Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default help with Arepro harness for steering wheel controls??

So I finally bit the bullet and picked up a control harness from autobarn. Along with the alpine patch harness. Connected it all up the existing harness behind the alpine head unit. I used connectors however plan to solder it. Problem is though I still have no steering wheel controls :(

Has anyone else fitted an au2/3 with this harness and managed to get their steering wheel controls working?

Or is it most likely my steering wheel controls wouldnt work even with a factory headunit as something is wrong with them? I do have working cruise control buttons....

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: help with Arepro harness for steering wheel controls??

You need an interface for the steering wheel controls. if your Alpine has the socket for this it is fairly simple. there used to be a unit called the cat but their site is gone now.
I have one in my shed somewhere I think you can have it for $50 ( they were about 120 new) if I still have it . will have a dig in the shed if your interested

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I have read about those ones. My headunit does have the socket needed. I actually purchased all the needed parts from the aeropro gear. Still wont work though. Although I think I found the problem as my cruise control has stopped working so I think my steering wheel controls have too gone.

Now to figure out how to fix them as they were fine 2 days ago...

Toy Car Build
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
sly
Sly like a G6

I've done it but my experience is no help to you. It all just plugged together and worked.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Actually, now I think about it, the plug for my JVC head unit was a bit tight. It didn't want to slide home at first and needed a bit of force to push it all the way in. I don't think that'd be your problem though. My head unit doesn't have a separate socket for the SWC, it's in the wiring socket. The aerpro JVC harness however had a socket wired in so the patch lead's 3.5mm plug could be plugged straight in.

There's a thought, did you actually get the full SWC-capable aerpro harness? There are 2 types of aerpro system. One is just the basic harness to get the head unit working, it's usually $14.95 IIRC. The other has a black box and extra lead to get the steering wheel controls working and typically costs $129 - $159 or more depending on the retailer's markup. I assumed you had the right one but it's always worth clarifying something like that before trying to come up with other possible answers.

You should have a black box like the one next to the T-bar in this pic:

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?

Last edited by sly; 03-11-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added pic
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

^^^^
that's what you need is the little black box it comes with the 3.5mm plug
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I have the correct wiring harness as pictured above with the little black box and the 3.5mm jack (which pugs straight into my headunit).

I however have figured out tonight that I have no cruise control. I did 3 days ago. So I am thinking it is not actually the wiring between headunit and car but actually the steering wheel controls themselves?

Problem is I can't figure out why I have no cruise control...

Fuses are all ok and nothing else has been changed lately?

Toy Car Build
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Were your steering wheel buttons working with your old head unit?

There's another AU stereo thread, for ideas & suggestions. I think I saw something there about reversing a pair of wires if the head unit didn't work. Or it might have been a thread in the audio subforum under The Workshop.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently used the Aerpro setup for an Alpine unit in my AU2, everything works ok.
Control harness Type A Model CHAU23A with PN. APALPA adaptor cable and the 16 pin plug for Alpine unit with square holes PN. APP8ALPH (different PN for the round hole connector)
Just had to find the right wire so the auto aerial would function and found that in a wiring diagram. I spent nearly as much on the adaptors as the head unit
Made the factory speakers sound so much better so I left them in.
cheers
Bill.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
LOL. Me too.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
same here when i installed the pioneer avic-hd3 into my ghia i was surprise how good it sounded with the stock speakers i can't even turn it past half it's that loud , the so called premium head uint is just rubbish
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

i done a bit of a search on the net it seams for your SWC not to work could be either your horn fuse blown or the clock spring being faulty replace both of these or one of them and see if that does it. or b2tf can come up with an answer he seams to be the man.

cheers dean
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
i done a bit of a search on the net it seams for your SWC not to work could be either your horn fuse blown or the clock spring being faulty replace both of these or one of them and see if that does it. or b2tf can come up with an answer he seams to be the man.

cheers dean
Thanks Dean,
SWC originally worked. A month or so ago I had no horn, cruise and airbag lights were on. Replaced the clock sprjng and all was good. Now I still have horn and airbags are fine. It seems it is just cruise/SWC? Might try another clockspring as I have a couple more lying around. I will also double check all of the fuses again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
I recently used the Aerpro setup for an Alpine unit in my AU2, everything works ok.
Control harness Type A Model CHAU23A with PN. APALPA adaptor cable and the 16 pin plug for Alpine unit with square holes PN. APP8ALPH (different PN for the round hole connector)
Just had to find the right wire so the auto aerial would function and found that in a wiring diagram. I spent nearly as much on the adaptors as the head unit
cheers
Bill.
Thanks Bill,

I have the exact same parts. All up they cost me $140. Headunit was nearer $500 soo still worth it.

Toy Car Build
Old 20-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

my steering wheel audio controls ain't working i've tried 2 clock springs from the wreckers, still not working, all fuses are ok cruise control still works just the buttons for the audio, could it be the audio control buttons, i know that they worked with the original stereo or the ones from the wreckers are duds as well.

by the way i have a Pioneer avic-hd3 i have all the right harness from Aerpro even the little black box for au2-3

cheers dean
Old 22-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Check with Pioneer as their AVIC units are very hit and miss with what works and what doesn't.
Old 22-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #16
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

thanks aust, i knew you'll give an answer, i will email pioneer to see what they have to say about the AVIC's

cheers dean
Old 22-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Did the brother inlaws AU today (2nd month 2000 build date but sold in june) It has a gray dash and radio/cassette and the build date make it series 1 but some of the paperwork lists it as a series2 because of the first rego date. We used the aerpro stuff for a series 1 and the adapter for pioneer/sony. Volume up and down work well but seek is a bit hit and miss on radio but seems to be ok on cd (next track). Will see if it gets better with use as the seek button hasnt been used for years. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2GHIA View Post
thanks aust, i knew you'll give an answer, i will email pioneer to see what they have to say about the AVIC's

cheers dean
If you get nowhere with them Dean PM me the details and I will call their dealer only tech guys. I'm back to work tomorrow so can do it this week.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

no worries austin, thanks mate
Old 25-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
my steering wheel audio controls ain't working i've tried 2 clock springs from the wreckers, still not working, all fuses are ok cruise control still works just the buttons for the audio, could it be the audio control buttons, i know that they worked with the original stereo or the ones from the wreckers are duds as well.

by the way i have a Pioneer avic-hd3 i have all the right harness from Aerpro even the little black box for au2-3

cheers dean
Hi. Give autobarn dandenong a call (9792 5835) and talk to craig (the audio guru) or the fitter (who worked at aerpro for the last few years). Late pioneers use a pioneer/sony 3.5mm plug, not the pioneer only one. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 25-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #21
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Give autobarn dandenong a call (9792 5835) and talk to craig (the audio guru) or the fitter (who worked at aerpro for the last few years). Late pioneers use a pioneer/sony 3.5mm plug, not the pioneer only one. Cheers MD
thanks MD, i'll give them a call tomorrow or maybe pop down there and have a chat to them

cheers dean
Old 25-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #22
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks MD, i'll give them a call tomorrow or maybe pop down there and have a chat to them

cheers dean
Hi. If your going to drop in dont look for them on the highway, now down frankston dandy road just past greens road. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL