Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #61
creative
I am Batman

Default Re: iPhone 5 Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova

Edit: there is this cool feature where i can take a photo and it will record the location - I LIKE THAT!!!! Ohh and the Live365 app
this on the I5.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #62
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydie76
Like others have said here, those of you proclaiming that Android/WP8/whatever will take the majority of Apple's market share are wrong. Sure, they will take some. But the majority that was there to take have already moved over after being underwhelmed by the iPhone 4S. Those are the true "feature users", those that give a damn about what processor, pixel density, etc is in their phone.
My mate who works in a telstra store, and is a devout apple fan... And i mean fan, told me that android now holds market share. I havent checked it but it suprised me that he said that! Lol

The majority of people who own iPhones use them however, not for the "features", but because they are easy to use. Heck, my mum figured it out in a day, that says a lot! People don't need such and such mega-screen/processor from Samsung, That apple are touting as well they need something that they can plug into their computer and have all their music magically move over to it in a way they are familiar with. Drag and drop not familiar enough?

And that familiarly would be 99% of the reason why this wasn't a massive revolution of the iPhone- why lose that incredibly stable and loyal market share's trust to gain a few people out there who are likely to jump between the manufacturers depending on who has the best specs anyway? True, but a self proclaimed innovator in the technological world...should be innovating, not sitting still

Long story short, pretty sure I will be camping out early come next Friday.
Im in a debate mood today!
Old 13-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sort of like Holden vs Ford. Some only like one or the other or switch between the two when they feel like it. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Personally I have never liked Apple products of any sort but obviously they must do something right otherwise they wouldn't be the worlds most valuable company. People don't pay money for things they don't like.

The very fact they are up to version 5 and people will still lineup for hours on end to get one says it all. I wouldn't complain if I had a business like that one bit!

Funnily enough for the last 2 or 3 phones I've owned that had all these fancy things I pretty much only use text and call. Only thing extra I use often is interwebz. 4G FTW!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #64
Nova 8

Quote:
those of you proclaiming that Android/WP8/whatever will take the majority of Apple's market share are wrong.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #65
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
this on the I5.
Yeah but its on my current phone and I dont buy a new phone cause i can, i buy a new phone cause my old one is dead. I assume ALL phones can take a photo and then add a GPS tag to it. Honestly I could get by with a Nokia 3210 and not miss a thing + have snake :O
Old 13-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #66
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Im in a debate mood today!
Point one- quantify market share. That could be 0.0001%- so immaterial it's not funny, but you still "own" part of the market. It's like saying "my company is profitable". What sort of profit are we talking? 1 cent or 1 million dollars? (can you tell I am an accountant?? )

Point 2- Apple can still market to multiple segments- choosing to target one sector does not necessarily mean shunning every other

Point 3- familarity here is also from a historical standpoint. iTunes has been around for over a decade (??? I think!!) and people used it for their iPods and such well before they got their iPhones. That is another point in itself really, people have used these items for so long they are locked into the Apple ecosystem- drag and drop isn't the issue, it's the hours spent converting your years of music (remembering that quite a while ago many songs were not in "itunes plus" format) to an Android/whatever friendly format, moving over whatever things you can, and repurchasing/downloading apps and other items where there isn't multi-platform compatibility. The hassle of that for many people out there would outweigh the benefits of switching manufacturers/OSes. (most people are inherently lazy, so what you are willing to so for example may not be the same as the majority of the popularion) Remember when I went to my iPhone 4 from a 3GS last year, all I had to do was pop the sim in (which Apple provided and activated for free, unlike the carrier retail store nearby who wanted to charge $30 for that priveledge), throw my account details on the home screen and sit in the apple store for half an hour while the iCloud backup I did that morning essentially cloned my 3GS in the new phone.

Final point- I agree, however innovation is subjective. I consider the iPhone 5 an innovation, however my definition of innovation may not meet others. do I consider it revolutionary? Nope, not at all. Do I care? A little, I am a more technological minded person than many other iPhone users, but in the end, it works like I expect and suits my needs.

