.
Old 27-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

hmm b-double they move a bit, if you have ever had the fun of following a road train down a road with soft edges. for a start road trains 2nd or 3rd trailers move, a lot, and it isnt due to the driver either mostly it's due to the poor condition of the road and the constant camber changes. anyways i got sprayed not once but a couple of times as i went to overtake him
-----------------------
Old 27-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

When I had my EF XR6 (Dynamic White) I followed a flat top tray truck with skins on pallets, it did not take me too long to realise it was raining blood the entire car was covered.

I took it straight home and washed it could not get the stains off, and had to compound polish the entire car. Luckily i had taken the rego number and details of the side of the truck and took photos before i washed it, sent a invoice and eventually got paid for it.

I just told them i was going to send the details to the insurance company and suggested if they pay me they would save the additions that the insurance company was sure to add, and as they would end up paying eventually the better option was to pay me directly.

Worked for me.

On a side note I do minor windscreen chips and frequently get asked to make invoices out to trucking companies to reinburse the car owners. They must be the good trucking companies as I thnik most would just tell you to get knotted.
Old 27-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
On a side note I do minor windscreen chips and frequently get asked to make invoices out to trucking companies to reinburse the car owners. They must be the good trucking companies as I thnik most would just tell you to get knotted.
Hey coyote,
will have to get you to let me know if you can fix the one in my windscreen then..
yes it was from a truck and no I didn't bother taking rego or info down..
(and no, I wasn't tail gating - for once) :
Old 27-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

One time, a 1/2 metre long piece of steel came off the truck right in front of Mum in her EBII wagon. This big bit looked like it was coming straight at Mum's head, but Mum managed to brake hard enough so that it went into the front right tyre. It left a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece. She was incredibly lucky. It certainly gave her a fright.

Sorry to hear about the GT

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 28-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #18
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

You want to try driving one of these things loaded at 62.5tonnes on sub standard roads that off camber to the left......You just have to let the truck do its thing when it veers over, because if you dont and panic and pull the steering wheel hard right, you can high side them very easily.
Oh the joys of interstate trucking, glad i gave it up, too many ****ers on the road to deal with !!
Old 28-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #19
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinaba
I actually got a company to replace the windscreen on my XR6T when it was cracked by a dump truck dropping rocks in a roadworks. One stone chip on the bonnet but I didn't worry about that.

They just said sure and I sent them the bill for the screen.

A
This is true in most cases, being a driver myself, and a car enthusiast, I hate being behind what I drive. But noting the time, place and rego is generally enough to have your ride fixed. Believe me, it's worse for motorcyclists. Them stones Fxxxxn hurt... :sm_headba
Old 28-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
Believe me, it's worse for motorcyclists. Them stones Fxxxxn hurt... :sm_headba
Fxxken Aye...
Locusts are also painful, Found that out when travelling from Dubbo to Mudgee.
Old 28-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #21
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so are wasps when they tuck in under helmet,lol geez they do some damage while your trying to pull up and get your helmet off.
Old 29-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Thumbs up

You obviously got the name of the company, did you by chance get the rego?
If so and you have comprehensive insurance make a claim as you can identify the third party at fault you should not need to pay an excess or lose a rating.
I know for fact the company I work for states in its product disclosure statement minimum ID is a rego number. If it goes pear shaped you can alway withdrawl the claim.
Old 29-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Thumbs up

Sorry posted same thing twice
Old 29-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I drive the F3 and S.R. 111 (Pacific Highway) and the stuff i have to dodge is woeful. Add in 2 powerplants, a local quarry and a local cement plant and there is junk everywhere. Last week i ran doged 2 pieces of rigid plastic sheeting, roadworks sign and a lump of 4*2. Virtually every day im doding shredded radial tyres and when i drive locally i have to contend with 1000's of coal trucks, though i must admit the coal trucks arent as bad as the blue metal trucks which are responsible for 2 windscreens thus far.

