Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Default Jim Mock Motorsport

Hey guys,

I would assume this thread has been done 10 million times over, but i couldnt find anything in my searches.
Im looking at starting to upgrade my XR6, now i've heard JMM are pretty much the way to go in regards to 4.0l N/A performance which is fine.

I was looking at their prices, as i'm fairly new to this stuff I dont really know what is reasonable and what isnt, but the DEV-5 VCT kit is probably what i'm looking to have done to the car as a whole with around 160rwkw.

DEV5
VCT >160kW DEV "Street-Fighter" Headers, Modified Cat, 2.5" Hi-Performance Mandrel bent exhaust, Hi-Flow Intake Kit, "Race-Series" Head to full race specifications, Special Spark Plugs and Ignition Leads, JMM Ultimate Sequential Computer and Custom Dyno Tuning. ** $5,865

Is this price reasonable or would I be better sourcing this stuff indivdually?

pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Without getting into a crap throwing contest, I believe you would be better off sourcing the parts individually.

I honestly think with the right research and asking the right people, you will get those results for less.

But Im sure someone here who has gone thru JMM and done this individually can clarify this further.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Without getting into a crap throwing contest, I believe you would be better off sourcing the parts individually.

I honestly think with the right research and asking the right people, you will get those results for less.

But Im sure someone here who has gone thru JMM and done this individually can clarify this further.
Agreed.

Agreed.

Why not give Bluepower (site sponsor) a call or G&D (another site sponsor) a call and ask what they would recommend regarding another head, exhaust, computer, leads, plugs and dyno tuning etc, etc.

Get a handle on what each group claims you'll get for the money, then spend some time asking guys here who've already parted with their hard-earn for opinions. They'll be very open and honest and will have had success and made mistakes that you'll benefit from.

That's the best way I reckon. Don't be in a rush, just take your time.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Agreed.

Agreed.

Why not give Bluepower (site sponsor) a call or G&D (another site sponsor) a call and ask what they would recommend regarding another head, exhaust, computer, leads, plugs and dyno tuning etc, etc.

Get a handle on what each group claims you'll get for the money, then spend some time asking guys here who've already parted with their hard-earn for opinions. They'll be very open and honest and will have had success and made mistakes that you'll benefit from.

That's the best way I reckon. Don't be in a rush, just take your time.

GK
See above
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

True, but if you cant be stuffed and you dont have the time then there is nothing wrong with the JMM packages IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Yes, individually.

My 99 AU would be up around 155-160rwkw, probably 180 on the JMM dyno (lol) and all i have done is zorst, extractors, cam and tune. No work done to the head.

JMM have a reputation for having a generous dyno and charging through the nose and then not wanting to have anything to do with you after they take your money from what i have heard.

Go elsewhere imo.

Could always spend that 6k on a nice SC setup and get 200 @ the rears? Actually, i dunno if the vct sc is done?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JMM know what they're doing, they've spent heaps of time and effort into their 6 cylinder packages... I think its worth it, you know the results are guaranteed and have been tested MANY times before.... IMO
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
SIKSIX
Its gone V

i agree with redauxr8 and gk, i have a jmm dev 5 cam only. which i can recomend on the basis that it runs well without a tune, hammers with a tune and its like driving a std car when cruising. i done my own running around getting parts and the like. and i can tell you there are savings to be had.

but then again if you let them do it they will produce results, they just charge a bit, because they have alot of pakadges which means there have been lots of $$ and hours spent on R&D.

Id recomend doing it your self if your handy with tools and cars, if not you can get the parts and take it to a mechanic and i rekon you should have about $1500-2000 in change.

cheers, Danny.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Doing it yourself can net results like this :

Doing some sums with SLOAU, and this is what I have come up with. The whole car, including purchase, but not including WOVR, Rego, or servicable parts or towing, which is all normal stuff for a car, this is what Ive spent:
The car was $1150, $1320 including fees and towing home.
To fix suspension and light damage - $507.90
Panels - $100
Scrivets and nuts - $40
Tyre re fit plus rim - $41.50
Cam Surecam - $499
Vernier gear Crow Cams – $227.70
3g stall Torque converter industries- $420
Head gasket kit - $105
Exhaust and wheel alignment - $155
Head Bolts - $60
Trans shop (fit stall, service, flush, trans cooler and S5 wound up) - $650
Diff plus post - $550
Chiptorue tune - $400
Diff fitting and flush - $220
Grand total of ............. $5296.10!!!

Car at this point has 152kw (34 degrees, runs out of fuel at 4900rpm, and a hi stall) and 410 NM of torque.
At this point, including the car, I have spent less then the Dev 5 kit alone.

It doesnt look pretty, but it goes ok.
Still to come is:
Cat - $214
Leads - $85
Plugs - $81.35
Shaker and fitting - $50 !!!
Cat install - $80
Walbro fuel pump - $166
Retune - $400
Total, with a should have 160kw, and 450nm of torque, hopefully low 14's all done comes toooo - $6372.45
Budget build up and a half
Old 17-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Yeah that would be the general idea that I would be following regarding the build.
The only speed bump I have ran into so far is the VCT, I've seen a few examples of people that remove the vct cam and unit and replace it with a stronger cam and vernier gear but i dont know what harm that could have in the long term.