And Nova 8, the dates on your graph are very interesting. December 2011, arguably just after the hype of the 4S, and after Apple's last iPhone release. Whereas multiple Android devices have been released since then. A better comparison would also look at sales from mid 2010 onwards- yes, the Apple graph would fall below Android in many cases, but the numbers around the releases (especially the 4) would be pretty insane.

It should also be noted that comparing OSes is slightly biased- Apple covers mid to high end of the smart phone market, with 4 models of phone (ignoring differing storage sizes). I'm about to go to sleep, and have no desire to try and even attempt to count the number of Anroid devices on the market (not saying that is a bad thing, I am just incredibly tired haha!). I could go and buy a $60 cheapo Hysun-thingy (forget the brand name sorry!) from Officeworks, and that would be counted in that graph along with the SGSIII. A better comparo again would be Samsung v Apple perhaps?

(as I said, going to sleep now, so argue with me all you want, not replying for at least 24 hours. If I remember even..)

(Also, apologies for typos. Bashed this out on a touchscreen, so probably not my best efforts)

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #67
Nova 8

its the first half of the current year???? whats wrong with that, more to the point what else should i post. The entire year????? Apple having more sales in 2010 then android just proves they are losing sales to them now, doesnt it???? Comparing OS is the best way to do it, the arguement is Android vs iphone, this is another reason the "freedom" of android is so apparent, they dont limit you to one phone. Limiting choice isnt good business sense its stupid. "Here's the new falcon, it only comes as a base model and in white" yeah smart...

Also for music, android doesnt need converting it just plays music much like windows media player, which has been around longer then itunes and more widely used too.

Im guessing icloud is much like google+ or whatever its called

Edit: you should include all memory formats of the iphone since they dont allow SD card like android phones do - ease of use anyone? I have 3 different Sd card for my phone Music (32gb) , games (8gb) and movies (32 gb). (games and movies never get used)

Apples hasnt reinvented the wheel with any of its products, they just wack an i infront of it. There were MP3 players before the ipod, media players before itunes etc

Last edited by Nova 8; 14-09-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Nova 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #68
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Point one- quantify market share. That could be 0.0001%- so immaterial it's not funny, but you still "own" part of the market. It's like saying "my company is profitable". What sort of profit are we talking? 1 cent or 1 million dollars? (can you tell I am an accountant?? ) I cant as i havent checked to see if its true....it just suprised me such a huge apple fanboi told me this.

Point 2- Apple can still market to multiple segments- choosing to target one sector does not necessarily mean shunning every otherLike samsung does.... People do care about those things tho and apple are targeting one sector yet samsung arent?

Point 3- familarity here is also from a historical standpoint. iTunes has been around for over a decade (??? I think!!) Drag and drop on windows? and people used it for their iPods and such well before they got their iPhones. That is another point in itself really, people have used these items for so long they are locked into the Apple ecosystem- drag and drop isn't the issue, it's the hours spent converting your years of music (remembering that quite a while ago many songs were not in "itunes plus" format) to an Android/whatever friendly format, moving over whatever things you can, and repurchasing/downloading apps and other items where there isn't multi-platform compatibility. The hassle of that for many people out there would outweigh the benefits of switching manufacturers/OSes.Just like those that choose not to be sucked into itunes have to do now if they do get an apple product (most people are inherently lazy, so what you are willing to so for example may not be the same as the majority of the popularion) Remember when I went to my iPhone 4 from a 3GS last year, all I had to do was pop the sim in (which Apple provided and activated for free, unlike the carrier retail store nearby who wanted to charge $30 for that priveledge), throw my account details on the home screen and sit in the apple store for half an hour while the iCloud backup I did that morning essentially cloned my 3GS in the new phone. Google back up is the same. I use the same log in details from my first android device from years ago.

Final point- I agree, however innovation is subjective. I consider the iPhone 5 an innovation, however my definition of innovation may not meet others. do I consider it revolutionary? Nope, not at all. Do I care? A little, I am a more technological minded person than many other iPhone users, but in the end, it works like I expect and suits my needs. I also agree. I like to tinker with my phones and android suits my needs more than IOS

And Nova 8, the dates on your graph are very interesting. December 2011, arguably just after the hype of the 4S, and after Apple's last iPhone release. Whereas multiple Android devices have been released since then. A better comparison would also look at sales from mid 2010 onwards- yes, the Apple graph would fall below Android in many cases, but the numbers around the releases (especially the 4) would be pretty insane.