Anyway enough of my rant, GT290 i hope you have some luck, the government might actually pay up.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 29-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #25
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
it's worse for motorcyclists. Them stones Fxxxxn hurt... :sm_headba
+1 they sure do
Old 29-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
Was travelling back from Parkes NSW on Monday arvo and cruised up behind a B double. He was travelling 100 kls/h, I was on a long straght and in a 110 zone when I trailed him by 2 or 3 car lengths waiting for an on comming truck and 4wd to pass giving me a clear straight run to pass when all of a sudden this guy I am following veared his B double to the left and into the pile of road 5mm agrigate on the edgeand spraying chips all over my car. I braked as hard as I could and although the gap quickly increased between us the chips seemed to keep comming from out of his mass of tyres hitting my car by their hudreds. I will not mention the company but as I finally over took I gave him a blast on my horm and extended the middle finger in an act of defiance to the big carless *****. Any way I went a head slowly keeping him in veiw for about tweenty Klms and saw him pull into a rest area so , I spun the GT....YES MY PRIDE AND JOY, around and went back to speak with him. I explained what had just taken place and he had no idea and didnt even reckonise the car that had just blasted its horn and hurlded abuse at him not five minutes earlier. I took one look at him and I could swear he was on somthing, might be wrong but gees I was ИИИИed. I left it and continued on. Have contacted the company which is a government run show and gave them the truck details today. don't know how I will go. just thought I would share this with evry one. cheers
First of all, it's a damn shame that this has happened. I hope the damage to your car was minimal, but there's a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

Firstly, there was stones coming from under his tyres heading towards your car. Quick quiestion, you've never flicked stones up at the car behind you and not realised? That's not the truck driver's careless act, it's a stone being caught in motion and sent in the most physically able direction. So the truck crept outside of the lines for a moment? When you say 'veered' was that because he swerved dangerously (as you make it sound), or he just wandered across slightly as often tends to happen with trucks, cars, God forbid even the odd Falcon. He might have done so to miss something on the road, he might have even done it to give you a bit more clearance to overtake him. He might have even done it for the same reason so many other drivers out on the roads today do it, simple error.

Secondly, you hit the horn, gave him the finger and took off past him. Then, you can't work out why he didn't recognise, or even notice, you. You've heard everyone whinge about trucks on the road before, surely. I spend most of my weekday in a truck. How many times do you think people jump on the horn, flip the bird and go past a truck? Every idiot who's unhappy about being caught behind a truck going uphill, the knobends who aren't happy with how long it takes a truck to accelerate to the limit, and the clowns who get upset when a truck pulls out infront of them with more than enough time to do so safely and legally, but then aren't doing the limit by the time the car gets to the truck. There's a couple of blokes at my work who will gladly jump out of the truck and "have words" with anyone who's heavy on the horn out on the roads, but the majority of them just don't pay any attention. Hear a horn? Turn up the radio. Just another ******** with an attitude. It's not a case of being on something, it's just that it seems like today there's more people wanting to make noise and point fingers at trucks on the road than people who don't. So most people just take no notice.

You took one look at him and knew he was on something? I reckon I could pick the expression on his face from the way you wrote your post, GT290. He probably looked like he didn't care? Looked like he was thinking "yup, another driver who's got something to say". Did he look at all like he was past the point of worrying about what abusive drivers have to say? As you said, the name and number of the company he works for were on the side of the truck you were staring straight at. Do you honestly expect him to get worked up about everyone who wants to fire off a couple of rounds at him? Or do you think that maybe he'll be thinking "Just let him say what he has to say and get on with delivering this load. Otherwise, I'm gonna do or say something that'll cost me my job."

How would you feel if the truck driver got back to his depot and rang the RTA with your rego and saying "I think this bloke was on something, the way he got so fired up. Must have had something in his system to get him going the way he was." Wouldn't be the nicest feeling in the world if you got a letter in the mail stripping you of your license as a result of that, would it. Just as it wouldn't be real pleasant for this bloke if he lost his job because you'd rang his bosses saying that you thought he was on something.

Stone chips are a way of life. Don't want them? Go drive around a skating rink. Sometimes you'll find yourself in a position where you're facing a great number of them and it seems like the whole world's against you as a result, but they're still just stone chips.

Ever had a bird on your car? Trust me, it's got nothing to do with a pidgeon clearing out it's guts after a big night on the spirits. It's just life.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Old 29-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #27
XRQTOR
Banned

Dude seriously He's a truck driver do you really think he'll notice if he flicks a few stones up. Iv'e seen a maloo ute hit a Double from the rear at 9ok's while it was at lights and the driver started to drive off as he didn't feel it.