The other problem is that you are more useful with your hands Monty :P I know the basic stuff but thats pretty much it :(
Old 17-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im not that good at all. I have a couple of friends that have helped me immensely and for that I cant thank them enough. Stav, FS5, TechTrainer and a friend called Chook, they are the ones that done a lot of the work. But seeing it done once, has shown me just how easy these cars are to work on.
Old 17-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The JMM stuff is very good.
It's a drive-in drive-out service and the boys have done their homework as to what works.
I've used the DEV3HL cam and the DEV5 cam and the complete DEV5 kit on various cars, all with very good results on the dyno, on the track, and on the road.

My DEV5 kit produced 175rwkw on 2 seperate dynos, and it ran 14.4 @ 97mph with no traction (2.2 60ft) and standard road gears (3.45).
On the road, it felt very torquey, idled well, revved to redline easily, and all with a bog stock ECU. It didn't give much away to my current ride (see sig).
It should also be mentioned that my car was not set-up for drag racing, in that it had big sway bars, with stiff springs, and stiff shocks. In other words it launched very poorly.

They are no fuss, no BS kind of guys, and that can even boarder on to rudeness if the wrong things are said. Don't ask them stupid question and all is good.

I haven't had any problems with them on a personal level at all, yet some have stated that they have.

Your big question is can it be done with seperate items for less money.
Of course it can, however you'll need to be more clued up with what parts are needed, and you'll need to be honest with yourself with what you actually want.
And then you'll need a competant mechanic to fit it all and make it run right.

I would use them again in a heart beat.

Last edited by Sox; 17-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Yeah thats the same thing I have heard, but I would trust myself for anything except for the easy stuff like the CAI, changing brakes etc
Old 17-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Your big question is can it be done with seperate items for less money. Of course it can, however you'll need to be more clued up with what parts are needed, you'll need to be honest with yourself with what you actually want. And then you'll need a competant mechanic to fit it all and make it run right.
Sox, youve hit the nail on the head right there.
They have all the parts hat work together ready and waiting fitment.
To piece together your own kit requires HUGGGEEE amounts of homework, and knowledge.
This is where I have somewhat failed in some regards.
I have thrown together a lot of good, well known parts that Im HOPING will work together, things are pointing towards they are working well to a point. Ive made silly mistakes on the way, but its been a great (sometimes expensive) way to learn.
Would I do this again?? Yes, I would, I might change some of the parts I have used, for instance, I would rather like a dominator 4000rpm stall instead of what I have, its just way to tame. Id like a little bigger cam, and add some oil pump gears and stud girdle and let it rev. Id like to port my head a smidgen more and raise compression and get it tuned to E85, and Id LOVE to ditch the 3.9's for either 4.1's or 3.7's.
Id also probably go a Haltech or something of the sorts, with something I can have a few variances I can play with myself.

Anyway, in regards to Jim Mock, I havent ever dealt with him, I have heard good, and also bad, Ive heard a lot of conflicting stories about his stuff, and for that reason, I have nothing good nor bad to say about his stuff.
I know that his cams can be had cheaper, and his valve springs are great (supposedly Crow items), other than that, I have no knowledge of his gear.
Old 17-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
The JMM stuff is very good.
It's a drive-in drive-out service and the boys have done their homework as to what works.
I've used the DEV3HL cam and the DEV5 cam and the complete DEV5 kit on various cars, all with very good results on the dyno, on the track, and on the road.

My DEV5 kit produced 175rwkw on 2 seperate dynos, and it ran 14.4 @ 97mph with no traction (2.2 60ft) and standard road gears (3.45).
On the road, it felt very torquey, idled well, revved to redline easily, and all with a bog stock ECU. It didn't give much away to my current ride (see sig).
It should also be mentioned that my car was not set-up for drag racing, in that it had big sway bars, with stiff springs, and stiff shocks. In other words it launched very poorly.

They are no fuss, no BS kind of guys, and that can even boarder on to rudeness if the wrong things are said. Don't ask them stupid question and all is good.

I haven't had any problems with them on a personal level at all, yet some have stated that they have.

Your big question is can it be done with seperate items for less money.
Of course it can, however you'll need to be more clued up with what parts are needed, and you'll need to be honest with yourself with what you actually want.
And then you'll need a competant mechanic to fit it all and make it run right.

I would use the them again in a heart beat.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I mean i'm happy with the performance of my car at the present time. I think an idea would be to work on the visual aspect until I can get a lump sum together so I can make a decision of which way to go.
Old 17-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^And thats the point. I to have limited knowledge with doing it myself, but I know enough about what I want and what I should expect. Id go to them no worries, its a service aswell guys, they developed the gear so they can charge what they like really.

You can always do things cheaper yourself, and in some cases its rather easy. But if the risk is high is saving $1k or so really worth it?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

let us know how you go pmpdau.

I have nothing against JMM. But I also know there are others out there know as much or even more than they do. I guess it best to do your research carefully and choose from there.

Look forward to your results

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
johnny351
used to be johnny260

hey mate i have been to jmm many times spending over 40 grand i bought a car and got mods done on an older car from them they are great guys and id go back again but if i had the know how i definitely have the done the mods myself cause it costs a bit
johnny351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post