It should also be noted that comparing OSes is slightly biased- Apple covers mid to high end of the smart phone market, with 4 models of phone (ignoring differing storage sizes). I'm about to go to sleep, and have no desire to try and even attempt to count the number of Anroid devices on the market (not saying that is a bad thing, I am just incredibly tired haha!). I could go and buy a $60 cheapo Hysun-thingy (forget the brand name sorry!) from Officeworks, and that would be counted in that graph along with the SGSIII. A better comparo again would be Samsung v Apple perhaps?
Im glad you picked that! I do agree that the apple Vs android debate is skewed due to the sheer number of phones running it.
(as I said, going to sleep now, so argue with me all you want, not replying for at least 24 hours. If I remember even..)

(Also, apologies for typos. Bashed this out on a touchscreen, so probably not my best efforts)
General concensus then is they are the same thing?

Night, enjoy your sleep!
Old 14-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #69
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I like that I can get an app that is secure. It doesn't have virus. I can use my banking apps without worrying about trojans. If using Itunes removes the risk of having my phone hacked or a virus hit it, then I'm all for Itines.
Downloading an app from iTunes doesn't automagically mean it's secure. A developer last year wrote an app for the express purpose of showing how weak Apple's certification process was. The flaw was found when the developer himself informed Apple of the security risk as they were oblivious several months later - and so were the people who downloaded it. Apple's response was to ban him.

Ultimately, I don't have or do anything on my phone that I would be concerned that someone else could access.. and I would never do *anything* financial on my phone.

Last edited by Rodp; 14-09-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #70
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Bloody hell ..... lost me after 'LOL' ......

I must be missing out on something ..... I have got the app thing that checks the weather and a couple of others I dont use ..... changing topic for just a sec ..... but what the hell is jailbreak .... apart from an ACDC song?????
For most it's probably not as necessary as it once was.

When I had my iPhone3G, there was an app that allowed you to tether your iPhone. The iPhone had the ability to do it, Apple just didn't want you to do it. Hence the word 'Jailbreak'. Could also change SMS tones, have information on your lock screen. I think it'll also provide rudimentary 'widgets' these days.

I have my iPad jailbroken so I can access the filesystem through iFile directly, mainly so I can attach external USB or drives to it when I want to. I was cheap, I got the 16GB version. If I'm travelling I like to have a larger library and videos to watch and the battery life of my iPad is far greater than my Android tablet (unfortunately..) which allows you to attach external devices without Apple doing their best to thwart you.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #71
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course Android holds market share. It's available on phones from many different manufacturers. Whereas the iPhone is a single product.

A true comparison would be a graph of the best selling Android phone vs the iPhone. Not sales of 30 different phones totalled together vs the iPhone alone.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #72
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL
Of course Android holds market share. It's available on phones from many different manufacturers. Whereas the iPhone is a single product.

A true comparison would be a graph of the best selling Android phone vs the iPhone. Not sales of 30 different phones totalled together vs the iPhone alone.
Samsung smartphones outsold Apple smartphones by nearly 2 to 1 the last quarter. The S3 alone recently outsold the iPhone - but you could probably attribute that to people waiting for the iP5.

Will be interesting to see what throwing W8 phones into the mix will do. I recently bought an S3, really had no interest in looking at a W8 phone. Maybe next time around I'll eval one but the interface just looks awful to me.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #73
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

iphone 4 v HTC bears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
seems fitting

i recently bought an HTC oneXL.
i was always a nokia user, but didnt like what they had to offer. everyone around me had iphone4/s and they were getting old/outdated.
my bro just bought a HTC one XL a week before me, i liked it, it has good features, easy as the iphone to use (my missus has an iphone).

compare it to the iphone 4s with a few basics (which is ho i bought my phone)
bigger screen
dont have to use itunes
can use as portable hard drive (effectivley a 25gb hard drive)
dont have to use itunes
4g compatible
dont have to use itunes....