On something, well try driving for 12 hours without stopping. Thats the legal limit but i will bet my balls he'd probally been on the road much longer than that.
Old 29-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #28
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i had Rock by Kids from Overpass straight in the windscreen.

Same day a mate got a washing mashine on the top side off his hilux from the same overpass...very harsh
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #29
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i had Rock by Kids from Overpass straight in the windscreen.

Same day a mate got a washing mashine on the top side off his hilux from the same overpass...very harsh
So many assholes... So few bullets...

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #30
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
First of all, it's a damn shame that this has happened. I hope the damage to your car was minimal, but there's a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

Firstly, there was stones coming from under his tyres heading towards your car. Quick quiestion, you've never flicked stones up at the car behind you and not realised? That's not the truck driver's careless act, it's a stone being caught in motion and sent in the most physically able direction. So the truck crept outside of the lines for a moment? When you say 'veered' was that because he swerved dangerously (as you make it sound), or he just wandered across slightly as often tends to happen with trucks, cars, God forbid even the odd Falcon. He might have done so to miss something on the road, he might have even done it to give you a bit more clearance to overtake him. He might have even done it for the same reason so many other drivers out on the roads today do it, simple error.

Secondly, you hit the horn, gave him the finger and took off past him. Then, you can't work out why he didn't recognise, or even notice, you. You've heard everyone whinge about trucks on the road before, surely. I spend most of my weekday in a truck. How many times do you think people jump on the horn, flip the bird and go past a truck? Every idiot who's unhappy about being caught behind a truck going uphill, the knobends who aren't happy with how long it takes a truck to accelerate to the limit, and the clowns who get upset when a truck pulls out infront of them with more than enough time to do so safely and legally, but then aren't doing the limit by the time the car gets to the truck. There's a couple of blokes at my work who will gladly jump out of the truck and "have words" with anyone who's heavy on the horn out on the roads, but the majority of them just don't pay any attention. Hear a horn? Turn up the radio. Just another ******** with an attitude. It's not a case of being on something, it's just that it seems like today there's more people wanting to make noise and point fingers at trucks on the road than people who don't. So most people just take no notice.

You took one look at him and knew he was on something? I reckon I could pick the expression on his face from the way you wrote your post, GT290. He probably looked like he didn't care? Looked like he was thinking "yup, another driver who's got something to say". Did he look at all like he was past the point of worrying about what abusive drivers have to say? As you said, the name and number of the company he works for were on the side of the truck you were staring straight at. Do you honestly expect him to get worked up about everyone who wants to fire off a couple of rounds at him? Or do you think that maybe he'll be thinking "Just let him say what he has to say and get on with delivering this load. Otherwise, I'm gonna do or say something that'll cost me my job."

How would you feel if the truck driver got back to his depot and rang the RTA with your rego and saying "I think this bloke was on something, the way he got so fired up. Must have had something in his system to get him going the way he was." Wouldn't be the nicest feeling in the world if you got a letter in the mail stripping you of your license as a result of that, would it. Just as it wouldn't be real pleasant for this bloke if he lost his job because you'd rang his bosses saying that you thought he was on something.

Stone chips are a way of life. Don't want them? Go drive around a skating rink. Sometimes you'll find yourself in a position where you're facing a great number of them and it seems like the whole world's against you as a result, but they're still just stone chips.

Ever had a bird on your car? Trust me, it's got nothing to do with a pidgeon clearing out it's guts after a big night on the spirits. It's just life.

you are entitled to your opinion and you make some good points, but regardless, there is a duty of care in all we do and we all pay for our faults or mistakes at some time. I am responsible for my actions the same as anybody. If I stuff up I will take the consiquense and so should he. It was not just a mere stone in the path of his travel, it was off the road and whether is was careless or acidental is not my worry. I never told them I thought he was on somthing, that would be speculation and not for me to say that in the complaint. And I don't sucumb to threats from anybody. I work underground, I work hard for what I have and why should some other bugger stuff it and get away with it. so what if he lost his job! No one would feel sorry if the shoe was on my foot. I would have to take what was comming. If it were to be left un said and I walk away like " happens" nothing would change and and things would remain hazardous more so.

You were right about the pigion too, I would expect anything else from such an animal with a brain the size of a pea but I expect more from an operator of a large peice of equipment.