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #74
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I find the whole iphone "haters" thing curious. A piece of tech can cause such strong emotion in people.

Apple have been a truly innovative company with Jobs having such a focus on make technology appeal to people. Think about what phones existed before the iphone and the usability of those devices. Apple changed the game and everyone followed their lead. I won't try to say that the technology they use is groundbreaking but the usability is brilliant.

MP3 players existed before the ipod but they did something special with the technology to make them appeal to consumers. Same with the ipad.

I also love their computer range, they make machines that are a pleasure to use and simple to operate.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #75
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I find the whole iphone "haters" thing curious. A piece of tech can cause such strong emotion in people.

Apple have been a truly innovative company with Jobs having such a focus on make technology appeal to people. Think about what phones existed before the iphone and the usability of those devices. Apple changed the game and everyone followed their lead. I won't try to say that the technology they use is groundbreaking but the usability is brilliant.

MP3 players existed before the ipod but they did something special with the technology to make them appeal to consumers. Same with the ipad.

I also love their computer range, they make machines that are a pleasure to use and simple to operate.

its just a pity you can only like this comment once......
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #76
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Apple have been a truly innovative company with Jobs having such a focus on make technology appeal to people
Bolded part one I disagree with because I fail to see what has been innovative with Apple since day dot (weren't Jobs and Gates partners at one stage in their lives?), however I will agree with bolded part two, as the unwashed masses wanted simplicity and got it.

iPhone was a game changer, but I will emphasise 'was'. Many other companies got on board as well and have outappled Apple. If Apple didn't want full control of their products and what you could have on them then there may be a possibility I would have one instead of the SGS2.
Old 14-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #77
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

i had a discussion with brother in law before buying my HTC

he said i should by the Iphone 4s because it has more apps...

that was the only argument he could come up with. at the time it was 600k compared to 300-400k...

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #78
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Bolded part one I disagree with because I fail to see what has been innovative with Apple since day dot (weren't Jobs and Gates partners at one stage in their lives?), however I will agree with bolded part two, as the unwashed masses wanted simplicity and got it.
Bill Gates has often talked about the impact Steve Jobs and Apple have had on the industry. If he can praise Jobs as a innovator and visionary I don't see why you have to bury your head in sand. To say that Apple have not innovated in the computer industry is like saying the sky is green. 99% of the planet can understand it. What Jobs could to is to look at technology and imagine how people could interact with it. He did that spectacularly well.

I understand it's a personal issue with you. For some reason you desperately despise Apple kit, maybe some un-culture I don't understand.

For someone who seems to like tinkering with computers I cannot understand why you wouldn't like a Mac. My machine comes with the full SDK, free of charge. I can write any programs I wish. It runs a unix kernel. All the IT pros I work with love them.
Old 14-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #79
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It comes down to what you want really.

I dont like to use apple/mac because i've been brought up on windows and linux, and I find they have more flexibility, but they're also what I have experience with. I also find I-phones very imcompatible and that they lock you in to using there software such as itunes MP4 etc .

That being said, if you want a simple to use, reliable, attractive phone that has the best apps, and compatibility due to everyone having one, then its the phone for you, I dont think you can fault the i-phone there. It is a very good product, probably the best on the market. I like to think if them as Toyota's minus the bland.

Personally, I prefer more freedom and space to move. Andriod gives me that, and the present HTC and Samsung flagships have hardware more than capable of holding there own against apple, the difference now is popularity, similar to xbox vs ps2, the PS2 had way more games, so most people bought it.

I'm hopeful the iphone 5 brings the samsung and htc prices down!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #80
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
It comes down to what you want really.

I dont like to use apple/mac because i've been brought up on windows and linux, and I find they have more flexibility,
So you have been bought up on Unix but don't like using a unix computer, which the mac is???
Old 14-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #81
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To some a phone is a thing you can make calls on, maybe check emails and do a bit of random interneting in pinch if there are no "real" platforms available.

To others their phone is more important than air, water or food as they can survive without any or all of these longer than without their phone.

I have an android 4G phone and an iphone. I use the iphone mostly purely because it works best with my FG2 Falcon. The iphone allows almost all functions like dial, contact list, CLID, call switching and merging and lots of other media functions without any actual physical interaction with the handset.

The android phone could answer calls but almost all other functions required actually touching the phone which is illegal while the car is operating.

If I could have my old black and white nokia from the 1990s with the external long range antenna work on wcdma850 I would trade both of them.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #82
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91falc
Wonder if they've fixed the iphone's main flaw, that if you drop them from anything over 10cm they shatter... Would be a good start.
I have dropped mine from over 1 metre high multiple times and it still works perfect.

My iPhone 4 is the best phone I have ever had.
It's so easy to use. Does everything I want it to no problems.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #83
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you have been bought up on Unix but don't like using a unix computer, which the mac is???
Mostly Windows, and linux to a lesser extent- I guess its more the desktop environment I dislike. I think Gnome and KDE were the ones I used on Linux kernal.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #84
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

iPhone for me but what would i know? Im a hipster that rides a fixie.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #85
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is a skill developed from lots of practice judging cars they have not driven and places they have not been.......

spat my peanut slice all over the keyboard you funny bugger
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #86
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apple may not have 'innovated' the different components inside the phone, but they did bring it all together pretty nicely.

And then the others followed...

I have no doubt the other companies have some worthy products out there. But there's no denying Apple changed the landscape.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #87
IDT
Marko

Man I feel old, I think anything without buttons sucks.

Why do they call them smart phones? No matter how much useless anti scoial tech crap they put on them you are still bound to forget where you left it?
Old 14-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #88
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I had 3Gs, 4, and 4s. All work phones. Did everything we needed.

I abused a 4s very well, and it still worked. When I was made redundant, I needed a phone, and could have kept the 4, but wanted to try something different. Went fora Motorola Razr.

The upgrade to ICS, finally came through in August. It does everything I need, but I reckon the iPhone just works better. I know some tech, but I couldn't get music to work when I loaded it on, which really got to me. So I went an bought an iPod nano. I used to just use the iPhone.

When the Razr is up for upgrading, it will be iPhone for me. Just easier to get music and stuff I want on it. I found wanting to do more on the Razr seems to be a bit more complicated than it was with the iPhone.

Just my thoughts.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #89
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You get better porn on Android.

Arguement over.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #90
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL
Apple may not have 'innovated' the different components inside the phone, but they did bring it all together pretty nicely.
It's easy to cherrypick, put it in a jpg and others will use it to claim it as fact. There were phones that looked like the iPhone before it was released and one of them was a Samsung (I'd add them if I wasn't on my iPad :P) There were phones with touchscreens. Pinch to zoom was being shown by Microsoft well before Jobs saw it (and they were describing it as 'nothing new' at the time). There were phones with icons that had rounded corners before the iPhone. These are the things that Apple beat Samsung across the head with because the US patent system is broken and there was a juror that had a bug up his ****.

I don't see Apple as innovative. I consider Jobs a visionary, though. He unashamedly stole ideas from other sources, bundled them into a singular product that captured the imagination of the market. He did the same with the iPod. Was nothing we hadn't seen before but it was bundled in a way that was appealing.

I have an iPod (because it integrates well with my FG) and a 'new' iPad because it's superior to Android tabs in several of the features that matter to me. I'm in the US at the moment and brought both an iPad and one of my Android tabs. Haven't even turned on the Android tab.

What I absolutely loathe about Apple is that they artificially restrict the way I want to use devices I paid for (and charge extra for the privilege). Two classic examples. When I had an iPhone3G you couldn't tether it. I had to jailbreak and buy a $30 app to do it. The hardware could do it, Apple didn't want you to do it. Was standard on Android phones at the time. The other, you used to be able to use the camera connection kit to attach external storage to an iPad. Part of an iOS5 update, they lowered the power on the port which stopped you from attaching USB sticks to copy files to and from your iPad. I can attach USB sticks, hard drives and even USB modems to my Android tabs.

The iPhone was a game changer - I absolutely agree. But if it wasn't the iPhone it would have been something else. Android didn't pop up overnight.